UVA Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6386
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 5ky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:I didn't get the email, but I checked SIS and the loan package is there. A couple questions..

Anyone know when we have to accept/decline the loans?

Does anyone know if we can change our SIS password? Mine is a bunch of odd characters that is going to be annoying to remember.

Andddd... does anyone know how to change our email alias or whatever? Like instead of J2k@virginia.edu we could change it to john.smith@virginia.edu or something? I like that better :D

Sorry I'm not very computer savvy. Thanks!


1. You cannot change your email. You can create a second email (an alias), that is easier to read: like john.smith. BUT this will not replace your other email address, and aliases are @email.virginia.edu, not @virginia.edu. To be honest, I don't really know anybody that uses an alias. There's more info here: http://its.virginia.edu/email/ams/about.html

2. For your SIS password, did they assign you a random one? I can't remember if they did or not. My guess would be to look in the upper right hand corner of SIS where it says "retrieve or replace password." But I will say that SIS has some pretty stupid password requirements, like uppercase/lowercase, numbers, and a symbol of some sort. Not even getting into why those type or requirements don't even help prevent hacking, it's a pain and I'm not even sure it can be the same password as LawWeb.

User avatar
kingjones59
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby kingjones59 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:07 pm

shadowofjazz wrote: So UVA estimates for OOS tuition for next year is sitting at around $55k...


If this is true, when is the madness of tuition hikes going to stop? I wish one school (preferably UVA) would start a chain reaction of slicing their tuition by 10%. The rest of the T14 would follow suit. I'm excited for UVA next year and I'm going to law school for the sole reason of wanting to be an attorney and not for any potential wealth, but jesus, 3 years of tuition alone is higher than the market salary for big law now.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6386
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 5ky » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:39 pm

kingjones59 wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote: So UVA estimates for OOS tuition for next year is sitting at around $55k...


If this is true, when is the madness of tuition hikes going to stop? I wish one school (preferably UVA) would start a chain reaction of slicing their tuition by 10%. The rest of the T14 would follow suit. I'm excited for UVA next year and I'm going to law school for the sole reason of wanting to be an attorney and not for any potential wealth, but jesus, 3 years of tuition alone is higher than the market salary for big law now.


I think most schools raise tuition a bit just about every year. It's just something you have to build into your estimated cost of attendance. My 1L year, 2010-2011, tuition for OOS was 47k. Those were the days.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby anon sequitur » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 pm

kingjones59 wrote:I wish one school (preferably UVA) would start a chain reaction of slicing their tuition by 10%. The rest of the T14 would follow suit.


Why would they do that? There's plenty of evidence that people don't choose between comparable schools based on small differences in cost.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 am

shadowofjazz wrote:You don't need to do the application on SIS (that's the old UFAA one). Just do the FAFSA and Need Access. I got mine aid awardloan offers today as did some others. Seems COA is going to be around 75k give or take. So UVA estimates for OOS tuition for next year is sitting at around $55k...


Damn, tuition is getting crazy!

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6386
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 5ky » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:You don't need to do the application on SIS (that's the old UFAA one). Just do the FAFSA and Need Access. I got mine aid awardloan offers today as did some others. Seems COA is going to be around 75k give or take. So UVA estimates for OOS tuition for next year is sitting at around $55k...


Damn, tuition is getting crazy!


Yeah, it sucks for the 1Ls too, because theirs will go up as well. Maybe 2Ls too, I'm honestly not sure. It's sad I don't remember whether my tuition got jacked up for my third year or not, but I'm pretty sure it didn't.

User avatar
kingjones59
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby kingjones59 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 pm

on a lighter note, is everyone staying in town friday night after ASD?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

kingjones59 wrote:on a lighter note, is everyone staying in town friday night after ASD?

Yuss.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm

North wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:on a lighter note, is everyone staying in town friday night after ASD?

Yuss.
I'll be there Friday night as well. Props if you figure out who I am (one person already figured it out on FB).

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:43 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
North wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:on a lighter note, is everyone staying in town friday night after ASD?

Yuss.
I'll be there Friday night a well. Props if you figure out who I am (one person already figured it out on FB).

Lol, Shadow, you weren't hard at all. I still can't figure out who the hell Brev is though. TLS UVA meatup?

ETA: Or shntn, for that matter.
Last edited by North on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:49 pm

North wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
North wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:on a lighter note, is everyone staying in town friday night after ASD?

Yuss.
I'll be there Friday night a well. Props if you figure out who I am (one person already figured it out on FB).

Lol, Shadow, you weren't hard at all. I still can't figure out who the hell Brev is though. TLS UVA meatup?
You jest. Unless you changed your username to make it more anonymous. In which case you got lucky. If you didn't, please stop stalking me =P

Also, I would be down for TLS drinks on Friday night. Maybe some current UVA TLS's can join and share their experiences?

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Count me in!

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

digifly wrote:Count me in!
Everyone who is interested, send me a FB friend request and I'll organize everything (shoot me a PM here if you can't figure it out =P ). I posted in the UVA Law Students thread inviting any current students to our small gathering as well.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:57 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
digifly wrote:Count me in!
Everyone who is interested, send me a FB friend request and I'll organize everything (shoot me a PM here if you can't figure it out =P ). I posted in the UVA Law Students thread inviting any current students to our small gathering as well.

Awesome.

shibby
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby shibby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Of course, was just offered a room at the Jeffersonian. Didn't think in a million years they'd dip down to #45 on the wait list. Already have an apartment lined up, sooo, WL #46, you're welcome :)

Heat
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Heat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

You all might as well go to The Biltmore -- read Bilt --- for your meetup. That is where you'll spend the (at least part) of the vast majority of the nights you go out next year.

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby WahooLaw24 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Heat wrote:You all might as well go to The Biltmore -- read Bilt --- for your meetup. That is where you'll spend the (at least part) of the vast majority of the nights you go out next year.


That's where I wound up last year because that's where Bar Review was that night I believe. Cool place.

Based on the way the Corner is set up and your post, I'm guessing there's a good amount of bar hopping? And hopefully not a lot of cover fees? Haha

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Heat wrote:You all might as well go to The Biltmore -- read Bilt --- for your meetup. That is where you'll spend the (at least part) of the vast majority of the nights you go out next year.


That's where I wound up last year because that's where Bar Review was that night I believe. Cool place.

Based on the way the Corner is set up and your post, I'm guessing there's a good amount of bar hopping? And hopefully not a lot of cover fees? Haha


Spot on. Definitely a lot of bar hopping and, depending on where you're coming to Charlottesville from, cheap drinks. Bilt is awesome, I'm also a fan of the Backyard (right next door) and the Virginian.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:07 am

Does anyone know if there is specific attire require/recommended for the ASW and Pre-ASW BBQ? I assume it's pretty casual, right?

WahooLaw24
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby WahooLaw24 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am

digifly wrote:Does anyone know if there is specific attire require/recommended for the ASW and Pre-ASW BBQ? I assume it's pretty casual, right?


As I said in the other thread, don't wear sweats and don't wear a tie, but anything in between should be good.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 am

WahooLaw24 wrote:
digifly wrote:Does anyone know if there is specific attire require/recommended for the ASW and Pre-ASW BBQ? I assume it's pretty casual, right?


As I said in the other thread, don't wear sweats and don't wear a tie, but anything in between should be good.


What about sweats...WITH a tie? That's the definition of business casual, right?

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby sprezz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

voytek wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
Heat wrote:You all might as well go to The Biltmore -- read Bilt --- for your meetup. That is where you'll spend the (at least part) of the vast majority of the nights you go out next year.


That's where I wound up last year because that's where Bar Review was that night I believe. Cool place.

Based on the way the Corner is set up and your post, I'm guessing there's a good amount of bar hopping? And hopefully not a lot of cover fees? Haha


Spot on. Definitely a lot of bar hopping and, depending on where you're coming to Charlottesville from, cheap drinks. Bilt is awesome, I'm also a fan of the Backyard (right next door) and the Virginian.


backyard shut down, it's gonna be a crozet pizza (or that was the word in october)

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

sprezz wrote:
voytek wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
Heat wrote:You all might as well go to The Biltmore -- read Bilt --- for your meetup. That is where you'll spend the (at least part) of the vast majority of the nights you go out next year.


That's where I wound up last year because that's where Bar Review was that night I believe. Cool place.

Based on the way the Corner is set up and your post, I'm guessing there's a good amount of bar hopping? And hopefully not a lot of cover fees? Haha


Spot on. Definitely a lot of bar hopping and, depending on where you're coming to Charlottesville from, cheap drinks. Bilt is awesome, I'm also a fan of the Backyard (right next door) and the Virginian.


backyard shut down, it's gonna be a crozet pizza (or that was the word in october)


Oh man. That spot for some reason always was bad luck... I remember 3 different places there in a few years

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby envisciguy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

digifly wrote:Does anyone know if there is specific attire require/recommended for the ASW and Pre-ASW BBQ? I assume it's pretty casual, right?


Don't be the guy in the suit. Also don't be the guy in shorts with sandals. Anything between that is good.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Yardbird » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm

envisciguy wrote:
digifly wrote:Does anyone know if there is specific attire require/recommended for the ASW and Pre-ASW BBQ? I assume it's pretty casual, right?


Don't be the guy in the suit. Also don't be the guy in shorts with sandals. Anything between that is good.

I dunno....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHuQ4TnwXkw




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests