UIUC c/o 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
JennyCarroll

Re: UIUC c/o 2015

Postby JennyCarroll » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:11 pm

maestrowing wrote:
JennyCarroll wrote:
illini22 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:How big do you think our class will be?

If they follow the same trends as before, your class will be 220-225. But since it is a new admissions director and with the whole "problem" of last year, who knows. I doubt it will be bigger than 240, simply because of how sections work (each section is about 60 students).
We are aiming for a class of 240, which would be 4 sections of 60.

Happy to answer any other questions!

Hi Jenny, thank you so much for taking questions! It has prompted me to make my first post on here.

I've noticed on this thread that there was some waitlist movement today. Do you expect to admit any more applicants from the list soon? Also, are those on the waitlist eligible for scholarships?

We made a couple of admits off the waitlist today, but don't plan to do many others until after we assess the number of admits we will be able to make. We had a very positive response to the first deposit deadline, and have a few deposits still coming in (from people to whom we granted extensions), so we won't have a clear idea of our plans for the waitlist until late next week. I hope to email those people on the waitlist at that time with an update.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Jenny, can you explain why Illinois' additional fees beyond the tuition amount are so high? The fees for many of the schools I applied to were well under $1,000, so when I noticed that Illinois' are over $3,500 I was pretty surprised. A current student on the forum mentioned something about declining some of the itemized fees a while back, but I think they later said that things have changed and you can't do that anymore. Will that be the case going forward?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 pm

nshapkar wrote:Forgot about the fun little exercise. I went to Arizona State and graduated last year....well technically this May since I finally completed FRE202 haha. I applied last cycle and it went miserable. I think I went 3-14-10 (Acc-Rej-WL) with no scholarship offers (other than Cooley, the number 2 school in the nation!!). So I decided it would be stupid to rush into it and decided to take a year off and improve my GPA a little bit and LSAT. Did both and am very happy how things went this year, and am thrilled to be going to Illinois this fall.

Tailgating I'd be down. Basketball I'd be down. Keeping things low key during the week, I'd be down. Anyone else thinking of buying season tickets? I am still trying to get my UIN activated (they gave me one but it's not working on the ticketing website) so I can buy season tickets. Does anyone know if they sell them like they did at ASU (if you buy football season tickets you receive basketball season tickets) or if the two programs are completely separate?

Arizona? Make sure you invest in a couple of these http://www.columbia.com/mens-jacket-she ... lt,sc.html

They're called jackets. People here wear them 5 months a year, you may have seen them in movies.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:42 pm

I went to
diegoforlan10 wrote:Also, maybe it would be a good exercise for us to post a little bit about ourselves since we're going to be spending so much time together next year?

23, IL resident for 20 years. I love it here (even though I'm not from the "cool" part of Illinois). Graduated last year, been working this year. I applied last cycle, but I had a dismal LSAT, so I was pretty much shut out of any quality school, including Illinois. But I worked hard to get my LSAT up, and now I'm heading to Champaign this fall. Being from Illinois, the school is seen as an academic powerhouse, so it was definitely cool to tell my family about these plans. Definitely down to tailgate and do anything else that will help mitigate our impending social impairment.

LST

Postby LST » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:19 pm

LST wrote:22, IL native from the south side of Chicago, senior at Illinois, looking forward to graduation and summer. Most of my time is spent at several jobs around campus and working out at CRCE (the smaller of the two gyms, on the east side of campus) and the ARC. Interests, as far as sports that I play recreationally, include soccer, baseball (or softball) and tennis. I also enjoy biking around campus and in the Champaign-Urbana region (lots of flat, endless roads running through cornfields).

Are there bike lanes around most of Champaign?

LST

Postby LST » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Last edited by LST on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmon

Postby tmon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:38 pm

One of my summer goals is to really get in better shape, and I love biking, so that's really great to hear. Especially with how hard it is to find a decent trip in Chicago that doesn't make me feel like I'm risking my life. :lol:

If you have any specific routes you can recommend, I'd love to hear them.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:16 pm

tmon wrote:Jenny, can you explain why Illinois' additional fees beyond the tuition amount are so high? The fees for many of the schools I applied to were well under $1,000, so when I noticed that Illinois' are over $3,500 I was pretty surprised. A current student on the forum mentioned something about declining some of the itemized fees a while back, but I think they later said that things have changed and you can't do that anymore. Will that be the case going forward?

+1 I too would like to hear some sort of explanation as to why these fees are so ridiculously high, especially when they don't include football tickets!

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:07 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:I'm 99% sure I'll be at UIUC this fall and I'm really pumped! I come from University of Maryland, which has a pretty big football program, but the ACC doesn't compare to the Big Ten. Kinda bummed to find out you have to purchase tickets to games, though...at UMD, tickets were "free" (they were included in your student fees).

Anyway, who's down to get some Law School tailgates going before games? I'm a huge fan of tailgating - I get more excited for tailgates than I do for Christmas. I'd love to round up some like-minded fools and get a regular crew going to games. I assume we'll have enough free time to go to a game or two between reading assignments.

Just saw this thread. Tailgating sounds good. I'm in.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm 24 from Knoxville,TN, male.

Graduated from University of Tennessee last year and took a year off to kind of figure things out and work. Have always loved the midwest and really excited to get up to Illinois, probably will go up there in June or early July.

Would love to get into some sports... play basketball, baseball, football, tennis with my friends. Will be big on going to football games and basketball games, have always loved Big 10 sports, even growing up in SEC country.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
tmon wrote:Jenny, can you explain why Illinois' additional fees beyond the tuition amount are so high? The fees for many of the schools I applied to were well under $1,000, so when I noticed that Illinois' are over $3,500 I was pretty surprised. A current student on the forum mentioned something about declining some of the itemized fees a while back, but I think they later said that things have changed and you can't do that anymore. Will that be the case going forward?

+1 I too would like to hear some sort of explanation as to why these fees are so ridiculously high, especially when they don't include football tickets!

+2

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 pm

givemea170 wrote:I'm 24 from Knoxville,TN, male.

Graduated from University of Tennessee last year and took a year off to kind of figure things out and work. Have always loved the midwest and really excited to get up to Illinois, probably will go up there in June or early July.

Would love to get into some sports... play basketball, baseball, football, tennis with my friends. Will be big on going to football games and basketball games, have always loved Big 10 sports, even growing up in SEC country.

I am excited for basketball and football. Football season tickets don't seem too expensive season tickets are $135/$99...I don't know which ones to get, any thoughts?

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm

nshapkar wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:

+2

They are pretty high... But some of them are refundable/you can get waived from such as health insurance, etc. But a lot of those fees are from main campus, so I dont think the law school has any say on those.

illini22

Postby illini22 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:52 pm

nshapkar wrote:

I am excited for basketball and football. Football season tickets don't seem too expensive season tickets are $135/$99...I don't know which ones to get, any thoughts?

Lol, I was so excited about basketball, you know how many games I've been to? 1..... Law school is no joke... the SBA has awesome tailgating events with free food, bbq, games etc, but not too many people actually go to the games, unless you are a 3L of course.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:43 pm

illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Lol, I was so excited about basketball, you know how many games I've been to? 1..... Law school is no joke... the SBA has awesome tailgating events with free food, bbq, games etc, but not too many people actually go to the games, unless you are a 3L of course.

Yeah I know that football games I'll be able to go to most since they're on Saturdays. Basketball though I'll probably only make it out to weekend games and maybe one big game during the week.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

I went to lots of basketball games 1l and 2l year.

The problem isn't having time to go to the games, it's how bad the team was. (Optimistic about the new coach though :D )

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

nshapkar wrote:
illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

Yeah I know that football games I'll be able to go to most since they're on Saturdays. Basketball though I'll probably only make it out to weekend games and maybe one big game during the week.

Illinois has always been a basketball school. Bruce Weber kind of killed the fans' enthusiasm, but back before he arrived, Illini crowds were intense.

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:

I went to lots of basketball games 1l and 2l year.

The problem isn't having time to go to the games, it's how bad the team was. (Optimistic about the new coach though :D )

LOL... Illinois should do better with an offensive minded coach.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

illini22 wrote:
They are pretty high... But some of them are refundable/you can get waived from such as health insurance, etc. But a lot of those fees are from main campus, so I dont think the law school has any say on those.

Insurance fee is like $200 that you can get out of only if you have proof of other insurance. The other fees added up to a total of about $60 per semester. Doesn't really even out

EMAW12

Postby EMAW12 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:48 pm

givemea170 wrote:Illinois has always been a basketball school. Bruce Weber kind of killed the fans' enthusiasm, but back before he arrived, Illini crowds were intense.

Much to my dismay, my undergrad just hired him.

:?

JennyCarroll

Postby JennyCarroll » Tue May 01, 2012 9:57 am

illini22 wrote:
nshapkar wrote:
diegoforlan10 wrote:

+2

This website shows a breakdown of fees by semester. http://www.registrar.illinois.edu/finan ... l#nextyear As was mentioned, you can be exempted from the health insurance fee ($620 per year) by showing proof of alternative health insurance (e.g. your parents plan, if you are still covered under it.) There are also several fees that you can get a refund for, which equate to about $130 per year. In addition to general administrative support and facility maintenance, the fees also cover a variety of things that are beneficial to you, including your membership at Campus Recreation (ARC, the newly renovated athletic/workout facility is a block away from the law building) and bus access.

JennyCarroll

Postby JennyCarroll » Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am

Oh, and football tickets aren't free, but they are only $10 per game, which is pretty good!

givemea170

Postby givemea170 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm

JennyCarroll wrote:Oh, and football tickets aren't free, but they are only $10 per game, which is pretty good!

Now that Zook is gone, $10 is reasonable! :lol:

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

givemea170 wrote:
JennyCarroll wrote:Oh, and football tickets aren't free, but they are only $10 per game, which is pretty good!

Now that Zook is gone, $10 is reasonable! :lol:

Would I rather go see a movie that's been recycled four-five times over the past twenty years or go see a live game? Tough decision :?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”