Columbia Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Tekrul

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2016

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Cool.

Cool cool cool :D

New

Post by 309020 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:10 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Also, anyone know when season 7 is out on Netflix? The DVD came out on May, usually Netflix is soon after, but it hasn't happened yet.
No idea about season 7, but can we talk about Community? I'm rewatching the whole show currently.

This is crazy, but I think I'd put it ahead of Arrested Development on my all-time comedy list. Tough battle with Louie for the #1 spot.
Pop pop! I just finished rewatching Community. I really like it, but I don't find it as consistently amazing as Arrested Development (well, excluding season 4 of AD, about which I'm trying to withhold judgment until I have time for a rewatch). I would still rank 30 Rock and Parks and Rec above it, personally. I just don't feel as happy watching Community as I do those shows. Still need to watch Louie though — it's an odd hole in my usually obsessive following of good comedies.

Thoughts on Community season 5? I'm super excited that Chevy's out — after they made him a villain in season 3, there just wasn't much to do with him or really a believable way to rehab his character. I'm also glad to see the return of Dan Harmon for the show's sake, but he really seems like such an ass as a human. I wish NBC would give the show more respect though, since after postponing the season last year, they seem poised to do the same again. They still haven't given it a real timeslot.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

+1 on Community. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, but I watched the last season consistently and really liked it. 30 Rock and Parks and Rec are better in my book. Community is a little closer to the AD camp in that the audience isn't supposed to have an emotional investment in the story line/character development, but I think AD just does that type of comedy better.

I don't know anything about Dan Harmon but his quote about "seeing his family put on an island and raped" or whatever seemed pretty extreme, though I do wish NBC would really put their weight behind Community, which they haven't done to this point.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 pm

309020 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote: Also, anyone know when season 7 is out on Netflix? The DVD came out on May, usually Netflix is soon after, but it hasn't happened yet.
No idea about season 7, but can we talk about Community? I'm rewatching the whole show currently.

This is crazy, but I think I'd put it ahead of Arrested Development on my all-time comedy list. Tough battle with Louie for the #1 spot.
Pop pop! I just finished rewatching Community. I really like it, but I don't find it as consistently amazing as Arrested Development (well, excluding season 4 of AD, about which I'm trying to withhold judgment until I have time for a rewatch). I would still rank 30 Rock and Parks and Rec above it, personally. I just don't feel as happy watching Community as I do those shows. Still need to watch Louie though — it's an odd hole in my usually obsessive following of good comedies.

Thoughts on Community season 5? I'm super excited that Chevy's out — after they made him a villain in season 3, there just wasn't much to do with him or really a believable way to rehab his character. I'm also glad to see the return of Dan Harmon for the show's sake, but he really seems like such an ass as a human. I wish NBC would give the show more respect though, since after postponing the season last year, they seem poised to do the same again. They still haven't given it a real timeslot.
Yea, I guess I like its sincerity more? If you are looking to be happy, Louie is not your show. Not as dark as something like It's Always Sunny, nor as ridiculous, but definitely not traditional ha-ha sitcom style.

I'm going to make a confession that I haven't watched 30 rock since like season 4. Never bit on Parks and Rec either.

I know there's the whole six seasons and a movie thing, but I think one of the most interesting things about Community to me was how it pushed against these conventions without directly parodying them (though it did that sometimes, too) - endlessly keeping its main characters in community college seems like something they'd want to avoid? Yea, I was shocked it got a fourth and fifth season after all the network drama. I'm excited Dan's coming back - I haven't listened to as much Harmontown as I'd like, but he always came off as insanely genuine and honest. Season four was better than I expected, but it was no season 2.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Any Curb/Seinfeld/Larry Sanders fans here?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm

untar614 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Cosmopolitanist wrote:Aight I'm kicking it over at lionsgate. Move-in day is like the 12th of august.

Who wants to be my BFF?
Lionsgate? you are probably absurdly wealthy. I'm down. I also move in Aug 12. Yes I will be your BFF.

JK, I'm sure I'll like you for your personality :)
I could definitely use some friends with lionsgate-type personality. I'll be in late on the 13th.
I already feel at home

Let's make this happen

Also....anyone looking to get some gym-buddy stuff going? I've been traveling for a few months and my schedule is wrecked. though i have heard the school's gym is a bit scary. perhaps 24 hour fitness?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm

ph5354a wrote:Community is a little closer to the AD camp in that the audience isn't supposed to have an emotional investment in the story line/character development
I guess this is where I really draw the line between the shows - I find community much more relatable and emotional-investment-worthy than AD (or Parks and Rec or 30 Rock, for that matter). AD is amazing and crazy referential and all that, but bottom line you're just watching terrible people be terrible for most of the time. Even more so in season four. I'd say AD is closer to It's Always Sunny (the ultimate people-being-shitty show) than Community is to AD.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:23 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Community is a little closer to the AD camp in that the audience isn't supposed to have an emotional investment in the story line/character development
I guess this is where I really draw the line between the shows - I find community much more relatable and emotional-investment-worthy than AD (or Parks and Rec or 30 Rock, for that matter). AD is amazing and crazy referential and all that, but bottom line you're just watching terrible people be terrible for most of the time. Even more so in season four. I'd say AD is closer to It's Always Sunny (the ultimate people-being-shitty show) than Community is to AD.
Yeah you're probably right --and that's probably a function of me not having seen Community all the way through (so I don't really have the relationship with the characters yet).

