UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
rustyyoda

New

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by rustyyoda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Hey guys, I was also just accepted as a transfer student and am seeking housing. If you are looking for an extra roommate, PM me!

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:14 pm

About immunizations and whatnot, you can wait until school starts and go to UVA health center to get whatever updates you need. However, they threaten you with a $100 fine if you don't get it in by a certain date (october-ish). It's pretty annoying to have to do during the most busy/confusing time of the year (and your life?), but not a big deal. I went this route because I needed some boosters and did not have health insurance before I arrived.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 pm

anon sequitur wrote:About immunizations and whatnot, you can wait until school starts and go to UVA health center to get whatever updates you need. However, they threaten you with a $100 fine if you don't get it in by a certain date (october-ish). It's pretty annoying to have to do during the most busy/confusing time of the year (and your life?), but not a big deal. I went this route because I needed some boosters and did not have health insurance before I arrived.
TYTY. I'll probably do it that way if they ding me for the TB screening that I missed.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Hey folks, I'm withdrawing and need to find somebody to take over my place. It's in Arlington Court, a one-bedroom that's a five-minute walk from the school. $750/month. PM me if you're interested.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Hey folks, I'm withdrawing and need to find somebody to take over my place. It's in Arlington Court, a one-bedroom that's a five-minute walk from the school. $750/month. PM me if you're interested.
Post on the class FB. A couple people have checked in recently looking for housing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

For those with Macs: I used Word Notebook layout in UG and didn't have too much of an issue. I'm wondering if I might need something more full-featured now, though. What are you guys planning on doing?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 pm

digifly wrote:For those with Macs: I used Word Notebook layout in UG and didn't have too much of an issue. I'm wondering if I might need something more full-featured now, though. What are you guys planning on doing?
I know nothing about macs but intend to buy one so I would too like to know what I should use for a word processor.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 pm

digifly wrote:For those with Macs: I used Word Notebook layout in UG and didn't have too much of an issue. I'm wondering if I might need something more full-featured now, though. What are you guys planning on doing?
You don't

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Br3v wrote:
I know nothing about macs but intend to buy one so I would too like to know what I should use for a word processor.
You use MS word as your wordprocessor for a mac, just like a PC. Digifly was talking about note-taking programs (as something like OneNote doesn't work on macs). But that is 100% unnecessary

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:17 pm

You use MS word as your wordprocessor for a mac, just like a PC. Digifly was talking about note-taking programs (as something like OneNote doesn't work on macs). But that is 100% unnecessary
You're the second person to state this, so I'm dropping the idea. I suppose I can just be OCD in Word instead of some note-taking software. For classes that ban laptops, do you hand write notes and then add them to your Word docs later?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 pm

digifly wrote:
You're the second person to state this, so I'm dropping the idea. I suppose I can just be OCD in Word instead of some note-taking software. For classes that ban laptops, do you hand write notes and then add them to your Word docs later?
There's no One True Way to take notes, outline, or prepare for finals, you just gravitate towards what works for you. If somebody tells you otherwise, they're lying. I outlined from my notes and other sources, so it didn't really matter whether my other notes were written out or typed

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:14 pm

digifly wrote:
I've found that most professors speak slowly, repeat themselves, and occasionally go on long tangents, so you don't need to frantically type everything they say. For classes that don't allow laptops, I hand wrote my notes and then didn't do anything with them until it was time to outline, at which point I typed the most important parts into my outline. Other people type all their handwritten notes the same day. Like 5ky said, whatever works for you is what you should do.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 am

digifly wrote:
You could always use parallels and use onenote on a Mac that way if you really wanted to try it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:41 am

North wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:About immunizations and whatnot, you can wait until school starts and go to UVA health center to get whatever updates you need. However, they threaten you with a $100 fine if you don't get it in by a certain date (october-ish). It's pretty annoying to have to do during the most busy/confusing time of the year (and your life?), but not a big deal. I went this route because I needed some boosters and did not have health insurance before I arrived.
TYTY. I'll probably do it that way if they ding me for the TB screening that I missed.
I was told in no uncertain terms by financial aid that delaying your student health form/health insurance info (or delaying purchasing it from the school) CAN delay the disbursement of ahy student loan to your student account and WILL delay withdrawing any excess loan amount after tuition is factored in. You probably can delay getting any MISSING immunizations until later but you still likely need the form in before orientation.

TLDR: Fill out the health form and insurance info/purchase before 8/15 (when loans are supposed to disburse). Complete any missing immunizations before October (still turn form in by 8/15)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:00 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:
You could always use parallels and use onenote on a Mac that way if you really wanted to try it.
I used OneNote exclusively throughout undergrad, so I actually did that my 1L year. Not worth it.

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
TLDR: Fill out the health form and insurance info/purchase before 8/15 (when loans are supposed to disburse). Complete any missing immunizations before October (still turn form in by 8/15)
Yeah, definitely don't skip the health insurance requirement, they actually make you swear that you have insurance before school starts, and mention that it's an honor code violation to fail to get it. But all the immunizations are not necessary before classes start. They could run you several hundred dollars out of pocket (especially if you can't do the normal TB test, as I couldn't) but will be "free" once you're on the student health plan. Four or five people in my section had to get some sort of immunization updates after classes began, it wasn't a big deal.

turn left

New

Post by turn left » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:49 am

If I'll be using other health insurance, should I just deduct the amount listed for health insurance in the budget from my grad plus loan amount before I accept?

Also, is there a specific form to fill out to opt out of UVA health insurance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 am

Moved in yesterday, but had to come back to Richmond to get a few more things done (get rid of junk and whatnot). Will be moved in for good on Wednesday. If anyone else is in Cville and wants to drink some cheap beer sometime, hit me up.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm

turn left wrote:If I'll be using other health insurance, should I just deduct the amount listed for health insurance in the budget from my grad plus loan amount before I accept?

Interested in your second question as well. It seems like you just send the photo copy of your insurance and that's it, but I feel like there has to be something more official.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:23 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
turn left wrote:If I'll be using other health insurance, should I just deduct the amount listed for health insurance in the budget from my grad plus loan amount before I accept?

Interested in your second question as well. It seems like you just send the photo copy of your insurance and that's it, but I feel like there has to be something more official.
The UVA health insurance is an OPT IN service. All you have to do if you're using another insurance is mail in the photocopies.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Guess the Pavilion has never heard of BCC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:46 pm

digifly wrote:Guess the Pavilion has never heard of BCC.
Oh look! 319 new fraaans. :?

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:

The UVA health insurance is an OPT IN service. All you have to do if you're using another insurance is mail in the photocopies.
Ah okay, thank ya for that.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Some difficulties w/ e-mail over at the Pavilion?

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:03 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Some difficulties w/ e-mail over at the Pavilion?
Nah, they just sent all the residents an email that shows everyone else's email addresses. Dare me to "reply all" and ask who's down for bar review?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”