Berkeley Law Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:38 pm

californiabeauar wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:As a bonus, there's been rumors that Berkeley did exceptionally well this year with BigLaw placement...woo! :D :D :D


Really?? Hope this is true! I have some Boalt buddies and they've suggested otherwise, but anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.



Someone posted on here that they work with the magazine that deals with biglaw data and that berk cleaned up. Could be some BS but guess we'll see. Berk, outside of Stanford, is still best for Cali placement. Right?

testaker
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby testaker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Sorry for the multiple-thread posting, was told to ask this here...

Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:17 am

testaker wrote:Sorry for the multiple-thread posting, was told to ask this here...

Does anyone know whether there are date limitations for getting the $300 travel reimbursement for ASW? Such as, I may decide to fly to the Bay Area from Wed-Sun, in order to show boyfriend more of the area, make more of a trip out of it, etc etc.

Basically, as long as I do in fact attend ASW, should there be any issue with being reimbursed for a flight that spans a longer period of time than strictly ASW? Thanks.

I doubt it, but as an admit, I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to just call or email and ask. Especially with the explanation you provide, I think your request sounds very reasonable -- wanting to get to know the area better and show your boyfriend around seems like it would work to the school's benefit!

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 am

What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 am

Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!

User avatar
dnptan
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby dnptan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 am

cwid1391 wrote:What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?


Couchsurfing :)

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

voytek wrote:Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!

So what's the process with boalt? Do they give you an initial offer or if you have something you want them to match should you submit it immediately? I just got in yesterday so haven't received any of this info yet.

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 am

dnptan wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:What's everyones plans for housing during ASW? Are you just going to get a hotel room or try to stay with students?


Couchsurfing :)


I've actually never couchsurfed, but I've heard people talk about it. I just registered and now I'm super excited.

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 pm

risa wrote:
voytek wrote:Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!

So what's the process with boalt? Do they give you an initial offer or if you have something you want them to match should you submit it immediately? I just got in yesterday so haven't received any of this info yet.


First, congrats! Second, I'm not really sure. I don't know of anybody who has gotten a scholarship offer this cycle yet, but I think that you have to apply to have something from another school matched.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby risa » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:31 pm

voytek wrote:
risa wrote:
voytek wrote:Anybody have any idea of when matching scholarship responses start coming in? It's been over a month since I submitted mine now. I'm dying over here!

So what's the process with boalt? Do they give you an initial offer or if you have something you want them to match should you submit it immediately? I just got in yesterday so haven't received any of this info yet.


First, congrats! Second, I'm not really sure. I don't know of anybody who has gotten a scholarship offer this cycle yet, but I think that you have to apply to have something from another school matched.

Thanks! I found the financial aid form on their website that I need to complete, but it says to wait until you have your student ID #, which I do not yet. I got the impression that form is just for need-based, though, and while I feel like I have financial need the results I've gotten from other schools so far tell me I don't!

Does your student ID # arrive in the packet they mail? Dean Tom said it would be mailed out next week or so.

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 pm

They'll email you with instructions on how to set up your calnet ID and a pin number.

testaker
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby testaker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:49 am

Have others already submitted matching scholarship applications? I got in awhile ago but haven't yet, because I thought/hoped I was waiting to see if Berkeley threw me some $ on their own. But is the conventional wisdom to just submit matching apps now?

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am

testaker wrote:Have others already submitted matching scholarship applications? I got in awhile ago but haven't yet, because I thought/hoped I was waiting to see if Berkeley threw me some $ on their own. But is the conventional wisdom to just submit matching apps now?


I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is, but I submitted my matching app in January, before they even begun accepting them. Haven't heard anything yet.

User avatar
pinballwiz24
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby pinballwiz24 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?

Aloyicious
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby Aloyicious » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

pinballwiz24 wrote:I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?



I don't know about bussing from SF to Berkeley (I would guess that takes like an hour and a half), but depending on where the hostel is you could easily take BART from the city to Berkeley. It's a bit pricey but not terrible. However, BART from Convention Center to Berkeley is maybe 30 minutes, just as an FYI. It's a fair amount of commuting but you will actually get to take in the sites of the city.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 am

pinballwiz24 wrote:I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?


(a) hit up some frat(sorority?) houses and see if anyone's got an extra room to spare/let you crash on their couch for a much smaller fee ... and you'd get some added "fun" activities out of it. When I was there, it was fairly common.
(b) BART is where it's at

arrggg
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby arrggg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:13 pm

pinballwiz24 wrote:I'm thinking about just booking a cheap hostel in San Francisco and bussing it to Berkeley since all of the options in Berkeley are so expensive. Does anyone think this might not be a good plan for some reason?


Bring a sleeping bag and just stay in people's park.

But in all seriousness manoftheminute's suggestion is not a bad idea.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:34 pm

anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?



Berk has been my dream forever and ever and I am literally JUST waiting to hear if I get money. if I get any, I'll be committing ASAP.

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:42 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?



Berk has been my dream forever and ever and I am literally JUST waiting to hear if I get money. if I get any, I'll be committing ASAP.


Still nothing here. :evil: I'm starting to think about emailing them soon to let them know I'm still interested but I have scholarship deadlines coming up!

Also, twinkle you're sitting at 1337 posts right now so... might want to just hang out there.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 pm

voytek wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:anyone get $ yet? dean's scholly, need-based, anything? or are we not hearing for another solid month?



Berk has been my dream forever and ever and I am literally JUST waiting to hear if I get money. if I get any, I'll be committing ASAP.


Still nothing here. :evil: I'm starting to think about emailing them soon to let them know I'm still interested but I have scholarship deadlines coming up!

Also, twinkle you're sitting at 1337 posts right now so... might want to just hang out there.



ah, damnit. i was 1337 for so little time, too.

From what I remember, I think it all came out last year RIGHT before ASW. I can wait a while, but my wait should hopefully be worth it. I didn't even submit that high of a matching scholly offer.


were people notified of dean schollys when accepted? i heard nothing.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby djwjddl » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:26 am

everyone just chill lol. most matching offers are made between march 15 and may 1, with the majority of those going out in early April.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby twinkletoes16 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?


Same. Freaked out when I saw the subject line because I thought they were getting back to me on the matching scholarship

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby risa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:07 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?

I got this too. I am very PI-focused, but very white.

coriander
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Berkeley Law Class of 2016

Postby coriander » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:11 pm

voytek wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Anyone get an invite for a student of color PI scholarship? They said they wanted to send it to me but uh...I'm not a student of color?


Same. Freaked out when I saw the subject line because I thought they were getting back to me on the matching scholarship



+1




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest