Loyola Law School Los Angeles Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Loyola Law School Los Angeles Class of 2015

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 am

soxandthecity wrote:Downtown can be expensive. I'd agree that mid-Wilshire is a great choice, slightly less expensive, cool area, and really convenient to campus. Loyolans live all over though.
Bolded is ridiculously true. Pasadena, Northridge, Santa Monica, Culver, Long Beach, WeHo, Brentwood, Ktown, DTLA, Lil' Tokyo. It's all what you're comfortable with.

jlien2

New

Post by jlien2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:50 am

soxandthecity wrote:Downtown can be expensive. I'd agree that mid-Wilshire is a great choice, slightly less expensive, cool area, and really convenient to campus. Loyolans live all over though.
thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into it.
:)

kaltopee

New

Post by kaltopee » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 pm

hello potential future classmates,

i'd like to know your thoughts on attending loyola at sticker price. i'm on that same priority list that some others have mentioned but in the event that i'm not awarded any money, do you think loyola is worth attending at sticker? it's my top choice, i'd like to practice in the area and all that but its quite a large amount of debt to take on.

does anyone know if there is a shot at getting money if you do well after your first year?

is anyone else planning on attending at sticker?

thanks for any comments!

sjspinuzzi

New

Post by sjspinuzzi » Tue May 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Looking for a roommate?

I have decided to attend Loyola Law School. Big shock right, being on this blog and all. I am looking for a roommate, male or female, but you must be cool with living with a female. I would prefer to find a roommate who 1.) Loves the beach 2.) Is respectful 3.) Not crazy

If you meet these three requirements you should post a reply! Also, I'm poor, so if you want to pay rent on the upwards of $1,000 and live in the Medici... find someone else!

Icanhazlawschool?

New

Post by Icanhazlawschool? » Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm

A
Last edited by Icanhazlawschool? on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lalalaw2012

New

Post by Lalalaw2012 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:56 pm

^^ I normally just read these forums but HAD to let you know that Culver City would be a pretty intense bike commute five days a week... In my opinion, if you're looking to bike, you're a lot better of staying central, mid-LA. Mid-Wilshire is probably the most cost effective area if you want to bike or use the metro/bus system.

TyrionLannister

Bronze

Post by TyrionLannister » Fri May 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Currently driving down PCH in LA behind a shiny, black convertible Maserati with a Loyola Law School license plate holder. As cliche as it sounds, there is a chick riding shotgun, presumably a hot one. Can't tell from here.

Just thought incoming 1Ls would appreciate that image.

Guizar

New

Post by Guizar » Sat May 12, 2012 4:19 am

Accepted.

Primarily here looking for a roommate(s). I do not mind if you are a guy or a girl, just attitude/experience living out of your mother's home comes first (don't want to be raising children). I am primary flexible in choosing where to live, and have been living on my own for a while (5 years), looking for someone studious yet outgoing preferably. But again, attitude/experience is priority. Will be looking for a room up until mid July, let me know guys (shoot me a pm) and congrats to everyone! :)

-Joel

acm2015

New

Post by acm2015 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi all! Has anyone who was on the priority scholarship list received news from Loyola yet? Or does anyone know if they are still in the process of awarding money? Thanks in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:40 pm

acm2015 wrote:Hi all! Has anyone who was on the priority scholarship list received news from Loyola yet? Or does anyone know if they are still in the process of awarding money? Thanks in advance.
i heard on wednesday via snail mail, 32k/yr

kaltopee

New

Post by kaltopee » Sun May 13, 2012 2:37 am

acm2015 wrote:Hi all! Has anyone who was on the priority scholarship list received news from Loyola yet? Or does anyone know if they are still in the process of awarding money? Thanks in advance.
i heard this past week via snail mail..32k as well

anne922

New

Post by anne922 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:28 pm

What priority scholarship list are you referring to?

Kroubles

New

Post by Kroubles » Tue May 15, 2012 1:31 pm

hey you guys, im from la and i plan on going here. Just a tip for those looking for housing. Korea town is probably your best bet for the cheapest and closest living situation

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anne922

New

Post by anne922 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:34 pm

what would you guys say is the average rent for a studio in LA? I know this varies very widely, i'm not looking for an exact number more just a range. i'm about to rent starting in a couple of days and i just want to make sure i'm paying an average amount.

also, i'm new to the LA area so if anyone is here or will be here this summer and wants to get together with future Loyola students let me know and we can figure something out!

