Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
francesfarmer

Silver

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Is everyone here living on campus?

Disclaimer: I'm still class of 2017.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:I think it's more that with three people in an apartment share they collectively end up paying 3x more for internet than a person in a single, because it's not like you get any "more" internet by having each individual pay a full ethernet fee.

In other words, it's lame that the ethernet fee is not divided into thirds for each member of the apartment share.

Perhaps bogging down / saturation has something to do with it too. I hope the connections are strong enough to support 3 peeps.
Yeah, that's sort of what I meant --I think they were also saying that because their apartment was larger (this was a 3 bedroom) there were certain areas where the signal wasn't as good. So maybe it's more about the size of the apartment rather than the number of people using it. Oh well. We'll see.
For sure. Which apartments did you end up in?
A 3 bedroom share on W. 111th. It's just over $1,000 and my bedroom is a decent size so I'm pretty pleased.
Cool. That's about the price of mine. What's your sqr footage? (not trying to pry, just genuinely curious... you don't have to share if you don't wanna ^^)

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Is everyone here living on campus?

Deferred? Or wishful / optimist thinker?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Nope. I'm sure headlines get an awesome click rate when they say "STUDENT LOAN RATES SET TO DOUBLE", but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Still though, it's adversely affecting the lowest income students, so definitely a major issue.

--LinkRemoved--
It's definitely a major issue, I agree. I just didn't realize I wouldn't be directly affected.
Yeah, I didn't either until I read an article about it. The headlines/tweets regarding it were very misleading.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
A 3 bedroom share on W. 111th. It's just over $1,000 and my bedroom is a decent size so I'm pretty pleased.
Cool. That's about the price of mine. What's your sqr footage? (not trying to pry, just genuinely curious... you don't have to share if you don't wanna ^^)
My bedroom is about 11x14 --not sure about the whole apt. but the living room is 10x17 and kitchen is 17x7 so a good size. Honestly, just escaping the cluster fuck of the NYC rental market was huge for me, they could have put me in a cardboard box and I would've been thrilled.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 pm

StillIll wrote:

Deferred. Ha.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
My bedroom is about 11x14 --not sure about the whole apt. but the living room is 10x17 and kitchen is 17x7 so a good size. Honestly, just escaping the cluster fuck of the NYC rental market was huge for me, they could have put me in a cardboard box and I would've been thrilled.
I have no experience trying to rent anywhere even remotely comparable to NYC, so I think that's a great point... more than happy to have it settled for me. I'm excited. What do CLS folks usually do for years 2 and 3? Stick with the UAH? Or branch out into the jungle that is NYC renting?

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:13 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
StillIll wrote:

Deferred. Ha.
Right on man. Cool plans for this next year?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:16 pm

StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote: My bedroom is about 11x14 --not sure about the whole apt. but the living room is 10x17 and kitchen is 17x7 so a good size. Honestly, just escaping the cluster fuck of the NYC rental market was huge for me, they could have put me in a cardboard box and I would've been thrilled.
I have no experience trying to rent anywhere even remotely comparable to NYC, so I think that's a great point... more than happy to have it settled for me. I'm excited. What do CLS folks usually do for years 2 and 3? Stick with the UAH? Or branch out into the jungle that is NYC renting?
Not sure! I know more than a few people, both law school and other grad students, that stayed there for the whole time. With the price/convenience, I'll probably try to do the same. I believe you're even allowed to stay there the summer after 3L while studying for the bar, but I would have to confirm that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

StillIll wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
StillIll wrote:

Deferred. Ha.
I'm just working and stuff! Waiting for the economy to get better. I've been out of school for a long time which is cool.

I fear I will be the only person who lives off campus as a 1L.

P.S. I am a lady

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:30 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
StillIll wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
StillIll wrote: Deferred? Or wishful / optimist thinker?
Deferred. Ha.
I'm just working and stuff! Waiting for the economy to get better. I've been out of school for a long time which is cool.

I fear I will be the only person who lives off campus as a 1L.

P.S. I am a lady
Hahah oops! Pardon me ma'm. Deferring is a pretty cool option that I would definitely have considered if I had a real job to tie me over / help reduce future loan amounts. With CLS on the horizon too, very cool. What's the reason for off campus living? ... do you already live in NYC?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:34 pm

StillIll wrote:Hahah oops! Pardon me ma'm. Deferring is a pretty cool option that I would definitely have considered if I had a real job to tie me over / help reduce future loan amounts. With CLS on the horizon too, very cool. What's the reason for off campus living? ... do you already live in NYC?
Yeah, but I will have to leave my neighborhood to be closer to the school. On-campus housing is really nice but it's much more than I am willing to pay. You guys are making me jealous though!

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Well, this is annoying. I just logged into SSOL to find my checklist wiped clean. Does anyone else have to resubmit their health and loan documents?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:42 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
StillIll wrote:Hahah oops! Pardon me ma'm. Deferring is a pretty cool option that I would definitely have considered if I had a real job to tie me over / help reduce future loan amounts. With CLS on the horizon too, very cool. What's the reason for off campus living? ... do you already live in NYC?
Yeah, but I will have to leave my neighborhood to be closer to the school. On-campus housing is really nice but it's much more than I am willing to pay. You guys are making me jealous though!
Can you find housing in the immediate (or at least an easily commutable distance) area that is cheaper than a grand per month? With utilities + internet factored in? I admit I am totally clueless to the NYC renting climate. But if so, I'd probably look to do that 2L and 3L to save $$

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm

StillIll wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Can you find housing in the immediate (or at least an easily commutable distance) area that is cheaper than a grand per month? With utilities + internet factored in? I admit I am totally clueless to the NYC renting climate. But if so, I'd probably look to do that 2L and 3L to save $$
Yeah, totally, if you're willing to live in a neighborhood that people don't think is "nice," which I definitely am.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:45 pm

smdpnp wrote:Well, this is annoying. I just logged into SSOL to find my checklist wiped clean. Does anyone else have to resubmit their health and loan documents?
Did the school tell you to resubmit? I would check with them if it's a hassle.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Well, this is annoying. I just logged into SSOL to find my checklist wiped clean. Does anyone else have to resubmit their health and loan documents?
Did the school tell you to resubmit? I would check with them if it's a hassle.
It took a while, but I finally reached a human. SSOL got updated for the next billing cycle, so that might have reset my checklist. No need to resubmit anything from this end :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
StillIll wrote:
sounds like a great deal. I'm paying a ton more on 116th, altho its a 1BDR

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:54 pm

All of this talk about everyone's awesome apartments is super-depressing. The only housing people I've heard from are the ones in Charlottesville whom I apparently owe over a thousand bucks for an apartment I never set foot in. Meanwhile, exactly a week since I sent my housing app and...nothing. Even as other people are apparently getting housed within a couple hours. How many people could the housing department possibly be trying to place in July?

I'm going to email Juliana Utley and ask if she gets a super-specific flu that only manifests itself when trying to handle my app, or if I'm on some NSA "do not rent" database, or if my family's life would be in danger if I received any sort of update as to what might be happening.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm

LOL. I'm sure you'll hear soon man. But to think we thought we were done with byzantine application processes after we got off this waitlist.

The UVA stuff sounds icky. I was lucky - UCLA refunded almost all (minus a couple hundred bucks) of a twelve-hundred dollar housing deposit I put down there.

New

Post by 309020 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Nope. I'm sure headlines get an awesome click rate when they say "STUDENT LOAN RATES SET TO DOUBLE", but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Still though, it's adversely affecting the lowest income students, so definitely a major issue.

--LinkRemoved--
It's definitely a major issue, I agree. I just didn't realize I wouldn't be directly affected.
Yeah, I didn't either until I read an article about it. The headlines/tweets regarding it were very misleading.
As I understand it, there are some ways this could go that would affect us. The House and Senate Republicans (separately) and Obama have plans that would tie subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans to the Treasury rate. This seems bad in the long run because as the economy continues to grow, so would rates, but right now, they would be less than the 6.8% and 7.9% we've been promised. Here's my source for those who want to check the receipts: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... rate-hike/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah, this is why I went with a fixed rate private loan. :D

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:Yeah, this is why I went with a fixed rate private loan. :D
What rate is your private loan at?

I've considered it, but also concerned it all goes to hell, private loans aren't IBR/PAYE eligible. What I may do is wait til I graduate, then once I have some legit income, then get a private loan to pay off my federal loans. It's 3 years of interest for the first year, which isn't great, but not the worst thing in the world.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:01 pm

untar614 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Yeah, this is why I went with a fixed rate private loan. :D
What rate is your private loan at?

I've considered it, but also concerned it all goes to hell, private loans aren't IBR/PAYE eligible. What I may do is wait til I graduate, then once I have some legit income, then get a private loan to pay off my federal loans. It's 3 years of interest for the first year, which isn't great, but not the worst thing in the world.
Yeah that's not a bad idea. The only thing I would wonder about is what the interest rates are on personal loans at that point, since you'll no longer be eligible for student loans. My interest rate is 6.79% for my private loan. I'm still doing the Stafford though, so a decent chunk of my total debt will be federal loans. With my UG loans, it works out to about half federal, half private. I also liked not having origination fees with the private loan, plus they have a 2% graduation reward (you get 2% of your principal back either in a debit account or applied to your payments).

New

Post by 309020 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm

ph5354a wrote:My interest rate is 6.79% for my private loan.

This is interesting to me. What bank/institution are you using? I looked into a couple of providers (without ever actually talking to anyone or using my information) but it looked like the rates were either fixed and higher than federal loans or variable with really high limits that I wouldn't risk. It's a done deal for this year, I suppose, but I'd be interested in it next year, perhaps. I'm not likely to go for a LRAP qualifying job, so I'm not stuck with the feds. Although my mother was worried about cosigning any private loans with me because if I then died, my parents would still be liable for all the money. At least the feds forgive the loans if you die. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”