UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Br3v

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Br3v » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:14 am

shadowofjazz wrote:So after the first "week" of classes, what do you all think?
I kind of just wish I knew what I was doing. I feel like a lot of my "studying" is actually futile.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am

If you know Pennoyer v. Neff, you are golden in every class.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:55 am

Br3v wrote:
I kind of just wish I knew what I was doing. I feel like a lot of my "studying" is actually futile.
the only thing you need to do now is try to make sure you have good notes from class. anything else this early on will be forgotten by december.

honestly the most helpful thing for me was to have good notes on the cases, so i didn't ever have to open the book to refresh my memory on them when outlining. but there's no one right way to law school, different things work for different people.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:27 am

5ky wrote:
Br3v wrote:
the only thing you need to do now is try to make sure you have good notes from class. anything else this early on will be forgotten by december.

honestly the most helpful thing for me was to have good notes on the cases, so i didn't ever have to open the book to refresh my memory on them when outlining. but there's no one right way to law school, different things work for different people.
I've been cleaning up my notes, and when I transcribe them the only thing I put in the notes about cases is normally the issue, how the court ruled on the issue and why. That a good idea?

I know it's neurotic and freaking out and shit, but it's kind of hard not to.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 am

5ky wrote:when outlining.
So, this undoubtedly a dumb question, but how do you outline a law school class? Is there a guide somewhere on TLS that explains how to put one together and what's important to have in it? As far as I can tell, it's like a big legal rule tree for all the issues we're going to cover. No?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:35 am

North wrote:
So, this undoubtedly a dumb question, but how do you outline a law school class? Is there a guide somewhere on TLS that explains how to put one together and what's important to have in it? As far as I can tell, it's like a big legal rule tree for all the issues we're going to cover. No?
I keep wanting to ask this but I feel like it's one of those things everyone knows about and I'm just a dumb. :?

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:51 am

danitt wrote:
North wrote:
I keep wanting to ask this but I feel like it's one of those things everyone knows about and I'm just a dumb. :?
Right there with you. The last thing I "outlined" was a research paper in high school. 90% sure that's not what we're talking about here.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:15 pm

North wrote:
danitt wrote:
North wrote:
Right there with you. The last thing I "outlined" was a research paper in high school. 90% sure that's not what we're talking about here.
It'll be covered and explained later in the semester

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 pm

danitt wrote:
North wrote:
You don't need to worry about outlining till October at the earliest. Right now, just make sure you're doing all the reading.

The outlining process itself varies by person too - there's no "right way" to do it. As trite as this sounds, it's all about doing what works for you.

But again, don't even think about outlining right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:12 pm

An outline is just this: A set of papers that will help you do better on the exam (both through the preparing the outline and the day-of usage of it during the exam). Typically, an outline covers the main rules/issues/cases that you learned in that class. Some people have 10 page outlines, others use 50. Some are your typical Roman Numerals outlines, others are flow-charts and diagrams.

A lot of the time, your outline is really rarely used during the 3-hour exam because the test is such a sprint and you've memorized the outline in your head anyways.

You can start outlining now, but there's so little material that there's not much to outline at this point. But I don't think it can hurt to start thinking/drafting what your outline will be like.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:34 pm

You can go to the SBA website and get lots of examples of outlines: http://www.virginiasba.com/Eservices_ol.aspx
Last edited by 5ky on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Clearly others as well but wanted to thank 5ky or helping with some of these questions.

Helps with stress.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Anyone get loan $ yet? Tomorrow is day 7

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Br3v wrote:Anyone get loan $ yet? Tomorrow is day 7
I think tomorrow is the day because the refund showed up on either Thursday or Friday in SIS. Unless you didn't do direct deposit, in which case sucks for you. At least another week.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:36 pm

danitt wrote:
Br3v wrote:Anyone get loan $ yet? Tomorrow is day 7
I think tomorrow is the day because the refund showed up on either Thursday or Friday in SIS. Unless you didn't do direct deposit, in which case sucks for you. At least another week.
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. I had to spend my last dough on bread, PB and J this weekend to have something to eat.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 am

I need money.

novauva

New

Post by novauva » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:21 am

just got an email saying "Approximately four business days after Aug 26, 2013" my money will be deposited... Do I really have to wait until the 30th? Ive got bills to pay and im out of food

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:44 am

novauva wrote:just got an email saying "Approximately four business days after Aug 26, 2013" my money will be deposited... Do I really have to wait until the 30th? Ive got bills to pay and im out of food
I'm in the same boat. I am super pissed.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
novauva wrote:just got an email saying "Approximately four business days after Aug 26, 2013" my money will be deposited... Do I really have to wait until the 30th? Ive got bills to pay and im out of food
I'm in the same boat. I am super pissed.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 am

Loans are out. Go eat, gentlemen.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 am

Yup. Woke up to some fat stacks from Uncle Sam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 am

digifly wrote:Loans are out. Go eat, gentlemen.
I got mine too! Fun stuff! Ironically we're all poorer now as our bank accounts go up.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 am

This is a really dumb question but it demands an immediate answer, and SIS is not giving it to me: do we get disbursed living expenses 2x per semester or is this it?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 am

shibby wrote:This is a really dumb question but it demands an immediate answer, and SIS is not giving it to me: do we get disbursed living expenses 2x per semester or is this it?
I guess it would depend on how you accepted your financial aid, but the most likely answer is you get paid each semester.

shibby

Bronze

Post by shibby » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 am

Tom Joad wrote:
shibby wrote:This is a really dumb question but it demands an immediate answer, and SIS is not giving it to me: do we get disbursed living expenses 2x per semester or is this it?
I guess it would depend on how you accepted your financial aid, but the most likely answer is you get paid each semester.
Tom Joad wrote:
I think that's right. According to fin aid: "The Direct Loan is normally payable in two disbursements, one-half of the total in each semester."

Can someone else please confirm?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”