Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
smdpnp

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by smdpnp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello ladies and gents, looks like I'll be joining you in Morningside. :mrgreen:

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm

anybody going to "Mondays at Columbia" this monday? Think it's the last one. Also, for anyone who's been, how was the apartment viewing portion? Did they show you multiple housing options?

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm

djwjddl wrote:anybody going to "Mondays at Columbia" this monday? Think it's the last one. Also, for anyone who's been, how was the apartment viewing portion? Did they show you multiple housing options?
I'm definitely going if I can get back to the city in time. Also interested in hearing about the apartment viewings.

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Checking in, just got accepted! Couldn't be happier.

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

permapress wrote:hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...
I asked on the phone a while back and the answer is: yes.

(They don't like you to, for security reasons, so I faxed from work. But they WILL take them.)

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Do most people try to find their own apartments or is grad housing the way to go?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

permapress wrote:hi guys, so excited to be here! quick question, do you know if we can email the financial aid office our aid questionnaire and income tax forms? i need a decision asap, so i figured emailing would be the quickest...
LOLOL good luck getting that decision asap

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 pm

helix23 wrote:
LOLOL good luck getting that decision asap
:'( :'( that doesn't bode well...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Officially finally for real checking in here! Can't wait for August!

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 am

moonman157 wrote:Officially finally for real checking in here! Can't wait for August!
Congrats, man! Glad to have you going too.

arrggg

Bronze

Post by arrggg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 am

Has anyone been successful in getting CLS to increase their initial grant offer? I sent them an email asking them to increase my grant money, and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

does anyone know if fin aid at cls tries to address this issue somehow?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm

djwjddl wrote:anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

It doesn't seem purely need-based. Also, generally speaking, most places evaluate need by your financial status going into college. If they re-evaluated it every year, then I would assume everyone would appear to be eligible for need-based aid, since no one will have a job and there would be no way to differentiate among who is most needy.

On the other hand, I'm not a K-JD either, but I supposedly showed well enough on Need Access and the questionnaire that I do not earn enough to save for law school and my parents aren't contributing either, because I got a $40k (total) grant. Again, I'm not convinced it's entirely need-based.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

ph5354a wrote:
djwjddl wrote:anyone know why columbia locks in their grants for 3 years? i mean the purpose of offering need-based grants is that it's "need-based" and that need can certainly change year-to-year. i'm particularly concerned, as i'm sure others are, because i'm not a k-jd, and i will obviously not be employed in the current position i'm in when i enter law school. Thus, arguably, i should be eligible for more need-based during my second year, assuming my parents' financial status remains virtually unchanged.

It doesn't seem purely need-based. Also, generally speaking, most places evaluate need by your financial status going into college. If they re-evaluated it every year, then I would assume everyone would appear to be eligible for need-based aid, since no one will have a job and there would be no way to differentiate among who is most needy.

On the other hand, I'm not a K-JD either, but I supposedly showed well enough on Need Access and the questionnaire that I do not earn enough to save for law school and my parents aren't contributing either, because I got a $40k (total) grant. Again, I'm not convinced it's entirely need-based.
wait, what? why do they ask for your most recent income tax statement, or any other financial information regarding your post-college employment then? if my parents won the lottery after i entered college, that wouldn't matter? :D

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm

djwjddl wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

wait, what? why do they ask for your most recent income tax statement, or any other financial information regarding your post-college employment then? if my parents won the lottery after i entered college, that wouldn't matter? :D
Right, they ask for your most recent tax returns to evaluate your current financial status (or, 2012 status). I don't have my award letter in front of me, but I think there's some vague language in there about informing them of any changes in your financial status, like marriage, etc. Winning the lottery would probably fall into that category. But, if they're evaluating your financial status independent of your parents, then theoretically that wouldn't matter anyways, but I get your point. I just meant that re-evaluating financial need each year would be largely pointless, because everybody would appear to have great financial need, since we're students, and it would be impossible for them to prioritize aid to those who have the most need.

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

accepted earlier today! still can't believe it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Audeamus wrote:accepted earlier today! still can't believe it.
Congrats!!!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?

arrggg

Bronze

Post by arrggg » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?
I sent an e-mail to fin aid on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from them (not even acknowledgement that they received it).

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:00 am

arrggg wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Has anyone negotiated yet with Columbia? If so, did you just send an email to the fin aid email address?
I sent an e-mail to fin aid on Monday. Still haven't heard anything from them (not even acknowledgement that they received it).
They won't acknowledge it. Calling works better than email.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 am

Checking in. Admitted on 4/16. Congrats to all my new fellow Lions!

Excited for CLS, but not forward to looking having finances comparable to the federal budget.

So...Big Law or Bust 2016 :D

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:56 pm

helix23 wrote:
arrggg wrote:
They won't acknowledge it. Calling works better than email.
Just submitted my appeal. I'll follow-up in person on Monday.

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Checking in. Admitted on 4/16. Congrats to all my new fellow Lions!
Congrats!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

So, I reached under my bed and found some money to reduce my debt load. I'll be depositing at Columbia tomorrow!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”