Houston 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
lawhaze

Re: Houston 2015

Postby lawhaze » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 am

I was accepted on 1/9 and I still haven't received any scholarship information.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Titleist wrote:
tcuphi wrote:Just visited this past weekend. Was between there and Baylor and the visit to UH confirmed my decision for Baylor. As stated in this thread, the campus is poorly laid out, in bad condition, and smells weird. There was really nothing that impressed me after visiting. That being said, stats dont lie. UH is a great school and turns out successful attorneys.

If you take TLS as a good authority then do not go to Baylor.

I have always been on the fence between the two schools. When Baylor gave me a 90k scholarship and UH gave me nothing (negotiating soon) it made the decision even harder.

However, browsing the forum and talking to members its apparent that UH is a better choice- regardless of how bad it smells.

UHLC 1L here. Though I can't say definitively which is a better choice (I only have intimate knowledge of UH), but, for what it's worth, I chose Houston for several reasons that you may find dispositive.

First, location. Between Houston and Waco, it wasn't a hard choice for me. At some point, you'll want to get out of the law school to unwind--whatever. Houston's got pretty much anything you could want (except decent hiking and camping, sadly). Baylor, on the other hand, is at least an hour from a major city (though that city is Austin--i.e., the promised land).

Second, Baylor's got a reputation for being a trial advocacy powerhouse and for being the bootcamp of law schools. I once had a co-worker who would not let us forget that "At other law schools, 3L's a joke. At Baylor, the joke's on you." (Hearing that stupid one-liner more than once was enough to keep me out of Baylor). With that said, if you're interested in trial-level litigation, Baylor may be the choice for you. Not for me. I'm also trying to get on LR board 3L, so I figured not having the mandatory Practice Court would be beneficial for my sanity.

Third, coming to law school, I thought I would be more interested in transactional work, so I wanted the exposure to the city and firms that dealt with that sort of stuff. That paid off for me during 1L callbacks because the downtown firms are literally 10 minutes away from UH. I had all my interviews in late February and early March, which was during the year. For interviews with firms from Baylor, I imagine you'd have to take a day trip from Waco to Houston, Dallas, or Austin. And if you have several interviews, you'd probably have to skip a few days of class at least.

As for the facilities, UHLC is a distance from the "rougher" neighborhoods. I haven't had safety issues, though I've certainly heard some horror stories, and I live on campus. I wouldn't walk around at night. But, TBH, there are few places left where I'd like to live where that is advised.

Anyway, hope that helps somewhat.

tl;dr:
1. Houston's no Austin, but at least it's not Waco.
2. 3L at Baylor is truly hell on earth.
3. From UH, I can see the buildings of the firms I want to work for/interviewed for.

mzells

Postby mzells » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Hey ya'll, question: anyone know geographically in Texas where people are ending up after graduation? I wasn't able to go to ASW, and I can't seem to find anything about it in the videos. Obviously I know most people are ending up with jobs in Houston, but does anyone break into the Dallas market - or any market outside of Houston? Still waiting on SMU's response, and Houston is my backup, but I simply don't know where in Texas people go after Houston (aside from Houston). Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey! I'm keeping an eye out for financial aid packages. Has anyone received one yet? My guess is no, as they haven't even officially released tuition prices yet. If you can let me know, I would appreciate it. I've gotta spend a HUGE chunk of time budgeting big time, and I'd like to know about grants/loans/interest rates before I start.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:19 pm

mzells wrote:Hey ya'll, question: anyone know geographically in Texas where people are ending up after graduation? I wasn't able to go to ASW, and I can't seem to find anything about it in the videos. Obviously I know most people are ending up with jobs in Houston, but does anyone break into the Dallas market - or any market outside of Houston? Still waiting on SMU's response, and Houston is my backup, but I simply don't know where in Texas people go after Houston (aside from Houston). Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Here's this, but you're right, it doesn't include information about within Texas.

--LinkRemoved--

Since you know all this, this can be for other people's reference. I'll keep looking for information.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 pm

sjwest wrote:Hey! I'm keeping an eye out for financial aid packages. Has anyone received one yet? My guess is no, as they haven't even officially released tuition prices yet. If you can let me know, I would appreciate it. I've gotta spend a HUGE chunk of time budgeting big time, and I'd like to know about grants/loans/interest rates before I start.

I haven't gotten one. That kind of stinks for other people that may be getting a lot of need aid and want to compare that between other schools.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Sending in my seat deposit tomorrow.

I have absolutely no idea about loans/fafsa etc to pay for law school.

Can anyone give me a crash course on this matter.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm

.... please tell me you've filled out the FAFSA already.

I'm going to start with the assumption that you have. Then, once you receive your aid report, you will log in to your my.uh.edu account and review/accept your awards. Most of them will be federal loans, some Stafford loans, some GRADplus loans (higher interest rate, interest begin accumulating immediately). Your aid report will likely cover the entire cost of attendance, including cost of living.

You'll meet with someone from financial aid as well, I believe. If its not required, its something you should do on your own.

Great info here: http://law.uh.edu/financialaid/faprograms.asp <-- READ THIS.

It appears that the GRADplus loan may not be a part of the financial aid package they offer you. The financial aid package they offer you will cover the entire difference between the cost of attendance (Cost of Living + Tuition/fees) and your EFC (calculated by the FAFSA). If you happen to need more than the difference, you'll have to get separate loans (GRADplus, private-yuck) that are not a part of the financial aid package.

Lets make this easier to read:
1) Fill out FAFSA. Make sure to include UH school code so they get a copy.
2) If you haven't already set up your MYUH account, do so. https://my.uh.edu/psp/paprd/?cmd=login
- Login problems. Request password. Type in peoplesoft ID as User ID. Password will be sent to your regular email.
3) Make sure you don't have any to-do items in your My.UH account.
4) Wait for your financial aid package. You will probably get an email notification.
5) Review and accept aid. (Grants if you're lucky, loans more likely)
6) If you think you need more, contact Financial aid office regarding GRADPlus loans. Private loans will be done through a bank or other financial institution, but the Financial aid office can still probably point you to some good ones.

If you haven't filled out the FAFSA, I've got some bad news: the priority deadline for financial aid was April 1st. That doesn't mean you won't get any, it just means you won't get the good stuff (grants, lowest interest federal loans).

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Now that I'm officially going to UH I have a few questions for my fellow classmates and current students.

1. Who golfs and would want to hit up a course before school starts? What is a decent course close to the UHLC?

2. Who plans on living in the Calhoun Lofts? I'm on the fence. Being that close would be super convenient but I don't want to feel like I'm in a dorm as well as having cabin fever from only seeing two buildings.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Titleist wrote:Now that I'm officially going to UH I have a few questions for my fellow classmates and current students.

1. Who golfs and would want to hit up a course before school starts? What is a decent course close to the UHLC?

2. Who plans on living in the Calhoun Lofts? I'm on the fence. Being that close would be super convenient but I don't want to feel like I'm in a dorm as well as having cabin fever from only seeing two buildings.

1. Hermann Park is close by.

2. Cabin fever is definitely a reality--especially around finals. Edit--But the convenience really cannot be beat.

kjames511

Postby kjames511 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 am

I was considering Calhoun Lofts but after finding out that undergrads live there I changed my mind.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:10 pm

If I remember correctly I think they put grad students/ law students on the upper floors.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

kjames511

Postby kjames511 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 pm

when I callled I specifically asked if the law students/grad students were separated by floors and the person I spoke with told me that was not the case. If you are considering the lofts I would definitely find out before hand.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah that is weak. When I visited I did get a dorm-feel. However, I think the convenience would be worth it. I'm still on the fence.

If I don't live there I'm going to try and find a place in Midtown or Montrose.

Stevoman

Postby Stevoman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

I'm not going to UH, but I did my undergrad there, so I can answer general campus/Houston questions.

bringyourlunch wrote:Has anyone visited the campus? I have heard a lot of negative things about it.

Quite frankly, most parts are nasty and smelly. I was engineering, which is right next to the law school, and we occasionally ate at the Subway in the LS. While the LS is a step up from the rest of the campus in building quality, it's still pretty meh.

Something you have to remember is a huge portion of Houston is oil and gas refining, and UH is not too far from Pasadena, which is where Goodyear, PRSI, and a ton of other major refineries are. If the winds are blowing the wrong way, you will get to experience a lovely smell...

Alan wrote:Anyone else thinking about living in Calhoun lofts? Its expensive and small, but I think its worth it for me to live directly next to the law center for a year.

Titleist wrote:2. Who plans on living in the Calhoun Lofts? I'm on the fence. Being that close would be super convenient but I don't want to feel like I'm in a dorm as well as having cabin fever from only seeing two buildings.

I had a classmate in the Lofts, so I had some late-night design project marathons and parties in them. They very are nice from a convenience and quality standpoint. The problems is that the lofts are very expensive (I think my friend was paying $900/month for a studio), and are still smack in the middle of UH, so it's a lot like dorm life even though they are technically considered apartments.

