Columbia Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Audeamus

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Postby Audeamus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 pm

cws277 wrote: I'm moving in on August 1st - anyone else coming in that early and want to hang before Orientation?

I'm moving in on the 5th. Let's be friends.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:52 pm

untar614 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Can anyone fill me in on what kind of housing I can expect this late in the game? Could I get anything that could be called "near" the school?

Yeah, it may be too late to get the law school housing, but most of the university housing isn't too far away.

Just make sure you don't get assigned to the Arbor. Man, that commute would drive me nuts.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 pm

smdpnp wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Can anyone fill me in on what kind of housing I can expect this late in the game? Could I get anything that could be called "near" the school?

Yeah, it may be too late to get the law school housing, but most of the university housing isn't too far away.

Just make sure you don't get assigned to the Arbor. Man, that commute would drive me nuts.

It's definitely not too late for law school housing tho. And mono's parents are picking up the tab so he might as well get a penthouse in lionsgate. I know there are several left available

cws277

Postby cws277 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
untar614 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:In the most improbable event since Hickory High won the state title in '52, I'm checking in.

Can anyone fill me in on what kind of housing I can expect this late in the game? Could I get anything that could be called "near" the school?

Yeah, it may be too late to get the law school housing, but most of the university housing isn't too far away. I just hope Tekrul's warnings about UAH housing aren't super common.

If any of the 1/2/3Ls are checking this, can anyone that's lived in general UAH as a law student speak to the ability to avoid being surrounded by undergrads (like, if you request it)? Or will living in UAH inevitably result in you being disturbed by undergrad parties? (I'm already in Law School housing, I'm just wondering)

When I was visiting for ASW and saw the UAH housing on 119th, it didn't look like there were undergrads around. The apartments were nice & less expensive than LS housing. If anything, there were university employees and other graduate students there. I tried to enter into that lottery, but they ended up placing me in LS housing anyway ;/

Two disclaimers: (1) I have not "lived" in UAH housing and (2) my experience is specific to one building. I'll be living in non-LS UAH housing somewhat far from the law school (not the Arbor, phew). I was able to visit the building I was assigned a few weeks ago and it is obvious from talking to the landlord that no undergrads live there - my building is a mix of grad students, faculty, and elderly people who have lived in the building since before Columbia owned it.

Lax101

Postby Lax101 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:41 pm

checking in here. Does anyone have advice for switching housing?

I set a fairly aggressive (low) housing budget on my application, and I was assigned to UAH housing that is pretty damn far away (close to a mile from the law school). I called UAH, and they more or less told me that if I decline the assignment, I'm SOL.

I'm not happy about the neighborhood I was placed in or the distance. I'd gladly up my housing budget considerably to be closer. Has anyone had success making switches? I wish there was somewhere on the housing assignment that listed a priority to be close to the school...

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 pm

While I don't have advice for switching houses, I will say that a bicycle will make the distance insignificant and you should consider bringing one along with you. It would make that trip less than 5 minutes at a leisurely pace. As for being unhappy with the neighborhood, I suppose you could utilize Columbia University Off-campus Housing Assistance since 'on-campus' options are inflexible at this time. http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/intro-ocha-3

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Lax101 wrote:checking in here. Does anyone have advice for switching housing?

I set a fairly aggressive (low) housing budget on my application, and I was assigned to UAH housing that is pretty damn far away (close to a mile from the law school). I called UAH, and they more or less told me that if I decline the assignment, I'm SOL.

I'm not happy about the neighborhood I was placed in or the distance. I'd gladly up my housing budget considerably to be closer. Has anyone had success making switches? I wish there was somewhere on the housing assignment that listed a priority to be close to the school...

Switched to a nicer place when friends visited the place I was assigned and it sucked

UAH/LS housing still have units available. Just ask juliana utley and she'll work with you

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Lax101: Go with jbagel's advice. I was only assuming housing was inflexible due to your post saying UAH said your SOL if you decline. I thoight by UAH you meant juliana and the housing staff for proper housing transfer channels.

Cosmopolitanist

Postby Cosmopolitanist » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 am

Aight I'm kicking it over at lionsgate. Move-in day is like the 12th of august.

Who wants to be my BFF?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Cosmopolitanist wrote:Aight I'm kicking it over at lionsgate. Move-in day is like the 12th of august.

Who wants to be my BFF?

Lionsgate? you are probably absurdly wealthy. I'm down. I also move in Aug 12. Yes I will be your BFF.

