UVA Class of 2016

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
ninetails
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby ninetails » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:56 pm

danitt wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Anyone considering the Pavilion? It's more expensive but seems way nicer then anything else. I dont want to be the only 1L living there, so i was wondering
http://pavilionatnorthgrounds.com/

I definitely am. Already started communicating with building management about the apartments.


Do you know if they have parking? Can't really tell from the website.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Teflon_Don » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Who all is going to the informal picnic?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm

..

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Who all is going to the informal picnic?


Checking in. And I marked that I would be attending this! (I'm not 100% on UVA but I am heavily, heavily leaning towards it).

Rhoover894
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Rhoover894 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Looks like the official Facebook group is up now: http://www.facebook.com/groups/329325000496897/

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Do you know if they have parking? Can't really tell from the website.
They definitely will (all the other places around them do). My understanding was/is that they're going to build a two-level parking garage as well.


They're building a parking deck, but it's around $60/month for a spot, if I recall correctly. I talked to someone at the leasing office a few weeks ago.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby Br3v » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:44 pm

ASW email!

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Br3v wrote:ASW email!

You going? Just RSVP'd. I'm excited.

ncc5
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby ncc5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 am

When I got the acceptance call, they did not mention whether or not I got merit aid (I didn't ask), but on the status checker my first deposit is due on Apr. 7th, which the AS website says is the deadline for merit scholarship recipients.

Does this mean that I may be getting a scholly with my admitted students packet, or is that the deadline for everyone? I don't want to call to ask because I just got the call on Friday.

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Anyone know what's up with the huge schollys from UVA? Seems like they are really throwing money at people this year. Not that I'm complaining - but it seems like a lot more than usual. Anyone have any insight?

I signed up for ASW and booked a hotel - but flights are freaking ridiculous (even with the stipend). Unless they go down a little I don't think I'm making it :-( So I guess I probably won't be meeting most of you until the fall.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:22 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:07 am

Teflon_Don wrote:Who all is going to the informal picnic?

This guy.

MrHairyLegs
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby MrHairyLegs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:22 am

admitted and looking forward to meeting you all at ASW!

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby danitt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am

Signing a conditional lease this morning (the condition being I have until mid-April to cancel if I don't attend UVA). This is getting real.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 pm

I know this has been addressed elsewhere before, but on an inconvenience scale of 1-10, what would UVA without a car be? I don't currently own one but am not opposed to just getting one if needed.

User avatar
anon sequitur
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby anon sequitur » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:15 pm

shntn wrote:I know this has been addressed elsewhere before, but on an inconvenience scale of 1-10, what would UVA without a car be? I don't currently own one but am not opposed to just getting one if needed.


If you live on Arlington 1-2, if you live in Ivy, 2-3. If you live elsewhere, 3-7. I think about five or six people in my section of 30 don't have cars, I don't hear them complaining too much.For the first few weeks of class, when you're moving in and trying to get errands done, it'd be a pain in the ass. After that, the only time I drive is when I want to go to a restaurant, go hiking, things like that. I'd look into zip car, or making best friends with people who have cars.

That being said, I bought a car, because I'm not used to not being mobile and it bugs me. If you're used to not having a car, it won't be a big deal.

BSC
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby BSC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 pm

danitt wrote:Signing a conditional lease this morning (the condition being I have until mid-April to cancel if I don't attend UVA). This is getting real.


If I'm about 60% sure I'll be attending in the fall, is this worth doing for me?

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby danitt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm

BSC wrote:
danitt wrote:Signing a conditional lease this morning (the condition being I have until mid-April to cancel if I don't attend UVA). This is getting real.


If I'm about 60% sure I'll be attending in the fall, is this worth doing for me?

I think it's worth it if you don't want to lose a good place. I really want to live in the complex that I signed the lease for if I end up at UVA. I had to pay a non-refundable fee but it was worth it to me to not have to scramble for a place. Especially because I have a pet.

hamy
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby hamy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 pm

When do we think the fb group will start picking up with housing/roommate inquiries? After missing out on any possibility of the jeffersonian I'm wondering what my best options are for someone who doesn't want to have to drive to class...

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby North » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:45 pm

hamy wrote:When do we think the fb group will start picking up with housing/roommate inquiries? After missing out on any possibility of the jeffersonian I'm wondering what my best options are for someone who doesn't want to have to drive to class...

Me too.

I went from "hey, I got in" to "wow, we're six months out and cheap places on Arlington are already gone" really quick thanks to ITT. I'm starting to think I should rent one of the super cheap farmhouses on Craigslist and just drive 20 minutes every day.

BSC
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby BSC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:47 am

danitt wrote:
BSC wrote:
danitt wrote:Signing a conditional lease this morning (the condition being I have until mid-April to cancel if I don't attend UVA). This is getting real.


If I'm about 60% sure I'll be attending in the fall, is this worth doing for me?

I think it's worth it if you don't want to lose a good place. I really want to live in the complex that I signed the lease for if I end up at UVA. I had to pay a non-refundable fee but it was worth it to me to not have to scramble for a place. Especially because I have a pet.


Thanks! I'll look into it. You're right, the non-refundable fee is probably worth it if I'm pretty sure I'll be attending.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby digifly » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 pm

1. How bad would it be to miss the excepted students weekend? A conference that I have to attend has been scheduled for the same days. :/

2. Where can I find the FB group?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:03 pm

digifly wrote:1. How bad would it be to miss the excepted students weekend? A conference that I have to attend has been scheduled for the same days. :/

2. Where can I find the FB group?

You'll get to miss partying with me, so pretty bad.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby danitt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:54 pm

shntn wrote:
digifly wrote:1. How bad would it be to miss the excepted students weekend? A conference that I have to attend has been scheduled for the same days. :/

2. Where can I find the FB group?

You'll get to miss partying with me, so pretty bad.

On your way back you can stop in DC and we'll get a drink.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Postby shntn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm

danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:
digifly wrote:1. How bad would it be to miss the excepted students weekend? A conference that I have to attend has been scheduled for the same days. :/

2. Where can I find the FB group?

You'll get to miss partying with me, so pretty bad.

On your way back you can stop in DC and we'll get a drink.

Or come to Cville and we'll get a drink.

I actually have a train to DC then bus to Cville on the way down. The only direct train would get me there too late for the picnic. But on the way back, train straight to Philly.




Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest