Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
StillIll

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by StillIll » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm

I usually keep up on current events, but I'd never heard of this scandal before today (my bad). Certainly adds an air of intrigue to the upcoming year.

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 pm

StillIll wrote:
I usually keep up on current events, but I'd never heard of this scandal before today (my bad). Certainly adds an air of intrigue to the upcoming year.

I haven't been on the forums in forever, but I logged on to see if someone had already broken the news. The prodigal melon has arrived! I (along w/ Prof. Ben Liebman, I suppose) am kind of excited to meet him

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:28 pm

StillIll wrote:God I just want my last Dean's Certification form to get to CLS. Two weeks after sending the forms to the UG school and CLS still doesn't have it. Stressing me out.
voytek wrote:I sent it to my UG almost two months ago and thought they sent it. Last week they called and were like "Oh btw we need some info from you." At least they called and didn't just lose my stuff.
Word.

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 am

I don't know if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread (and I don't really want to search through 60 pages haha), but apparently the gym at Columbia leaves something to be desired? Has anybody heard different things? Or have contingency plans in case the gym actually sucks?

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:34 am

feelingood wrote:I don't know if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread (and I don't really want to search through 60 pages haha), but apparently the gym at Columbia leaves something to be desired? Has anybody heard different things? Or have contingency plans in case the gym actually sucks?
I'm pretty concerned about this as well. Generally I have heard that the gym is quite small and crowded. However, I have heard that other options cost a ton of money...so it looks like I'll be getting up at ungodly hours in the morning to beat the rush.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:34 am

Sgt Pepper wrote:
feelingood wrote:I don't know if this has already been addressed earlier in the thread (and I don't really want to search through 60 pages haha), but apparently the gym at Columbia leaves something to be desired? Has anybody heard different things? Or have contingency plans in case the gym actually sucks?
I'm pretty concerned about this as well. Generally I have heard that the gym is quite small and crowded. However, I have heard that other options cost a ton of money...so it looks like I'll be getting up at ungodly hours in the morning to beat the rush.
The consensus from what I've read is that it's a bad gym (mainly for space reasons) and even off-peak times you'll often get kicked out, but the cost of getting a membership anywhere else makes it acceptable. So pretty much what Sgt Pepper said.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Were we supposed to have received anything beyond the first admissions letter / enrollment info and such? I don't have an orientation packet or anything. My mail is a bit fucked as I've been traveling everywhere.

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:40 pm

I don't think so. The only other stuff I've gotten has been financial aid... one requesting more information, one saying my gradplus loan had been approved (no word on others yet). And that's all been e-mail.

Did get a Columbia sticker in the mail though. So you're missing out on that.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:50 pm

I got a brochure for the bookstore and an advertising letter from Citibank, if that counts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Oh, I did get a sticker! Awesome, thanks. Good to know I'm not missing anything super important.

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm

Does anybody know when our class schedules will be released (or when they have traditionally been released)? I'm anxious to know how the next few months of my life are going to look.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm

YES. MY DEAN'S CERT HAS FINALLY BEEN RECEIVED.

What do you mean that's a ridiculous thing to be so excited about? Shut up. I have a life. I swear.

Also, are y'all doing community service?

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:52 am

amsong wrote:Also, are y'all doing community service?
As one of the few ways to meet people that doesn't require getting past a bouncer, sure am. :P
feelingood wrote:Does anybody know when our class schedules will be released (or when they have traditionally been released)? I'm anxious to know how the next few months of my life are going to look.
We get schedules at orientation I'm pretty sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 am

amsong wrote:are y'all doing community service?
YUP just signed up right now

edit: should be quite interesting after the drinking that we will apparently be doing as discussed on the FB group...still going to both though!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:20 am

feelingood wrote:Does anybody know when our class schedules will be released (or when they have traditionally been released)? I'm anxious to know how the next few months of my life are going to look.
We get schedules at orientation I'm pretty sure.[/quote]

Yep, on the website it says, "Pick up packets and registration materials. Packets will include your
class schedule, ID cards, and your first day assignments."

Maybe they will be online before then though?

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am

MCFC wrote:
We get schedules at orientation I'm pretty sure.

Yep, on the website it says, "Pick up packets and registration materials. Packets will include your
class schedule, ID cards, and your first day assignments."

Maybe they will be online before then though?
Probably not, haha, but can hope.
Sgt Pepper wrote:
amsong wrote:are y'all doing community service?
YUP just signed up right now

edit: should be quite interesting after the drinking that we will apparently be doing as discussed on the FB group...still going to both though!
Nahhhhhh drinking is lame everyone do non-bar activities with me :P

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

Hooray! I shan't be alone. I hope it doesn't rain.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:11 pm

few questions:
1) is everyones @law.columbia.edu email working? I've sent 3-4 test emails to that address and they aren't coming up in my lionmail. Do they not forward to the initials+rando #s email?

B) law school login and password isn't something we have right now, right?

III) Has anyone done recon on nearby boozy establishments?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

txdude45 wrote:few questions:
1) is everyones @law.columbia.edu email working? I've sent 3-4 test emails to that address and they aren't coming up in my lionmail. Do they not forward to the initials+rando #s email?
I am pretty sure you have to set it up in settings. Log in to your initials/rando#s. Go to settings. Accounts. Add your @law.columbia.edu and set it default.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

helix23 wrote:
I am pretty sure you have to set it up in settings. Log in to your initials/rando#s. Go to settings. Accounts. Add your @law.columbia.edu and set it default.
I meant that I can't/don't know how to log into my @law.columbia.edu address. I was operating under the assumption that the new email was just so we didn't have to give out the ridiculous one and all emails would go to the same place.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 pm

txdude45 wrote:
helix23 wrote:
I meant that I can't/don't know how to log into my @law.columbia.edu address. I was operating under the assumption that the new email was just so we didn't have to give out the ridiculous one and all emails would go to the same place.
I think we don't log into our @law.columbia.edu. All emails sent to that will be directed to the initials+rando if you set it up under settings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Mine works (as does firstinitiallastname@law) and both I was able to set up in Lionmail.

However, while you should do that (click the gear in the top right, then settings, then "accounts" or something), I didn't have to set anything up for it to arrive to me (it was automatically sent to my initalsnumbers@columbia email. Maybe go talk to the relevant person once classes start up?
txdude45 wrote:B) law school login and password isn't something we have right now, right?
I don't think so.
txdude45 wrote:III) Has anyone done recon on nearby boozy establishments?
(Love the numbering.) But no. Nearby boozy establishments for me are you guys.

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:50 pm

txdude45 wrote: III) Has anyone done recon on nearby boozy establishments?
I moved in on Friday and have started scoping out some places... I'll try to compile a report for the wonderful people of TLS.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 pm

cws277 wrote:
txdude45 wrote: III) Has anyone done recon on nearby boozy establishments?
I moved in on Friday and have started scoping out some places... I'll try to compile a report for the wonderful people of TLS.
I moved in (off campus) last thursday. So far Village Pour House has been my spot.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:07 am

Can anyone recommend a brand of air conditioner? For those of you who have moved in... is there one that will necessarily fit the windows in 420 W 116th, or are they all random and I'll have to wait to ask the super?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”