JK, I'm sure I'll like you for your personality :)

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Cosmopolitanist wrote:Aight I'm kicking it over at lionsgate. Move-in day is like the 12th of august.

Who wants to be my BFF?

Lionsgate? you are probably absurdly wealthy. I'm down. I also move in Aug 12. Yes I will be your BFF.

JK, I'm sure I'll like you for your personality :)

I could definitely use some friends with lionsgate-type personality. I'll be in late on the 13th.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:21 pm

BFF wars begin. I'll warn you all, I almost went pro in the companionship business. Good luck amateurs 8)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:58 pm

How long should I be waiting for a PID number? If they've had Friday and Monday to send it, should I be antsy? Should I just send Juliana Utley an email to see if I can get the ball rolling on housing?

Also, my parents are absolutely thrilled to be able to sleep on my future couch instead of having to pay $200 a night whenever they want to spend a weekend in NYC. So I've been informed NYC trips are going to be very frequent. Not sure either of them believed me when I said I seriously will not have time to hang out with them during 1L.

Bright side: Their desire to crash at my place has led to demand (DEMAND) that I get my own place, which means they approved a pretty high maximum budget. My future place will be baller. Any of y'all are welcome to stay, in Tekrul's case because he has to commute out to the depths of hell, and in everyone else's case presumably because you're too drunk to remember where you live.

Side note: There are a lot of grand SO plans being made. Am I the only single person here? It's not even orientation and I already feel left out :(

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Side note: There are a lot of grand SO plans being made. Am I the only single person here? It's not even orientation and I already feel left out :(

Your tar is not helping. :wink:

untar614

Postby untar614 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:How long should I be waiting for a PID number? If they've had Friday and Monday to send it, should I be antsy? Should I just send Juliana Utley an email to see if I can get the ball rolling on housing?

Also, my parents are absolutely thrilled to be able to sleep on my future couch instead of having to pay $200 a night whenever they want to spend a weekend in NYC. So I've been informed NYC trips are going to be very frequent. Not sure either of them believed me when I said I seriously will not have time to hang out with them during 1L.

Bright side: Their desire to crash at my place has led to demand (DEMAND) that I get my own place, which means they approved a pretty high maximum budget. My future place will be baller. Any of y'all are welcome to stay, in Tekrul's case because he has to commute out to the depths of hell, and in everyone else's case presumably because you're too drunk to remember where you live.

Don't worry, I'm single too. We can hit up the night life together and host sweet parties at ur kickass pad. Though honestly, I'm thinkin for long-term purposes, the medical center just north is the real place to go.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

untar614 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:How long should I be waiting for a PID number? If they've had Friday and Monday to send it, should I be antsy? Should I just send Juliana Utley an email to see if I can get the ball rolling on housing?

Don't worry, I'm single too. We can hit up the night life together and host sweet parties at ur kickass pad. Though honestly, I'm thinkin for long-term purposes, the medical center just north is the real place to go.

I'm not single but I will be doing long distance. So I will join these outings (if you will have me) as a wing man/cheerleader. I will need to have friends to distract me from missing my boo.

applemaroon

Postby applemaroon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Last edited by applemaroon on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Aussiebum wrote:

"Are you dating anyone?"
"Maybe. I don't know...not really."

Look, CLS girls: I'm sorry. I just, uh...you're not terribly important to me.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Edited/Censored

Sweet crash pad, single friends, beer pong - I feel like the most interesting unavailable man in the world.

XX

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 pm

applemaroon wrote:

No.

I am single as balls.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Look, CLS girls: I'm sorry. I just, uh...you're not terribly important to me.

♫ If you were gaaaay, that'd be okay!♫

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 pm

ph5354a wrote:
applemaroon wrote:

No.

I am single as balls.

Isn't that about as paired as you can get? :wink:

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:
applemaroon wrote:

No.

I am single as balls.

Isn't that about as paired as you can get? :wink:

I am single as lance armstrong's balls.

Aussiebum

Postby Aussiebum » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 am

Aussiebum wrote:

"Are you dating anyone?"

I was going to take your offer to hang out in your "baller apartment" but now I'm afraid you will chop me into little pieces.

Go return some videotapes now...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:51 am

Aussiebum wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:

"Are you dating anyone?"

I was going to take your offer to hang out in your "baller apartment" but now I'm afraid you will chop me into little pieces.

Go return some videotapes now...

I promise I'm a nice guy. Unless you confuse me with that dickhead Marcus Halberstram.

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”