Georgia Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ahenson7

New

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Post by ahenson7 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:09 pm

eandy wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:Starting the apartment search this week!

Any suggestions on one bedrooms under $600ish?
Within walking distance or not?
I would prefer walking distance, but I'm not opposed to driving to campus.
Mainly I want my own washer and dryer. Furnished would be awesome, too...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Stadium Village is the best deal for 1BRs, IMO. It's close enough that you could walk to school and it would definitely be feasible to walk home from downtown (though if you're a girl I don't suggest doing that at 2am by yourself). There are some good deals to be had on craigslist. I think some have washers and dryers and others don't. I know they have on-site laundry, though.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:36 pm

eandy wrote:Stadium Village is the best deal for 1BRs, IMO. It's close enough that you could walk to school and it would definitely be feasible to walk home from downtown (though if you're a girl I don't suggest doing that at 2am by yourself). There are some good deals to be had on craigslist. I think some have washers and dryers and others don't. I know they have on-site laundry, though.
Thanks! I'll check it out when I come down.

I've been perusing craigslist, but there are so many listings it's a little overwhelming... not to mention that I'm not seasoned in craigslist or apartment hunting, so it's kind of hard for me to tell what's a legit deal and what's not. :?

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Pre-leased my apartment today!! Yay!

jabberwock12

New

Post by jabberwock12 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Pre-leased my apartment today!! Yay!
Awesome! Where at if you don't mind me asking :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 am

jabberwock12 wrote:
Cascades Classic City Townhomes... just a mile or two past North Campus. I looked around Athens all day and it was definitely the best value I could find!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 am

ahenson7 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:
Cascades Classic City Townhomes... just a mile or two past North Campus. I looked around Athens all day and it was definitely the best value I could find!
Oh god. Do NOT leave anything in your car you'd like to keep. That part of town is sketchvilllllle.

Guys, check the crime blotter before you sign a lease. The red and black (UGA newspaper) posts a map every week that shows all the stuff in the area near campus. This is the one for last week.
http://redandblack.com/2012/04/17/athen ... pril-8-15/

The most comprehensive blotter is --LinkRemoved-- but I can't remember if they have maps.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but just advice for everyone.

For example, the Park on West Broad has cops on foot patrol because that is where a TON of drug deals/other crazy things go down. They won't tell you that, though.

Here is a rough map of No places (red), I wouldn't (orange), don't walk by yourself at night but otherwise totally fine (yellow), and generally desirable (green). It doesn't include everything, but it should be helpful for people who have no idea. Athens is a real shithole and break-ins are out of control. If you can get a gated place or a place with a garage, that is what you want. There are some places that are nice enough to justify being a little sketch (madison heights area, parts of boulevard, etc.). However, just be thoughtful. Even in the North Deck (where you park for law school), someone ruined my driver door by attempting to jimmy my lock open. Someone tried to rip a spoiler off another law student's car. In the real bad parts of town, people are cutting catalytic converters off cars for the platinum and ripping out people's air conditioning units. Someone even just stole the air conditioning from Barberitos (burrito place) downtown off their roof.
--ImageRemoved--

tl;dr: check the crime blotter/a few of the maps and just know what you are getting into before you sign a lease.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 pm

eandy wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:
jabberwock12 wrote:
Oh god. Do NOT leave anything in your car you'd like to keep. That part of town is sketchvilllllle.

Guys, check the crime blotter before you sign a lease. The red and black (UGA newspaper) posts a map every week that shows all the stuff in the area near campus. This is the one for last week.
http://redandblack.com/2012/04/17/athen ... pril-8-15/

The most comprehensive blotter is --LinkRemoved-- but I can't remember if they have maps.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but just advice for everyone.

For example, the Park on West Broad has cops on foot patrol because that is where a TON of drug deals/other crazy things go down. They won't tell you that, though.

Here is a rough map of No places (red), I wouldn't (orange), don't walk by yourself at night but otherwise totally fine (yellow), and generally desirable (green). It doesn't include everything, but it should be helpful for people who have no idea. Athens is a real shithole and break-ins are out of control. If you can get a gated place or a place with a garage, that is what you want. There are some places that are nice enough to justify being a little sketch (madison heights area, parts of boulevard, etc.). However, just be thoughtful. Even in the North Deck (where you park for law school), someone ruined my driver door by attempting to jimmy my lock open. Someone tried to rip a spoiler off another law student's car. In the real bad parts of town, people are cutting catalytic converters off cars for the platinum and ripping out people's air conditioning units. Someone even just stole the air conditioning from Barberitos (burrito place) downtown off their roof.
--ImageRemoved--

tl;dr: check the crime blotter/a few of the maps and just know what you are getting into before you sign a lease.
Oh great. I'm kind of afraid of getting shot now.

RareAir

New

Post by RareAir » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 pm

What would you say about college ave about a half mile north of campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

South Jackson. 800/month (power and water included)

or

South St. 800/month (non-inclusive)

or

University tower (don't know much about, other than that I am touring it as well)

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

blake8907 wrote:South Jackson. 800/month (power and water included)

or

South St. 800/month (non-inclusive)

or

University tower (don't know much about, other than that I am touring it as well)
I don't remember which one is South St, but University Tower is nice and pretty cheap. It is also as close to the law school as you can possibly get. Parking blows, though, and there is some downtown area noise.

RareAir

New

Post by RareAir » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:50 pm

That south Jackson is already leased. I called yesterday, The South St. is the only 1 br that company said they had available downtown.

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:09 pm

RareAir wrote:That south Jackson is already leased. I called yesterday, The South St. is the only 1 br that company said they had available downtown.

my bad. it's north jackson (0.18 miles from 225 herty dr.) but still 795, inclusive.

and south street is that short street behind magnolia's (i think) and the lady I spoke with said the loft was located directly above some pizza place called your pie (again.... i think).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 am

blake8907 wrote: and south street is that short street behind magnolia's (i think) and the lady I spoke with said the loft was located directly above some pizza place called your pie (again.... i think).
That sounds like the best location ever.

mreid27

New

Post by mreid27 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:18 pm

SUMMER SUBLEASE IN ATH

Hey new Law Dawgs!

If anyone is looking to spend the summer in Athens, message me about subleasing. My apartment is in downtown Athens — best possible location. You'd also have access to a parking garage and a pool.

The apartment will be available from mid-May through July 31. It will be fully furnished. Either message me on TLS or call/text 860-759-0822 if you're interested.

blake8907

New

Post by blake8907 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 pm

eandy wrote:
blake8907 wrote: and south street is that short street behind magnolia's (i think) and the lady I spoke with said the loft was located directly above some pizza place called your pie (again.... i think).
That sounds like the best location ever.
ahhhhhhhh that place was leased the night before my appt to view it. I ended up only being able to see 3 places at University tower, and i checked out the exchange bc it was listed in a booklet the student bar association made as a good place to live. it was SUPER nice, but it seemed a little to undergrad and i feel like i've been there, done that... and needed to grow up ha. so i went with the loft on the 9th floor of UT with a great view, .09 miles from the law school

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:45 pm

What do y'all in the know think of around 1776 South Lumpkin St.?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dawg12

New

Post by dawg12 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 am

I'm going to live at the lodge. The apartments there are 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It's about a 5 minute drive to north campus deck, and about a 15 -20 minute walk to downtown. A lot of undergrads do live there, but when I have been there it never seems too crazy. Rent is between $450-$500 a month.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Found a place! Went with --LinkRemoved--. All new 1 bed apts, furnished options. Looking forward to it!

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:20 am

Is the meal plan mandatory for law students?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed May 23, 2012 12:14 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Is the meal plan mandatory for law students?
LOLno.
Do NOT get one. There is not a dining hall anywhere near the law school. It is also kind of pricey.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuneLSATFail

New

Post by JuneLSATFail » Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Is Dearing St. a safe enough neighborhood to be able to bike to and from the law school at nights?

dawg12

New

Post by dawg12 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm

You should be fine. Broad and Milledge are both well lit streets. Milledge is where most of the fraternities and sororities are located. At night in Athens you really just want to be aware of your surroundings at all times. You rarely hear about violent crimes done to students by non-students, and usually when that happens it is because the student was not paying attention.

ahenson7

New

Post by ahenson7 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 pm

eandy wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:Is the meal plan mandatory for law students?
LOLno.
Do NOT get one. There is not a dining hall anywhere near the law school. It is also kind of pricey.
Oh good. The email I got was very vague, so I wasn't sure. I had more than enough mandatory meal plans in undergrad. Thanks.

mxmatt137

New

Post by mxmatt137 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Checking in - I'll see everyone in Athens in August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”