Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Housing questions: Presuming 420 W. 116th is dead, is Lenfest the next best shot at a single? I'd like to avoid the Lionsgate rent if I can, but I'd bite the bullet if it were the only way to get a single. Also, is there no place on the application to list the specific factors that are important to you, or I am just a dolt who missed it?

I sent Juliana Utley an email saying that getting a single is far and away my first priority, and I'd be willing to take anything to make that happen--hope it gets taken into account. Side note: That woman is fast rising up my awesome list. Sent her an email asking if there was anything I could do to speed up the housing process without my CUID. Received all the info two hours later.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Housing questions: Presuming 420 W. 116th is dead, is Lenfest the next best shot at a single? I'd like to avoid the Lionsgate rent if I can, but I'd bite the bullet if it were the only way to get a single. Also, is there no place on the application to list the specific factors that are important to you, or I am just a dolt who missed it?

I sent Juliana Utley an email saying that getting a single is far and away my first priority, and I'd be willing to take anything to make that happen--hope it gets taken into account. Side note: That woman is fast rising up my awesome list. Sent her an email asking if there was anything I could do to speed up the housing process without my CUID. Received all the info two hours later.

Indeed, she's pretty great. I think your email will probably be enough - I sent her one with some pretty specific requests and got something that worked. I'd maybe specify that you'd be willing to move over to UAH to get a single if there aren't any left in LS-specific housing (if you are, that is). Lenfest and 420 are probably booked or close to it.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is an absolute SHITSTORM on the Facebook page today about Shelby County. Don't care to read it or participate.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm

cws277 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is an absolute SHITSTORM on the Facebook page today about Shelby County. Don't care to read it or participate.

Oh yeah, that thing is pretty epic. I'm gonna have to get caught up on that thing, and then the case (or maybe the other way around?) some time soon.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:51 am

cws277 wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but there is an absolute SHITSTORM on the Facebook page today about Shelby County. Don't care to read it or participate.

Care to summarize for us facebook luddites?

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:01 am

Not sure if anyone is still looking for housing, but I currently live in a beautiful apartment on the uws, but will be moving out to attend Cornell Law. Females only -- message me if you're interested!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

beepboopbeep wrote:

0Ls argued about things for a little while.

And now, following DOMA and Prop 8, they will presumably argue about more things for longer.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

And now, following DOMA and Prop 8, they will presumably argue about more things for longer.

The DOMA and Prop 8 postings will probably be something more akin to a circle jerk.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

The DOMA and Prop 8 postings will probably be something more akin to a circle jerk.

It's Columbia. Presuming the FedSoc prospectives are hiding in the shadows, every political-ish post will be a circle jerk.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:41 am

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

No way - too many opportunities for people to demonstrate how superior their knowledge of precedent is compared to the rest of us. The gunning has started.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:The DOMA and Prop 8 postings will probably be something more akin to a circle jerk.

No way - too many opportunities for people to demonstrate how superior their knowledge of precedent is compared to the rest of us. The gunning has started.

...I'm not going to feel this mild-to-moderate disdain for EVERYONE at CLS, right?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:The DOMA and Prop 8 postings will probably be something more akin to a circle jerk.

...I'm not going to feel this mild-to-moderate disdain for EVERYONE at CLS, right?

The gunning has indeed started. Though I'm pleasantly surprised that in the grand scheme of facebook conversations about politics, at least these ones are relatively informed and congenial. That's something.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:19 am

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

The gunning has indeed started. Though I'm pleasantly surprised that in the grand scheme of facebook conversations about politics, at least these ones are relatively informed and congenial. That's something.

Yes, despite my initial pooh-poohing, the conversation yesterday wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 pm

cws277 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Yes, despite my initial pooh-poohing, the conversation yesterday wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

what exactly were you expecting?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:52 pm

It isn't THAT bad--no one's time is being wasted (unless you feel compelled to read every comment thread), the comments are, at the very least, sensible, and no political wars have started.

If this discussion happened, say, in the middle of Con Law, I might be more angry. But whatever. Gunners gonna gun.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:It isn't THAT bad--no one's time is being wasted (unless you feel compelled to read every comment thread), the comments are, at the very least, sensible, and no political wars have started.

If this discussion happened, say, in the middle of Con Law, I might be more angry. But whatever. Gunners gonna gun.

yeah, i saw a few comments that used unnecessarily complex language when it the same thing could have been said much more simply, but beyond that, idk what would be provoking your mild-to-moderate disdain.

lol, a friend of mine who is also going to CLS fb messaged me about how he doesn't know anywhere near what those ppl do. Told him not to worry as it'll all even out relatively soon.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I disdain the obvious and blatant gunning, as well as some people's clear need to "look intellectual" in the referred posts instead of just clearly stating their point.

But again, meh. My tolerance level for that stuff is high, and I presume it will only grow come 1L.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 pm

y'all are being so harsh! it's a great day and a great decision

its a law school, of course people on FB are talking about SCOTUS decisions!

I'm sure we'll find out who is actually commenting soon enough

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

For the record, I've commented on the DOMA thread, but not on yesterday's (that was a little too intense for me) and I am UNASHAMED. I know other TLSers commented too :D

cws277

Postby cws277 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:11 pm

On a sightly unrelated point, CLS really needs to step up their PR game. NYU tweeted today congratulating (NYU LLM alum) David Boies on the Prop 8 case, but there's absolute silence from the Columbia twitter account congratulating either of the two CLS alums who represented Edie Windsor before the Supreme Court (SG Verilli and Roberta Kaplan from Paul Weiss). C'mon CLS.

Maybe these things only bother me.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:14 pm

cws277 wrote:On a sightly unrelated point, CLS really needs to step up their PR game. NYU tweeted today congratulating (NYU LLM alum) David Boies on the Prop 8 case, but there's absolute silence from the Columbia twitter account congratulating either of the two CLS alums who represented Edie Windsor before the Supreme Court (SG Verilli and Roberta Kaplan from Paul Weiss). C'mon CLS.

Also, helloooo - Ginsburg? she was huge in both days' decisions
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm

cws277 wrote:On a sightly unrelated point, CLS really needs to step up their PR game. NYU tweeted today congratulating (NYU LLM alum) David Boies on the Prop 8 case, but there's absolute silence from the Columbia twitter account congratulating either of the two CLS alums who represented Edie Windsor before the Supreme Court (SG Verilli and Roberta Kaplan from Paul Weiss). C'mon CLS.

I hadn't put that together, but it bothers me too. CLS' social media presence on the whole is lacking --no CLS Facebook page too, right?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

For the record, I've commented on the DOMA thread, but not on yesterday's (that was a little too intense for me) and I am UNASHAMED. I know other TLSers commented too :D

somebody is lovin them hashtags lol

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

somebody is lovin them hashtags lol

Haha the hashtags are my favorite part of the whole thread.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Also, helloooo - Ginsburg? she was huge in both days' decisions

Not to mention that implementing the scores of federal regulations that will put the DOMA ruling into practice is going to be the responsibility of still another CLS alum, Eric Holder.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”