UVA Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
NoodleyOne

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:03 am

It all depends on what you plan on using it for. If you're not going to do any intensive stuff, get something that's more cost effective. You don't need the latest Nvidia card with the latest processor and shit if all you're going to do is use word and netflix.

shibby

Postby shibby » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:It all depends on what you plan on using it for. If you're not going to do any intensive stuff, get something that's more cost effective. You don't need the latest Nvidia card with the latest processor and shit if all you're going to do is use word and netflix.

Yeah, I agree. People tend to buy "too much laptop," which I'm guilty of as well, so I'm trying to be smarter about it this time.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 am

So uhhh when's everyone moving in? I'll be moving in July 15th-18th and then off to Boston for a month to work. I'll be back right before orientation starts.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 am

shadowofjazz wrote:So uhhh when's everyone moving in? I'll be moving in July 15th-18th and then off to Boston for a month to work. I'll be back right before orientation starts.

Early to mid August I think. Aiming for around the 10th-ish!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 am

Moving late June and just chillin by the pool until the school year starts.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:43 am

Really want to move in now but can't until August because I'm not allowed to move in before I turn 21 :(

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Really want to move in now but can't until August because I'm not allowed to move in before I turn 21 :(

Wha? Says who?

shibby

Postby shibby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Moving in August 12 when my lease starts.

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

shibby wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:It all depends on what you plan on using it for. If you're not going to do any intensive stuff, get something that's more cost effective. You don't need the latest Nvidia card with the latest processor and shit if all you're going to do is use word and netflix.

Yeah, I agree. People tend to buy "too much laptop," which I'm guilty of as well, so I'm trying to be smarter about it this time.

I passed through best buy this weekend to check out laptops. It's true that the UVA suggetions are way too overpriced, but it's really tough for me to deny the MB air's sexyness. It definitely feels better-built than some of the PC counterparts.

With that said, I think I'm going to go with a mid-ranged ASUS. I have a fairly new desktop that I'll be using for most of my intense school-work at home. Laptop will mostly be for class/library.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:16 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Really want to move in now but can't until August because I'm not allowed to move in before I turn 21 :(

Wha? Says who?

Real Property Inc, who wouldn't allow me to begin a lease in May, June or July. Fortunately, I turn 21 before orientation or I wouldn't have been able to get a 1BR.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Wha? Says who?

Real Property Inc, who wouldn't allow me to begin a lease in May, June or July. Fortunately, I turn 21 before orientation or I wouldn't have been able to get a 1BR go to Bar Review on Thursdays.

FTFY

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm

digifly wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Wha? Says who?

Real Property Inc, who wouldn't allow me to begin a lease in May, June or July. Fortunately, I turn 21 before orientation or I wouldn't have been able to get a 1BR go to Bar Review on Thursdays.

FTFY

One day I'm gonna read my post history as a disgruntled 1L and remember the time I thought housing was more important than drinking :D

shibby

Postby shibby » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:08 pm

RSterling wrote:
shibby wrote:

I passed through best buy this weekend to check out laptops. It's true that the UVA suggetions are way too overpriced, but it's really tough for me to deny the MB air's sexyness. It definitely feels better-built than some of the PC counterparts.

With that said, I think I'm going to go with a mid-ranged ASUS. I have a fairly new desktop that I'll be using for most of my intense school-work at home. Laptop will mostly be for class/library.

I've been looking into ASUS's too. Think I'll end up going with a Lenovo but they look like a solid backup choice. I love my MBP retina display, so I totally understand the temptation. BUT, it's true that Macs are ways overpriced so I'm selling mine to buy a new PC + have extra cash leftover.

WahooLaw24

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Moving late June and just chillin by the pool until the school year starts.

Jealous. Early August for me I'm thinking.

hamy

Postby hamy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm

shibby wrote:
RSterling wrote:
shibby wrote:

I've been looking into ASUS's too. Think I'll end up going with a Lenovo but they look like a solid backup choice. I love my MBP retina display, so I totally understand the temptation. BUT, it's true that Macs are ways overpriced so I'm selling mine to buy a new PC + have extra cash leftover.

Get an ultrabook (unless you need an optical drive/intense graphics card)! Samsung and Dell both have solid options. Also, I believe if you call Dell you can say you're a student and get a discount (how I got my undergrad laptop and what I'll probably do for another in a month or so).

shibby

Postby shibby » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 pm

hamy wrote:
shibby wrote:
RSterling wrote:
shibby wrote:

Get an ultrabook (unless you need an optical drive/intense graphics card)! Samsung and Dell both have solid options. Also, I believe if you call Dell you can say you're a student and get a discount (how I got my undergrad laptop and what I'll probably do for another in a month or so).

It's a little unclear to me how much more beneficial it would be to have an Ultrabook over simply a fast, light, high quality regular laptop. To me it seems you're paying a premium for the name. Am I wrong?

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm legit sad to say good bye, but I gotta check out. :(

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

shibby wrote:It's a little unclear to me how much more beneficial it would be to have an Ultrabook over simply a fast, light, high quality regular laptop. To me it seems you're paying a premium for the name. Am I wrong?

Ultrabooks are really light. I'm not really a fan, since I do some stuff that needs more machine, but they're the equivalent of Macbook Air's, I believe, for half the price. Also, some have touch screens (for some reason).

shibby

Postby shibby » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
shibby wrote:It's a little unclear to me how much more beneficial it would be to have an Ultrabook over simply a fast, light, high quality regular laptop. To me it seems you're paying a premium for the name. Am I wrong?

Ultrabooks are really light. I'm not really a fan, since I do some stuff that needs more machine, but they're the equivalent of Macbook Air's, I believe, for half the price. Also, some have touch screens (for some reason).

Got it. Yeah, I'm looking for something a little more substantial, namely because I'm prone to dropping things and don't want something too delicate. Also, hate the inundation of touch screens. Flooding the market, it's annoying.

hamy

Postby hamy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:25 pm

You could definitely find non touch screen ultrabooks. If simply by a matter of personal preference you want something more hefty/less delicate then that's perfectly fine. Just in general ultrabooks are nice and light form-wise and offer substantial computing power while taking up less space/power. The SSD and low-power CPU requirements means you'll have a much quicker computer using less juice thus lasting longer. Of course if you simply find the same components in a 'regular' laptop that works. You're not necessarily paying a premium for the name but rather the higher-end components that are required to be used in an 'ultrabook.'

shibby wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Got it. Yeah, I'm looking for something a little more substantial, namely because I'm prone to dropping things and don't want something too delicate. Also, hate the inundation of touch screens. Flooding the market, it's annoying.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Jaqen wrote:I'm legit sad to say good bye, but I gotta check out. :(

Good luck!

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Have any of you guys considered joining the Jefferson Society? It looks awesome.... but it's on every FRIDAY night ....

syd625

Postby syd625 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm a relatively recent admit off the waitlist and am searching for an apartment. If anyone has signed a lease for a one-bedroom and needs to back out or is looking for a female roommate for a 2bd/2ba in the Pavilion, please let me know. Thanks!

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Will officially be moved in on the 23rd of this month, but going to be back and forth for a few weeks while I settle affairs...

Still, so excited. TSO EXCITED!!!!!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:53 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Will officially be moved in on the 23rd of this month, but going to be back and forth for a few weeks while I settle affairs...

Still, so excited. TSO EXCITED!!!!!

Dude that's like 9 days!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”