Suffolk - Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ehale317
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby ehale317 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:38 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....


I am from the Boston area and Jamaica Plain/Somerville/Brookline are all good places if you have children. I would describe them as up and coming towns/neighborhoods with young professionals. You might consider Arlington too. These areas are close to the train lines and have lots to do. GL with your search and welcome to Boston. Greatest city around.

MysticalAmethyst
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby MysticalAmethyst » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 pm

ehale317 wrote:
MysticalAmethyst wrote:JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....


I am from the Boston area and Jamaica Plain/Somerville/Brookline are all good places if you have children. I would describe them as up and coming towns/neighborhoods with young professionals. You might consider Arlington too. These areas are close to the train lines and have lots to do. GL with your search and welcome to Boston. Greatest city around.


Thank you for the information. I have been trying to utilize a realtor in the area, but she hasn't found anything. I think I will take your suggestion and look in Arlington. Regardless of where I live I want to be close to the trains. I hear that you don't want to have to walk very far to reach transportation in the winter...

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 am

MysticalAmethyst wrote:
ehale317 wrote:
MysticalAmethyst wrote:JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....


I am from the Boston area and Jamaica Plain/Somerville/Brookline are all good places if you have children. I would describe them as up and coming towns/neighborhoods with young professionals. You might consider Arlington too. These areas are close to the train lines and have lots to do. GL with your search and welcome to Boston. Greatest city around.


Thank you for the information. I have been trying to utilize a realtor in the area, but she hasn't found anything. I think I will take your suggestion and look in Arlington. Regardless of where I live I want to be close to the trains. I hear that you don't want to have to walk very far to reach transportation in the winter...


I was actually just in Boston this weekend apartment hunting. There are also some nice places in Cambridge. It is a little more expensive but you can find some nice places and Central Square and Kendal Square (MIT) area are only like 10 to 15 minute commute on the Redline to Park Street stop which is right across the street from Suffolk.

Olive-Juice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Olive-Juice » Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Tue May 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Olive-Juice wrote:So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input


Well for I a while I was actually dead set on NYLS but they didn't give me a scholarship. And with the cost of tuition there and deans leaving and their lawsuit I was a little skeptical of attending NYLS. That's just my opinion, but when I visited NYLS over the summer I loved it and a few people I know who are going there enjoy being there.

MysticalAmethyst
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby MysticalAmethyst » Tue May 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Olive-Juice wrote:So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input


Hey Olive-Juice, I am in the same boat, I was all set for Suffolk and then another school offered me money. I sent and email to Suffolk asking if they would match, but they haven't responded yet. You could try sending an email as well...

Olive-Juice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Olive-Juice » Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 pm

quiksilver21af wrote:
Olive-Juice wrote:So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input


Well for I a while I was actually dead set on NYLS but they didn't give me a scholarship. And with the cost of tuition there and deans leaving and their lawsuit I was a little skeptical of attending NYLS. That's just my opinion, but when I visited NYLS over the summer I loved it and a few people I know who are going there enjoy being there.



Didn't the law suite get dismissed. I heard that Bloomberg was becoming their next president

Olive-Juice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Olive-Juice » Tue May 01, 2012 10:49 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:
Olive-Juice wrote:So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input


Hey Olive-Juice, I am in the same boat, I was all set for Suffolk and then another school offered me money. I sent and email to Suffolk asking if they would match, but they haven't responded yet. You could try sending an email as well...


Thanks, I might. Worth a chance right?

rij1902
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby rij1902 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:11 pm

Olive-Juice wrote:Didn't the law suite get dismissed. I heard that Bloomberg was becoming their next president


Yes, the law suite was dismissed: http://abovethelaw.com/2012/03/breaking ... dismissed/

No, the mayor is not going to be the Pres/dean: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/m ... 1194&ndi=1

rij1902
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby rij1902 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Is there a facebook group for the incoming class of 2015 yet?

Olive-Juice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Olive-Juice » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

rij1902 wrote:Is there a facebook group for the incoming class of 2015 yet?


Not that I've been able to find

Sirius
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Sirius » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

retake

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm

Olive-Juice wrote:
rij1902 wrote:Is there a facebook group for the incoming class of 2015 yet?


Not that I've been able to find


I couldn't find one either and I was thinking of starting one. I just don't want to "be that guy."

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Wed May 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Facebook requires you to add members before you add the group so if anyone going to Suffolk and wants to friend me on Facebook send me a P.M. on TLS.

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 pm

I just created a Facebook group for our class. http://www.facebook.com/groups/398167633557064/ That should bring you to it.

Olive-Juice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby Olive-Juice » Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 am

Does anyone know if they're going to the housing event in June?

ehale317
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby ehale317 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 am

Everyone get the new student info 'booklet' (powerpoint) by email?

Also, anyone considering working a little during school (well under 20 hours of course)? I have an easy flexible part-time job that I could work Saturdays and make a little spending money...And I can just as easily say I can't work if it becomes too much. Got two jobs this summer, so hopefully I can save a little.

Finally, anyone get that Civil Procedure textbook from Professor Glannon? Should make for interesting summer reading

quiksilver21af
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby quiksilver21af » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

ehale317 wrote:Everyone get the new student info 'booklet' (powerpoint) by email?

Also, anyone considering working a little during school (well under 20 hours of course)? I have an easy flexible part-time job that I could work Saturdays and make a little spending money...And I can just as easily say I can't work if it becomes too much. Got two jobs this summer, so hopefully I can save a little.

Finally, anyone get that Civil Procedure textbook from Professor Glannon? Should make for interesting summer reading


I actually have Glannons book but I not entirely sure if I am going to read it this summer. I don't know how much I want to start hitting the books. I just finished undergrad so maybe in a month or two when I get bored I will start reading it.

User avatar
OneSixtySix
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby OneSixtySix » Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Current BU 2L-soon-to-be-3L here.

On the off chance that anybody is looking for a place for a 10-12 week period between May 21 and Aug 15, I'll be out of town and am looking to sublet my apartment. Unfortunately, there would not be an option to renew the lease, as I'll be coming back for the next year on the 15th, however if you needed to move to Boston early, we could be a fit.

The apartment is located in Brookline on the "C" line of the MBTA Green Line about 3.5 miles and under 25 min on the T to Suffolk Law. Rent is about $750/mo.

Send me a PM for details.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 pm

MysticalAmethyst wrote:JoeMo,
Thank you for the information 8)

Olive-Juice,
I too am coming from the West coast. I think you should look for studios in the Beacon Hill if you want to be close to school and not pay too much. Make sure you look for an apartment that has been deleaded. Some apartments can be listed really cheap on Craigslist but lead can be a serious issue. I have a friend that lives out there and she recommends Jamaica plain, Somerville, or Brookline. She said most of the students live in Allston/Brighton, but I have children so I am looking for somewhere quiet especially after living in IV near SB for undergrad....


I don't recommend Jamaica Plain. I recommend East Boston, Somerville, Brighton, Chestnut Hill and some of the outer 'burbs like Newton. The cheapest of these are East Boston and Somerville. East Boston has 3 great new condo buildings and some of the units are rented by owner. Look up Paragon Properties as they usually list most of them. They have loft style apartments. Or there are a million and one two and three family homes in the area. It's a very latino centric neighborhood but it's not ghetto in the sense that you'll have issues with crime whereas Jamaica Plain can be really ghetto. East Boston is right on the Blue Line and just a couple of stops from the heart of Boston. Right next to Logan. Somerville is similar but a bit further. Brighton is on the green line which can be a pain during commuter hours. Also look at Charlestown and Watertown.

Beacon Hill is REALLY expensive so unless you're sure that you want to pay top dollar for your dwelling I wouldn't even bother looking there. I mean, you'd have to pay top dollar to live surrounded by the likes of John and Teresa Heinz-Kerry.

benjfranklin
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby benjfranklin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 pm

My application was sent 2 months ago and still no answer.

Ive send an email to the office of admission and they told me I will receive it by mail (not email) next week.

So my question is: do you know if they also send negative decisions by mail?

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby JoeMo » Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Olive-Juice wrote:So I was dead set on going to Suffolk but I also got into NYLS with a scholarship. I wanted to know if anyone had looked at both schools and had any input


NYLS faces the problem I talked about earlier where they're not well regarded in the area. First off, they're not well regarded in NYC because you have to work your way down the hierarchy, Columbia, NYU, Penn (major feeder), Cornell, the rest of the T14, Cardozo... etc... etc... then NYLS.

2nd You're competing with grads from the entire country in one of the largest legal markets in the world.

As I said, Suffolk is an anomaly in that it is extremely well regarded among Boston firms. Mostly because a lot of their grads have gone on to do great things in Boston thus promoting the Suffolk name. Harvard grads are going to go elsewhere most likely (New York, DC, etc...) and then you have BU/BC, Northeastern and then there's Suffolk. Much easier to make your way down that hierarchy. You'll get occassional T14 grads competing for jobs that want to go back to the Boston area but there won't be as many as in New York. Unless you're getting a full-ride at NYLS or close to it, I wouldn't go there.

BlondieNYC
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby BlondieNYC » Tue May 15, 2012 11:31 am

Is anyone going to the housing thing on June 1st and 2nd?

BlondieNYC
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 am

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby BlondieNYC » Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 am

benjfranklin wrote:My application was sent 2 months ago and still no answer.

Ive send an email to the office of admission and they told me I will receive it by mail (not email) next week.

So my question is: do you know if they also send negative decisions by mail?



They send negative stuff on the mail too, but don't sweat. If they've taken too long that can also be a good thing.
Best of luck, hope to see you there in the Fall.

benjfranklin
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Suffolk - Class of 2015

Postby benjfranklin » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Thank you.

Do you know how long it takes to have the decision via the status checker?

I have "decision letter mailed" since last tuesday




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest