University of Minnesota Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby minnbills » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm

I wholeheartedly agree- will definitely not be talking about scholarships with classmates. I don't want to know what others have either.

I am grateful for what I received, I wouldn't be going without it.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:30 pm

I had a mini-last minute "WHAT TO DO" panic when I received some surprising last minute re-offers from a couple of schools.

After much contemplation though, I've decided UMN is the place for me

See all of you in the fall

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:31 pm

woodscommaL wrote:ThreeRivers- belated condolences about the Pens playoff defeat, but get excited for gopher hockey next season.

I'm still in denial over that series :( lol

User avatar
woodscommaL
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:40 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:ThreeRivers- belated condolences about the Pens playoff defeat, but get excited for gopher hockey next season.

I'm still in denial over that series :( lol


Haha at least they didn't lose to a team that hadn't won a playoff series in like 25 years...that wound will be raw for a while.

I'm glad you're coming to the U though, you had me worried.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 pm

woodscommaL wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:ThreeRivers- belated condolences about the Pens playoff defeat, but get excited for gopher hockey next season.

I'm still in denial over that series :( lol


Haha at least they didn't lose to a team that hadn't won a playoff series in like 25 years...that wound will be raw for a while.

I'm glad you're coming to the U though, you had me worried.

I'd rather lose to some random team in Arizona than Philly :( lol

I think I knew the whole time I was going to the U... just last minute jitters. All-in though

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby minnbills » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I'd rather lose to some random team in Arizona than Philly :( lol

I think I knew the whole time I was going to the U... just last minute jitters. All-in though


Glad to hear it!

User avatar
woodscommaL
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
woodscommaL wrote:ThreeRivers- belated condolences about the Pens playoff defeat, but get excited for gopher hockey next season.

I'm still in denial over that series :( lol


Haha at least they didn't lose to a team that hadn't won a playoff series in like 25 years...that wound will be raw for a while.

I'm glad you're coming to the U though, you had me worried.

I'd rather lose to some random team in Arizona than Philly :( lol

I think I knew the whole time I was going to the U... just last minute jitters. All-in though


Confession: I kind of want Philly to win, but only because I know one of the players and it may be my only chance to touch the cup. I mean, unless my plans to marry into the NHL come to fruition.

You best be all in, I can't just whip out persuasive lists like that all the time haha

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby minnbills » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 pm

If you're looking to marry an NHLer (or a future one) living in Minnesota is probably the best first step you can take 8)

User avatar
woodscommaL
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

minnbills wrote:If you're looking to marry an NHLer (or a future one) living in Minnesota is probably the best first step you can take 8)


It's all part of the 5 year plan, already prospecting. Haha jk

jsvaughn
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby jsvaughn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:48 am

Can anyone recommend a neighborhood to live in?

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 am

jsvaughn wrote:Can anyone recommend a neighborhood to live in?


I'm from the twin cities so I can help out here. Are there any considerations you have? The immediate area is basically: stadium village, prospect park, dinkytown, como, and marcy holmes. (I would avoid the latter two- they have a high-crime reputation.)

Uptown is a bit further away but still reasonably close, and I know it's popular amongst law students.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Nova » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am

ThreeRivers wrote:I had a mini-last minute "WHAT TO DO" panic when I received some surprising last minute re-offers from a couple of schools.

After much contemplation though, I've decided UMN is the place for me

See all of you in the fall


Understandable. Glad you'll still be joining the class, too!

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Nova wrote:
minnbills wrote:
whatismylife wrote:Looks like people who got off the waitlist are getting more $$ than regular admits. Kind of wish I was WLed


I noticed the same thing :?



With out seeing the posters and stats y'all are talking about, I would guess that they are very qualified applicants who were being YPed. Either that or UMN really wants/needs some more 3.8+ or 167+ folks to commit so they can maintain their medians.

On an unrelated note,

I dont plan on bring up my scholly to other students IRL. It would likely just build animosity. One person bragged at our ASW lunch that they got a full ride but are still waiting to get off WLs at HYSCCN. Their lack of modesty was annoying. No need to disclose that info the first time you meet someone. Especially when no one asked. I think it is importaint to remember that 20% of students will recieve no scholarship and will be paying around 200k to attend. Even the many folks that got half scholarships will still be staring at nearly 100k of debt. We should all be greatful for any aid we recieve.

Lol, yea I can see it coming up in a conversation with someone I became good friends with, but randomly bragging about it to virtual strangers is :roll:

edit: Thanks for the post above this!

User avatar
Teflon_Jeff
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Looks like I'll be a Gopher in the Fall as well. I'm 99% to go there, barring something nutso happening.

So, for those of you local-ish, what's a good neighborhood to live in with a family? I am married with kids [Love and Marriage song here], the full Al Bundy so to speak, and I'm looking for cheap, murder-free neighborhoods.

Is St. Paul reasonable? Any help is gladly welcome!

I've been lurking this thread for 3 weeks now, I feel like I know you all so well!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby minnbills » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 pm

I think St. Paul is a good bet. I lived over there a few years ago and it tends to be very quiet and easy going, particularly as you get closer to Macalester and St. Thomas. Probably a good idea to have a car though.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

LST updated... I think it makes UMN look pretty good

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:57 pm

The numbers are pretty good IMO too.

72% fulltime legal employment + 14% School internships are good odds. 86%.

21% of the class get Federal Clerkships or "large firm". 1:5

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm

Nova wrote:The numbers are pretty good IMO too.

72% fulltime legal employment + 14% School internships are good odds. 86%.

21% of the class get Federal Clerkships or "large firm". 1:5

I really wouldn't add the "14% school internships as a good thing." Those are most likely just 9 month positions for kids who couldn't find a job. It states 2.5 are school funded long term.

So I guess I'd put that % at 74.5%. Regardless, it appears better than a lot of their peers

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Nova » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:47 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
Nova wrote:The numbers are pretty good IMO too.

72% fulltime legal employment + 14% School internships are good odds. 86%.

21% of the class get Federal Clerkships or "large firm". 1:5

I really wouldn't add the "14% school internships as a good thing." Those are most likely just 9 month positions for kids who couldn't find a job. It states 2.5 are school funded long term.

So I guess I'd put that % at 74.5%. Regardless, it appears better than a lot of their peers


Still, Im glad it is in place. Better than unemployment.

74.5 is legit.

youngbuck
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby youngbuck » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 am

When is everyone finalizing housing and getting to campus? I was considering getting there in late July/early August, but it's looking more and more like I'm not going to get there until just before we have to.

Also, does anyone know when we actually have to be there?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Nova » Tue May 01, 2012 2:12 am

youngbuck wrote:Also, does anyone know when we actually have to be there?


FALL SEMESTER 2012


August 28 - 31 Tuesday - Friday Orientation
September 3 Monday Labor Day Holiday
September 4 Tuesday First Day of Fall Semester

October 13 Saturday Homecoming
November 22 - 23 Thursday - Friday Thanksgiving Holiday
December 10 - 20 Fall Examination Period
http://www.law.umn.edu/news/academic_ca ... 8YvJIbJHXg

jsvaughn
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby jsvaughn » Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

minnbills wrote:
jsvaughn wrote:Can anyone recommend a neighborhood to live in?


I'm from the twin cities so I can help out here. Are there any considerations you have? The immediate area is basically: stadium village, prospect park, dinkytown, como, and marcy holmes. (I would avoid the latter two- they have a high-crime reputation.)

Uptown is a bit further away but still reasonably close, and I know it's popular amongst law students.


Thanks!

I've been looking at apartments in/near Uptown but they are expensive. I'm definitely looking to get away from the undergrad scene and would love to be within walking distance of downtown

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Nova » Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 pm

jsvaughn wrote:Thanks!

I've been looking at apartments in/near Uptown but they are expensive. I'm definitely looking to get away from the undergrad scene and would love to be within walking distance of downtown



Haha, Im the opposite. Looking to snag an UG hunny.

konar
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:17 am

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby konar » Sat May 05, 2012 2:15 am

Deposited. Looking forward to joining you all in the Fall :).

User avatar
Teflon_Jeff
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Teflon_Jeff » Sat May 05, 2012 11:03 am

Deposited.

Doing a Campus tour on May 18 at 10 a.m., if anyone wants to meet up/ Hang out on Thursday (May17) or Friday (May 18) Message me, I'm in town for a work conference.

Looking forward to meeting you all!




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest