University of Minnesota Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Alan

Re: University of Minnesota Class of 2015

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:Thanks... it was a little off-putting to be told not to post by someone... it is a forum for people who are going to Minnesota... what better place for people to talk about the school and the possibility of their going? I'm not candidly discussing the school, I'm trying to decide. And there is at least a 50% likelihood that I will end up at Minnesota at this point.

This would be the most appropriate thread for that.

Or, you could make a "choosing a law school" thread.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Alan wrote:
wallflower1987 wrote:Thanks... it was a little off-putting to be told not to post by someone... it is a forum for people who are going to Minnesota... what better place for people to talk about the school and the possibility of their going? I'm not candidly discussing the school, I'm trying to decide. And there is at least a 50% likelihood that I will end up at Minnesota at this point.

This would be the most appropriate thread for that.

Or, you could make a "choosing a law school" thread.

Right. This thread will be used for those who are for sure attending to discuss housing, etc. The back-and-forth of admissions pros and cons belongs in another section because it is frustrating for those who have chosen to attend to have to sift through the highly repetitious and drawn-on discussions they've already had. There's also thread sections entitled "Ask a Law Student" and "Choosing a school" in addition to the acceptances, wait lists and denials thread - which usually houses that discussion, it seems.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I agree to some extent, I just think it should include students likely to attend as well. I read last couple class of MN forums and once upon a time you participated in this thread stating it was were you were likely to attend.

Don't think it should be purely restricted to 100% attending but that's just my opinion (there would be about 4 posts ITT then) lol

But yea, regardless of an individuals status this should probably focus on housing / other decisions involving students planning to attend

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I agree to some extent, I just think it should include students likely to attend as well. I read last couple class of MN forums and once upon a time you participated in this thread stating it was were you were likely to attend.

Don't think it should be purely restricted to 100% attending but that's just my opinion (there would be about 4 posts ITT then) lol

But yea, regardless of an individuals status this should probably focus on housing / other decisions involving students planning to attend

Oh, i'm not disagreeing about that at all. I'm just saying the convo that has dominated has been among those who are literally 50/50. (or perhaps, it seems, even 33/33/33). That'a all.

wallflower - I've PM'd you the names of 5 current students who came to UMN with no previous UMN ties. I hope that helps.

Speaking of housing.... I know a lot of the times Uptown is suggested. I actually don't like Uptown all that much - but (just like school choice) a lot of it comes down to individual comforts and preferences.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 am

Josh, what's your take on dinkytown? I never got the chance to live there- do you think it's too much for 1L? Do you know any students who lived there and regretted it because of the noise on the weekends?

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am

As creator of this thread, I say people on the fence can post as long as the U is in their top 2, it's not a redundant and exhaustive discussion, and they are Minnesota nice about it.

MidwestJosh wrote:
Speaking of housing.... I know a lot of the times Uptown is suggested. I actually don't like Uptown all that much - but (just like school choice) a lot of it comes down to individual comforts and preferences.

About housing, would you recommend Elliott Park? I've been looking online at condos on Portland and they look nice but I've never been in that area before.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am

minnbills wrote:Josh, what's your take on dinkytown? I never got the chance to live there- do you think it's too much for 1L? Do you know any students who lived there and regretted it because of the noise on the weekends?

I know several in Dinkytown who love it. I personally couldn't handle it anymore, but I was in a fraternity in undergrad and was worn out of that scene. A slightly better and very near area is along 4th and university on the other side of 35 from Dinkytown. Same prices, almost just as close, but quieter and more of a mix of grad students and undergrads.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am

woodscommaL wrote:
About housing, would you recommend Elliott Park? I've been looking online at condos on Portland and they look nice but I've never been in that area before.

Excellent area. But I like North Loop and Laurel Village/Loring Park better

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 am

I can't speak to dinkytown, but I'm nearby in stadium village/prospect park. The bus is super convenient. It's a 10 minute bus ride, 15 minute bike ride, or 25 minte walk to school. No noise issues here.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:17 am

geoduck wrote:I can't speak to dinkytown, but I'm nearby in stadium village/prospect park. The bus is super convenient. It's a 10 minute bus ride, 15 minute bike ride, or 25 minte walk to school. No noise issues here.

I lived there during 1L, geo! I liked it as well.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 pm

The National Jurist gives UMN an, "A" in employment transparency: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... ex.php#/20

AD10390

Postby AD10390 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Waiting on two more replies but currently UMN is the front runner for where I will end up this fall. Hoping to visit for ASW April 13-14.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 am

Quick question, I've been looking at apartments in the downtown area. My fiance will likely be working right downtown and we will likely want a place that's a little nicer than your typical college dwelling. Our take on it is if law school is gonna be stressful, home should be a breath of fresh air. So far the best areas for nicest places with decent prices seem like North Loop, Loring Park and Uptown/Calhoun area. Can anyone recommend any buildings that are really nice/any other websites besides rent.com and craigslist to find listings?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 am

Jaeger wrote:Quick question, I've been looking at apartments in the downtown area. My fiance will likely be working right downtown and we will likely want a place that's a little nicer than your typical college dwelling. Our take on it is if law school is gonna be stressful, home should be a breath of fresh air. So far the best areas for nicest places with decent prices seem like North Loop, Loring Park and Uptown/Calhoun area. Can anyone recommend any buildings that are really nice/any other websites besides rent.com and craigslist to find listings?

There is a really cool building on the north side of Loring that I had my eye on... I think it was Eitel. I ended up choosing my place before checking it out, but it seemed to have most of the features/fixtures I was used to in my 2009 high rise apartment back in Seattle.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 am

geoduck wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Quick question, I've been looking at apartments in the downtown area. My fiance will likely be working right downtown and we will likely want a place that's a little nicer than your typical college dwelling. Our take on it is if law school is gonna be stressful, home should be a breath of fresh air. So far the best areas for nicest places with decent prices seem like North Loop, Loring Park and Uptown/Calhoun area. Can anyone recommend any buildings that are really nice/any other websites besides rent.com and craigslist to find listings?

There is a really cool building on the north side of Loring that I had my eye on... I think it was Eitel. I ended up choosing my place before checking it out, but it seemed to have most of the features/fixtures I was used to in my 2009 high rise apartment back in Seattle.

Yeah, considering that one. Looks pretty pricey compared to some others but looks like it offers a lot.

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I live in Wilson Park Tower in Laurel Village. I have an amazing view, it's a great building, and I love the amenities.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Don't forget to check ApartmentRatings.com if you're looking for anything upscale. Well, you should probably check it just plain to make sure something isn't a complete craphole. But once you're looking to put some money down on an apartment, that website is a great way to separate places that are expensive because they're awesome and places that are just expensive.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:56 am

Hey everybody, I'm back! Haha I am now more like 99% sure I am coming to Minnesota in the fall. I am looking at housing to get a feel for where I might want to live, when I should apply for the lease, etc. It is really hard to come look much before I actually show up in the fall, so most of my "looking around" will be online. I will probably come up before I sign a lease, but that said, I can't exactly come to the school and then look at 200 apartments in a day. So...

I'm definitely thinking either uptown or dinkytown based on what I've read. I do want to be really close to the school, and my priority is to keep it fairly cheap (no exact range, and probably not DIRT cheap, just don't want to pay for a view, etc, necessarily... maybe $800- if I can). I would like a 1BR but would consider a studio if it made sense. Anybody have any property names I should check out? People who are really familiar with Minneapolis will obviously be the most helpful.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:53 am

Here are some in dinkytown, I'm not really familiar with uptown though:

--LinkRemoved--
http://go4studenthousing.com/
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.northstarsf.com/

aten2080

Postby aten2080 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm starting to look into possible places to live and I'm leaning towards either Dinkytown (since it's relatively cheap) or anywhere really close to the law school (like seven corners). It's going to either be cheap housing farther away from the school or more expensive housing a block or two away from the law school. I'm currently looking for roommates so if anyone is interested message me.

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Hey everyone; I was just looking for places to live today, and I'm leaving for class now, but this is a site that has quite a few places within a couple miles of campus... mostly 1.5-4.5 miles. I have a car so it doesn't make THAT much sense to pay extra for location for me at this point, I don't think... I was looking at this site, though: --LinkRemoved--

I do not know if they are really reputable, but their prices seem WAY more reasonable than what I'm seeing that is mentioned by the school or right next to it. At this point, I'm leaning toward cheap away from campus.

If anybody has thoughts on the wisdom of this (is parking insane, is traffic ridiculous?) let me know, because I don't know yet! Hope this is helpful for some, and that others can advise me on what 4.5 miles is commute wise. I live in a small town now, but I am still a 5-10 minute drive from my school, so that doesn't bother me. Unless 5 miles is apt to be 45 minutes, I don't care.

Later!

Alan

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:53 pm

wallflower1987 wrote:Hey everybody, I'm back! Haha I am now more like 99% sure I am coming to Minnesota in the fall.

Welcome aboard!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

Officially throwing my hat in the ring!!!

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 pm

minnbills wrote:Officially throwing my hat in the ring!!!

Congrats!

Its looking more and more likely that I will be doing the same soon

woodscommaL

Postby woodscommaL » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 pm

minnbills wrote:Officially throwing my hat in the ring!!!

hooray! :)

ThreeRivers wrote:Congrats!

Its looking more and more likely that I will be doing the same soon

doooo it! :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”