UVA Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Rhoover894
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Rhoover894 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm

North wrote:
On a related note, I hate UVA's website. I thought BlackBoard was bad, but this site makes me miss it.


Agreed.

I guess only FAFSA and Need Access were mentioned in that financial aid email, so maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves with this other stuff.

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 2012Split177 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

Okay price but not super-cheap.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

When should I start looking into housing? Right now?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm

digifly wrote:So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

When should I start looking into housing? Right now?


Yeah start now, but don't forget TLS is a self selected population where everyone likes to plan ahead and such. Your still ahead of the game if you start now. I don't think many kids, if any, have leases signed outside of jeffersonian or UVA UG kids.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby az21833 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Br3v wrote:
digifly wrote:So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

When should I start looking into housing? Right now?


Yeah start now, but don't forget TLS is a self selected population where everyone likes to plan ahead and such. Your still ahead of the game if you start now. I don't think many kids, if any, have leases signed outside of jeffersonian or UVA UG kids.


when are you guys signing leases for? AUG-AUG? what if your out of cville 1l summer, which i imagine most will be

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

az21833 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
digifly wrote:So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

When should I start looking into housing? Right now?


Yeah start now, but don't forget TLS is a self selected population where everyone likes to plan ahead and such. Your still ahead of the game if you start now. I don't think many kids, if any, have leases signed outside of jeffersonian or UVA UG kids.


when are you guys signing leases for? AUG-AUG? what if your out of cville 1l summer, which i imagine most will be


You pay for double rent if you can't sublease, 1Ls accords the country have the same potential problem if they land 1L SAs

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Gisney » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 005618502 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Gisney wrote:Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?


Have not heard of people getting $$ after being accepted unless it is leveraged by money from peer schools. Dont worry people with any kind of substantial scholly are definitely in the minority here.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby sprezz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

Okay price but not super-cheap.


i'm pretty familiar with that area and i've spent some time in that complex in particular, though not a ton. the area is a mix between undergrads and grad students; i don't know of any law students in that particular complex but that means almost nothing. it's <5 minutes walk from some pockets of law students. you should be mostly isolated from the real noise factory fraternities but you will get some noise from the ones hidden behind grady avenue. my guess is you won't get a ton of that inside your apartment unless you have windows open or something but i can't say for sure. the patios in the back are a nice touch on some of those units, not sure if they all have those though. the artist's rendering on that website is an accurate depiction of the floor plan i've been in in there, but i know the floor plans aren't uniform. in general with charlottesville rent i'd ask naggingly specific questions about anything i cared about e.g. included washer/dryer, etc. a lot of the general complaints about build quality/noise suppression in apartment complexes stem from upstairs neighbors (eagle's landing, university heights etc. etc.) so obviously having nobody above you is a plus. at this price, these apartments are a pretty good value if you can bike or drive to school -- driving should be really quick actually, easily less than 10 minutes unless rush hour. bonus points for being able to walk to the corner in <15mins and for being one of the rare areas where you're not really paying the standard premium for that.

msc's got a good reputation. so does woodard. rpi has a TERRIBLE one.

looks like i mostly just rambled, if you have more specific questions feel free to hit me up.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Gisney » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Gisney wrote:Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?


Have not heard of people getting $$ after being accepted unless it is leveraged by money from peer schools. Dont worry people with any kind of substantial scholly are definitely in the minority here.


You mean have never heard or no one has heard this cycle?

I am asking because I know some schools have given no initial merit aid but then add some later. Just curious if UVA was one

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 am

I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

Can anyone familiar with the area point me towards some houses?

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 am

Br3v wrote:I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

Can anyone familiar with the area point me towards some houses?


If you want a little house in the surrounding area, you're not going to find many that are catering to the academic cycle. There are some big houses where 3-5 law students live and they usually try to find groups to live in them the following year to keep them in the law school community, but nothing similar that I've seen for individual houses. I saw plenty of places like you're for rent last June and even July on craigslist, you're probably gonna have to wait until then. If you can come by the law school sometimes you'll see postings for individual houses on bulletin boards, but that's hit or miss. Only other option I can see is finding a 3L who is giving up their house, but I don't know how you'd do that.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just wait until the summer, scour craigslist, and don't worry if you can't sign a lease until July. You can always get a place in Ivy as a fall-back as late as August, someone will do a last minute deferral or get off the waitlist at HYS.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Br3v wrote:I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

Can anyone familiar with the area point me towards some houses?


If you want a little house in the surrounding area, you're not going to find many that are catering to the academic cycle. There are some big houses where 3-5 law students live and they usually try to find groups to live in them the following year to keep them in the law school community, but nothing similar that I've seen for individual houses. I saw plenty of places like you're for rent last June and even July on craigslist, you're probably gonna have to wait until then. If you can come by the law school sometimes you'll see postings for individual houses on bulletin boards, but that's hit or miss. Only other option I can see is finding a 3L who is giving up their house, but I don't know how you'd do that.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just wait until the summer, scour craigslist, and don't worry if you can't sign a lease until July. You can always get a place in Ivy as a fall-back as late as August, someone will do a last minute deferral or get off the waitlist at HYS.


Didnt want to wait till summer, but good to know that at least someone doesn't think that's a crazy back up plan. Thanks for the info.

voytek
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby voytek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm

2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

Okay price but not super-cheap.


I had friends who lived there when I was in undergrad. I agree with sprezz that they're pretty nice; I'd say that noise from surrounding buildings should not be a problem in them. Only problem I could foresee is that you may be a little bit far from the corner (where restaurants/bars are) if you don't have a bike/car. It's probably a ten-minute walk down 14th street to get there. To the law school, it's probably a 15 minute walk.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby sprezz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 pm

voytek wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194


I had friends who lived there when I was in undergrad. I agree with sprezz that they're pretty nice; I'd say that noise from surrounding buildings should not be a problem in them. Only problem I could foresee is that you may be a little bit far from the corner (where restaurants/bars are) if you don't have a bike/car. It's probably a ten-minute walk down 14th street to get there. To the law school, it's probably a 15 minute walk.


if you're a really fast walker, 25 minutes to the law school is a closer estimate; realistically, 35 minutes. i've made this walk and even with it'scoldandi'mdrunkspeed (tm) it took me a full 30 door to door.

tldr catch the bus to the law school if driving or biking aren't an option

ncc5
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby ncc5 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 pm

2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

Okay price but not super-cheap.


I'm an undergrad at UVA now and looking at these apartments for law school. There is a bus stop probably a one minute walk from here that is very convenient, and there is a lot of street parking right next to it (rare in Cville) so you and your potential roommates won't have to fight it out as to who gets to park there. That being said, you only get like 1 spot and 1 guest spot with the apartment. Overall the price is amazingly cheap, all things considered. The area is rented out specifically to either professionals or graduate students. My friend who lives there now is a nurse.

MrHairyLegs
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby MrHairyLegs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I like entertaining the idea of being able to live in a house/large apartment with roommates my first year, and it might work out to be pretty cheap. Is this common? I don't want to live alone....that's just awkward.

Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate(s), I nominate myself! I don't disappoint :D

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm into rooming as well. Cheaper. More fun. Sounds good to me!

I'm curious to know if people plan on working while in law school. It seems to me like that would be tough as hell (if not impossible). I'm wondering how I'm going to pay for rent, though? I suppose that's where these loans come in.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 am

Yeah, I'm going to have to fish for a roommate too if I land this apartment tomorrow...

User avatar
Hspeaksfriend
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:16 am

Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

Thoughts? :shock:

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:17 am

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

Thoughts? :shock:

It's just cheaper. I'd prefer to live alone, but loans.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am

North wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

Thoughts? :shock:

It's just cheaper. I'd prefer to live alone, but loans.


180

Anyone mind an English Bulldog puppy??

User avatar
PatrickChewing15
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby PatrickChewing15 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.

MrHairyLegs
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby MrHairyLegs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

PatrickChewing15 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.



Yo PatrickChewing, I'm also looking for a roommate. PM if you're still interested

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm

MrHairyLegs wrote:
PatrickChewing15 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.



Yo PatrickChewing, I'm also looking for a roommate. PM if you're still interested


PM me as well if you need a third.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest