UIUC c/o 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Ludo!

Re: UIUC c/o 2015

Postby Ludo! » Mon May 07, 2012 7:50 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, I ended up at some dive for lunch when I was in town looking at housing. Both the Cubs and Cards games were playing games at the time and for some reason they had the audio of the Cards game on instead of the Cubs. I was disappointed.

It's weird. They sell a lot of Cards stuff down here too, like even at Walmart and stuff. Where did you go for lunch?

DoctorShawHi

Postby DoctorShawHi » Mon May 07, 2012 8:04 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, I ended up at some dive for lunch when I was in town looking at housing. Both the Cubs and Cards games were playing games at the time and for some reason they had the audio of the Cards game on instead of the Cubs. I was disappointed.

The Cardinals are world champions. The majority of fans in any sport are fair-weather. So I'm not too surprised.

Cubs or nothing

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:38 pm

LET'S GO O's!!! NUMBER ONE IN THE MLB THIS IS OUR YEAR!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS OR BUST!!

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

It's weird. They sell a lot of Cards stuff down here too, like even at Walmart and stuff. Where did you go for lunch?

I think it was Boomerang or something like that? We wanted to try some places recommended by people at the open house, but only had a short window to get lunch between apartment viewings so we just used a smartphone to find something between where we were and where we were going. It was definitely a dive kind of place. Decent wings though. Pretty sure I'm going to be living within easy walking distance of the downtown Champaign area this summer though, so I'm looking forward to checking places out. Recommendations, welcome. :)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 am

tmon wrote:

I think it was Boomerang or something like that? We wanted to try some places recommended by people at the open house, but only had a short window to get lunch between apartment viewings so we just used a smartphone to find something between where we were and where we were going. It was definitely a dive kind of place. Decent wings though. Pretty sure I'm going to be living within easy walking distance of the downtown Champaign area this summer though, so I'm looking forward to checking places out. Recommendations, welcome. :)

Never heard of it but it's got pretty good yelp reviews, I should check it out. Downtown has so many good restaurants, great choice of location. Would recommend - Bacaro, Radio Maria, Escobar's and Deshtil, those are my favorites downtown. Skip kofusion, that's my least favorite restaurant ever. Unless you like eating fake sushi in a loud tacky nightclub with terrible service.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 am

JoeFish wrote:Honestly, as many Cards fans as Cubs fans here. And a total of about 3 Sox fans.

pffft....south side dwellers.

diegoforlan10 wrote:LET'S GO O's!!! NUMBER ONE IN THE MLB THIS IS OUR YEAR!!! WORLD CHAMPIONS OR BUST!!

pish posh. i wish the cubs weren't already out of playoff contention. Seriously, its May and everyone has given up.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue May 08, 2012 12:38 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Never heard of it but it's got pretty good yelp reviews, I should check it out. Downtown has so many good restaurants, great choice of location. Would recommend - Bacaro, Radio Maria, Escobar's and Deshtil, those are my favorites downtown. Skip kofusion, that's my least favorite restaurant ever. Unless you like eating fake sushi in a loud tacky nightclub with terrible service.

Yeah, I think I've seen quite a few of those on Yelp...definitely Escobar's since I'm big on anything Mexican or Latin American, so I'll definitely check those out. Wasn't really looking for a place where I can walk downtown, but looking forward to taking advantage of it now for sure.

mattviphky wrote:pish posh. i wish the cubs weren't already out of playoff contention. Seriously, its May and everyone has given up.

LST

Postby LST » Tue May 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue May 08, 2012 4:25 pm

LST wrote:
I would add Luna to that list, if you like good tapas restaurants, Luna and Radio Maria are great picks, and only blocks apart.

I like Luna ok but the last two times I went there I had really bad service. Same waitress. Hopefully they fire her and I can go back soon.

LST

Postby LST » Tue May 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks for all the recs guys. Between knowing I'll finally get to do some distance biking again and signing my lease this week I'm really looking forward to moving down. Not that I thought I wouldn't be, but the city wasn't really biggest highlight of my first visit. Pretty excited now though.

