University of Miami - Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
wobwob

New

Re: University of Miami - Class of 2015

Post by wobwob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:59 pm

alknj2015 wrote:Since we're on the topic of housing, I just visited the campus and met with a real estate agent last week. The rental process takes over a month. For instance, looking now would almost be too late for a May 1st move in. The agent told me that looking for an apartment for July 1st is much easier than August 1st. I agree with the Kendall idea. You get much more for your money than say Coral Gables or Brickell. Anyway, I loved the campus and the surrounding area. Coming back to Jersey was very depressing - where are the palm trees???
I'm thinking about using a real estate agent. Do you feel that it was helpful in your housing search? Would you recommend the agent you used?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Prospect wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
MTBike wrote:$1000 a person seems expensive to me... but i guess im used to living where there is a super low COL. So maybe not.
$1000 in Miami is average. I wouldn't expect to live somewhere decent in Miami for less than that.
I'm not sure if you caught it or not but I was speaking on $1000 for just renting a room out with roommates. That's average?
Just about, yes.

alknj2015

New

Post by alknj2015 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

MTBike wrote:
alknj2015 wrote:Since we're on the topic of housing, I just visited the campus and met with a real estate agent last week. The rental process takes over a month. For instance, looking now would almost be too late for a May 1st move in. The agent told me that looking for an apartment for July 1st is much easier than August 1st. I agree with the Kendall idea. You get much more for your money than say Coral Gables or Brickell. Anyway, I loved the campus and the surrounding area. Coming back to Jersey was very depressing - where are the palm trees???
So in your oppinion, Kendall is a good place to live?
From what I've heard, yes. I haven't visited the area yet. It seems somewhat close to the school (20 min. or so) and inexpensive for the area. The agent said he lived there and it's pretty quiet. I'll be back down in May to check out the neighborhood.

alknj2015

New

Post by alknj2015 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm

wobwob wrote:
I'm thinking about using a real estate agent. Do you feel that it was helpful in your housing search? Would you recommend the agent you used?
I just started my search and by that I mean I walked into an agency and spoke to an agent for 20 minutes. He hasn't done much for me yet so I don't want to recommend him. From what he said, however, that agents can get you the best deal and can often negotiate prices. They also know which areas are better and also know which mgmt. companies are reputable. There is no fee either, which is great. I'd recommend it but I'll have a better idea once I'm in the thick of apartment hunting.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:14 pm

alknj2015 wrote:
wobwob wrote:
I just started my search and by that I mean I walked into an agency and spoke to an agent for 20 minutes. He hasn't done much for me yet so I don't want to recommend him. From what he said, however, that agents can get you the best deal and can often negotiate prices. They also know which areas are better and also know which mgmt. companies are reputable. There is no fee either, which is great. I'd recommend it but I'll have a better idea once I'm in the thick of apartment hunting.
Yeah my fiance has spoken to a few realtors over the phone... its nice that they dont charge for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alknj2015

New

Post by alknj2015 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:35 pm

MTBike wrote:
alknj2015 wrote:
wobwob wrote:
Yeah my fiance has spoken to a few realtors over the phone... its nice that they dont charge for it.
Definitely a bonus! I'm still nervous/anxious/dying inside about not working and living off loans. Rents run the gamut in Miami so I hope my realtor can get me the most for my money. I'm hoping to get into the summer program (like everyone else I'm sure) so I can use my weekends down there to find a place.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:59 pm

alknj2015 wrote:Definitely a bonus! I'm still nervous/anxious/dying inside about not working and living off loans. Rents run the gamut in Miami so I hope my realtor can get me the most for my money. I'm hoping to get into the summer program (like everyone else I'm sure) so I can use my weekends down there to find a place.
You and me both... It makes me nervous to live off loans, but that's part of it I guess. That summer program would be awesome but im not sure how keen alot of people are about giving up their last summer of freedom before they go through 3 years of hell.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:16 am

Has anyone paid their deposit yet? Or at least the 1st one?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 am

Big Reason to attend Miami Law

Mary Anne Franks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wobwob

New

Post by wobwob » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Anyone attend the admitted students day or housing day? Anything important worth knowing?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:17 pm

wobwob wrote:Anyone attend the admitted students day or housing day? Anything important worth knowing?
I second this question.... also, any sweet SWAG?

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:22 pm

wobwob wrote:Anyone attend the admitted students day or housing day? Anything important worth knowing?
They video taped and plan to put on the internet the major sessions. I assume Miami Law will delete or cut out the portion where an admitted student decided to challenge a Rhodes Scholar etc about the law. He started his argument by saying that he didn't know anything about the subject but he just liked to argue. All I could think of that , is that if they accept students like that, maybe Miami isn't for me.

You missed the lunch with the alumni and dinner with the Professors.

Oh, yeah, and there is very very few jobs and a large percentage of the students are hired by Miami Law to work in meaningless (my take) jobs when they graduate.

Also, expect at least a 10% increase in tuition.

The chicken was dry but the fruit was very fresh.

And if I go to Miami Law, my goal will be to take as many classes as possible from Mary Anne Franks.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:12 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Oh, yeah, and there is very very few jobs and a large percentage of the students are hired by Miami Law to work in meaningless (my take) jobs when they graduate.
Where did you get this information?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

MTBike wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

Recent graduates from Miami Law at the ASD. Giving tours etc.

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
MTBike wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote:

Recent graduates from Miami Law at the ASD. Giving tours etc.
Actually those were student ambassadors that are current law students at the University, not graduates.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Prospect wrote:
PolySuyGuy wrote: Recent graduates from Miami Law at the ASD. Giving tours etc.
Actually those were student ambassadors that are current law students at the University, not graduates.

Not mine. In fact, according to the Miami Herald, U of Miami hires 9% of their graduates.

--LinkRemoved--

DC818

New

Post by DC818 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Visited Miami a few days ago and was fairly impressed. Likely headed to UM, looking forward to it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:36 am

recently accepted and very interested in attending, however, I believe Miami does not have any on campus housing for law school. I def should have applied earlier because now i missed the ASW and wont be able to visit before the deposit is due, but I plan to visit in a few weeks.

Can anyone give me insight into the housing situation? What apartments do most law students live? etc.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:26 pm

oleosmirf wrote:Can anyone give me insight into the housing situation? What apartments do most law students live? etc.

During ASD, the law school rented some buses and took us around to the housing areas. Our guide was a real estate "whatever". We were told to go through a housing company to find housing. The student ambassadors agreed. The real estate company was Empire Real Estate. I would suggest calling them and getting the information from them. They repeatedly told us that they handle a lot of the law students.

DC818

New

Post by DC818 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:43 am

Bump? :mrgreen:

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

DC818 wrote:Bump? :mrgreen:
Worth it... I'm just waiting to move down now!! Not much else to do

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Got my place and have started taking trips weekly to move stuff in and get a feel for the area, I love it! Now I just have to finish up these last two weeks of school and then I'm going to make the move.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Prospect wrote:Got my place and have started taking trips weekly to move stuff in and get a feel for the area, I love it! Now I just have to finish up these last two weeks of school and then I'm going to make the move.
Are you paying rent down there already? i'm trying not to pay rent til August 1st.

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:56 pm

MTBike wrote:
Prospect wrote:Got my place and have started taking trips weekly to move stuff in and get a feel for the area, I love it! Now I just have to finish up these last two weeks of school and then I'm going to make the move.
Are you paying rent down there already? i'm trying not to pay rent til August 1st.

Yea I'm already paying rent unfortunately. One of the more sought after properties had a unit open which is exceptionally rare I was told by many so I jumped on it. Within walking distance to school and in a good area, I'm happy with it.

What I was told is that if I waited until august more units will be available but rates would spike about 200/mo. From that I figured if I was going to pay an extra 200/mo in august I would be paying the same annually as I would if I started now at $200 cheaper except I would get two free months. It's pretty complicated but my recommendation would be to start now, the process is more tedious than I expected it to be.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Prospect wrote:
MTBike wrote:

Yea I'm already paying rent unfortunately. One of the more sought after properties had a unit open which is exceptionally rare I was told by many so I jumped on it. Within walking distance to school and in a good area, I'm happy with it.

What I was told is that if I waited until august more units will be available but rates would spike about 200/mo. From that I figured if I was going to pay an extra 200/mo in august I would be paying the same annually as I would if I started now at $200 cheaper except I would get two free months. It's pretty complicated but my recommendation would be to start now, the process is more tedious than I expected it to be.
Yeah I contacted a Realtor a few weeks back, but she told me I/she couldn't really secure anything until around May.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”