UIUC c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
diegoforlan10

Bronze

Re: UIUC c/o 2015

Post by diegoforlan10 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:50 pm

$10 is reasonable. Not as good as FREE!!! but it's alright, I guess. Equates to a few less beers during the tailgate.

Ninja edit - Speaking of tailgates, I read somewhere on here that the SBA hosts Law School tailgates! I have no idea where I read this since I have been on TLS entirely too much in the past four months and everything is a big blur, but I do remember that it was free. $10 a game is not bad at all with a free tailgate.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue May 01, 2012 4:57 pm

nshapkar wrote:
givemea170 wrote:
JennyCarroll wrote:Oh, and football tickets aren't free, but they are only $10 per game, which is pretty good!
Now that Zook is gone, $10 is reasonable! :lol:

Would I rather go see a movie that's been recycled four-five times over the past twenty years or go see a live game? Tough decision :?
Obvious answer is it depends on the weather. I'll gut out a cold weather game for my undergrad team, but no way I'd rather sit outside for Illinois football when I could be home where its warm watching better games on TV. :lol:

That said, I'd like to check out at least one game this fall. Haven't been in the stadium since I was a kid and the Bears were playing there while they renovated Soldier Field.

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

The fees are reasonable. You'd be paying for it either way. Just because they call them fees and not tuition doesn't mean that you're not still paying. Education is a service.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 pm

DoctorShawHi wrote:The fees are reasonable. You'd be paying for it either way. Just because they call them fees and not tuition doesn't mean that you're not still paying. Education is a service.
"Reasonable" isn't saying much, and I'm not really sure what you're saying. I don't want to belabor the point, because who cares now that we're all committed, but to basically say that these costs are the same from school to school regardless what they call them is just wrong. Also, if a school is giving out scholarships as a percentage of tuition cost, increased non-tuition costs compared to other schools are significant.

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Wed May 02, 2012 12:56 am

just can't let me rationalize for our school, can ya? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed May 02, 2012 1:03 am

DoctorShawHi wrote:just can't let me rationalize for our school, can ya? :P
:lol:
Let's be honest. I'm just bitter because I had my costs all figured out until I realized that there was this other category of charges I hadn't accounted for and was irked by it.

mhb35

New

Post by mhb35 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:15 pm

Hey everybody, admitted student here, made my deposit and intend to be in Champaign in the fall. Just a brief bio: male, 24 years old, from north suburbs of Chicago, graduated from Cornell in NY in 2010, been doing various work in what will be my two years out of school.

My real reason for posting here is about living situations and what some people are thinking about. I personally am open at the moment but may have a fairly good situation that I could fit two other people into (male or female, doesn't matter). A friend of mine from college grew up in Champaign, family doesn't live there anymore, but they still own their old house and it happens to be just a 7-8 minute drive from the law school in Champaign over on Devonshire Drive. It's 3BR and they want to rent it out. It's a full legit house, not an apartment, and rent would probably be $450ish, but negotiable. I'm hoping to make that work out, however, I'm also down to find a good situation elsewhere if people are trying to find roommates and ultra-savvy living situations.

Tell me what all your plans are for living!! Since I'm guessing most of us have never lived or really been to Champaign before :)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 pm

If the house option ends up not working out I'd recommend using both the admitted students housing forum on the website, as well as padmapper.com. I found lots of options through both. Last I checked most of the posts on the forum were sublets, so that's not terribly useful, but there are two threads about best/worst housing companies. The best list's links are kind of spotty, so just google the names of them if the URL doesn't work. I often used padmapper to look up available units and then crosschecked with the best/worst threads to see if they came up. I'm pretty sure I've found my place, and am really excited about it.
Anyone else moving earlier in the summer?

edit: I'm gonna have to stop being every other post here.... :oops:

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Wed May 02, 2012 9:52 pm

when are you guys planning on getting your apartments? I'm not sure what the timeline is for that.

I'd kind of like to find a roommate, myself. Not sure when all of this stuff goes down. At my UG we would generally line up housing a year in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thurch

New

Post by thurch » Wed May 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on both of the main UIUC fourms for a while and figured that I should finally post something. UIUC is definitely where I'll matriculate this fall as I've fully deposited there and withdrawn everywhere else. Currently I live in Chicago where I've been working since completing undergrad in 1993.

At this point I have a contract on a 3 bedroom, 3 bath townhouse in Urbana approximately 2.2 miles east of the law school. This place is 2,100 square feet with two master suites, each on a separate floor, along with an oversized two car garage and a lot of storage. I'm hoping to find a roommate to take the downstairs suite. I'll furnish most of the place including a 50' TV, the spare bedroom and bath, as well as provide for the kitchen. The roommate would pretty much only need to come up his/her bed. In addition to rent, the amount of which can be discussed privately, we'll split gas/electric/internet and I'm strongly leaning housekeeper as well. Oh, and I should mention that I have a dog, a 6 year old, 65 pound mix breed who's pretty laid back and very quiet. PM me if your interested in the roommate situation or anything else.

I can hardly wait until August and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu May 03, 2012 12:00 am

thurch wrote:Hi everyone. I've been lurking on both of the main UIUC fourms for a while and figured that I should finally post something. UIUC is definitely where I'll matriculate this fall as I've fully deposited there and withdrawn everywhere else. Currently I live in Chicago where I've been working since completing undergrad in 1993.

At this point I have a contract on a 3 bedroom, 3 bath townhouse in Urbana approximately 2.2 miles east of the law school. This place is 2,100 square feet with two master suites, each on a separate floor, along with an oversized two car garage and a lot of storage. I'm hoping to find a roommate to take the downstairs suite. I'll furnish most of the place including a 50' TV, the spare bedroom and bath, as well as provide for the kitchen. The roommate would pretty much only need to come up his/her bed. In addition to rent, the amount of which can be discussed privately, we'll split gas/electric/internet and I'm strongly leaning housekeeper as well. Oh, and I should mention that I have a dog, a 6 year old, 65 pound mix breed who's pretty laid back and very quiet. PM me if your interested in the roommate situation or anything else.

I can hardly wait until August and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Looks I've made a terrible, hasty housing decision...

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 am

Having a housekeeper sounds effing AWESOME!!!! I might have to do this...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I was just informed that I was awarded the "children of illinois veterans scholarship"...an easy decision just because even easier! So excited to go to Champaign, and hopefully the scholarship money I was initially awarded will be allocated to other incoming students. Definitely excited!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

illini22

New

Post by illini22 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 pm

mattviphky wrote:I was just informed that I was awarded the "children of illinois veterans scholarship"...an easy decision just because even easier! So excited to go to Champaign, and hopefully the scholarship money I was initially awarded will be allocated to other incoming students. Definitely excited!
Congratulations, this is a full tuition waiver right? Also, I do not think money works that way. The school is likely taking a hit by you getting this scholarship. Since they are likely not getting "paid" the amount by another organization, the University of Illinois is just agreeing to waive tuition, so the college of law is just taking the hit of whatever tuition you were going to pay.

Think about it this way, when they award a tuition scholarship is not really GIVING money, but agreeing to charge you less. Now they wont be able to charge you anything.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Man our facebook group is seriously dead. Have all of you committed students joined it yet?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sat May 05, 2012 6:28 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:Man our facebook group is seriously dead. Have all of you committed students joined it yet?
There's an "official" page too that was linked to in the most recent admissions newsletter email and has quite a few more people in it I think. It seems that some of them are current students though. Link.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 pm

mattviphky wrote:I was just informed that I was awarded the "children of illinois veterans scholarship"...an easy decision just because even easier! So excited to go to Champaign, and hopefully the scholarship money I was initially awarded will be allocated to other incoming students. Definitely excited!
Nice work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm

givemea170 wrote:
Nice work.

Ha thanks man. But I would probably have to give most of the credit to my dad; i wasn't the one who fought in Afghanistan. Although I still have 4 months left on my enlistment, so probably shouldn't speak too soon. I'm glad these wars are winding down.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm

illini22 wrote:
Congratulations, this is a full tuition waiver right? Also, I do not think money works that way. The school is likely taking a hit by you getting this scholarship. Since they are likely not getting "paid" the amount by another organization, the University of Illinois is just agreeing to waive tuition, so the college of law is just taking the hit of whatever tuition you were going to pay.

Think about it this way, when they award a tuition scholarship is not really GIVING money, but agreeing to charge you less. Now they wont be able to charge you anything.
Yes. I actually feel bad about that, since I think Illinois is a great school and I am humbled just to have even been accepted. However, I will have the rest of my life to give donations as a proud alumnus. Also, I'm sure that they have all that stuff calculated, and they know how much money they need to bring in to keep the people in charge happy. I just hope that the 9k will find its way to another person.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm

sox or cubs?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:28 am

Cubs. Sox are second class citizens.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Mon May 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Honestly, as many Cards fans as Cubs fans here. And a total of about 3 Sox fans.

givemea170

Bronze

Post by givemea170 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:33 pm

JoeFish wrote:Honestly, as many Cards fans as Cubs fans here. And a total of about 3 Sox fans.
That is disgusting! Do they like rooting for cheaters?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon May 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah, I ended up at some dive for lunch when I was in town looking at housing. Both the Cubs and Cards games were playing games at the time and for some reason they had the audio of the Cards game on instead of the Cubs. I was disappointed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”