I mapped out the campus loop route (I think...kind of tough doing this when you're so unfamiliar with the streets at this point), in case anyone else is interested:
http://g.co/maps/537tg

Hoping I find some time for that longer trip too. Haven't been biking at all this year, so it'll probably be a good goal to work toward at this point. :lol:

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 am

tmon wrote:One of my summer goals is to really get in better shape, and I love biking, so that's really great to hear. Especially with how hard it is to find a decent trip in Chicago that doesn't make me feel like I'm risking my life. :lol:

If you have any specific routes you can recommend, I'd love to hear them.

jiu jitsu

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Damn I haven't signed my lease yet. Hope I can still get the apartment I want.

DoctorShawHi

Postby DoctorShawHi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 pm

givemea170 wrote:Damn I haven't signed my lease yet. Hope I can still get the apartment I want.

I haven't even contacted an apartment yet. :shock:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm

DoctorShawHi wrote:
givemea170 wrote:Damn I haven't signed my lease yet. Hope I can still get the apartment I want.

If you know you're coming here, it's probably a good idea to get on that. They go fast around here!

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm

I wouldn't be too worried at this point though, assuming you're not aiming for a June move in and especially if you're looking for an apartment not a house. It seems like most of the apartment availabilities are for August at this point, so trying to find a place I liked for June was kind of a challenge. There were lots of places available from the "best" list on the online housing forum for August. That said, I have no idea how fast they go, so if blurbz says they'll go fast, then I'm sure they do.

That said, I'm starting to think I'm missing my calling, because this is third housing search in a row that I've finished feeling like I'm getting an amazing deal for what I'm paying. :lol:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 pm

tmon wrote:I wouldn't be too worried at this point though, assuming you're not aiming for a June move in and especially if you're looking for an apartment not a house. It seems like most of the apartment availabilities are for August at this point, so trying to find a place I liked for June was kind of a challenge. There were lots of places available from the "best" list on the online housing forum for August. That said, I have no idea how fast they go, so if blurbz says they'll go fast, then I'm sure they do.

That said, I'm starting to think I'm missing my calling, because this is third housing search in a row that I've finished feeling like I'm getting an amazing deal for what I'm paying. :lol:

It's definitely possible my apartment company lies to me about their availability to scare me into signing my lease early every year. That wouldn't surprise me, actually!

Sounds like you might've done better going into real estate...but the two aren't mutually exclusive, just have a look at TLS founder Ken: --LinkRemoved--

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Never too early for brainstorming exit strategies I suppose...

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed May 09, 2012 8:35 pm

in my home town, the wal-marts are always stocked with illini gear.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed May 09, 2012 8:36 pm

soooo...you've decided on illinois, then?!

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm

mattviphky wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=169519&p=5479955#p5479955
Get with the program, man. :)

LST

Postby LST » Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Wed May 09, 2012 9:37 pm

DoctorShawHi wrote:

Yeah, I mean, there's no harm in getting on it early, but don't worry too much. My two roommates and I signed in mid-to-late June. If you're not too concerned with being more than walking distance from the school, then you'll be able to find something in Savoy or far east or far west in June. I do recommend, if you do that, getting a place with a good shuttle service.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:22 am

mattviphky wrote:

Yeah. I took it as a sign that I got a letter from Northwestern reiterating that I was still on their wait-list. They were the only school I'd turn Illinois down for I decided but I"m not getting in off that wait-list, lol.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 am

JoeFish wrote:
DoctorShawHi wrote:

Yeah, I mean, there's no harm in getting on it early, but don't worry too much. My two roommates and I signed in mid-to-late June. If you're not too concerned with being more than walking distance from the school, then you'll be able to find something in Savoy or far east or far west in June. I do recommend, if you do that, getting a place with a good shuttle service.

Shuttle service? Any problem with just driving in to school every day?

Also, I see some people mentioning renting a house. Where would be the best place to look for that to consider those options? I'm coming up to Illinois for 3-4 days pretty soon to visit a bunch of places and make my decision on an apartment.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”