Georgia Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
gregfootball2001
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Georgia Class of 2015

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Didn't find a thread, so I thought I'd start.

Going to Athens in the fall! Anyone else?

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby jabberwock12 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 am

I am! Do you already know where you are living?

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 am

yea

gregfootball2001
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:I am! Do you already know where you are living?


I have no idea where as yet. I plan on driving over (I'm in Atl currently) in May or so and look around. Any ideas?

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm coming!!
Trying to decide whether or not to do the roommate thing...

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby jabberwock12 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm

@ Greg
Well I talked to a 1L there and here is the info she gave me
-Several law students live in Dearing Gardens which is a good and affordable area here is the link http://www.joinermanagement.com
- Several people live at 909 broad which is close to the law school but expensive here is a link:
--LinkRemoved--
-Lastly a good amount of people live on Barnett Shoals RD. HTH :)
As for myself I think I'm going to do graduate housing the first year since I'm unfamiliar with Athens. $536 per month including utilities and not having to live around noisy undergrads seems like a good deal to me!

@ahenson
I think I'm going to live solo but I'm having second thoughts too. I feel like it would get ridiculously lonely. But I don't want an obnoxious roommate so I'm torn :(

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

jabberwock12 wrote:@ Greg
Well I talked to a 1L there and here is the info she gave me
-Several law students live in Dearing Gardens which is a good and affordable area here is the link http://www.joinermanagement.com
- Several people live at 909 broad which is close to the law school but expensive here is a link:
--LinkRemoved--
-Lastly a good amount of people live on Barnett Shoals RD. HTH :)
As for myself I think I'm going to do graduate housing the first year since I'm unfamiliar with Athens. $536 per month including utilities and not having to live around noisy undergrads seems like a good deal to me!

@ahenson
I think I'm going to live solo but I'm having second thoughts too. I feel like it would get ridiculously lonely. But I don't want an obnoxious roommate so I'm torn :(


Thanks for the graduate housing info... I'll definitely have to check into that! I also looked into Dearing Gardens.

Anyone know when would be the best time to sign a lease for the Fall?? I feel like I'm already behind.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby eandy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Graduate housing is awful. Don't do it.

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 pm

eandy wrote:Graduate housing is awful. Don't do it.


:(
I was hoping that would be an easy fix to the apartment search.

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby jabberwock12 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 pm

eandy wrote:Graduate housing is awful. Don't do it.


hahaha I knew you would say that eandy! But I actually like the fact that it's not right downtown because I don't want to be near drunk undergrads all the time. Also, it really doesn't seem that much more expensive than some of the off campus options...

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Yeah... looked up the graduate housing. Kinda reminds me of a public bathroom/jail cell.

And the apartment search resumes!

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby iShotFirst » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Graduate housing is kinda like a jail cell on the inside (cinder block walls), but if you are okay with that its fine. Easy bus ride to the law school or downtown. I wouldnt stay in there all three years, but I did for the first 1.5 semesters. Yes they let you break your lease pretty easily if you find something better.

Plus, cable (with HBO) and internet is included so thats kinda nice.

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby jabberwock12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:22 am

Sent in my seat deposit today!

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Me too :)
It's official!

mrsclean
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby mrsclean » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi incoming 1Ls! I'm a 2L looking for a roommate in Athens, GA.
I have a spacious 2bed, 2.5bath apartment in the Stones Creek subdivision, which is right next to the Woodlands.
This neighborhood is quiet, clean, and close to campus, and the rent is $400/month + utilities.
Please e-mail me if anyone is interested!

gregfootball2001
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:36 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Me too :)
It's official!

jabberwock12 wrote:Sent in my seat deposit today!


Congrats! Looking forward to meeting y'all.

jabberwock12 wrote:@ Greg
Well I talked to a 1L there and here is the info she gave me
-Several law students live in Dearing Gardens which is a good and affordable area here is the link http://www.joinermanagement.com
- Several people live at 909 broad which is close to the law school but expensive here is a link:
--LinkRemoved--
-Lastly a good amount of people live on Barnett Shoals RD. HTH :)
As for myself I think I'm going to do graduate housing the first year since I'm unfamiliar with Athens. $536 per month including utilities and not having to live around noisy undergrads seems like a good deal to me!


Thanks for the info! I'm looking around as well. I can't decide about the whole roommate thing - I'm a very quiet guy who might possibly kill a noisy roommate halfway through the semester. But cheaper living is nice as well. So, things to think about.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby eandy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm looking around as well. I can't decide about the whole roommate thing - I'm a very quiet guy who might possibly kill a noisy roommate halfway through the semester. But cheaper living is nice as well. So, things to think about.

You might find that living with a roommate is good--it might encourage you to be more social (if you have a tendency not to be) and it gives you someone to vent to when things get rough. Everyone has the exact same schedule 1L year, so as long as you have a law student roommate, noise probably won't be an issue. Most people I know have stuck with their original roommates.

gregfootball2001
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby gregfootball2001 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 am

eandy wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:Thanks for the info! I'm looking around as well. I can't decide about the whole roommate thing - I'm a very quiet guy who might possibly kill a noisy roommate halfway through the semester. But cheaper living is nice as well. So, things to think about.

You might find that living with a roommate is good--it might encourage you to be more social (if you have a tendency not to be) and it gives you someone to vent to when things get rough. Everyone has the exact same schedule 1L year, so as long as you have a law student roommate, noise probably won't be an issue. Most people I know have stuck with their original roommates.


My wife will be staying in Atl - so I'll be driving back there most weekends. Thus the role of 'person who gets to listen to me rant' is nicely filled. :)

But that's true regarding social activities, it's always nicer to go with someone. Really I'm thinking that it'll be easier to find a decent but inexpensive two bed than a one bed. When are people looking around and signing leases? May? June?

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby eandy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:34 pm

You should start looking now. Good places go fast.

blake8907
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby blake8907 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:44 am

accepted off the waitlist two days ago!

gregfootball2001
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:35 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:04 pm

blake8907 wrote:accepted off the waitlist two days ago!


Congrats!

ahenson7
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby ahenson7 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:36 am

Starting the apartment search this week!

Any suggestions on one bedrooms under $600ish?

blake8907
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby blake8907 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:44 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Starting the apartment search this week!

Any suggestions on one bedrooms under $600ish?

I need the same info. What's up with so many not having washer and dryer... Maybe my college town was just different.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby eandy » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:47 pm

ahenson7 wrote:Starting the apartment search this week!

Any suggestions on one bedrooms under $600ish?

Within walking distance or not?

jabberwock12
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

Re: Georgia Class of 2015

Postby jabberwock12 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 pm

blake8907 wrote:
ahenson7 wrote:Starting the apartment search this week!

Any suggestions on one bedrooms under $600ish?

I need the same info. What's up with so many not having washer and dryer... Maybe my college town was just different.

Me too! I went to visit on campus housing and realized that's not going to work for me lol




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests