Florida State University - Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
noleknight16

Silver

Florida State University - Class of 2015

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Congrats to everyone on getting into FSU :)

Who is planning on attending? I will post more information as we go.

Admitted Students Day - Friday, March 23, 2012

Checklist for 1st Year Students:

1. Seat Depost ($200 by April 15)
2. Decision Statement (April 15)
3. Residency Form (April 15)
4. Official Transcripts
5. Proof of Health Insurance
6. Address Change Form

Cost of Attendance: http://financialaid.fsu.edu/apply/cost_law.html
FSU c/o 2015 Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/FSULawClassOf2015/

Where to Live:
--ImageRemoved--

Employment Data:

Last edited by noleknight16 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Re: Florida State University - Class of 2015

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Are you most likely going??

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Are you most likely going??
Yeah, more than likely. Gotta hear from SMU, Richmond, and the final decision from W&L, but Tallahassee is my likely destination.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:33 pm

How long did you all wait to receive a decision? My app just went complete yesterday.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:27 pm

rglifberg wrote:How long did you all wait to receive a decision? My app just went complete yesterday.
I am pretty sure this thread is intended for those who have decided they're attending FSU Law and have committed for this coming fall. You'll want to look for info re: FSU's application process in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=25

But FSU reviews based on strength, so some people have waited two weeks for a decision, while others have waited 5-6 months. It's pretty late in the cycle, so there may be some variation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 am

Dream Machine wrote:
rglifberg wrote:How long did you all wait to receive a decision? My app just went complete yesterday.
I am pretty sure this thread is intended for those who have decided they're attending FSU Law and have committed for this coming fall. You'll want to look for info re: FSU's application process in this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=25

But FSU reviews based on strength, so some people have waited two weeks for a decision, while others have waited 5-6 months. It's pretty late in the cycle, so there may be some variation.
Oh, my bad. Congrats to you all. Hopefully I will be joining you all.

MellowMantis

New

Post by MellowMantis » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:51 pm

In! visiting on the weekend of the 23rd for the ASW/open house. Who else is going?

William1637

New

Post by William1637 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm

MellowMantis wrote:In! visiting on the weekend of the 23rd for the ASW/open house. Who else is going?
I will be going with some of my friends. Does anyone really know that much about FSU?

wbbguy

New

Post by wbbguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 am

I applied to FSU in the middle of December and got an acceptance call in the beginning of January (roughly 3 weeks). They were very nice on the phone and everyone I have had contact with at the college has been extremely helpful and welcoming.

A day after I got the call, I received an email inviting me to apply for a scholarship; by February 16 (about a month after being accepted) I received a scholarship package in the mail. I only applied to a few schools, UF included, but I still am on the 'pending' list for UF and don't expect to receive any scholarship aid. Between the two, I was looking at sticker UF if I was accepted or a practically free ride at FSU. I attended the ASD in February, which confirmed that FSU would be a good choice for me.

The new facilities are very nice and spacious, and the original buildings are not bad either. The classrooms are comfortable, the faculty that was there was very engaging. I didn't get a sense of snobbishness from anyone (students and faculty). The dean seemed a tad unconventional, but that is not always a bad thing. The open door policy where professors encourage the students to engage outside of class was stressed and it seemed that a lot of opportunities would be available in and out of the class environment. The 2Ls and 3Ls all shared stories of a collegiate atmosphere, and explained how the students tended to work together rather than compete for the best rank. All in all, the quality of education combined with the advantageous proximity of the law school makes me excited to attend FSU; though different schools have different programs, at the core level I don't think I will be missing out on anything another law school offers.

I'd recommend visiting the school on ASD, take the tour and get a feel for the city itself. I combined the ASD with the opportunity to look for housing, of which there are a lot of options for students. I'm excited to meet all of the new 1Ls, it's going to be an interesting 3 years, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:30 pm

I'm looking for 2-3 male roommates in the fall. Looking at Victoria Grand and Campus Circle apartments, but completely down for a condo like Cloisters or Tallahassee Center.
Last edited by noleknight16 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berto24

New

Post by berto24 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

I'll be at ASD on the 23rd. Also, I went to FSU for undergrad, and I have 3 siblings that live in Tallahassee, so if anyone has questions about the school or Tallahassee, let me know.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm

I will also likely be attending FSU this fall. Currently exploring my housing options.

Does anyone know of any admitted student events besides the one coming up on the 23rd? I am working that day and unable to attend. I went by the school this weekend but I really want the guided tour to get a better look at things. For example, the picture the OP posted looks great, but is that part of the law school? I didn't see a view like that anywhere when driving by this past weekend.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 am

JerichoJohnny wrote:I will also likely be attending FSU this fall. Currently exploring my housing options.

Does anyone know of any admitted student events besides the one coming up on the 23rd? I am working that day and unable to attend. I went by the school this weekend but I really want the guided tour to get a better look at things. For example, the picture the OP posted looks great, but is that part of the law school? I didn't see a view like that anywhere when driving by this past weekend.
The building in the picture is the law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:46 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
JerichoJohnny wrote:I will also likely be attending FSU this fall. Currently exploring my housing options.

The building in the picture is the law school.
I guess I just didn't see it from that angle. I only saw it in passing, so it's no wonder I didn't recognize it. Received my admit packet a few days ago. Definitely getting excited about FSU Class of 2015!

MellowMantis

New

Post by MellowMantis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

If anyone is going to the admitted students day tomorrow and wants to grab a beer I'm staying at aloft, send me a pm.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:31 pm

ashleyadpi

New

Post by ashleyadpi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Everyone, I will see you in the fall! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thebpac

New

Post by thebpac » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Seat deposit paid! Can't wait to finish this semester and move to tallahassee.

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:55 pm

My seat deposit is paid as well! Looks like I'm going to have to adjust to being a Seminole. I didn't go to a SEC or ACC UG but I grew up a Gator fan. It's going to be a weird adjustment, but since I have real ties to UF it's garnet and gold for me from now on!

Now that the application process is drawing to a close I'm bringing my focus to bear on more worldly concerns, namely getting my financial situation figured out, securing housing, and considering how much prep work I want to do to curb my anxiety and (hopefully) get me ready for the rigors of being a 1L.

lawyermom

New

Post by lawyermom » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi everyone! I'm an FSU Law Alum, and I loved my time there. The professors are great, the students are very friendly, and the atmosphere is welcoming and helpful. Also the administration really cares for its students and has an open door policy. Since I'm sure lots of you are looking for housing I wanted to post that I rent out a townhouse in Tallahassee that I used while in law school. It is currently occupied by law students. It is only a few minutes from campus but far enough away so that you don't have to deal with undergrad partiers when trying to study. 2 bed 2 1/2 bath. If interested email me at jenmenen@yahoo.com.
Good luck everyone!

Mattfl88

Bronze

Post by Mattfl88 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm currently finishing up my 1L year at FSU. I just wanted to say Congratulations! You've made a great choice choosing Florida State. If you have any questions about FSU Law/Tallahassee feel free to ask.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 pm

beachy

New

Post by beachy » Wed May 16, 2012 8:03 am

Mattfl88 wrote:I'm currently finishing up my 1L year at FSU. I just wanted to say Congratulations! You've made a great choice choosing Florida State. If you have any questions about FSU Law/Tallahassee feel free to ask.
I spent a lot of time in tally during undergrad even though i went to uf and it was one huge, dirty party town. Where/what do the law school (read: older) people do for fun?

JerichoJohnny

Bronze

Post by JerichoJohnny » Wed May 16, 2012 7:09 pm

beachy wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:I'm currently finishing up my 1L year at FSU. I just wanted to say Congratulations! You've made a great choice choosing Florida State. If you have any questions about FSU Law/Tallahassee feel free to ask.
I spent a lot of time in tally during undergrad even though i went to uf and it was one huge, dirty party town. Where/what do the law school (read: older) people do for fun?
I am a recently committed FSU 0L from the Florida Panhandle. I'm not super familiar with the city, but I can tell you that the area around Tallahassee abounds with opportunities for fun beyond partying and boozing. There are tons of hiking trails, waterways, and state parks/forests in the immediate vicinity. The Gulf of Mexico, including the best beaches on the planet (Panama City Beach) are just a couple of hours away. Me? I'm from west of Tallahassee, so I'm looking forward to being closer to Jacksonville and Orlando. My favorite sports team is playing the Jaguars this year, so hopefully I can make it to the game.

Now, as for me, now that I am committed, I've begun my search for a residence in earnest. I'm a non-traditional student (i.e. working for a few years since undergrad) in a committed relationship, so I'm mainly looking for a single family home. Does anyone have any leads on trustworthy property management companies or reliable listings to peruse outside of the usual zillow / craiglist / newspaper?

kalisinclair

New

Post by kalisinclair » Wed May 23, 2012 12:44 am

Hi everyone, can't wait to meet you all in the fall! :D I've only visited Tallahassee once but I've heard that Bullwinkle's, Wine Room, and Level 8 have older crowds. I was also warned to stay to the NE of the campus (pretty much away from FAMU), to get out during their homecoming weekend, and to not walk alone at night. Anyone else have any information on living there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”