UVA Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2016)
Rhoover894

New

Re: UVA Class of 2016

Post by Rhoover894 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm

North wrote:
On a related note, I hate UVA's website. I thought BlackBoard was bad, but this site makes me miss it.
Agreed.

I guess only FAFSA and Need Access were mentioned in that financial aid email, so maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves with this other stuff.

2012Split177

New

Post by 2012Split177 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

http://www.livewithmsc.com/details.cfm?config=1194

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

Okay price but not super-cheap.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 pm

So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

When should I start looking into housing? Right now?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:50 pm

digifly wrote:So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

Yeah start now, but don't forget TLS is a self selected population where everyone likes to plan ahead and such. Your still ahead of the game if you start now. I don't think many kids, if any, have leases signed outside of jeffersonian or UVA UG kids.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Br3v wrote:
digifly wrote:So I've been buried in work and lately and I'm a little worried because you guys are all looking at housing already haha.

Yeah start now, but don't forget TLS is a self selected population where everyone likes to plan ahead and such. Your still ahead of the game if you start now. I don't think many kids, if any, have leases signed outside of jeffersonian or UVA UG kids.
when are you guys signing leases for? AUG-AUG? what if your out of cville 1l summer, which i imagine most will be

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm

az21833 wrote:
Br3v wrote:

when are you guys signing leases for? AUG-AUG? what if your out of cville 1l summer, which i imagine most will be
You pay for double rent if you can't sublease, 1Ls accords the country have the same potential problem if they land 1L SAs

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Gisney wrote:Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?
Have not heard of people getting $$ after being accepted unless it is leveraged by money from peer schools. Dont worry people with any kind of substantial scholly are definitely in the minority here.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

I've been living in apartment buildings for a few years now and would prefer a house or townhouse - this seems like a decent medium - wonder if anyone knows about these apartments, if law students live there, etc.

i'm pretty familiar with that area and i've spent some time in that complex in particular, though not a ton. the area is a mix between undergrads and grad students; i don't know of any law students in that particular complex but that means almost nothing. it's <5 minutes walk from some pockets of law students. you should be mostly isolated from the real noise factory fraternities but you will get some noise from the ones hidden behind grady avenue. my guess is you won't get a ton of that inside your apartment unless you have windows open or something but i can't say for sure. the patios in the back are a nice touch on some of those units, not sure if they all have those though. the artist's rendering on that website is an accurate depiction of the floor plan i've been in in there, but i know the floor plans aren't uniform. in general with charlottesville rent i'd ask naggingly specific questions about anything i cared about e.g. included washer/dryer, etc. a lot of the general complaints about build quality/noise suppression in apartment complexes stem from upstairs neighbors (eagle's landing, university heights etc. etc.) so obviously having nobody above you is a plus. at this price, these apartments are a pretty good value if you can bike or drive to school -- driving should be really quick actually, easily less than 10 minutes unless rush hour. bonus points for being able to walk to the corner in <15mins and for being one of the rare areas where you're not really paying the standard premium for that.

msc's got a good reputation. so does woodard. rpi has a TERRIBLE one.

looks like i mostly just rambled, if you have more specific questions feel free to hit me up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Gisney wrote:Does anyone know if those lonely individuals that did not get a scholly when initially accepted could still get some later? If so, when should we hear?
Have not heard of people getting $$ after being accepted unless it is leveraged by money from peer schools. Dont worry people with any kind of substantial scholly are definitely in the minority here.
You mean have never heard or no one has heard this cycle?

I am asking because I know some schools have given no initial merit aid but then add some later. Just curious if UVA was one

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 am

I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

Can anyone familiar with the area point me towards some houses?

anon sequitur

Silver

Post by anon sequitur » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:23 am

Br3v wrote:I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

If you want a little house in the surrounding area, you're not going to find many that are catering to the academic cycle. There are some big houses where 3-5 law students live and they usually try to find groups to live in them the following year to keep them in the law school community, but nothing similar that I've seen for individual houses. I saw plenty of places like you're for rent last June and even July on craigslist, you're probably gonna have to wait until then. If you can come by the law school sometimes you'll see postings for individual houses on bulletin boards, but that's hit or miss. Only other option I can see is finding a 3L who is giving up their house, but I don't know how you'd do that.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just wait until the summer, scour craigslist, and don't worry if you can't sign a lease until July. You can always get a place in Ivy as a fall-back as late as August, someone will do a last minute deferral or get off the waitlist at HYS.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
Br3v wrote:I really want a nice small little house near campus (within 15 minute drive ish) but so far all of the ones I have found have turned out to be scams on craiglist, or the owner says something along the lines of "oh...you want it start of fall? Well its available now" and then proceeds to not give me the time of day.

