Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
MoonDreamer

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by MoonDreamer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:14 am

you guys are so lucky. I wish I went to CLS.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:50 am

MoonDreamer wrote:you guys are so lucky. I wish I went to CLS.
Uhh yeah you do boi :)

welkertexasranger

New

Post by welkertexasranger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:11 am

txdude45 wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Oh fuck, E&Es already?

I was told I'd have three weeks where I'd be allowed to fuck around on Half.com making sure I have the right ones before shit got real.

I'm hyperventilating again...
What is an E&E?
CLS rising 2L, just wanted to say that if you aren't the worrying type, don't let other people get in your head about supplements. They can be helpful for some classes, but you can also get A's without touching a supplement / B's while outlining multiple supplements. It depends on your learning style and the particular Prof. you have.

Also, you'll hear this multiple times and you'll probably ignore it anyway, but do not worry about legal methods. You should be hanging out with your new friends, going out downtown, etc. Legal Methods is a nice way to get a sense for how class works in law school and to experience reading a few cases, but it's one of the last times you'll really have a ton of free time so enjoy it.

Last thing -- I can confirm that you guys will be taking 2 of the 3 (contracts, property, and con law) in the spring and 1 this fall.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:57 am

welkertexasranger wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
What is an E&E?
CLS rising 2L, just wanted to say that if you aren't the worrying type, don't let other people get in your head about supplements. They can be helpful for some classes, but you can also get A's without touching a supplement / B's while outlining multiple supplements. It depends on your learning style and the particular Prof. you have.

Also, you'll hear this multiple times and you'll probably ignore it anyway, but do not worry about legal methods. You should be hanging out with your new friends, going out downtown, etc. Legal Methods is a nice way to get a sense for how class works in law school and to experience reading a few cases, but it's one of the last times you'll really have a ton of free time so enjoy it.

Last thing -- I can confirm that you guys will be taking 2 of the 3 (contracts, property, and con law) in the spring and 1 this fall.
Thanks for the advice on supplements.

SO Legal Methods is a pretty easy pass? For exactly the reasons you mentioned, I'm honestly wondering how much work I will realistically need to put into it.

welkertexasranger

New

Post by welkertexasranger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:01 am

Legal Methods is an automatic pass. I know one person out of 100 who had to retake the test, but he passed the second time and its not like there's any record that he retook it.

I'd suggest reading the cases, but no need to obsess over it. If you see someone briefing cases, be a friend -- take them aside, put a hand on their shoulder, and tell them that they have a problem. Just have a grasp of the facts / reasoning in case you are called on and definitely get on gchat with people in your class so you can help each other. It's kind of hopeless to tell law students not to worry, but someone has to fight the good fight.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 am

Anyone else doing a private loan? Mine still hasn't been verified, and my lender is getting antsy.

ETA: Apparently they were waiting for my response to the Missing Info email, which they never processed because their admin assistant is out today (disregard the fact that I send that email two weeks ago.) Anyways, as usual, phone call was much more productive. They said they're certifying loans as we speak and everyone will receive an award letter in the mail confirming what they've certified for you.

If anyone else got that email about missing your MPN for your federal loan, but you filled it out already, I would call, because apparently some people that fill it out early get stuck in the 12-13 academic year and they have to manually go in and move you over to the 13-14 year in order for you MPN to show up.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am

Sgt Pepper wrote:
StillIll wrote: prime time to blow all remaining savings / grocery money on nights out in bonding with classmates.
I completely agree
Fixed that for you. :P

StillIll

Bronze

Post by StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

lunaraeon wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
StillIll wrote: prime time to blow all remaining savings / grocery money on nights out in bonding with classmates.
I completely agree
How long until you're 21?

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm

welkertexasranger wrote: Last thing -- I can confirm that you guys will be taking 2 of the 3 (contracts, property, and con law) in the spring and 1 this fall.
Thanks for the info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:29 pm

cws277 wrote:
welkertexasranger wrote: Last thing -- I can confirm that you guys will be taking 2 of the 3 (contracts, property, and con law) in the spring and 1 this fall.
Thanks for the info.
That's 6 classes though... Do you think they'll just drop the elective to bring it back down to 5?

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:39 pm

StillIll wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
I completely agree
How long until you're 21?
Just over 3 months, haha. Hope everyone is good to go out on a Thursday.
txdude45 wrote:
cws277 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
That's 6 classes though... Do you think they'll just drop the elective to bring it back down to 5?
Nope. Pretty sure moot court is supposed to be low-intensity (not as much as LRW but similar), anyways, and maybe LPW as well. Unless I'm completely mistaken, they've had all of these run in previous years without problems.

welkertexasranger

New

Post by welkertexasranger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:08 pm

txdude45 wrote:
cws277 wrote:
Thanks for the info.
So here's how 1L worked last year:

FALL: Contracts, Torts, Civ Pro, LPW.

SPRING: Con Law, Crim, Property, Elective, LPW / Moot court.

You guys will be on the same schedule basically, the only difference is that some of you will swap out contracts in the fall for either property or con law. It's not really a "back down" to 5 thing -- you'll have the same # of classes we had. LPW and moot court are really one in the same. You'll have LPW once a week and all you do in it is work for moot court.

That being said, second semester is pretty rough. CLS eases you in 1L fall which is great. I felt relatively stress free until late October. In the spring you'll be pretty busy throughout.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Is Tanzie Raman male or female? I need to ask a question about a floorplan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Can't you just avoid gendered pronouns?

(Saying this because I have no idea)

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

voytek wrote:Can't you just avoid gendered pronouns?

Thought of that, but I didn't want to be informal (I wanted to say Mr. or Ms.). Then again, I've already been accepted and have the housing assignment I wanted, so does it really matter?

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:38 pm

moonman157 wrote:
voytek wrote:Can't you just avoid gendered pronouns?

Thought of that, but I didn't want to be informal (I wanted to say Mr. or Ms.). Then again, I've already been accepted and have the housing assignment I wanted, so does it really matter?
I called to ask about floorplans. They said they didn't have any for my apartment. A week later, one was uploaded to my housing portal.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 pm

moonman157 wrote:Is Tanzie Raman male or female? I need to ask a question about a floorplan.
Google suggests it's overwhelmingly likely to be a woman. But "to whom it may concern" is the safe play if you're ever not sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Is Tanzie Raman male or female? I need to ask a question about a floorplan.
Google suggests it's overwhelmingly likely to be a woman. But "to whom it may concern" is the safe play if you're ever not sure.
I'm going with Indian male based on my own Google.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Just call him/her Tanzie. I guarantee you that someone working in housing at a university doesn't give a shit if you call him/her by his/her first name.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Hey aussiebum, you still around? We just got our vanity emails.

The incoming class is also at ~350 students, so it looks like we didn't get overenrolled this year :D

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 pm

smdpnp wrote:Hey aussiebum, you still around? We just got our vanity emails.
[Redacted—found it.]

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm

The incoming class is also at ~350 students, so it looks like we didn't get overenrolled this year :D
Fuck yea (on both counts)!

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Awesome! How did you hear the class is 350? That's great news for us

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Lawnet rolled out a couple of new features, and the student directory has ~350 records for the incoming class.
Last edited by smdpnp on Sat May 17, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:22 pm

smdpnp wrote:Lawnet rolled out a couple of new features, and the student directory has ~350 records for the incoming class.

eta: ermageeerd, orientation's just three weeks away! so excited :D
Wow, you made me check LawNet again for the first time in week - SO AWESOME! Now I just want my damn schedule...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”