Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Tekrul

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 pm

A quick tip on the email. You can link it with a Columbia service called lionmail which will turn your cubmail uni@columbia.edu into the gmail interface. This way you can work with a gmail screen, but receive only Columbia related email through it. This is a better solution IMO to mail forwarding which will result in email redundancy.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Tekrul wrote:A quick tip on the email. You can link it with a Columbia service called lionmail which will turn your cubmail uni@columbia.edu into the gmail interface. This way you can work with a gmail screen, but receive only Columbia related email through it. This is a better solution IMO to mail forwarding which will result in email redundancy.
PERFECT. Thank you!

We're still stuck with the initials + numbers though, right? Regardless, I just loaded up LionMail and it's brilliant.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Yea initials and numbers. Don't worry, it grows on you. I might get a tattoo of it on my forehead.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 pm

JVK, How long after your deposit did you get your email log in?

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:30 pm

ph5354a wrote:JVK, How long after your deposit did you get your email log in?
I got my email address on April 15, and I think I put my deposit down sometime around the end of March/first couple days of April. I doubt it's a set time frame though, and I know everyone gets the LawNet access on May 1, so I'd assume you'd get your UNI/email address around then or slightly before at least.

Shouldn't be too long for you. There's nothing I can really do with mine anyway, it's just fun to have. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm

JVK wrote:
ph5354a wrote:JVK, How long after your deposit did you get your email log in?
I got my email address on April 15, and I think I put my deposit down sometime around the end of March/first couple days of April. I doubt it's a set time frame though, and I know everyone gets the LawNet access on May 1, so I'd assume you'd get your UNI/email address around then or slightly before at least.

Shouldn't be too long for you. There's nothing I can really do with mine anyway, it's just fun to have. :)

Thanks. I'm irrationally excited for it :D

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Excited to say I've decided on Columbia!!!! Will be depositing when I get paid next Tuesday :D

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Audeamus wrote:Excited to say I've decided on Columbia!!!! Will be depositing when I get paid next Tuesday :D
Yay! Welcome :D

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:23 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Audeamus wrote:Excited to say I've decided on Columbia!!!! Will be depositing when I get paid next Tuesday :D
Thank! I'm happy to be in such good company!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Audeamus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
I just realized you were the one with the dog! My dog can be pretty picky about his dog friends (it's not them, it's him. He's overwhelmed/frightened of high energy dogs, no matter what size), but if it works out, I'd love to plan some canine play dates!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Congrats! Happy to hear it :D

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:50 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
I just realized you were the one with the dog! My dog can be pretty picky about his dog friends (it's not them, it's him. He's overwhelmed/frightened of high energy dogs, no matter what size), but if it works out, I'd love to plan some canine play dates!
My dog gets along with literally every dog on the planet. He is so submissive (he even flips over belly-up when he meets cats) that I can't imagine he will be overwhelming, so we'll def have to try it out! What kind of dog do you have?
moonman157 wrote: Congrats! Happy to hear it :D
Thanks!!

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Audeamus wrote:Excited to say I've decided on Columbia!!!! Will be depositing when I get paid next Tuesday Deposited today :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Audeamus wrote:
Audeamus wrote:Excited to say I've decided on Columbia!!!! Will be depositing when I get paid next Tuesday Deposited today :D
Congrats!

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm bored of studying so

1) Have sex in the stacks at Butler

2) Eat a Koronet slice drunk

3) Eat a spicy special drunk

4) Find the owl in Alma Mater

5) 40's on 40

6) Have sex in the stacks at Butler again with a different guy/girl

I think that's it...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:23 am

I had a Koronet slice sober and it was probably better than any sex in the library will ever be.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 am

I believe their claims of need-based a lot more now. 85k - did not expect this much at all given my numbers. Looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall after all! Oh god, too much rhyming. I'm sorry. I'm excited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am

beepboopbeep wrote:I believe their claims of need-based a lot more now. 85k - did not expect this much at all given my numbers. Looks like I'll be joining y'all in the fall after all! Oh god, too much rhyming. I'm sorry. I'm excited.
Congrats!!!! That's awesome! :D

