Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 11:37 am

Skier wrote:Officially checking in! I'm very excited to head to Columbia next Fall (unless I get some favorable movement on the Harvard or Stanford Wait lists.)

Now that I've paid my deposit, I decided to stop being a ghost. A couple of questions:

Is the Fbook group that's been mentioned worth joining? Like is it an active discussion with other new Columbia students? Or was it a general group for everyone originally thinking of Columbia but not specifically attending?

Thanks to this thread, I was able to figure out how to register for Lawnet and set up my email even though I haven't received my explanatory email. Now I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the photo we need to upload can be changed later on or is it a permanent upload?

P.S. For interest's sake, I'm also a fan of SSB and would welcome an opportunity to play (although I admit I'm much more familiar with the original Nintendo version)
Welcome! I'm pretty sure you can change your picture. I've uploaded mine, but it says "edit", so I'm assuming I can change it whenever I want. But I think that's the picture they use for your ID, so there's probably a point of no return once they make your ID.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 am

Skier wrote:P.S. For interest's sake, I'm also a fan of SSB and would welcome an opportunity to play (although I admit I'm much more familiar with the original Nintendo version)
I'll definitely have people over for SSBM during the three-week legal writing thing... hopefully I'll have a room suitable for hosting.

Gamecube version all the way.

Skier

New

Post by Skier » Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 am

ph5354a wrote:
Welcome! I'm pretty sure you can change your picture. I've uploaded mine, but it says "edit", so I'm assuming I can change it whenever I want. But I think that's the picture they use for your ID, so there's probably a point of no return once they make your ID.

Thanks for the info! I guess we have no way of knowing when they produce IDs right?
beepboopbeep wrote:
Skier wrote:P.S. For interest's sake, I'm also a fan of SSB and would welcome an opportunity to play (although I admit I'm much more familiar with the original Nintendo version)
I'll definitely have people over for SSBM during the three-week legal writing thing... hopefully I'll have a room suitable for hosting.

Gamecube version all the way.
Cool. In that case, I guess I better try to find someone who's got the gamecube version while I'm home for the summer so I can hone my skills then.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Brawl too, please! All of 'em!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri May 03, 2013 12:06 pm

J90 wrote:Brawl too, please! All of 'em!
Brawl is so floaty and chaotic! I do enjoy it, but Melee was right when I was in high school, so it will always be the True Smash to me.

But mostly, I don't have a wii, and it isn't as easily emulated yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Is anyone pursuing a dual degree program here? Or does anyone know someone who has done the dual MPA program with WW school? I'm curious how this impacts fed clerkship chances.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Does anyone know the story on Columbia's school-funded positions? Are those legit or shitty? Trying to figure out if I should be wary of it's LST employment score or not

Skier

New

Post by Skier » Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Not only does the CBT inform us we can scan floppy disks for viruses, the orientation handbook on the J.D. Orientation site is also a bit outdated, at first I thought maybe it's just not updated for this class yet, but that wouldn't quite explain why it's from the 2011-2012 academic year?!?

P.S. Yes I realize I'm starting to reveal myself as a gunner, but I figure someone's gotta give ph5354a and beepboopbeep company

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Skier wrote:
P.S. Yes I realize I'm starting to reveal myself as a gunner, but I figure someone's gotta give ph5354a and beepboopbeep company

Thank you, kind soul.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Does anyone know the story on Columbia's school-funded positions? Are those legit or shitty? Trying to figure out if I should be wary of it's LST employment score or not
This is backed entirely by intuition, but my guess is that they're no more legit or shitty as other t14 school-funded positions. look at the UVA study, seems like most ended up in OK lawyer jobs. So in that sense it's a solid safety net, but I would not view these as desirable positions.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Bronck wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Does anyone know the story on Columbia's school-funded positions? Are those legit or shitty? Trying to figure out if I should be wary of it's LST employment score or not
This is backed entirely by intuition, but my guess is that they're no more legit or shitty as other t14 school-funded positions. look at the UVA study, seems like most ended up in OK lawyer jobs. So in that sense it's a solid safety net, but I would not view these as desirable positions.
my bet (and experience with students in these situations) is that these school funded jobs go to kids who were a little behind the game and didn't get their shit together for a 2L SA and all. If you care enough to dig for it, you can get a private firm job from CLS, but there will be those 40-50 people who were distracted or out of it and the school comes in their third year to help em out. IDK

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 2:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote: If you care enough to dig for it, you can get a private firm job from CLS, but there will be those 40-50 people who were distracted or out of it and the school comes in their third year to help em out. IDK
I say this to myself every night as I'm falling asleep. It's true, right??

Excuse me while I have my post-deposit panic attack.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm

ph5354a wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: If you care enough to dig for it, you can get a private firm job from CLS, but there will be those 40-50 people who were distracted or out of it and the school comes in their third year to help em out. IDK

There have to be fuckups in the class. 38 fuckups out of ~450 members of the class of 2012 sounds reasonable to me.

Don't worry, it won't happen to you, and even if it does, you'll survive.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 3:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:
No, that's naive 0L talk. You are by no means guaranteed an SA just by "digging for it," even at CLS. Yes, 80%+ of EIP participants accept an offer (this is likely a conservative estimate, since I only estimated class size), but that still means a large chunk of the class is striking out.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

There have to be fuckups in the class. 38 fuckups out of ~450 members of the class of 2012 sounds reasonable to me.

Don't worry, it won't happen to you, and even if it does, you'll survive.
That's true. From what I've heard from current students, of those who completely struck out at OCI (EIP? Not sure which one to use) most were due to horrific interviewing skills and not necessarily grades; at least, there wasn't the strong grades correlation that you might expect. That makes me feel better because for those who already have decent interviewing skills, it seems much easier to polish those off and knock the interview out of the park than try to magically increase your GPA 2 tenths in one semester. One the other hand, interview skills probably can't save you if you're number 365 out of 365.

ETA: Bronck, I would be interested to get your opinion on this assessment

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm not here to scare you guys :lol: CLS is a fantastic school for NYC big law, one of the best in fact.

But, you should come in with realistic expectations as well.

My guess is that median should be safe for most people.

You'll likely see the most acute problems in the bottom 1/3. WE can help save you, but any sort of combination of bad grades, bad interviewing skills, and poor bidding can sink you. When you're in the bottom, you're going to have to put a lot of extra hustle in.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Bronck wrote:I'm not here to scare you guys :lol: CLS is a fantastic school for NYC big law, one of the best in fact.

But, you should come in with realistic expectations as well.

My guess is that median should be safe for most people.

You'll likely see the most acute problems in the bottom 1/3. WE can help save you, but any sort of combination of bad grades, bad interviewing skills, and poor bidding can sink you. When you're in the bottom, you're going to have to put a lot of extra hustle in.
Hey, I'd rather be scared than be lulled into false hope :lol: Overall, I'm pretty confident in my ability to stay around/above median, but I'm guessing everyone who ends up at CLS probably feels the same way, and half of us are going to be wrong, which is what worries me. Sorry, this is way too debbie downer for a Friday afternoon.

Puppies! Unicorns!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 3:21 pm

ph5354a wrote: Overall, I'm pretty confident in my ability to stay around/above median, but I'm guessing everyone who ends up at CLS probably feels the same way, and half of us are going to be wrong, which is what worries me. Sorry, this is way too debbie downer for a Friday afternoon.
Probably. You just can't take anything for granted.

I did very well first semester, and yet I'm still freaking out that I'll bomb 2nd semester finals and drop to median (or even slightly below).

Elahrairah

New

Post by Elahrairah » Fri May 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Stopping by to give hope to any future ED applicants: I was ED and got $40k without asking. They really do look at your need.

Also, catching up on the thread has made me really excited all over again. If any of you want to add me on FB, go for it. I'm the dog in the tie. :)

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri May 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Elahrairah wrote:If any of you want to add me on FB, go for it. I'm the dog in the tie. :)
A dog in Gryffindor nonetheless. Very impressive.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Sun May 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Any ideas on how big the incoming class will be?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Sun May 05, 2013 4:55 pm

My acceptance letter said it was going to have 356365 spots.
Last edited by francesfarmer on Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Sun May 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

one_by_one wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:My acceptance letter said it was going to have 356 spots.
Whoa. I hope NYU cuts down on class size too..
Yeah I'm stoked the class is well under 400.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm

anyone know how the first-year Foundation Year Moot Court course is graded?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”