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Yay, Community! It will be interesting to see what happens with the next season, for sure.

And, anyone awaiting the next season of Sherlock? :)

(Thank you, beepboopbeep.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 pm

lunaraeon wrote:Yay, Community! It will be interesting to see what happens with the next season, for sure.

Was supposed to be fall, might now be early 2014.

Sad face

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 pm

Cosmopolitanist wrote:
lunaraeon wrote:Yay, Community! It will be interesting to see what happens with the next season, for sure.

Was supposed to be fall, might now be early 2014.

Sad face
What...? :( sigh, I thought it was still definitely on for the fall. Well, maybe the new Skins season will tide me over for British accents. :P

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:38 pm

This may be obscure, but I don't watch much TV but want to join in the conversation, so has anyone seen Summer Heights High?

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

moonman157 wrote:This may be obscure, but I don't watch much TV but want to join in the conversation, so has anyone seen Summer Heights High?
no but to make you feel included i can wikipedia it and try hard to keep pace?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm

AD is hysterical if you're from newport beach. Bizarrely accurate. That festival of the arts they attend every year? that's a real thing.

Community season 1 was AMAZING. I feel like it missed the mark since, but it still has funny moments.
Parks and Recreation is a great show.. the Office, obviously, with its own ups and downs in its 9 season career.. 30 Rock, clearly a classic. Not sure how I would "rank" these three, but they are all up there for me.
Modern family is aight, probably a little lower than P&R/30 Rock/office in my esteem.

family guy is always an epic shitshow.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I love Modern Family, but I am definitely of the mindset that it's essentially a watered down version of AD.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:47 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Agree, I never felt "invested" in anyone on arrested development. It's always sunny is just too funny. I don't know if I'd say community is more investment worthy than parks and rec. I'd probably disagree there. Community is too out there, the events do not correlate strictly enough with any sort of real premise for it to be truly relateable, and the story lines are intentionally non-directed, whereas Parks and Rec has specific character development and plot lines that are not used arbitrarily to break fourth wall but more to gain audience investment in the story. Parks & the office both have that characteristic, probably since they have more overlap in production. IDK just my personal opinion I suppose.

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 pm

we aren't forgetting Archer, are we?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 pm

LANA! :lol: Danger zone

Jbagel, fb me

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Tekrul wrote:LANA! :lol: Danger zone
we're friends now

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Lol fb me too. Ill pm fb stuff

Cosmopolitanist

New

Post by Cosmopolitanist » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Tekrul wrote:Lol fb me too. Ill pm fb stuff
it's official. we're married now in my culture

who else wants to be fb friends?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm definitely pro-community discussion. I was even at a party once where two of the girls that lived there went back into their romms and came out with Troy and Abed getups and went around singing the variations of "Troy and Abed in the moooooorning"

New

Post by 309020 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Yeah you're probably right --and that's probably a function of me not having seen Community all the way through (so I don't really have the relationship with the characters yet).
I dunno. I've watched it since the beginning and I feel much more emotionally connected to characters on Parks and Rec and 30 Rock. I adore Abed, and like the others, but for me, they can't match up with Liz, Leslie, Jackie D, Ron Swanson, et al.

Harmon's very intelligent and creative, and created a wonderful show, but he seems like a terrible pain to work for. He just sounds immature and petulant a lot of the time, plus those occasional really off-color statements.

On other topics, I can't wait for more Sherlock, and in other British fare, the return of Downton Abbey — unfortunately both a long way off. Lady Mary is my favorite ice queen. oh and can't wait for more Homeland!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Cosmopolitanist wrote:
moonman157 wrote:This may be obscure, but I don't watch much TV but want to join in the conversation, so has anyone seen Summer Heights High?
no but to make you feel included i can wikipedia it and try hard to keep pace?
Haha I very much appreciate that :D

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Cosmopolitanist wrote:we aren't forgetting Archer, are we?
Damn, good call.
309020 wrote: I dunno. I've watched it since the beginning and I feel much more emotionally connected to characters on Parks and Rec and 30 Rock. I adore Abed, and like the others, but for me, they can't match up with Liz, Leslie, Jackie D, Ron Swanson, et al.

Harmon's very intelligent and creative, and created a wonderful show, but he seems like a terrible pain to work for. He just sounds immature and petulant a lot of the time, plus those occasional really off-color statements.
Yea, I mean I think the latter group are much more likeable, for sure. And more adult. It's strange - I feel like the community characters are all "characters" (as compared to, say, characters in the wire who are just people), but they still make it through as realistic and empathy-inducing to me. Probably depends how one sees oneself, etc.
untar614 wrote:I'm definitely pro-community discussion. I was even at a party once where two of the girls that lived there went back into their romms and came out with Troy and Abed getups and went around singing the variations of "Troy and Abed in the moooooorning"
That's amazing. My Abed moved to China and I am sad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”