Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
az21833

Silver

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 pm

J90 wrote:I just faxed in the Financial Aid Questionnaire and tax returns for both my parents and me. For anyone who's already done this, do we get any kind of confirmation/is there nothing left to do but relax and wait?
i mailed mine in. didnt get anything

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:31 pm

az21833 wrote:
J90 wrote:I just faxed in the Financial Aid Questionnaire and tax returns for both my parents and me. For anyone who's already done this, do we get any kind of confirmation/is there nothing left to do but relax and wait?
i mailed mine in. didnt get anything
Fair - thank you!

catatat

New

Post by catatat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Random question here - when signing up for "Mondays at Columbia" it allows you to register guests... am I going to stick out by bringing a parent along?

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

So I haven't seen too much about Columbia's grading system. How harsh is it? I know it isn't HYS gradeless, so how tough of a curve are we looking at?

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 am

catatat wrote:Random question here - when signing up for "Mondays at Columbia" it allows you to register guests... am I going to stick out by bringing a parent along?
I thought about this. I think it would be awkward to have a parent there. But my mom offered to pay for hotel if she could just hang out in NYC while I was at the programs. Awesome deal, plus law school stuff would bore any normal person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 am

broadstreet11 wrote:So I haven't seen too much about Columbia's grading system. How harsh is it? I know it isn't HYS gradeless, so how tough of a curve are we looking at?

I think people were talking about this in the Columbia 1(L) taking questions thread a while ago. Check it out: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=475

From what I can remember the consensus seemed to be that the curve has become more generous in recent years. Someone guessed that it's probably 40% for Stone with the relaxed curve, and a median around 3.35.

tyler.durden

Bronze

Post by tyler.durden » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Hey guys, NCE in first wave, waiting on FinAid to make a decision, but very hopeful that CLS becomes financially feasible. Congrats to everyone who's in!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 am

Checking in! Has anyone emailed for a travel stipend yet? Do we know how strict they are with those?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

Just registered for the April 22 Monday at Columbia as well as the March 21 reception in DC. Anyone else going to the DC reception?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:26 pm

ph5354a wrote:Checking in! Has anyone emailed for a travel stipend yet? Do we know how strict they are with those?
I did! They're pretty strict... I didn't apply for money for lodging, since I'll be staying with a student, but they did cover my airfare no questions asked (although it'd get trickier if that was above $250 for me, that seems to be their estimated limit). If you take a bus to NYC, they'll cover that too (assuming you're from DC by the last post, probably ~$40 one way?).

They won't cover taxi fare or public transportation, etc. from the airport to the campus, nor any of the other things I thought I'd mention to see if they'd cover them. Airfare ended up being all I got.

The one positive point of my stipend application is that Jill Nussbaum, one of the Admissions officers, was extremely helpful. If you call in, you can talk to her about it and she'll probably field any other questions, too.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

J90 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Checking in! Has anyone emailed for a travel stipend yet? Do we know how strict they are with those?
I did! They're pretty strict... I didn't apply for money for lodging, since I'll be staying with a student, but they did cover my airfare no questions asked (although it'd get trickier if that was above $250 for me, that seems to be their estimated limit). If you take a bus to NYC, they'll cover that too (assuming you're from DC by the last post, probably ~$40 one way?).

They won't cover taxi fare or public transportation, etc. from the airport to the campus, nor any of the other things I thought I'd mention to see if they'd cover them. Airfare ended up being all I got.

The one positive point of my stipend application is that Jill Nussbaum, one of the Admissions officers, was extremely helpful. If you call in, you can talk to her about it and she'll probably field any other questions, too.
Great, thanks. Yeah, I really just wanted some help covering the bus/train to NYC. I emailed and Jill responded with the form to fill out so I'm just waiting to hear back about that. She was super helpful over email.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Should be good, I'd think!

For the record - despite how terrible they are at getting out admissions decisions/being transparent about the process, it's really pretty sweet afterward. You should be getting a few packets of goods in the mail soon, from a box full of informational material/curriculum info to a New York City guidebook.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:00 pm

J90 wrote:Should be good, I'd think!

For the record - despite how terrible they are at getting out admissions decisions/being transparent about the process, it's really pretty sweet afterward. You should be getting a few packets of goods in the mail soon, from a box full of informational material/curriculum info to a New York City guidebook.
Seriously, CLS has a pretty frustrating admissions process (very little communication), but once you're in, it's like the skies open and the heavens shine down upon you.

Unrelated: is there an active Columbia vs. NYU thread? The only ones I can find are from last cycle. Taking the plunge and being an OP is too much commitment for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm

broadstreet11 wrote:
catatat wrote:Random question here - when signing up for "Mondays at Columbia" it allows you to register guests... am I going to stick out by bringing a parent along?
I thought about this. I think it would be awkward to have a parent there. But my mom offered to pay for hotel if she could just hang out in NYC while I was at the programs. Awesome deal, plus law school stuff would bore any normal person.
I wouldn't be too worried about it. This isn't middle school. We're all adults. At least I wouldn't judge anyone for bringing their mom or any other family member along (I'm bringing my older bro).

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Just signed up for the March ASW!

Has anyone looked at the housing portal thing yet? I took a quick look yesterday and the application was unavailable.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Sampaguita21 wrote:Just signed up for the March ASW!

Has anyone looked at the housing portal thing yet? I took a quick look yesterday and the application was unavailable.
Just checked, no luck here, either, Sampa. Site says Fall 2013's still not open for applications, but they did say it'd be ready by Feb. 15, so that's odd.

Sampaguita21

New

Post by Sampaguita21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

J90 wrote:
Sampaguita21 wrote:Just signed up for the March ASW!

Just checked, no luck here, either, Sampa. Site says Fall 2013's still not open for applications, but they did say it'd be ready by Feb. 15, so that's odd.

Cool. I was just poking around because I was bored at work, so nbd. Based on what people have been posting on the CLS 2016 facebook group, it looks like it doesn't matter when we fill out the housing app as long as we do it before the deadline.

Really looking forward to the March ASW!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

achung10

New

Post by achung10 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Anyone know what's up with the Stafford / Graduate PLUS loans? Is it enough just to fill out the master promissory note and complete the counseling, or are there more steps involved?

Can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

hinakas

New

Post by hinakas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if we can email the tax returns & FAQ as opposed to fax/mail?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm

hinakas wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if we can email the tax returns & FAQ as opposed to fax/mail?
I asked this earlier and someone said that we could email or fax. I emailed them today --will let you know if they respond asking me to fax/mail.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 pm

I would just like to publicly express my gratitude that I received my NCE prior to the epic bloodbath of holds/reserves that's currently going on. Otherwise, I would be doing this right about now...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hinakas

New

Post by hinakas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

ph5354a wrote:
hinakas wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if we can email the tax returns & FAQ as opposed to fax/mail?
I asked this earlier and someone said that we could email or fax. I emailed them today --will let you know if they respond asking me to fax/mail.
Thanks! Hopefully we can email. I completely forgot about this after going through the ridiculous need access application and I don't want to miss the deadline!

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 pm

hinakas wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
Thanks! Hopefully we can email. I completely forgot about this after going through the ridiculous need access application and I don't want to miss the deadline!
They strongly advise against emailing because the docs have your SSN and email isn't a secure method of communication. Fax and regular mail they say ARE secure. I guess they shred the files when they're done or something and if the files are digital they can't guarantee that happens. Mail at your own risk... Shady shit happens in NYC

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 am

Hmm...makes sense that email isn't secure (Cornell actually told me the same thing, though they accepted them via email anyways), but the only place I have access to a fax machine charges $1/page. Between mine and my parents that will cost $50-75. I may just risk it and email...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:Hmm...makes sense that email isn't secure (Cornell actually told me the same thing, though they accepted them via email anyways), but the only place I have access to a fax machine charges $1/page. Between mine and my parents that will cost $50-75. I may just risk it and email...

FYI: I called and asked and they said they do accept them via email, but made sure I knew that it wasn't the most secure way. I also feel I should mention that I have emailed financial aid three times since Sunday with my/parents forms as I had them ready and a couple questions and I haven't received any response or acknowledgement of receipt. With the March 1 deadline looming, I find this pretty annoying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”