UVA Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
intlsplitr
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby intlsplitr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Jaqen wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Just got this email from UVA re: schollies:

Good afternoon. I write to update you on where we are in our scholarship awarding process.

The deadline for those awarded scholarships in the first round has now passed and we are in the process of evaluating where we stand with available funds for a possible second round of scholarship offers. We hope to complete this process by the end of the week and will let you know early next week, via email, if we are able to offer you an award.

While we certainly appreciate that every admitted student would like to receive scholarship aid -- and we would love to be able to award scholarships to all the outstanding candidates to whom we offer admission -- we, like all other law schools, have limited resources.

If you have not already done so, please be sure to submit your completed FAFSA and NeedAccess forms so that our Financial Aid Office can provide you with a student loan package. For information about the financial aid process, please go to:

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospe ... /apply.htm

Thank you for your patience.

It's nice that they give us a timeframe, and don't treat us like NYU admissions does.


Got this too.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:59 am

Seems like a generic email sent to people who contacted her on Monday/early Tuesday...at least that's my theory after reading what people have been saying.

pmk180
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby pmk180 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 am

shadowofjazz wrote:Seems like a generic email sent to people who contacted her on Monday/early Tuesday...at least that's my theory after reading what people have been saying.


I haven't contacted her at all and I got the email as well.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

pmk180 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Seems like a generic email sent to people who contacted her on Monday/early Tuesday...at least that's my theory after reading what people have been saying.


I haven't contacted her at all and I got the email as well.
There goes my theory! Oh well!

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby jym_dawg » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
pmk180 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Seems like a generic email sent to people who contacted her on Monday/early Tuesday...at least that's my theory after reading what people have been saying.


I haven't contacted her at all and I got the email as well.
There goes my theory! Oh well!


Haha I was about to say... I contacted her but didn't get the email. Just waiting to see what happens now.

muhami
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby muhami » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Can someone better explain Need Access?

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm

muhami wrote:Can someone better explain Need Access?
You NEED to fill it out to get ACCESS to financial aid.

But seriously, its the equivalent of the CSS Profile for law schools. It just goes more in depth into finances than the FAFSA does to better estimate COL adjustments and such. In the end, they're going to give you the full budget in loans minus any scholarships you receive. Maybe it feeds into the need-merit scholarships they're giving out now too...

muhami
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby muhami » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks!

shadowofjazz wrote:
muhami wrote:Can someone better explain Need Access?
You NEED to fill it out to get ACCESS to financial aid.

But seriously, its the equivalent of the CSS Profile for law schools. It just goes more in depth into finances than the FAFSA does to better estimate COL adjustments and such. In the end, they're going to give you the full budget in loans minus any scholarships you receive. Maybe it feeds into the need-merit scholarships they're giving out now too...

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi guise. 8)

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

TripTrip wrote:Hi guise. 8)

Welcome aboard, Trip.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

North wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Hi guise. 8)

Welcome aboard, Trip.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Happy to be here.

I just did a padmapper search of C'ville. Holy toledo... the most expensive apartments are half the price of what I was looking at around NU. I'm going to have to recalculate COL. :shock:

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

TripTrip wrote:Happy to be here.

I just did a padmapper search of C'ville. Holy toledo... the most expensive apartments are half the price of what I was looking at around NU. I'm going to have to recalculate COL. :shock:


Just get a place at the pavillion so that way you don't have to re-calc COL

(Sarcasm)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:12 pm

I'll just rent out two apartments and furnish them both with the extra money.

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby mh013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I just did a padmapper search of C'ville. Holy toledo... the most expensive apartments are half the price of what I was looking at around NU. I'm going to have to recalculate COL.


I feel you man. Coming from undergrad in LA the cost of living in VA is fantastic!
The American dollar is worth so much at UVA.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:18 pm

mh013 wrote:
I just did a padmapper search of C'ville. Holy toledo... the most expensive apartments are half the price of what I was looking at around NU. I'm going to have to recalculate COL.


I feel you man. Coming from undergrad in LA the cost of living in VA is fantastic!
The American dollar is worth so much at UVA.
Even coming from Boston, the COL difference is huge!

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm

Br3v wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Happy to be here.

I just did a padmapper search of C'ville. Holy toledo... the most expensive apartments are half the price of what I was looking at around NU. I'm going to have to recalculate COL. :shock:


Just get a place at the pavillion so that way you don't have to re-calc COL

(Sarcasm)


At those prices, it would be a sin not to get a place like that!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Even the Pavilion is not that bad. I already own all my own furniture though, so that would be a waste.

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby mh013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Even the Pavilion is not that bad. I already own all my own furniture though, so that would be a waste.


There are cheaper ones unfurnished if such an option floats your boat.
Admittedly, I am biased since I will be living in the Pavilion and am trying to get as many people in there as possible.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm

mh013 wrote:
Even the Pavilion is not that bad. I already own all my own furniture though, so that would be a waste.


There are cheaper ones unfurnished if such an option floats your boat.
Admittedly, I am biased since I will be living in the Pavilion and am trying to get as many people in there as possible.

Unfurnished @ the Pavilion? What's the pricing like? I could only find limited info online.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mh013 wrote:
Even the Pavilion is not that bad. I already own all my own furniture though, so that would be a waste.


There are cheaper ones unfurnished if such an option floats your boat.
Admittedly, I am biased since I will be living in the Pavilion and am trying to get as many people in there as possible.

Unfurnished @ the Pavilion? What's the pricing like? I could only find limited info online.


yeah I hadn't heard that either.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mh013 wrote:
Even the Pavilion is not that bad. I already own all my own furniture though, so that would be a waste.


There are cheaper ones unfurnished if such an option floats your boat.
Admittedly, I am biased since I will be living in the Pavilion and am trying to get as many people in there as possible.

Unfurnished @ the Pavilion? What's the pricing like? I could only find limited info online.


The info online is pretty terrible. They only list three floorplans on their site, though they have more than ten available.

The furniture is an additional package which technically costs extra, but is being waved right now for first-time residents.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:26 pm

digifly wrote:The furniture is an additional package which technically costs extra, but is being waved right now for first-time residents.


So squatters looking to buy don't get the deal?

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby mh013 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Unfurnished @ the Pavilion? What's the pricing like? I could only find limited info online.


How many bedrooms are you looking at?

However, at this point the furniture in the furnished ones are free (at least they were when I signed), so I'm not sure how much of an advantage this would be.

At a point I was looking for a one bedroom, and the furnished ones were ~1350-1375 while the unfurnished were ~1200

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6367
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 5ky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Also, bear in mind that unless you live in a place that's furnished all 3 years, you're going to have to buy some at some point anyway; having a furnished apartment for one year isn't going to save you any money in the long run.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests