UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Jaqen

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Jaqen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:They look soooooooooooo nice. Unfortunately, I don't excrete money.
Nor do I. Thus, looking at the 2BR. (Though I might change my mind on whether I want to live alone or not, and a 1BR at that price is out of the question.) Are studios/1BRs close to campus really gonna get much better than 800ish?

I need to spend way more time on this obviously, I've only really looked at Jeffersonian (that ship has sailed), Ivy (sounds noisy), and Pavilion due to this thread. :P

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 pm

az21833 wrote:hey has anybody gotten any info on the financial aid awareness session taht we need to complete by 3.15? i have not seen anything...it was mentioned on the green sheet in the admissions packet
I've not seen anything yet, but also haven't been looking very hard.

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 pm

az21833 wrote:you housing obsessed children, answer my question!!!

lol just kidding

love yal
I know what you're referring to and I haven't gotten any info about it yet.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:09 pm

Jaqen wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Jaqen wrote:Checking in! UVA is at the tip-top of my list atm.

I've already been looking at apartments. :lol: The Pavilion looks awesome, if pricey. Who wants to share a 2BR? :mrgreen:
I don't, but what do they run again? Like 725 a person?
1-Bed / 1-Bath - $1,225 - $1375
2-Bed / 2-Bath - $815 - $900 - PER BEDROOM
3-Bed / 3-Bath - $750 - PER BEDROOM
2-Bed / 2-Bath TH 1364 Sq Ft - $975 - PER BEDROOM
2-Bed / 2-Bath TH 1589 Sq Ft - $1,000 - PER BEDROOM

Definitely on the high side. I'm gonna keep looking, but I'm keeping this place in the back of my mind. I wonder if they do 9-month leases.
My DC and island rent warped brain has this looking like a prize tbh.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 pm

I have been in full on search mode for housing the past few weeks and I can comfortably say that those prices are sky high for Charlottesville. I would assume that means they are beautiful and have all the amenities. The location is only a little further than Jeffersonian which is an obvious plus though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 am

Jaqen wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:They look soooooooooooo nice. Unfortunately, I don't excrete money.
Nor do I. Thus, looking at the 2BR. (Though I might change my mind on whether I want to live alone or not, and a 1BR at that price is out of the question.) Are studios/1BRs close to campus really gonna get much better than 800ish?

I need to spend way more time on this obviously, I've only really looked at Jeffersonian (that ship has sailed), Ivy (sounds noisy), and Pavilion due to this thread. :P
No. It seems that about 750-800 for being close is on par. Then again, you'd be living alone. But then againer, the Pavilion is supposedly amazing. My mom was in Cville yesterday so I begged her to look at two places for me. She went into the Pavilion (not by my request) and called me to inform me that I pretty much had to live there. I had to reiterate to her that I am poor. Her: "But honestly, it's SOOOooo nice. Bright, new, clean...the pool is.. "Mom, you don't need to convince me that I WANT to live there. I can't afford it."

Her 2 hours later looking at the place I could afford: "I think this is run by some sort of slumlord" :lol:

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
Jaqen wrote:

No. It seems that about 750-800 for being close is on par. Then again, you'd be living alone. But then againer, the Pavilion is supposedly amazing. My mom was in Cville yesterday so I begged her to look at two places for me. She went into the Pavilion (not by my request) and called me to inform me that I pretty much had to live there. I had to reiterate to her that I am poor. Her: "But honestly, it's SOOOooo nice. Bright, new, clean...the pool is.. "Mom, you don't need to convince me that I WANT to live there. I can't afford it."

Her 2 hours later looking at the place I could afford: "I think this is run by some sort of slumlord" :lol:
I think she was offering to help pay for your rent :wink:

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:50 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Jaqen wrote:

I think she was offering to help pay for your rent :wink:
Hah in my dreams! I am filling out the application for the one I can afford right now. :P

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 pm

Eichörnchen wrote: No. It seems that about 750-800 for being close is on par. Then again, you'd be living alone. But then againer, the Pavilion is supposedly amazing. My mom was in Cville yesterday so I begged her to look at two places for me. She went into the Pavilion (not by my request) and called me to inform me that I pretty much had to live there. I had to reiterate to her that I am poor. Her: "But honestly, it's SOOOooo nice. Bright, new, clean...the pool is.. "Mom, you don't need to convince me that I WANT to live there. I can't afford it."

Are you referring to the apts on Arlington? I'm so glad I didn't look at the Pavilion before I signed my lease w Arlington Court :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm

shibby wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: No. It seems that about 750-800 for being close is on par. Then again, you'd be living alone. But then againer, the Pavilion is supposedly amazing. My mom was in Cville yesterday so I begged her to look at two places for me. She went into the Pavilion (not by my request) and called me to inform me that I pretty much had to live there. I had to reiterate to her that I am poor. Her: "But honestly, it's SOOOooo nice. Bright, new, clean...the pool is.. "Mom, you don't need to convince me that I WANT to live there. I can't afford it."

Are you referring to the apts on Arlington? I'm so glad I didn't look at the Pavilion before I signed my lease w Arlington Court :)
Yep, though it was one of the Arlington Ct condos which I found is the exact same thing (literally) as the apartments except that they are independently owned units. This means that you may get an awesome landlord or someone who knows that they can do nothing and it will still get rented by someone desperate for a good location eventually.

And yea she looked at the Pavilion first, of course. But the place she saw after the condo was deemed a bit nicer than the first unit, so my fingers are crossed.

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

The Pavilion seems like okay rent compared to the over priced rent in my college town. Just put in a conditional lease for a two bedroom apartment.

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:The Pavilion seems like okay rent compared to the over priced rent in my college town. Just put in a conditional lease for a two bedroom apartment.
I'd also like to live in a 2BB if I decide to go there.
And guys, The Pavilion only offers a 12-month lease...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

The pavilion rent is appreciably higher than anywhere on Arlington or Ivy

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Just wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:The Pavilion seems like okay rent compared to the over priced rent in my college town. Just put in a conditional lease for a two bedroom apartment.
I think they do August to June.

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

danitt wrote:
Just wrote:
Really? I got an email saying this: Since we are just starting out, we are doing 12-month leases only for consistencies sake.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Just wrote:
danitt wrote:
Just wrote:
Really? I got an email saying this: Since we are just starting out, we are doing 12-month leases only for consistencies sake.
I'll email them to find out for sure.

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Man, I went to UVA for undergrad and this thread has me stressed out about housing. Gotta love TLS

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

Have any of you attended an alumni reception in your area? I know admitted students are invited, but I wonder how many will actually be there.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm

So, does anybody want to be my SRS BSNS law school roommate?

Just signed a lease for a 2BR/1BA on Arlington, less than a quarter mile from the school. It's right across the street from that new Pavilion at North Grounds place. Furnished for free if you want it. $420 a month, plus cable/utilities. Lease starts in July. Pretty sure it's cheaper than Jeffersonian, even with the extra month.

Hit me up in a PM if you're interested. Here's the place on Google street view.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Does no one think it'd be a good idea to snag a house and get roommates? Or is it just that no one is interested? That's what I'm doing right now and it's cheaper/more fun.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 pm

digifly wrote:Does no one think it'd be a good idea to snag a house and get roommates? Or is it just that no one is interested? That's what I'm doing right now and it's cheaper/more fun.
It's a good idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

digifly wrote:Does no one think it'd be a good idea to snag a house and get roommates? Or is it just that no one is interested? That's what I'm doing right now and it's cheaper/more fun.
This was my original plan. The farmhouses around Cville are super cheap and I like the country a lot. It is more fun. But reading the old pages of the Ask a UVA Student thread pretty much convinced me to go for a place on Arlington, at least for 1L. For 2L, living 20 minutes away out in the sounds fantastic.

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 am

Last edited by Hspeaksfriend on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 am

North wrote:
This was my original plan. The farmhouses around Cville are super cheap and I like the country a lot. It is more fun. But reading the old pages of the Ask a UVA Student thread pretty much convinced me to go for a place on Arlington, at least for 1L. For 2L, living 20 minutes away out in the sounds fantastic.
Hmmm, yeah, living on or near campus my freshman year was crucial to the experience. Starting to sound like Arlington or Ivy is just gonna be like dorms for law students (in a good way).

dixon02

Bronze

Post by dixon02 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:39 am

North wrote:
Just to be clear, there are options between these two things. Plenty of people live in houses on Lewis Mountain Road (probably tough to get at this point in the year, they go fast), in the Rugby area, and in Belmont. Those are all within a ~10 minute drive, and not far from the bars either.

But yes, Ivy will be the center of the social scene during 1L. If that's a priority for you (which is perfectly fine, if not encouraged), then just live in Ivy. Arlington's really more ideal for people who don't have a car; it's not where people go to hang out quite as much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”