UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Just

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Just » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Is there anyone got a number in the sixties?
edit: if anyone is interested in looking for a rommate at Jeffersonian or Graduate Center, please pm me. (I'm a female international student.)

UVALaw24

New

Post by UVALaw24 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Applied 5 seconds after the ball dropped and got waitlist #15. I assume that's in the pretty safe territory given what I've been hearing. Anyone know when we'll start hearing back?

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Got the confirmation e-mail a little before noon.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:13 am

Just letting everyone know 1 data point. Last year I was 32 and I didn't get a spot.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

UVALaw24 wrote:Applied 5 seconds after the ball dropped and got waitlist #15. I assume that's in the pretty safe territory given what I've been hearing. Anyone know when we'll start hearing back?

Fingers crossed.

Edit: Got the confirmation e-mail a little before noon.

web site says mid- march

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:05 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Just letting everyone know 1 data point. Last year I was 32 and I didn't get a spot.
Sad, but helpful. Won't be getting my hopes up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

How does the roomate thing work? Can someone got a two-bedroom apt pick someone who didn't get the apt?

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 pm

How many of you applied for one bedroom?

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Just wrote:How does the roomate thing work? Can someone got a two-bedroom apt pick someone who didn't get the apt?

I doubt it.

It says if you have a roommate in mind they have to fill out a separate form.

I did ask if you didn't have a specific person if they matched you with other people who didn't and she said yes but I don't know how the process works.

mvredd

New

Post by mvredd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 am

So, so, so excited to be posting here. I'm still waiting on a gob of apps to come back, but honestly, they're more for the sake of negotiating some scholarship money from UVA than anything.

Hate that I discovered the Jeffersonian literally a day after the new year. Oh well though. I, too, am thinking about looking outside of C'ville. If you're willing to drive 15-20 minutes, you can save an absolute buttload in rent. However, I've heard that parking isn't really the greatest for 1L's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:10 am

mvredd wrote:However, I've heard that parking isn't really the greatest for 1L's.
1L here who has never not got a parking spot.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 am

Tom Joad wrote:
mvredd wrote:However, I've heard that parking isn't really the greatest for 1L's.
+1 and I have the cheap "blue" permit

mvredd

New

Post by mvredd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 am

Tom Joad wrote:

Totally good to know. My soon-to-be-husband and I also only have one car. He's entering into the big boy work world, so I suppose he might need it anyway. I guess within walking/busing distance it is.

Now, the real problem, convincing my VT graduate to accept life as the mate of a Wahoo... :D

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:38 am

kingjones59 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on non-ivy/Jeffersonian living? I will be living with my gf who is a teacher and we are looking for somewhere a little further away than those, but still close enough so I'm not completely alienated .
yes. depends on your threshold of feeling alienated, but there are several options and many of them will still be options in a few months. don't let the jeffersonian timing rush your decision.

some thoughts, then a resource:
want to be close to ivy? -- you might strike gold in the lewis mountain road area as some of those houses are converted into apartment type arrangements, but i would definitely recommend checking each option in person before making any commitment.

want to be close to bar reviews etc.? -- live in or near the corner district. getting to ivy for pregames is no problem if you have a car; even if you don't, cabbing there and walking home is cheaper than cabbing to and from the ivy each night. in my opinion, this is the ideal play for 1L. i'd stay away from the core corner area (see below) but something in midtown (read: between the corner and downtown) or off preston avenue could be perfect.

content to spend a little more on cab fare (or, you know, DD) in exchange for some other consideration? -- here you've got a ton of flexibility... a few developments up 29 will give you more space for your buck; some options on pantops or 5th street extended will give you amenities if you're willing to pay for them; downtown/belmont can be a fun place to live if you want to feel like you're in cville (but not the cville of north grounds).

-------
starting point for charlottesville rentals:
http://www.brac.com/ (aggregates listings from several sources)

"locations" drop-down descriptions/warnings (this might help give context):

Rugby Road/The Corner -- the core is 14th street to rugby road and university avenue to grady avenue. listings under this drop-down outside that core (except any address on wertland) will be slightly less convenient to the corner district by foot but also slightly sparser in undergrad population and therefore a little better noise environment. these offerings will be picked over right now because undergrads snap them up in october, BUT the ones that are still around now will most likely last at least beyond med school admitted students weekend so take your time and do your research. some of these are close enough to bus routes that you could maybe even swing this with no/limited car access, though you'd want to make sure the bus route info you have is up to date as the damn things change pretty often with construction

Jefferson Park Avenue -- the core is the area bound by stadium road to the north, maury avenue to the west, and the railroad track to the south; for some reason, BRAC seems to include everything near main grounds, so if you're looking for the lewis mountain road side of grounds, click here too. the core is going to be infested with undergrads but it's not nearly the noise environment that the corner is, with the exception of home football games. other non-core neighborhoods in this area tend to be quieter and family/grad student oriented, like lewis mountain or anything west of maury ave.

