Cardozo Fall 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
DC818

New

Cardozo Fall 2012

Post by DC818 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Anyone attending Cardozo starting in the fall program? I'm looking into the housing situation, and would be interested in finding apartment-mates

Zionman

New

Re: Cardozo Fall 2012

Post by Zionman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Me!!! We're gonna beat Fordham by the time I graduate. Move over, benedict!!! lol

hob12

Bronze

Post by hob12 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:33 am

This thread needs to come alive. Anyone know when we get our class schedules. If I have class in an 8:00 slot, I need to practice waking up early over the summer.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Someone figured this out last year to get schedules early:
" So here is what you want to do. Go to current students, click banner, click faculty students staff, get your id number by clicking on the forgot your id click here link, copy your id into the user login and click reset id, go to registration, click on student and financial aid,click registration, then click on student schedule."

DrakeTempt

New

Post by DrakeTempt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm

How does Cardozo surpass Fordham in rankings?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ShifferThis

New

Post by ShifferThis » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 am

Dozo = Fordham within 10 Years

Provided that the legal job market will continue to exist, Cardozo may quite possibly rise to comparable rankings of Fordham or even surpass them...but not by much. I'd like to preface this bold prediction by saying that Cardozo isn't gunning for Fordham, NYU, CLS. They are building their reputation by improving certain concentrations of law like IP and have been furiously climbing the rankings in legal scholarly work and impact. Fordham has the definitive edge in corporate law concentration, but Cardozo is clearly the better of the two in Intellectual Property.

Fordham, which was established in 1905, benefited tremendously from their alumni in recent years evidenced by a 100MM Fundraiser Campaign that was accomplished three years earlier than expected. From 2008-09, the legal job market was being hammered and although it has stabilized in 2011-2012, it's uncertain whether the market will rise to pre-recessions levels as the global economy braces for another recession. Additionally, as you may already know, hordes of law firms are outsourcing "grunt work" to the Indians; technological advances have erased inefficiencies (the need for young associates) in multiple facets of firm operations. Even if the economy were to get significantly better, the new generation of associates will do more for less. Ultimately, all it takes is for one country like Greece to destroy stability and the microscopic chance we have for economic recovery. If that were to happen, considering where the legal job market currently stands, the results can be more devastating than they were in 2008-2009. What does this shit mean???

Well, Fordham which relies heavily on their alumni network and donations will see their older generation (pre-recession) of lawyers and partners be viciously attacked and dethroned by the multitude of T-14's and hungry non T-14's. As of now, Fordham only places 19-20% of their graduates into NLJ250. Of those 20%, how many do you think are NOT paying 2-3K of disposable income for their loans? Very few. These are the breed of associates who seldom reach the status as rainmakers (I'll save this for another discussion). Likewise, it's hard to imagine the other 80% forking over whatever they have left for donation purposes.

This is when Cardozo will likely try closing the gap. Cardozo is only 35 years old. Their accomplishments are unprecedented for a school that young. I don't think it's the greatest school (marginally better than Brooklyn, marginally worse off than Fordham), but it's certainly on the rise. What's driving the school? YESHIVA. They are fiscally conservative, but they have the type of connections that make you salivate: Jewish Power! Yeshiva's endowment is roughly 1.2 Billion Dollars. Fordham University is about 511 million. Yes law schools for the most part are autonomous in program initiative and reputation, but when it comes to funds and financing, the parent university and the law school is inextricably intact. As long as Cardozo remains an extension of Yeshiva University, whether it's a recession or depression, the school will continue to thrive. Most of their donations and funding are sourced from a large body of NON-LAWYERS. I don't think this steady flow of funding will translate to higher rates of biglaw placement, which is one of the key factors for ranking purposes; however, it will enable them to do what they have been doing, and to do it better...which is focusing on their strengths and creating a reputation.

In any case, whether or not Cardozo catches up with Fordham is pointless considering the logistical obstacles both schools face when looking up at NYU and Columbia. I just hope that when Cardozo begins its ascent, that both Fordham and Cardozo will work harmoniously to support each other. That's what it'll take if they want to dethrone CLS or NYU.

kruiz88

Bronze

Post by kruiz88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Just to touch on one of your points, Cardozo and Einstein Med School make money for the university, while the undergrad and some of the other grad schools lose money. Yeshiva may be fiscally conservative, but unfortunately the university allowed a friend to manage a lot of their money; his name was Bernie Madoff. Cardozo makes a nice chunk of change off of its May program (I think it is five million or something like that), which was considered in the rankings for the first time this year, and Cardozo dropped in rankings (May students have lower LSAT and GPA numbers). Fordham just has overall a much larger Alumni base, from both the undergrad and the law school. When you tell someone you go to NYU, Columbia, or Fordham there is an instant recognition. When you tell them you go to Cardozo, the layman has not clue where it is or how good of a school it is. Alumni base menas a lot, and when you start interviewing you will see that. Columbia and NYU are not in any way touchable by Cardozo or Fordham, at least not for the next 50 years.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm

ShifferThis wrote:Dozo = Fordham within 10 Years

Provided that the legal job market will continue to exist,
Cardozo may quite possibly rise to comparable rankings of Fordham or even surpass them...but not by much. I'd like to preface this bold prediction by saying that Cardozo isn't gunning for Fordham, NYU, CLS. They are building their reputation by improving certain concentrations of law like IP and have been furiously climbing the rankings in legal scholarly work and impact. Fordham has the definitive edge in corporate law concentration, but Cardozo is clearly the better of the two in Intellectual Property.

Fordham, which was established in 1905, benefited tremendously from their alumni in recent years evidenced by a 100MM Fundraiser Campaign that was accomplished three years earlier than expected. From 2008-09, the legal job market was being hammered and although it has stabilized in 2011-2012, it's uncertain whether the market will rise to pre-recessions levels as the global economy braces for another recession. Additionally, as you may already know, hordes of law firms are outsourcing "grunt work" to the Indians; technological advances have erased inefficiencies (the need for young associates) in multiple facets of firm operations. Even if the economy were to get significantly better, the new generation of associates will do more for less. Ultimately, all it takes is for one country like Greece to destroy stability and the microscopic chance we have for economic recovery. If that were to happen, considering where the legal job market currently stands, the results can be more devastating than they were in 2008-2009. What does this shit mean???

Well, Fordham which relies heavily on their alumni network and donations will see their older generation (pre-recession) of lawyers and partners be viciously attacked and dethroned by the multitude of T-14's and hungry non T-14's. As of now, Fordham only places 19-20% of their graduates into NLJ250. Of those 20%, how many do you think are NOT paying 2-3K of disposable income for their loans? Very few. These are the breed of associates who seldom reach the status as rainmakers (I'll save this for another discussion). Likewise, it's hard to imagine the other 80% forking over whatever they have left for donation purposes.

This is when Cardozo will likely try closing the gap. Cardozo is only 35 years old. Their accomplishments are unprecedented for a school that young. I don't think it's the greatest school (marginally better than Brooklyn, marginally worse off than Fordham), but it's certainly on the rise. What's driving the school? YESHIVA. They are fiscally conservative, but they have the type of connections that make you salivate: Jewish Power! Yeshiva's endowment is roughly 1.2 Billion Dollars. Fordham University is about 511 million. Yes law schools for the most part are autonomous in program initiative and reputation, but when it comes to funds and financing, the parent university and the law school is inextricably intact. As long as Cardozo remains an extension of Yeshiva University, whether it's a recession or depression, the school will continue to thrive. Most of their donations and funding are sourced from a large body of NON-LAWYERS. I don't think this steady flow of funding will translate to higher rates of biglaw placement, which is one of the key factors for ranking purposes; however, it will enable them to do what they have been doing, and to do it better...which is focusing on their strengths and creating a reputation.

In any case, whether or not Cardozo catches up with Fordham is pointless considering the logistical obstacles both schools face when looking up at NYU and Columbia. I just hope that when Cardozo begins its ascent, that both Fordham and Cardozo will work harmoniously to support each other. That's what it'll take if they want to dethrone CLS or NYU.

DrakeTempt

New

Post by DrakeTempt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Sorry I asked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”