Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:48 pm

untar614 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
untar614 wrote:lunaraeon even ended up with the coolest apartment in the general law school housing, so anything is possible.

I dunno, there's this one guy rooming with me and I hear he's lame... :P

you don't say...

So guys, I was thinking we'd go out to 21 and up bars exclusively for the first couple months.

+1

I know this great place that is lax on age requirements, as long as you're a true-blue American.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
untar614 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
untar614 wrote:lunaraeon even ended up with the coolest apartment in the general law school housing, so anything is possible.

I dunno, there's this one guy rooming with me and I hear he's lame... :P

you don't say...

So guys, I was thinking we'd go out to 21 and up bars exclusively for the first couple months.

+1

I know this great place that is lax on age requirements, as long as you're a true-blue American.

This is fun.

Lax101

Postby Lax101 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:21 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
Lax101 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:Stilllll, did you end up swapping to LS housing? I got my assignment a couple hours after submitting my application this morning, and have a space in one of the buildings on 115th.

Mono, did you end up with Lenfest?

Do you mind sharing what you put as your housing budget? I was explicitly told by Columbia's housing department that there was nothing left. Unbelievable.

Maximum for apartment share, and $1700 for alone. What about you?

I went much lower. What are they charging you for 115th?

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Lax101 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
Lax101 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:Stilllll, did you end up swapping to LS housing? I got my assignment a couple hours after submitting my application this morning, and have a space in one of the buildings on 115th.

Do you mind sharing what you put as your housing budget? I was explicitly told by Columbia's housing department that there was nothing left. Unbelievable.

Maximum for apartment share, and $1700 for alone. What about you?

I went much lower. What are they charging you for 115th?

Around 1350 I think.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 pm

ph5354a wrote:
untar614 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:I dunno, there's this one guy rooming with me and I hear he's lame... :P

you don't say...

+1

This is fun.

:(

Postby 309020 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 pm

alicen wrote:sincere apologies as i am certain this has been asked before, but is there a specific page where you can check that all financial aid requirements for loan approval, disbursement, etc are listed and marked complete/incomplete? i feel like i stumbled onto this web page at one point but haven't managed to find it again. as first semester looms, i'm getting concerned that i actually have no idea how loans work / when i'll know if i have them / how i'll get them and so on. eek.

I've been wondering about this too. Back around that May 15 deadline, I called to see if I'd done what I needed to do, but the woman on the phone didn't even want to check with my name on my specific forms, so I just let it go. I've never seen a page that actually tells you whether CLS thinks you've completed the requirements.

But it seems like we should have heard something from FinAid about loan disbursement or hell, even approval on the Plus loans by now. I looked around and there's a place where you can log in with your UNI that seems like it should have monthly statements and loan information on it. It's [url]ssol.columbia.edu[/url]. But my E-Bill shows nothing and neither does my Loan History page. So I'm hoping that's because they haven't come in yet for anyone, and not because it means anything bad for me. I would email them about it, but I can't think I'd get much response on a holiday week, so I'll probably just wait til next week.

Edit: I did just find a checklist on that site. If you go to that link and log in, then under Miscellaneous on the side, click New Student Checklist. The only things I have checks for are proof of vaccination and health insurance waiver. I would worry, but it doesn't show checks by things the ASW has already confirmed I've done, like submit an ID photo and do the CBT. So I don't know what all this means.
Last edited by 309020 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 pm

ph5354a wrote:
untar614 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:I dunno, there's this one guy rooming with me and I hear he's lame... :P

you don't say...

+1

This is fun.

Where? When I was at CU all the bars were dicks about IDs except for la negrita which closed down.

Also: if you have an older sibling, steal their ID. My sister woke up one morning after I left to go back to school to find $20 in place of her driver's license.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Oy. Nope couldn't swap... law housing full, apparently (at least in my price range). At least that's what Julianne Utley told me. She said I may be able to try and transfer in September.

I can't believe you got a spot in 115th. What was your price ceiling on your application? PM me if you can. Such BS.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:33 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
lunaraeon wrote::( sorry. I thought they would do these in order of applications. Have you emailed Juliana Utley at any point? I emailed her after getting in, she told me I'd get my PID later, and when I submitted my application I emailed her again to make my housing preferences clear. Then she emailed back later to say I'd be getting my assignment in a little while.

I sent in my deposit last Friday, and when I hadn't received housing info by Tuesday, I sent her an email asking if there was anything I could do to get the ball rolling. I got the housing info emailed to me a couple hours later (yay for promptness on that one), and I sent the app in as soon as I could. Since I didn't see any place on the app to specify important factors, I emailed Juliana Utley right away and said that I wanted to clarify I was looking for a single and anything else was essentially irrelevant. That was Tuesday afternoon, and I haven't heard a peep since.

I would've thought turnaround time would be pretty quick, because how many people could they possibly be dealing with last week and this week? Like five tops, right? I was wondering if my request was causing it to take extra time, but it doesn't seem like something that's conducive to a lot of legwork--either there are still singles left or there aren't. I thought I was flexible enough to give them the latitude to put me in ANY single they have--I said it didn't matter where, as long as it was in Morningside Heights, and I set the maximum budget available. I presume 420 West 116th is long gone, but I thought Lenfest would still have some spots available (and you said Utley said they were, in fact, spots available as of Saturday, right?). At the very least, Lionsgate has to have spots open. I don't want to pay that rent but I would bite the bullet if it were the only single left.

Yeah, what I mentioned earlier was a direct quote from her email mid-Saturday.
"Hi lunaraeon - Yes, there is still housing available. A majority of available housing is in either Lenfest Hall, or the general graduate student housing shares. As soon as you receive your PID from admissions, go ahead and put in an application. I'll see what we can get done."
It sounds like you did exactly what I did, so I don't know what's up. Shoot off another email to double-check?

Haha, looks like that pre-application e-mail did you wonders.

Like the other poster, I was explicitly told there was no law housing left. W.T.F. I am in those general graduate student housing shares. Think I'll just have to bite the bullet, and come stoop over on 115th and Lenfest when I can with ya'll.

Edit: Though if you're paying 1350, that's right outside of what I put as my ceiling. So it makes sense. Though in my e-mail I said I'd like to know all available options, even ones outside my original specified price ranges.

Lunareon, what's the Sqr footage of your apartment share / room? I'm curious if the 300$ difference between our apartment shares is due to yours being strictly law students, or if you have more space, or are better furnished, or whatever.

In any respect I'm totally prepared to live in a closet eating ramen for the next few years anyway. The less money spent on rent and food = more money on alcohol, of course :wink:

What's the word on this secret FB group? I want in... tell me who to PM with my info.

Also, regarding loans and etc... it's tricky for those off the WL. I think I've submitted everything needed (all the forms, applications, and the MPN on the fed website), so now I'm just waiting... this was only completed a week ago. I will call today anyway.
Last edited by StillIll on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 pm

309020 wrote:
alicen wrote:sincere apologies as i am certain this has been asked before, but is there a specific page where you can check that all financial aid requirements for loan approval, disbursement, etc are listed and marked complete/incomplete? i feel like i stumbled onto this web page at one point but haven't managed to find it again. as first semester looms, i'm getting concerned that i actually have no idea how loans work / when i'll know if i have them / how i'll get them and so on. eek.

I've been wondering about this too. Back around that May 15 deadline, I called to see if I'd done what I needed to do, but the woman on the phone didn't even want to check with my name on my specific forms, so I just let it go. I've never seen a page that actually tells you whether CLS thinks you've completed the requirements.

But it seems like we should have heard something from FinAid about loan disbursement or hell, even approval on the Plus loans by now. I looked around and there's a place where you can log in with your UNI that seems like it should have monthly statements and loan information on it. It's [url]ssol.columbia.edu[/url]. But my E-Bill shows nothing and neither does my Loan History page. So I'm hoping that's because they haven't come in yet for anyone, and not because it means anything bad for me. I would email them about it, but I can't think I'd get much response on a holiday week, so I'll probably just wait til next week.

Yeah, it says that your e-bill won't be available until 7/8, so I wouldn't worry that you don't have anything there. Fwiw, I'm doing a private loan, and that bank has been "verifying with the institution (Columbia)" for about three weeks now and I got a letter saying it may take even longer. I'm guessing all loan disbursements are in that same timeline, so it's just a matter of how quickly Columbia verifies the amounts we all requested, whether private or federal. As long as you have everything to your lender (application, promissory note, etc.), I wouldn't worry about it quite yet.

ETA: The term I was looking for is "School Certification". If you have all your shit in to the lender, that's what's happening right now, so there's probably no reason to call just yet.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 pm

While we're on this housing kick, I was wondering... all of the apartments make reference to "ethernet service"... does this mean there is no wifi in the housing (can only connect via to internet via a cable), or is this a general way of referring to high-speed internet? Obviously I'm not a child, so strictly ethernet-cable based internet will be totally fine (may need to buy an extension cord), but I am curious.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

StillIll wrote:While we're on this housing kick, I was wondering... all of the apartments make reference to "ethernet service"... does this mean there is no wifi in the housing (can only connect via to internet via a cable), or is this a general way of referring to high-speed internet? Obviously I'm not a child, so strictly ethernet-cable based internet will be totally fine (may need to buy an extension cord), but I am curious.

From what I've seen, it just means that you have to have your own wireless router for wifi service --it's not provided.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:48 pm

ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:While we're on this housing kick, I was wondering... all of the apartments make reference to "ethernet service"... does this mean there is no wifi in the housing (can only connect via to internet via a cable), or is this a general way of referring to high-speed internet? Obviously I'm not a child, so strictly ethernet-cable based internet will be totally fine (may need to buy an extension cord), but I am curious.

From what I've seen, it just means that you have to have your own wireless router for wifi service --it's not provided.

Ok, very cool. Thanks.

Postby 309020 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

ph5354a wrote:
309020 wrote:

Yeah, it says that your e-bill won't be available until 7/8, so I wouldn't worry that you don't have anything there. Fwiw, I'm doing a private loan, and that bank has been "verifying with the institution (Columbia)" for about three weeks now and I got a letter saying it may take even longer. I'm guessing all loan disbursements are in that same timeline, so it's just a matter of how quickly Columbia verifies the amounts we all requested, whether private or federal. As long as you have everything to your lender (application, promissory note, etc.), I wouldn't worry about it quite yet.

ETA: The term I was looking for is "School Certification". If you have all your shit in to the lender, that's what's happening right now, so there's probably no reason to call just yet.

Okay good. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one not hearing things about it. I saw on some general Columbia website on how to pay student bills that the first bill for the new school year wouldn't come out until early August, so I guess they're in no rush.

Maybe it's better that it's moving slowly so Congress can get off its ass in July and save us from these new ridiculously high interest rates.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 pm

StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Ok, very cool. Thanks.

The students in the apartment I visited were saying how it was kind of lame that everyone is charged an individual rate for internet instead of a per apartment rate, because each apartment can only use one router, regardless of how many people are living there. I know nothing about routers, but I guess this indicates that in the 3+ bedroom apartments, the internet connection may be bogged down compared to the studios/1 bedrooms. Still better than having to set it up on your own though.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 pm

309020 wrote:Maybe it's better that it's moving slowly so Congress can get off its ass in July and save us from these new ridiculously high interest rates.

Are they actually going to do anything? I try not to read the news because it makes me want to end myself.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 pm

I think it's more that with three people in an apartment share they collectively end up paying 3x more for internet than a person in a single, because it's not like you get any "more" internet by having each individual pay a full ethernet fee.

In other words, it's lame that the ethernet fee is not divided into thirds for each member of the apartment share.

Perhaps bogging down / saturation has something to do with it too. I hope the connections are strong enough to support 3 peeps.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:59 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
309020 wrote:Maybe it's better that it's moving slowly so Congress can get off its ass in July and save us from these new ridiculously high interest rates.

Are they actually going to do anything? I try not to read the news because it makes me want to end myself.

I'm sure they will, but not until the 11th hour. Interest rates only doubled for the subsidized Stafford, which was originally 3.4%. All my loans are already at 6.8%, so I'm sort of ambivalent about this.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

I'm sure they will, but not until the 11th hour. Interest rates only doubled for the subsidized Stafford, which was originally 3.4%. All my loans are already at 6.8%, so I'm sort of ambivalent about this.

Oh, so the rates aren't actually going up for unsubsidized stafford and grad plus?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:00 pm

StillIll wrote:I think it's more that with three people in an apartment share they collectively end up paying 3x more for internet than a person in a single, because it's not like you get any "more" internet by having each individual pay a full ethernet fee.

In other words, it's lame that the ethernet fee is not divided into thirds for each member of the apartment share.

Perhaps bogging down / saturation has something to do with it too. I hope the connections are strong enough to support 3 peeps.

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant --I think they were also saying that because their apartment was larger (this was a 3 bedroom) there were certain areas where the signal wasn't as good. So maybe it's more about the size of the apartment rather than the number of people using it. Oh well. We'll see.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Oh, so the rates aren't actually going up for unsubsidized stafford and grad plus?

Nope. Subsidized Stafford rates just went up to the Unsubsidized levels.

StillIll

Postby StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:I think it's more that with three people in an apartment share they collectively end up paying 3x more for internet than a person in a single, because it's not like you get any "more" internet by having each individual pay a full ethernet fee.

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant --I think they were also saying that because their apartment was larger (this was a 3 bedroom) there were certain areas where the signal wasn't as good. So maybe it's more about the size of the apartment rather than the number of people using it. Oh well. We'll see.

For sure. Which apartments did you end up in?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:02 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Nope. I'm sure headlines get an awesome click rate when they say "STUDENT LOAN RATES SET TO DOUBLE", but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Still though, it's adversely affecting the lowest income students, so definitely a major issue.

--LinkRemoved--

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm

StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

For sure. Which apartments did you end up in?

A 3 bedroom share on W. 111th. It's just over $1,000 and my bedroom is a decent size so I'm pretty pleased.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm

ph5354a wrote:Nope. I'm sure headlines get an awesome click rate when they say "STUDENT LOAN RATES SET TO DOUBLE", but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Still though, it's adversely affecting the lowest income students, so definitely a major issue.

--LinkRemoved--

It's definitely a major issue, I agree. I just didn't realize I wouldn't be directly affected.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”