Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Lax101

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by Lax101 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Can anyone recommend a brand of air conditioner? For those of you who have moved in... is there one that will necessarily fit the windows in 420 W 116th, or are they all random and I'll have to wait to ask the super?
Frigidaire tends to be one of the most popular brands. LG is also good at most home appliances. I used a Haier throughout college (which I think is a cheaper brand?), but it worked just fine.

For those neurotic out there...

Is there a way to check if we're missing any new student paperwork (ex. SSOL or LawNet)? Or should CLS be contacting us if anything is missing? Or should we be calling CLS to make sure?

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Lax101 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Can anyone recommend a brand of air conditioner? For those of you who have moved in... is there one that will necessarily fit the windows in 420 W 116th, or are they all random and I'll have to wait to ask the super?
Frigidaire tends to be one of the most popular brands. LG is also good at most home appliances. I used a Haier throughout college (which I think is a cheaper brand?), but it worked just fine.

For those neurotic out there...

Is there a way to check if we're missing any new student paperwork (ex. SSOL or LawNet)? Or should CLS be contacting us if anything is missing? Or should we be calling CLS to make sure?
Some of the things (like photo/dean's certification/etc.) move down to "completed tasks" on the admitted students page under "student checklist".
https://web.law.columbia.edu/admissions ... d/admitted

I also just got an email like thirty minutes ago that confirmed that my immunization documentation was good, so I assume something like that will be going to everyone.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already, but...where do we find what we owe/have to pay? I have been very absent from Lawnet and expected to see my bill/amount due on there, but can't find it. Also, my email address is still @Columbia instead of @law.columbia, am I supposed to get this changed? Thanks everyone.

catatat

New

Post by catatat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Did anyone receive mailings/phone calls from Columbia Southern University? They seem to think I've expressed interest and they have my full name and phone number, which is really creepy as its not from LSAC...

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 pm

moonman157 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already, but...where do we find what we owe/have to pay? I have been very absent from Lawnet and expected to see my bill/amount due on there, but can't find it. Also, my email address is still @Columbia instead of @law.columbia, am I supposed to get this changed? Thanks everyone.

I called like two weeks ago and they said the bill usually doesn't show up until later in August then is due sometime at the end of September.

Also, I've recently come to realize that my sister's golden retriever will be leaving with her when she heads to school. Consequently, I won't have a puppy to snuggle with as a stress reducer. Does anybody on TLS have a puppy that they are both taking to school with them and that they want to let me play with on a regular basis?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 pm

feelingood wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already, but...where do we find what we owe/have to pay? I have been very absent from Lawnet and expected to see my bill/amount due on there, but can't find it. Also, my email address is still @Columbia instead of @law.columbia, am I supposed to get this changed? Thanks everyone.

I called like two weeks ago and they said the bill usually doesn't show up until later in August then is due sometime at the end of September.

Also, I've recently come to realize that my sister's golden retriever will be leaving with her when she heads to school. Consequently, I won't have a puppy to snuggle with as a stress reducer. Does anybody on TLS have a puppy that they are both taking to school with them and that they want to let me play with on a regular basis?
I have a yellow lab. She needs friends.

StormyDay

New

Post by StormyDay » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:59 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good bank near CLS? My husband and I currently bank with a local credit union. We're looking at opening up a joint checking/savings account.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 am

Moving down today. Can't wait to see you all there!

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:27 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Moving down today. Can't wait to see you all there!
Join us next week! (And everyone else, too.) We're meeting up before the big thing at Pourhouse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Moving down today. Can't wait to see you all there!
Good luck! I'll be there early Friday morning

New

Post by 309020 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Question about all the social events/trips on the orientation calendar.... Are we supposed to have RSVPed to those already? Some of them sound like they have limited capacity, and they all list contact info. But has anyone actually responded?
Hope I haven't missed the boat.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:50 pm

309020 wrote:Question about all the social events/trips on the orientation calendar.... Are we supposed to have RSVPed to those already? Some of them sound like they have limited capacity, and they all list contact info. But has anyone actually responded?
It's unclear --I emailed the contact info about the Yankees game, but haven't heard back, so it doesn't seem like anything is super urgent.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:56 pm

309020 wrote:Question about all the social events/trips on the orientation calendar.... Are we supposed to have RSVPed to those already? Some of them sound like they have limited capacity, and they all list contact info. But has anyone actually responded?
I haven't (and some things look like they were recently added, woo Millionaire dinner). If it helps, some, like the education picnic, say RSVPs are handy for estimating size, but drop-ins are fine. Others, like gelato, say to RSVP quickly because of limited space.

So, probably get on it just to have your bases covered?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by 309020 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

lunaraeon wrote:So, probably get on it just to have your bases covered?
Yes, I suppose this is the wisest move. Especially for space-limited events. Hope I haven't already missed out on going to the US Open and on the NBC studio tour. I want to celebrity hunt! (super serious law student here, in case you couldn't tell)

Related question: what are the ethics of going to an event hosted by a group you have little to no interest in joining just because you like their event? Example, I want to go to the Natural History Museum but don't really have any intention of practicing science-related law. I'm sure there will be some people going just to do stuff they want to do in NYC, but I also foresee awkward conversations between those people and people who are super interested in that group's purpose.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 pm

309020 wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:So, probably get on it just to have your bases covered?
Yes, I suppose this is the wisest move. Especially for space-limited events. Hope I haven't already missed out on going to the US Open and on the NBC studio tour. I want to celebrity hunt! (super serious law student here, in case you couldn't tell)

Related question: what are the ethics of going to an event hosted by a group you have little to no interest in joining just because you like their event? Example, I want to go to the Natural History Museum but don't really have any intention of practicing science-related law. I'm sure there will be some people going just to do stuff they want to do in NYC, but I also foresee awkward conversations between those people and people who are super interested in that group's purpose.
Gray area. They know how it works, though, so you can probably even be honest, or just say you're exploring options.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:12 pm

when will we know exactly what books we need to get? anyone have info on that? will it be all explained during orientation?

edit: also, anyone else living in the arbor?

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:01 pm

learntolift wrote:when will we know exactly what books we need to get? anyone have info on that? will it be all explained during orientation?

Probably, yeah, that's when we get our schedules. :)

And not anyone I'm aware of, come chill with us by campus!

(Also, contact for the US Open event got back to me, apparently they aren't filling spots until they send out a class-wide email during orientation. Makes sense.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
learntolift wrote:when will we know exactly what books we need to get? anyone have info on that? will it be all explained during orientation?

Probably, yeah, that's when we get our schedules. :)

And not anyone I'm aware of, come chill with us by campus!

(Also, contact for the US Open event got back to me, apparently they aren't filling spots until they send out a class-wide email during orientation. Makes sense.)
So there's no point in emailing the EASLS person at all then? I really want to go to that and the Yankees game...

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 pm

As far as RSVPing, it seems like the only one we need to do that for so far is the Community Service. I emailed about the Yankees game and the US Open, and was told that it was too early to RSVP and separate emails would go out when it was time.

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 pm

moonman157 wrote:As far as RSVPing, it seems like the only one we need to do that for so far is the Community Service. I emailed about the Yankees game and the US Open, and was told that it was too early to RSVP and separate emails would go out when it was time.
Thanks!

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 pm

After being here for an impressive 7 hours or so, I have made the executive decision that New York is pretty awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:After being here for an impressive 7 hours or so, I have made the executive decision that New York is pretty awesome.
So innocent. So pure. So wrong, lol.

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:41 am

txdude45 wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:After being here for an impressive 7 hours or so, I have made the executive decision that New York is pretty awesome.
It's my one week anniversary of moving into the city today. Already I've contracted a fungal skin infection, had a mattress stolen, and experienced my apartment's first cockroach. I think I'm getting a truly New York experience.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:54 am

cws277 wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
It's my one week anniversary of moving into the city today. Already I've contracted a fungal skin infection, had a mattress stolen, and experienced my apartment's first cockroach. I think I'm getting a truly New York experience.
Yeesh. People steal mattresses?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:14 am

amsong wrote:
Yeesh. People steal mattresses?
Anything that can be fenced will be stolen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”