JPA Ext./Old Lynchburg/5th Ext. -- this is a catch-all for offerings south of 64. fair number of law students out here. i'm not as familiar with the area but these places often offer shuttle services to grounds. if you're going to rely on it, make sure you pick one that will drop you off at the law school or darden, because being dropped off at the chapel would not be terribly helpful. of these places, i've heard the most good things about the woodlands and the most bad things about eagle's landing (just in terms of build quality type things).

North Grounds -- ivy, arlington road, u-heights, barracks road options. close to the law school and barracks road but not much else. definitely the area to be in if you're not driving to class. i'd avoid it otherwise because whatever your priorities/price range combo is, you can almost definitely do better elsewhere (except the jeffersonian, which is cheap and a prime location--for us, at least).

29 North -- this is a catch-all for anything on 29N past the 250 bypass. in general, you'll have more space for your dollar. you'll basically have to drive to class. do not pick one of these without seeing your apartment, as some of them are terrible options but look perfectly fine on the internet. i assume the ones near the new movie theater on hydraulic and 29 will be pretty similar to the offering at the new north pavilion. i don't know of many law students pursuing this option but i imagine it could make sense depending on a significant other's teaching location and if you were able to really check out all the options in person.

Downtown -- core is from about ridge to about 9th between the railroad on the south and east high street on the north. outside this and you're probably not going to feel like you're downtown at all. i haven't lived here and only know a few that do, but theoretically it makes some sense as downtown cville is kind of like a slightly grown-up and weirder corner district. they're separated by only about a 20 minute gap by foot from the omni hotel to the mellow mushroom if you're booking it, so that makes some sense. i'd recommend spending some time exploring the downtown mall before deciding you want to live near it since you're paying for proximity to it, so try to take some time and do that on a visit. you won't find undergrads here, but some of the loft apartments, like norcross station, are going to give you terrible noise suppression anyway.

Belmont -- hard to define because it's got some sprawl to it, but basically think to the east of the downtown mall, south of high street, north of 64. hard to generalize because of the sprawl but it's the kind of place people who graduate from uva undergrad and work in cville afterwards typically end up living alongside young families, at least in pockets of belmont closest to the downtown mall. hard to find listings here as fewer of them are through the main brac folks but i would remember the name of the general area for 2-3L for sure.

every other location i don't really know much about.

as far as reputations of companies are concerned, i've been fine with woodard and msc. heard terrible things about real property inc on undergrad listservs, so there's that.

congratulations to everyone by the way. you'll be happy here

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvredd

New

Post by mvredd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anybody have any opinion on the Copeley housing on-grounds? The apartments look older for sure. How does the pricing compare to living off-grounds?

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 am

sprezz wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:Anyone have any suggestions on non-ivy/Jeffersonian living? I will be living with my gf who is a teacher and we are looking for somewhere a little further away than those, but still close enough so I'm not completely alienated .
yes. depends on your threshold of feeling alienated, but there are several options and many of them will still be options in a few months. don't let the jeffersonian timing rush your decision.

some thoughts, then a resource:
want to be close to ivy? -- you might strike gold in the lewis mountain road area as some of those houses are converted into apartment type arrangements, but i would definitely recommend checking each option in person before making any commitment.

want to be close to bar reviews etc.? -- live in or near the corner district. getting to ivy for pregames is no problem if you have a car; even if you don't, cabbing there and walking home is cheaper than cabbing to and from the ivy each night. in my opinion, this is the ideal play for 1L. i'd stay away from the core corner area (see below) but something in midtown (read: between the corner and downtown) or off preston avenue could be perfect.

content to spend a little more on cab fare (or, you know, DD) in exchange for some other consideration? -- here you've got a ton of flexibility... a few developments up 29 will give you more space for your buck; some options on pantops or 5th street extended will give you amenities if you're willing to pay for them; downtown/belmont can be a fun place to live if you want to feel like you're in cville (but not the cville of north grounds).

-------
starting point for charlottesville rentals:
http://www.brac.com/ (aggregates listings from several sources)

"locations" drop-down descriptions/warnings (this might help give context):

Rugby Road/The Corner -- the core is 14th street to rugby road and university avenue to grady avenue. listings under this drop-down outside that core (except any address on wertland) will be slightly less convenient to the corner district by foot but also slightly sparser in undergrad population and therefore a little better noise environment. these offerings will be picked over right now because undergrads snap them up in october, BUT the ones that are still around now will most likely last at least beyond med school admitted students weekend so take your time and do your research. some of these are close enough to bus routes that you could maybe even swing this with no/limited car access, though you'd want to make sure the bus route info you have is up to date as the damn things change pretty often with construction

Jefferson Park Avenue -- the core is the area bound by stadium road to the north, maury avenue to the west, and the railroad track to the south; for some reason, BRAC seems to include everything near main grounds, so if you're looking for the lewis mountain road side of grounds, click here too. the core is going to be infested with undergrads but it's not nearly the noise environment that the corner is, with the exception of home football games. other non-core neighborhoods in this area tend to be quieter and family/grad student oriented, like lewis mountain or anything west of maury ave.

JPA Ext./Old Lynchburg/5th Ext. -- this is a catch-all for offerings south of 64. fair number of law students out here. i'm not as familiar with the area but these places often offer shuttle services to grounds. if you're going to rely on it, make sure you pick one that will drop you off at the law school or darden, because being dropped off at the chapel would not be terribly helpful. of these places, i've heard the most good things about the woodlands and the most bad things about eagle's landing (just in terms of build quality type things).

North Grounds -- ivy, arlington road, u-heights, barracks road options. close to the law school and barracks road but not much else. definitely the area to be in if you're not driving to class. i'd avoid it otherwise because whatever your priorities/price range combo is, you can almost definitely do better elsewhere (except the jeffersonian, which is cheap and a prime location--for us, at least).

29 North -- this is a catch-all for anything on 29N past the 250 bypass. in general, you'll have more space for your dollar. you'll basically have to drive to class. do not pick one of these without seeing your apartment, as some of them are terrible options but look perfectly fine on the internet. i assume the ones near the new movie theater on hydraulic and 29 will be pretty similar to the offering at the new north pavilion. i don't know of many law students pursuing this option but i imagine it could make sense depending on a significant other's teaching location and if you were able to really check out all the options in person.

Downtown -- core is from about ridge to about 9th between the railroad on the south and east high street on the north. outside this and you're probably not going to feel like you're downtown at all. i haven't lived here and only know a few that do, but theoretically it makes some sense as downtown cville is kind of like a slightly grown-up and weirder corner district. they're separated by only about a 20 minute gap by foot from the omni hotel to the mellow mushroom if you're booking it, so that makes some sense. i'd recommend spending some time exploring the downtown mall before deciding you want to live near it since you're paying for proximity to it, so try to take some time and do that on a visit. you won't find undergrads here, but some of the loft apartments, like norcross station, are going to give you terrible noise suppression anyway.

Belmont -- hard to define because it's got some sprawl to it, but basically think to the east of the downtown mall, south of high street, north of 64. hard to generalize because of the sprawl but it's the kind of place people who graduate from uva undergrad and work in cville afterwards typically end up living alongside young families, at least in pockets of belmont closest to the downtown mall. hard to find listings here as fewer of them are through the main brac folks but i would remember the name of the general area for 2-3L for sure.

every other location i don't really know much about.

as far as reputations of companies are concerned, i've been fine with woodard and msc. heard terrible things about real property inc on undergrad listservs, so there's that.

congratulations to everyone by the way. you'll be happy here

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

hamy

New

Post by hamy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

anyone know when the official fb group gets cobbled together by the admins?

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 am

glad to be here!

i tried filling out the application for copeley hill family housing but saw i needed at least 2 ID numbers to complete the app. i asked cordel about it over the phone and he said they should be getting those out soon.. anyone know if i'm basically screwed regarding placement for on-grounds housing?

also, shadowofjazz, i think i take the cake now for lowest gpa ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm

defdef wrote:glad to be here!

i tried filling out the application for copeley hill family housing but saw i needed at least 2 ID numbers to complete the app. i asked cordel about it over the phone and he said they should be getting those out soon.. anyone know if i'm basically screwed regarding placement for on-grounds housing?

URM?

mvredd

New

Post by mvredd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Seems as though most people opt to live off-grounds in the apartment complexes around the law school. At least, I haven't heard many people talk about wanting to live on-grounds. Hopefully, competition isn't too bad. I guess i will really depend on the make-up of the class. If lots of the accepted students are married and/or have kids, they will qualify, and might try for them. If not, it shouldn't be too bad.

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

URM?
hispanic non-urm, not sure if it mattered
mvredd wrote: Seems as though most people opt to live off-grounds in the apartment complexes around the law school. At least, I haven't heard many people talk about wanting to live on-grounds. Hopefully, competition isn't too bad. I guess i will really depend on the make-up of the class. If lots of the accepted students are married and/or have kids, they will qualify, and might try for them. If not, it shouldn't be too bad.
well i got the wife/kid part so hopefully there'll be space at copeley hill.

noobishned

New

Post by noobishned » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 am

hamy wrote:anyone know when the official fb group gets cobbled together by the admins?
I don't know when the official group will be created, but there is an unofficial group called "UVA Law 2016."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 pm

checking in guys, not 100% sure on UVA but i got a full ride today so im thinking its highly likely. very excited for cville

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

az21833 wrote:checking in guys, not 100% sure on UVA but i got a full ride today so im thinking its highly likely. very excited for cville
Thats awesome, best of luck with the rest of your cycle.

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:07 am

I lost my UVA scholarship offer letter :(
Do you think they will send me another one if I ask for it?

Wahoos

New

Post by Wahoos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:13 am

jychun412 wrote:I lost my UVA scholarship offer letter :(
Do you think they will send me another one if I ask for it?
Just email anyone in admissions or financial aid office and they will send you an email with an attached copy of it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”