UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Yardbird

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Yardbird » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Speaking of financial aid, do you guys know about how much CoL we get to finance? Does it vary per person? I have a car payment and a few other bills, and I'm trying to figure out how much I'll have left for rent.
UVA Law Financial Aid Website wrote: However, it is important for students to understand that their financial aid packages generally cannot exceed the total cost of attendance budget in any given year.
UVA Law Financial Aid Website wrote:J.D. Program, 2012-13 School Year
Living Expenses:
Fine. If no one else will Google it for me, I will just Google it myself.

Seriously though, is that for the calendar year? I'm gonna need a roommate or three.
It's probably for 9 months if anything.
5ky wrote:I can't say I've ever heard of a person who maxed out on loans and was desperately searching around for money. Charlottesville is mad cheap. I come in way under the projected COL every year.

For my first year, I took out maybe 10k total for living expenses and was fine. I didn't have car payments or anything, though.
I'm a 0L, but Jeffersonian at 750/mo will come out to 9000, plus a food budget of 100 or so puts you at 10,200 for the year. If you did 9 months, that'd come out to 7650 (way below 16000). I'm assuming you can use the extra COL loan money for car payments/insurance if you wanted (or maybe a nice suit?)

(Note: doesn't include utilities or cable/internet...Ivy Gardens would be about 100 more a month for rent)

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

You can use the money for whatever you want. But assuming you don't get a paying job for your 1L summer, you would need to extend the money over the year.

I'm assuming that $750 is for a 1 bedroom. Unless you have a family or whatever, I'd go ahead and recommend people just get a roommate. Saves you a bunch of money and you'll know another 1L who probably isn't in your section.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Speaking of financial aid, do you guys know about how much CoL we get to finance? Does it vary per person? I have a car payment and a few other bills, and I'm trying to figure out how much I'll have left for rent.
UVA Law Financial Aid Website wrote: However, it is important for students to understand that their financial aid packages generally cannot exceed the total cost of attendance budget in any given year.
UVA Law Financial Aid Website wrote:J.D. Program, 2012-13 School Year
Living Expenses:
Fine. If no one else will Google it for me, I will just Google it myself.

Seriously though, is that for the calendar year? I'm gonna need a roommate or three.
It's probably for 9 months if anything.
5ky wrote:I can't say I've ever heard of a person who maxed out on loans and was desperately searching around for money. Charlottesville is mad cheap. I come in way under the projected COL every year.

For my first year, I took out maybe 10k total for living expenses and was fine. I didn't have car payments or anything, though.
I'm a 0L, but Jeffersonian at 750/mo will come out to 9000, plus a food budget of 100 or so puts you at 10,200 for the year. If you did 9 months, that'd come out to 7650 (way below 16000). I'm assuming you can use the extra COL loan money for car payments/insurance if you wanted (or maybe a nice suit?)

(Note: doesn't include utilities or cable/internet...Ivy Gardens would be about 100 more a month for rent)
So for someone like me who can only intern during the summers unless I want to use out of my OPT time, should I take the full amount because I may not be able to earn money during my time at whatever summer jobs I can get?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 pm

It's something to consider when taking out your loans, but it's just a decision you'll have to make based on your rent, any assets you might have, and how much you budget for various things.

I tried to limit as much as I could because the interest on the loans runs while you're in school, which is no bueno

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 pm

To put this in perspective, NYU's estimated cost of living is $21,720.

By my rough calculations based on cost of living indices, $21,720 is roughly equal to $10,300 in Charlottesville. So you're getting far more real money than a place like NYU. You should have no problem making ends meet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

I've done some more math, and I think I'll be fine. I'll have to get a roommate, but I'll get to keep my car and my iPhone 8)

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am

For those that have their housing situation figured out ... anyone else moving in before August? The only option they gave me was a June lease start date, so it looks like I'll be there over the summer. Anyone else?

I'm getting reeeaaaall excited :shock:
Last edited by Hspeaksfriend on Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrHairyLegs

New

Post by MrHairyLegs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 am

Signed my 2bd Ivy Garden lease a while back and my lease starts in July. The entire process was very straightforward and the office was a great help and very friendly (I can answer some ?'s if ya'll got 'em). I lucked out and got one of the closer apts nearer the school and a solid roommate. Just glad its all out of the way and I can focus on enjoying the shat out these next couple of months. Super juiced! Can't wait to meet you all!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Hspeaksfriend wrote:For those that have their housing situation figured out (particularly those at Jeffersonian)... anyone else moving in before August? The only option they gave me was a June lease start date, so it looks like I'll be there over the summer. Anyone else?

I'm getting reeeaaaall excited :shock:
Jeffersonian lease papers are coming in the mail, but I should be moving in on June 1. Whether I'll actually be there for June/July is up in the air - I might have a pretty killer [paid] consulting internship for the summer up here in Boston (which will suck since I'll be paying double rent for the summer).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Good job guys, I'm officially nervous about housing again! :D

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm

digifly wrote:Good job guys, I'm officially nervous about housing again! :D
We do what we can.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm

digifly wrote:Good job guys, I'm officially nervous about housing again! :D
Yep

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Anyone staying at the Inn at Darden for ASW?

EDIT: Who am I kidding, you're probably all staying in your new homes! :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 am

digifly wrote:Anyone staying at the Inn at Darden for ASW?

EDIT: Who am I kidding, you're probably all staying in your new homes! :P
No but you bring up a nice point. Anyone staying at the Fairfield Inn? I'll be there Thurs/Fri night (getting in/out via Amtrak)

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

Oh so left out...I'll be missing the ASW but will be visiting this weekend. I'm excited. :mrgreen:

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 am

Eichörnchen wrote:Oh so left out...I'll be missing the ASW but will be visiting this weekend. I'm excited. :mrgreen:
Just so you know about 1/2 of the 1L class will be doing journal tryouts this weekend. So dont think that seeing so many stressed out students is normal, Journal tryout weekend, from what I hear, is miserable

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Oh so left out...I'll be missing the ASW but will be visiting this weekend. I'm excited. :mrgreen:
Just so you know about 1/2 of the 1L class will be doing journal tryouts this weekend. So dont think that seeing so many stressed out students is normal, Journal tryout weekend, from what I hear, is miserable
Haha thank you for the heads up. Thats good to know! At least I'll be able to see the darker side of what I'm getting myself into. ;) Next time I should come during finals and really give myself a scare.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hamy

New

Post by hamy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

How screwed am I for housing if I have yet to seriously consider roommate/location options? I was thinking that Feb was still on the early side, but now it's already March and nothing is done. Also.. is it also terrible that I haven't finished the FAFSA/Need Access yet? I wanted to wait for my parent's tax return (Their 2012 should be fairly different than 2011) but I guess I should just try to get it done tonight.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 pm

hamy wrote:How screwed am I for housing if I have yet to seriously consider roommate/location options? I was thinking that Feb was still on the early side, but now it's already March and nothing is done. Also.. is it also terrible that I haven't finished the FAFSA/Need Access yet? I wanted to wait for my parent's tax return (Their 2012 should be fairly different than 2011) but I guess I should just try to get it done tonight.
You're fine. Just do Ivy Gardens bro

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm

hamy wrote:How screwed am I for housing if I have yet to seriously consider roommate/location options? I was thinking that Feb was still on the early side, but now it's already March and nothing is done. Also.. is it also terrible that I haven't finished the FAFSA/Need Access yet? I wanted to wait for my parent's tax return (Their 2012 should be fairly different than 2011) but I guess I should just try to get it done tonight.
I would get that financial aid info ASAP. Just mark "will file" on all the forms and go from there.

uvauvauva

New

Post by uvauvauva » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 pm

If anyone anyone is looking for a place to live in Cville for the next academic year. Please let me know! I have 2 Bedroom apt. that will be available. The landlord is awesome and heat, trash, and water is included in a low rent of $825.00.

The apt. is 3 mins driving to the law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Just

Bronze

Post by Just » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Dean Richard's email says the amount of scholarship could be modified in April. Will they make it less?

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Just wrote:Dean Richard's email says the amount of scholarship could be modified in April. Will they make it less?
No, if they made you a merit scholarship offer I'm sure they're not going to lower it.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:
Just wrote:Dean Richard's email says the amount of scholarship could be modified in April. Will they make it less?
No, if they made you a merit scholarship offer I'm sure they're not going to lower it.
Isn't the deposit deadline for RD admits like April 5? I bet they expect a lot of tied up scholly money to come back and then they'll redistribute it to others. I only think offers will go up (and probably it'll be people without offers getting them, as opposed to "hey you deposited when we offered you X, but here's even more just 'cause")

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

trojandave wrote:
WahooLaw24 wrote:
Isn't the deposit deadline for RD admits like April 5? I bet they expect a lot of tied up scholly money to come back and then they'll redistribute it to others. I only think offers will go up (and probably it'll be people without offers getting them, as opposed to "hey you deposited when we offered you X, but here's even more just 'cause")
After the deposit deadline passes they'll have extra money freed up, though I don't think it will necessarily go to people who haven't yet received offers. Rather, they'll likely attempt to make larger offers to people who have been negotiating and who have larger offers at peer schools, or perhaps equals offers at schools like CCN.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”