UH is a commuter campus, so there's tons of parking and shuttle busses, and the LS even has their own parking lot. I personally recommend living a few minutes off campus and driving; it's really no big deal and you'll find way cheaper places that are in much nicer areas and have far more town life around them.

Titleist wrote:1. Who golfs and would want to hit up a course before school starts? What is a decent course close to the UHLC?

There's not much that I know of in that area. I play at Magnolia Creek, which is about 20 minutes south on the highway from UH. Houston is a really big town, so get used to 10-15 minute drives for even little things.

Titleist wrote:If I don't live there I'm going to try and find a place in Midtown or Montrose.

A lot of the people I knew were in the Montrose area. There's some really nice places there, and they said it was about 15 minutes for them to get to school (which again, by Houston standards, is a pretty good drive).

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks Steveo. Can you maybe recommend a street or neighborhood for our out of towners who are looking for a college-town feel? I know that is hard from Houston but Montrose had that feel for me. Any other areas I'm missing?

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:10 am

Titleist wrote:Thanks Steveo. Can you maybe recommend a street or neighborhood for our out of towners who are looking for a college-town feel? I know that is hard from Houston but Montrose had that feel for me. Any other areas I'm missing?

What do you mean by "college town feel"? If you want dive bars, around Westheimer and Montrose is good. Personally my goal is to be able to walk everywhere on weekends (grocery store, bars, shopping) and so I like living near Grey street which is midtown or montrose. I lived in Midtown and looovveed it, but it's really expensive (like 1100-1200 for a studio, 1300-1500 for a 1 bedroom). I am going to move near Grey & Shepard in June or near West University.

(That also has a college town feel - but the best way to find apartments in West U is either to use a realtor or just walk the neighborhoods - West U is near Rice University).

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:(That also has a college town feel - but the best way to find apartments in West U is either to use a realtor or just walk the neighborhoods - West U is near Rice University).

Seriously this. I don't know how many of you are coming in from out of town, but definitely take advantage of all the apartment finder services. My brothers used one in Austin, and it's so convenient. It's entirely free (the complex you choose pays a finders fee), and they will do all the research based on the amenities you want, and schedule tours for you for a particular day that you can make it down.

http://www.apartment-locators.com/

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Titleist wrote:Thanks Steveo. Can you maybe recommend a street or neighborhood for our out of towners who are looking for a college-town feel? I know that is hard from Houston but Montrose had that feel for me. Any other areas I'm missing?

What do you mean by "college town feel"?

Basically mom and pop stores instead of strip malls. Being able to walk places, etc... Mostly how you described it.

I think it would enjoy living in Montrose or Midtown (the two areas I have only looked at) just don't know if its worth the convenience over the Lofts.

I will definitely utilize an apartment locator.

libdemjenn

Postby libdemjenn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Titleist wrote:Yeah that is weak. When I visited I did get a dorm-feel. However, I think the convenience would be worth it. I'm still on the fence.

If I don't live there I'm going to try and find a place in Midtown or Montrose.

I would seriously consider the lofts for your 1L year if you can afford it. Parking at UHLC during the day is horrible. There is no way I would want to deal with that every morning. I've never heard complaints about noise from people living at the lofts if that's the concern about being mixed with undergrads. However, if things got rowdy, you can simply walk across the parking lot to the law school. Many of the places in Midtown and Montrose will not be conducive to studying. Your first year will fly by. The tiny, expensive room is only temporary.

My point of view is obviously skewed. I am a PT 1L who actually works fulltime. When I get out of class, I'd love to just walk over to the lofts and crash. However, the location is not convenient for my morning commute, and I am too old to try dorm living again. Midtown and Montrose are great. I live in the Heights. For people looking for an apartment, use har.com or a realtor. There is a map somewhere on there that circles the different parts of town and points out where you want to avoid.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 pm

There ya go! I had friends that lived on Wheeler, and there was a lot of crime, so take heed of the map.

sjj1409

Postby sjj1409 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 pm

For that 59/288 crotch area, as long as you're a couple blocks south of Wheeler and west of Almeda, it's fine. The area is pretty saturated with students. My apartment is half grad students, for example. It helps to have a place with a fence, though admittedly that's more for panhandlers than crime.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Did anyone go to the reception in Dallas last night?

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 pm

mtyler19 wrote:Did anyone go to the reception in Dallas last night?

Interested in this also.

Kind of seems like it was an after thought to invite students since it was so last minute and it was officially an alumni reception.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:01 pm

So I sent UH a scholarship negotiation two weeks ago and I still have not received a response yet. I'm beginning to think they did not read my e-mail.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”