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

Audeamus wrote:
My dog gets along with literally every dog on the planet. He is so submissive (he even flips over belly-up when he meets cats) that I can't imagine he will be overwhelming, so we'll def have to try it out! What kind of dog do you have?
I have an Australian Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. He has the build and size of a shepherd (about 45 pounds) but with Rottweiler coloring. In short, he's magnificent. He's really sweet and playful, but has those classic shelter-dog insecurity issues. It sounds like your dog would be a perfect buddy for him. :D

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:35 am

ph5354a wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
I have an Australian Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. He has the build and size of a shepherd (about 45 pounds) but with Rottweiler coloring. In short, he's magnificent. He's really sweet and playful, but has those classic shelter-dog insecurity issues. It sounds like your dog would be a perfect buddy for him. :D
Yes! Mine is a Rottweiler/Hound mix. 50 pounds with Rottweiler coloring! It's a match made in canine heaven! I'm so happy Duke will have friends :D Is yours people shy? Duke is still pretty afraid of people, though he's getting better. We're constantly working on socialization.

Aussiebum

Bronze

Post by Aussiebum » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am

Hey guys. I am seriously thinking of attending (permitting that I receive some financial aid assistance similar to what I received from Berkeley and NYU... still waiting on Columbia). The only doubt I have about Columbia has to do with housing. I was looking at the student budget and it seems very low for the prices of on-campus housing options listed in the AS Website. I should qualify this statement by saying that I am an older student and would prefer to have my own studio/efficiency (dorm life seems like it was ages ago). If I go to Columbia I will be embarking on a LD relationship with my partner for at least my 1L year, so I would like to live in a place where he can visit often without having to worry about disrupting other students or sharing a bathroom/kitchen.

With all that being said, I am wondering what the chances are of increasing your financial aid budget to accommodate for higher housing expenses than the current budget permits, especially when it is to pay for on-campus housing? Otherwise, are those apartments/spaces reserved for wealthier students who can afford to pay the higher prices out of pocket? Also, if we are allowed to increase our budget, how hard is the process and what is the likelihood of being approved? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from this I am pretty set on Columbia. Very excited to meet all you guys. Congratulations to everyone!

Warm hugs from Texas (and yes, everything here is bigger... especially housing options!).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Welcome, Aussie. It definitely seems like the rent in COA budget is based off of the 2 or 3-bedroom shares, since those tend to be $1,400 or (much) less, and the studios (at least in law school housing) start at $1,500. That said, there are a lot of other places in the total COA budget that you will probably be under (board/personal expenses, books, etc.), so I'm sure it's possible for you to pay for a studio/1-bedroom and still be within the COA budget. I'm not sure how lenient CLS is about adjustments, but there's a good Ask a Columbia 1L thread that can probably help you.

That said, I've heard from a few housing sources that getting a studio or 1-bedroom as a single (not couple or family) 1L is unlikely, so if that's the only way you would be willing to do campus housing, then you may want to consider doing off-campus. I believe you can still apply, and once you get your housing offer, if it's not a studio, you can just decline it and do an apartment search on your own.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm

ph5354a wrote:That said, I've heard from a few housing sources that getting a studio or 1-bedroom as a single (not couple or family) 1L is unlikely, so if that's the only way you would be willing to do campus housing, then you may want to consider doing off-campus. I believe you can still apply, and once you get your housing offer, if it's not a studio, you can just decline it and do an apartment search on your own.
This is how I'm doing it - I'm in a similar situation of just not really wanting roommates at this point in my life. I talked to someone who had a studio in Lenfest, though, and they said that a number of solo 1Ls had studios there last year. I'd imagine they have a set number reserved for law students and it just depends on how many apply for couple/family housing every year.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Check in

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:16 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:That said, I've heard from a few housing sources that getting a studio or 1-bedroom as a single (not couple or family) 1L is unlikely, so if that's the only way you would be willing to do campus housing, then you may want to consider doing off-campus. I believe you can still apply, and once you get your housing offer, if it's not a studio, you can just decline it and do an apartment search on your own.
This is how I'm doing it - I'm in a similar situation of just not really wanting roommates at this point in my life. I talked to someone who had a studio in Lenfest, though, and they said that a number of solo 1Ls had studios there last year. I'd imagine they have a set number reserved for law students and it just depends on how many apply for couple/family housing every year.
That's encouraging! I'm hoping for one of the cheaper ones on 420 116th. It looks like last year housing assignments came out on May 29, so there's still plenty of time to do a regular apartment search if necessary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”