Lalalaw2012

New

Post by Lalalaw2012 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:23 pm

In my experience, a studio can be anywhere between $700-$1200, depending on location, amenities, size and whatnot. A lot of times, studios include all utilities so keep that in mind as you figure out your rental rate!

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:04 pm

kaltopee wrote:hello potential future classmates,

i'd like to know your thoughts on attending loyola at sticker price. i'm on that same priority list that some others have mentioned but in the event that i'm not awarded any money, do you think loyola is worth attending at sticker? it's my top choice, i'd like to practice in the area and all that but its quite a large amount of debt to take on.

does anyone know if there is a shot at getting money if you do well after your first year?

is anyone else planning on attending at sticker?

thanks for any comments!
I came to Loyola at sticker. Getting a scholarship is apparently automatic if you're in the top 10% of the class your 1L year. I'm expecting to hit or significantly exceed that goal but only time will tell since grades have not been released. For most students, I do not think that Loyola should be paid sticker (NOTE: this is assuming you don't already from a background of money where it really doesn't matter. but if taking out full loans for it, seriously reconsider).

That being said, it is extremely stressful and very tough to bank on being in the top 10% for scholarship consideration. I wouldn't necessarily suggest people do it unless they seriously have the drive and motivation to put in the requisite time (10-12+ Hrs per day, every day, including a good part of winter+ spring break). If you have other offers with scholarships seriously consider those as well.

seaguy2010

New

Post by seaguy2010 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:06 pm

TyrionLannister wrote:Currently driving down PCH in LA behind a shiny, black convertible Maserati with a Loyola Law School license plate holder. As cliche as it sounds, there is a chick riding shotgun, presumably a hot one. Can't tell from here.

Just thought incoming 1Ls would appreciate that image.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Be sure to check the employment statistics before jumping to any causal conclusions. Judging from the students' cars in the Loyola parking garage, there is a good chance that the driver's parents purchased that car for him.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sandaltan

Bronze

Post by sandaltan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:22 pm

sup newbies!

congrats on the acceptance letters. I'm a 2L at LLS and I'm here to shamelessly plug that I'm selling my books from 1L :)

if you buy new/used from the campus bookstore, you are a sucker who hates money. fact.

here's what i got, which you probably need.

Core Casebooks:

Torts

Tort Law and Alternatives (Franklin), 9th Edition: $140

(brand fucking new - i didnt write, highlight or underline a single thing).

Tort Law and Alternatives (Franklin), 8th edition: $40

(pretty standard used condition - some writing/highlighting/underlining. Previous editions give the same content, but the publishers change the orders of the chapters/page numbers and add/delete 1 or two pages each new cycle because they're money hoarding bastards. Totally usable if you don't mind the pain of matching up proper page numbers with your reading schedule.

Property:

Property, (Dukeminier), 7th Edition: $100

(Brand fucking new - i didnt write, highlight or underline a single thing).

Criminal Law

Criminal Law and Its Processes (Kadish), 8th edition: $80

(Standard used condition - some writing, underlining and highlighting).

The Bluebook, 2nd edition and Understanding and Mastering the Bluebook, together: $50

(Brand effing new).

Writing and Analysis in the Law (Shapo): $20

(Brand new).

Supplements, the real text books of law school

(all in brand-new condition, no writing/highlighting/underlining whatsoever unless otherwise noted).

Examples & Explanations (E&Es)

Civil Procedure, 6th edition: $30
Contracts, 5th edition: $30
Property, 3rd edition: $30
Intellectual Property (an 2nd semester elective option for you 1Ls): $30

Emanuel Law Outlines

Torts, 9th edition: $30
Property, 7th edition, keyed to Dukeminier 7th edition: $30

Misc

Gilbert Law Summary, Property (Krier): $30
Hornbook, Civil Procedure, 4th edition (Friedenthal): $30
Contracts, 4th edition (Farnsworth): $30

feel free to PM me or shoot me a text (951) 501-9813. I live in the miracle mile/mid wilshire area. I'd be happy to answer any questions about LLS too :)

Enjoy your summer!!

-marc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”