University of Florida Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

MissMock wrote:LSATMakesMeNeurotic, would you say that most people live alone or with roomates? Would it be considered weird to live alone?


Not at all. I know a lot of people that live alone, and a lot of people one roommate. I live alone now, and I have to say it is SO much better than having three roommates like I did in undergrad. The only person whose mess/stress I have to deal with is my own. A lot of people echo that sentiment too when we talk about it. The one downside is that it can get lonely coming home to an empty apartment.

User avatar
aykim2188
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby aykim2188 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 pm

I also agree that there's nothing wrong with living alone. Just more expensive. As of now I plan on living alone for 1l at least.

rcrdriv
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:43 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby rcrdriv » Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 am

aykim2188 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Bartram apartments?


I looked into Bartram when I was up there and it seems great, although a bit pricey. When I talked to the manager he said that Bartram houses 70%-80% non-undergrad folks, which is awesome for the noise level. This would included graduate students, nurses from Shands, and young professionals. They are just finishing up re-working the roof, I guess they had some problems with some units experiencing leaks. But overall, I really liked the complex and the fact that it is across the street from campus. I signed my lease there a few months ago and I am looking forward to moving in come August.

User avatar
aykim2188
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:01 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby aykim2188 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:08 pm

rcrdriv wrote:
aykim2188 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Bartram apartments?


I looked into Bartram when I was up there and it seems great, although a bit pricey. When I talked to the manager he said that Bartram houses 70%-80% non-undergrad folks, which is awesome for the noise level. This would included graduate students, nurses from Shands, and young professionals. They are just finishing up re-working the roof, I guess they had some problems with some units experiencing leaks. But overall, I really liked the complex and the fact that it is across the street from campus. I signed my lease there a few months ago and I am looking forward to moving in come August.


Thanks for the input! As of now I am going w/ Continuum b/c I feel like it's a little cheaper while offering more. How much is your rent?

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby noleknight16 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:39 pm

rcrdriv wrote:
aykim2188 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Bartram apartments?


I looked into Bartram when I was up there and it seems great, although a bit pricey. When I talked to the manager he said that Bartram houses 70%-80% non-undergrad folks, which is awesome for the noise level. This would included graduate students, nurses from Shands, and young professionals. They are just finishing up re-working the roof, I guess they had some problems with some units experiencing leaks. But overall, I really liked the complex and the fact that it is across the street from campus. I signed my lease there a few months ago and I am looking forward to moving in come August.


I visited the Bartram and feel the same about it. It's too expensive for a 1/1 so I'm gonna have to find a roommate or two in order to afford to live there. I like that side of town much better than the continuum's location.

pat4redick
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby pat4redick » Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey guys, recently decided on UF and wanted jump in on the thread. Went to U. of Miami for undergrad but have spent a lot time in Gainesville the last few years. Hope to see some of you this Fall!

Figure.N9ne
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby Figure.N9ne » Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 am

aykim2188 wrote:
rcrdriv wrote:
aykim2188 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Bartram apartments?


I looked into Bartram when I was up there and it seems great, although a bit pricey. When I talked to the manager he said that Bartram houses 70%-80% non-undergrad folks, which is awesome for the noise level. This would included graduate students, nurses from Shands, and young professionals. They are just finishing up re-working the roof, I guess they had some problems with some units experiencing leaks. But overall, I really liked the complex and the fact that it is across the street from campus. I signed my lease there a few months ago and I am looking forward to moving in come August.


Thanks for the input! As of now I am going w/ Continuum b/c I feel like it's a little cheaper while offering more. How much is your rent?


I went up to Gainesville to find a place yesterday and also decided on the Continuum. The studio is tiny but the deal isn't bad when you consider everything that is included.
Last edited by Figure.N9ne on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TopBanana
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby TopBanana » Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 pm

So I sent in my seat deposit, my financial aid application has been processed, and my lease is signed. What's next for a 0L?

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue May 08, 2012 10:59 pm

TopBanana wrote:So I sent in my seat deposit, my financial aid application has been processed, and my lease is signed. What's next for a 0L?


ENJOY YOUR SUMMER

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby UMiamiCane » Mon May 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Does anyone know when/about when midterms are? I'm making travel plans for an out of state wedding Oct 6, leaving that Thursday afternoon- I have to miss class on Friday.

beachy
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby beachy » Tue May 22, 2012 8:08 am

Is anybody using the roommate finding/matching forum that UF provided on the law website? I had horrible roommate experiences in undergrad (think sleep walking, scissor wielding nutso) but cant afford to live on my own and Im trying to figure out how to meet up with potentials before we sign a lease.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue May 22, 2012 9:24 am

UMiamiCane wrote:Does anyone know when/about when midterms are? I'm making travel plans for an out of state wedding Oct 6, leaving that Thursday afternoon- I have to miss class on Friday.


Last year, we didn't have Friday classes. My classes also didn't have midterms.

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby UMiamiCane » Tue May 22, 2012 10:30 am

pinkcamellia wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:Does anyone know when/about when midterms are? I'm making travel plans for an out of state wedding Oct 6, leaving that Thursday afternoon- I have to miss class on Friday.


Last year, we didn't have Friday classes. My classes also didn't have midterms.


Thanks! Unfortunately, it looks like every section this year has class on Friday, but good to know about the midterms.

lynzl84
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby lynzl84 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:56 am

UMiamiCane wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:Does anyone know when/about when midterms are? I'm making travel plans for an out of state wedding Oct 6, leaving that Thursday afternoon- I have to miss class on Friday.


Last year, we didn't have Friday classes. My classes also didn't have midterms.


Thanks! Unfortunately, it looks like every section this year has class on Friday, but good to know about the midterms.


I just looked at the schedule again - didn't notice that before. Every section has ONE class on Friday, at 11. Darn.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby noleknight16 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Of course we don't get Friday's off this year. :?

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby UMiamiCane » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 pm

lynzl84 wrote:I just looked at the schedule again - didn't notice that before. Every section has ONE class on Friday, at 11. Darn.



noleknight16 wrote:Of course we don't get Friday's off this year. :?


Seems like a waste of resources (time, gas, electricity, etc) to have everyone come to campus for ONE class. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it will probably be a good way to make sure I study on Fridays.

lynzl84
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby lynzl84 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
lynzl84 wrote:I just looked at the schedule again - didn't notice that before. Every section has ONE class on Friday, at 11. Darn.



noleknight16 wrote:Of course we don't get Friday's off this year. :?


Seems like a waste of resources (time, gas, electricity, etc) to have everyone come to campus for ONE class. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it will probably be a good way to make sure I study on Fridays.


I'm in the same boat. A little disappointed, but I certainly know it will probably help me keep a more consistent schedule.

Figure.N9ne
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby Figure.N9ne » Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:
lynzl84 wrote:I just looked at the schedule again - didn't notice that before. Every section has ONE class on Friday, at 11. Darn.



noleknight16 wrote:Of course we don't get Friday's off this year. :?


Seems like a waste of resources (time, gas, electricity, etc) to have everyone come to campus for ONE class. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it will probably be a good way to make sure I study on Fridays.


When I did my tour, they told me Friday classes were a new ABA policy. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what they told me.

TopBanana
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby TopBanana » Tue May 22, 2012 6:49 pm

I remember reading in the applicants thread that UF offers a free stay in campus housing when you visit. Can someone shed some light on this?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Figure.N9ne wrote:
UMiamiCane wrote:
lynzl84 wrote:I just looked at the schedule again - didn't notice that before. Every section has ONE class on Friday, at 11. Darn.



noleknight16 wrote:Of course we don't get Friday's off this year. :?


Seems like a waste of resources (time, gas, electricity, etc) to have everyone come to campus for ONE class. At first I was pretty disappointed, but it will probably be a good way to make sure I study on Fridays.


When I did my tour, they told me Friday classes were a new ABA policy. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what they told me.


Wow, that sounds terrible. Sorry for my previous response then - I had no idea! But to the person I was responding to, it should be fine to miss one class.

lynzl84
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby lynzl84 » Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 pm

TopBanana wrote:I remember reading in the applicants thread that UF offers a free stay in campus housing when you visit. Can someone shed some light on this?

It's at the Continuum. I'm sure they are trying to get you to lease there. I believe it has to be an official tour/visit to the law school. There's a blurb about it on the law school website somewhere (under the section about visiting, I believe), but I'm sure you could call the continuum and ask about it.

TopBanana
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby TopBanana » Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 pm

lynzl84 wrote:
TopBanana wrote:I remember reading in the applicants thread that UF offers a free stay in campus housing when you visit. Can someone shed some light on this?

It's at the Continuum. I'm sure they are trying to get you to lease there. I believe it has to be an official tour/visit to the law school. There's a blurb about it on the law school website somewhere (under the section about visiting, I believe), but I'm sure you could call the continuum and ask about it.


Ah got it, thanks:

--LinkRemoved--

Do you need a place to stay while visiting the UF Levin College of Law? The Continuum is the brand new community built exclusively for University of Florida graduate and professional students and faculty/staff members. The Continuum is happy to provide you with a FREE place to stay while you are in Gainesville for an official visit with the UF Levin College of Law. Simply contact The Continuum directly via phone (352-327-3040) or email (continuum@housing.ufl.edu) to reserve your space. For more information, visit http://www.housing.ufl. edu/continuum. Follow these links for directions to campus, additional hotel options and parking information.

I think I'll spring for a hotel.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue May 22, 2012 9:07 pm

UMiamiCane wrote:Does anyone know when/about when midterms are? I'm making travel plans for an out of state wedding Oct 6, leaving that Thursday afternoon- I have to miss class on Friday.


We had a midterm in our property class. It is entirely professor specific, but I don't think very many professors give them. Ours was right before spring break, which was pretty much halfway through.

User avatar
abogadesq
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:30 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby abogadesq » Wed May 23, 2012 11:50 am

You guys should consider Corry Village. It's next to the law school and dirt cheap ($436 a month; includes everything except electricity).

UMiamiCane
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 am

Re: University of Florida Class of 2015

Postby UMiamiCane » Wed May 23, 2012 12:17 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Wow, that sounds terrible. Sorry for my previous response then - I had no idea! But to the person I was responding to, it should be fine to miss one class.


Okay, thanks!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:We had a midterm in our property class. It is entirely professor specific, but I don't think very many professors give them. Ours was right before spring break, which was pretty much halfway through.


Thanks for the info, I hope that if any of my classes have them they are aren't that day or the following week. I think that's right about halfway through...

mmartinneal wrote:You guys should consider Corry Village. It's next to the law school and dirt cheap ($436 a month; includes everything except electricity).


Isn't that family housing? Are there kids there? Although I'm not looking for a place, personally I wouldn't want to live where there are kids.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests