American 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
futurejdgirl

Bronze

American 2015

Post by futurejdgirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Who is seriously considering putting down a deposit, visiting, etc... anyone receive scholarship information yet?

loblaw016

New

Re: American 2015

Post by loblaw016 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 am

futurejdgirl wrote:Who is seriously considering putting down a deposit, visiting, etc... anyone receive scholarship information yet?
If I get scholarship I'm pretty sure I'd go. Don't know how I'd afford it otherwise

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 am

loblaw016 wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:Who is seriously considering putting down a deposit, visiting, etc... anyone receive scholarship information yet?
If I get scholarship I'm pretty sure I'd go. Don't know how I'd afford it otherwise
I'm in a simillar boat.

I am an admitted PT applicant, and I will be attending the 3/27 accepted students event. Anyone else going?

Also, is there a facebook page for admitted applicants? I feel like that would be helpful for people who are trying to find roommates or want to connect with classmates before school starts. Brooke Sandoval explained that students also utilize the web portal to meet people and find roommates. AU also hosts a "housing day/visit/event" (I cannot recall how this event was referenced) where the school has a bus tour to educate prospective students on good places to live while attending school.

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

z0rk wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:
I'm in a simillar boat.

I am an admitted PT applicant, and I will be attending the 3/27 accepted students event. Anyone else going?

Also, is there a facebook page for admitted applicants? I feel like that would be helpful for people who are trying to find roommates or want to connect with classmates before school starts. Brooke Sandoval explained that students also utilize the web portal to meet people and find roommates. AU also hosts a "housing day/visit/event" (I cannot recall how this event was referenced) where the school has a bus tour to educate prospective students on good places to live while attending school.

I'll be at the 3/23 event. has anyone here gotten scholarship or any finaid info back?

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm

Im anxiously waiting for any financial aid information. Although I love American, if I'm supposed to put down a deposit a month from now, I should have time to look over how I can possibly afford your school. Grrr. :x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Just FYI, I called the Financial Aid Office and was told that need based grants, loans, the whole financial aid package will be sent out last week of March.

choccup

New

Post by choccup » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Do you guys have any information about non-apartment housing? I am aware of the AU-owned dorm complexes and the apartment buildings in the area (Archstone, etc.). However, it seems like renting a house (with several roommates) midway between WCL and Tenleytown Metro might be a better arrangement. The housing packet doesn't seem to have much info - do you guys know anything about this?

andrew643

New

Post by andrew643 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:14 pm

The best way to do this would be to search online or just walk around the area. I go to AU undergrad and this is how I've done housing down here. The buildings are really nice, but expensive and usually only have 2 bedrooms. I would go with the house also. DC is also super easy to get around in, so don't be afraid of looking at places on the Metro or Bus lines.

MG88

New

Post by MG88 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 pm

American is my #1 but not knowing the $$ situation is killing me! Is anyone attending the LA Alumni reception April 12th?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 pm

andrew643 wrote:The best way to do this would be to search online or just walk around the area. I go to AU undergrad and this is how I've done housing down here. The buildings are really nice, but expensive and usually only have 2 bedrooms. I would go with the house also. DC is also super easy to get around in, so don't be afraid of looking at places on the Metro or Bus lines.

A few good resources are http://www.padmapper.com and http://www.hotpads.com. I also believe trulia.com has a crime map which shots "heat zones" for crime if that is something you are interested in investigating. However, tanleytown, van ness, and the area immediately around the school are pretty darn safe.

eringobragh

New

Post by eringobragh » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:04 pm

futurejdgirl wrote:Just FYI, I called the Financial Aid Office and was told that need based grants, loans, the whole financial aid package will be sent out last week of March.
Thanks for the info [in the same boat]. The right school at the wrong price...

choccup

New

Post by choccup » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info re: housing. I found a handful of rooms for rent on those sites, but not yet anything that matches what I need.

If anyone is looking for a similar arrangement (3-4 bedroom house between WCL and Tenleytown Metro), send me a message and maybe we can find a place together. I am male if that matters. I currently live in D.C.

bwol

New

Post by bwol » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Is anyone going to the admitted student event on March 23rd. Im trying to decide if I want to go, which I need to decide in the next couple days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:45 pm

checking in....hoping to get scholarship info soon to actually start thinking it's a possibility, if not, it would be hard to justify the price tag and COL given my circumstances.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:56 am

is anyone visiting soon? i'll be there in april (not the admitted students weekend but before) because I want to see what I'll be getting myself into before shelling out $900 :shock: Any advice on what to expect?

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 am

futurejdgirl wrote:is anyone visiting soon? i'll be there in april (not the admitted students weekend but before) because I want to see what I'll be getting myself into before shelling out $900 :shock: Any advice on what to expect?

I will be there on 3/27 (next Tuesday) for the evening students accepted students day. I visited the school a few weeks ago for a tour, info session, and class visit and I liked what I saw. AU is at the top of my list, and I am eager to meet my potential future peers.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:33 am

z0rk wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:is anyone visiting soon? i'll be there in april (not the admitted students weekend but before) because I want to see what I'll be getting myself into before shelling out $900 :shock: Any advice on what to expect?

I will be there on 3/27 (next Tuesday) for the evening students accepted students day. I visited the school a few weeks ago for a tour, info session, and class visit and I liked what I saw. AU is at the top of my list, and I am eager to meet my potential future peers.

If you don't mind me asking what class did you visit? I'm having a hard time deciding and we are only allowed to visit two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 am

futurejdgirl wrote:
z0rk wrote:

If you don't mind me asking what class did you visit? I'm having a hard time deciding and we are only allowed to visit two.
PM sent.

futurejdgirl

Bronze

Post by futurejdgirl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:03 pm

z0rk wrote:
futurejdgirl wrote:
z0rk wrote:

PM sent.

Thanks!

Also, does anyone wanna muster up the courage to call financial aid and ask when we'll get the info?! I have definitely bugged them enough for various reasons

loblaw016

New

Post by loblaw016 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 pm

futurejdgirl wrote: Thanks!

Also, does anyone wanna muster up the courage to call financial aid and ask when we'll get the info?! I have definitely bugged them enough for various reasons
they told me that they're on track for Monday, some may get it sooner

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm

American 3L here, taking questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:59 pm

ak362 wrote:American 3L here, taking questions.
Hey, thank you for your time. Before responding to my question below (and arguably anyone else's question) can you please verify your relationship with the AU admissions office? I ask because AU-WCL hires current students to work in their admissions office. I think this is a wonderful practice, and it has been beneficial when to speak with actual students when communicating with the admissions office. That being said, I come to TLS seeking the insider opinions and guidance of students who do not have as much of a vested interest in the admissions process. I would assume many of my fellow posters seek the same angle when getting information from TLS, and it would be helpful for us to know where your very helpful feedback is coming from.

My question:

AU's admissions office likes to push the ability for students to apply for and potentially receive scholarships for their 2l and 3l years as a selling point. In your experience, is there a lot of merit aid? My concern is that this is a Rouse to get students to attend without an upfront scholarship offer. I can envision a scenario where scholarship funds are distributed across a much smaller group of students than what is ambiguously represented by the 30 or so scholarships listed here: http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/restrict_funding.cfm. I'd like to get a sense for how these are awarded and whom these scholarships are awarded to. Any insight you might be able to offer is appreciated.

Thanks again.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:36 pm

z0rk wrote:
Hey, thank you for your time. Before responding to my question below (and arguably anyone else's question) can you please verify your relationship with the AU admissions office? I ask because AU-WCL hires current students to work in their admissions office. I think this is a wonderful practice, and it has been beneficial when to speak with actual students when communicating with the admissions office. That being said, I come to TLS seeking the insider opinions and guidance of students who do not have as much of a vested interest in the admissions process. I would assume many of my fellow posters seek the same angle when getting information from TLS, and it would be helpful for us to know where your very helpful feedback is coming from.
I have no ties to the admissions office. If that helps at all. I've been around TLS since 0L and pop in the WCL threads every now and then.
My question:

AU's admissions office likes to push the ability for students to apply for and potentially receive scholarships for their 2l and 3l years as a selling point. In your experience, is there a lot of merit aid? My concern is that this is a rouse to get students to attend without an upfront scholarship offer. I can envision a scenario where scholarship funds are distributed across a much smaller group of students than what is ambiguously represented by the 30 or so scholarships listed here: http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/restrict_funding.cfm. I'd like to get a sense for how these are awarded and whom these scholarships are awarded to. Any insight you might be able to offer is appreciated.

Thanks again.
WCL is definitely an expensive school to attend. That having been said, there are a bunch of scholarships that aren't listed on that site (I think it's an old list) and I don't think there are a lot of instances where people double up on scholarships. (It's not the same five people getting all 40-50 scholarships). I think they're pretty sizeable too, though I don't know how much they are.

As for how they're awarded, there's an application process sometime around November. I might be mistaken, but you can apply the fall of your 1L year. The awards are handed out in the Spring -- sometime in February -- there's a big scholarship dinner with Dean Grossman, etc. and there are a lot of students that are selected for awards.

choccup

New

Post by choccup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 am

Do you mind speaking about your work experience to date and job prospects?

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:17 am

Without publicly outing myself, I'll just say that I summered at a DC biglaw firm, worked for a judge, and will be clerking for an Article III court post-graduation (returning to the firm afterwards).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”