If you want a little house in the surrounding area, you're not going to find many that are catering to the academic cycle. There are some big houses where 3-5 law students live and they usually try to find groups to live in them the following year to keep them in the law school community, but nothing similar that I've seen for individual houses. I saw plenty of places like you're for rent last June and even July on craigslist, you're probably gonna have to wait until then. If you can come by the law school sometimes you'll see postings for individual houses on bulletin boards, but that's hit or miss. Only other option I can see is finding a 3L who is giving up their house, but I don't know how you'd do that.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd just wait until the summer, scour craigslist, and don't worry if you can't sign a lease until July. You can always get a place in Ivy as a fall-back as late as August, someone will do a last minute deferral or get off the waitlist at HYS.
Didnt want to wait till summer, but good to know that at least someone doesn't think that's a crazy back up plan. Thanks for the info.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

voytek

Bronze

Post by voytek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm

2012Split177 wrote:I've heard good things about this rental company called MSC - specifically these apartments:

I had friends who lived there when I was in undergrad. I agree with sprezz that they're pretty nice; I'd say that noise from surrounding buildings should not be a problem in them. Only problem I could foresee is that you may be a little bit far from the corner (where restaurants/bars are) if you don't have a bike/car. It's probably a ten-minute walk down 14th street to get there. To the law school, it's probably a 15 minute walk.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 pm

voytek wrote:

I had friends who lived there when I was in undergrad. I agree with sprezz that they're pretty nice; I'd say that noise from surrounding buildings should not be a problem in them. Only problem I could foresee is that you may be a little bit far from the corner (where restaurants/bars are) if you don't have a bike/car. It's probably a ten-minute walk down 14th street to get there. To the law school, it's probably a 15 minute walk.
if you're a really fast walker, 25 minutes to the law school is a closer estimate; realistically, 35 minutes. i've made this walk and even with it'scoldandi'mdrunkspeed (tm) it took me a full 30 door to door.

tldr catch the bus to the law school if driving or biking aren't an option

ncc5

New

Post by ncc5 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm an undergrad at UVA now and looking at these apartments for law school. There is a bus stop probably a one minute walk from here that is very convenient, and there is a lot of street parking right next to it (rare in Cville) so you and your potential roommates won't have to fight it out as to who gets to park there. That being said, you only get like 1 spot and 1 guest spot with the apartment. Overall the price is amazingly cheap, all things considered. The area is rented out specifically to either professionals or graduate students. My friend who lives there now is a nurse.

MrHairyLegs

New

Post by MrHairyLegs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I like entertaining the idea of being able to live in a house/large apartment with roommates my first year, and it might work out to be pretty cheap. Is this common? I don't want to live alone....that's just awkward.

Also, if anyone is looking for a roommate(s), I nominate myself! I don't disappoint :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm into rooming as well. Cheaper. More fun. Sounds good to me!

I'm curious to know if people plan on working while in law school. It seems to me like that would be tough as hell (if not impossible). I'm wondering how I'm going to pay for rent, though? I suppose that's where these loans come in.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 am

Yeah, I'm going to have to fish for a roommate too if I land this apartment tomorrow...

Hspeaksfriend

New

Post by Hspeaksfriend » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:16 am

Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

Thoughts? :shock:

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:17 am

Hspeaksfriend wrote:Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

It's just cheaper. I'd prefer to live alone, but loans.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am

North wrote:
Hspeaksfriend wrote:Is everyone getting roommates? I was planning on living alone... Not to be antisocial but just because I've lived with roommates for the past four years... And I have a big dog so I just thought it'd be easier.

It's just cheaper. I'd prefer to live alone, but loans.

Anyone mind an English Bulldog puppy??

PatrickChewing15

New

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.

MrHairyLegs

New

Post by MrHairyLegs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:43 pm

PatrickChewing15 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.

Yo PatrickChewing, I'm also looking for a roommate. PM if you're still interested

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm

MrHairyLegs wrote:
PatrickChewing15 wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate or roommates I definitely don't want to live by myself and I'm open to anything.

Yo PatrickChewing, I'm also looking for a roommate. PM if you're still interested
PM me as well if you need a third.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2016 Forum”