Houston 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Titleist

Re: Houston 2015

Postby Titleist » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:25 pm

At first I was leaning towards getting garage parking until I found out that if you get to campus around 8am you can park in front of the law center.

Therefore I will just get the standard parking since I plan on arriving early to read.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Part time just a commuter pass.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 pm

HEY ALL! I know this is super last minute, but I'll be at Joystix tonight with friends from 9-12ish. I know some of yall are still not in town yet, but if anyone is bored and looking for something to do, I'll be there!

http://www.joystixamusements.com/

And I'd like to make more in advance plans for next weekend to hit up a bar. Anyone prefer a particular day? Particular bar? I'm fond of margaritas, but I'm not choosy. I just ask that it be a full bar, not a beer and wine place.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Bad idea for friends to visit the weekend after school starts? :?

Calchexas

Postby Calchexas » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:45 pm

^I was wondering the same...Also wondering if doing anything remotely resembling "life" is a good idea during the first week.

P.S. Joystix sounds amazing. Checked out the site, and some of those really rare games look great.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't care if it's a bad idea, that's my birthday weekend! I'm going out regardless. I'm hoping that early the work load won't be too bad and I'll be able to take Saturday off (and Sunday morning for the hangover).

Just bust ass during the week to stay on top of your assignments.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:42 pm

sjwest wrote:I don't care if it's a bad idea, that's my birthday weekend! I'm going out regardless. I'm hoping that early the work load won't be too bad and I'll be able to take Saturday off (and Sunday morning for the hangover).

Just bust ass during the week to stay on top of your assignments.

That's what I'm thinking. Plus, Monday is a holiday.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am

I don't think it will be to big of an issue if you are very studious. I personally figured I would bust ass during the week and read a ton Saturday so I could keep the Sabbath holy, and by that I mean watch every NFL game possible. I am willing to give up a lot of things for law school but I just couldn't bring myself to give up fantasy football.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:06 pm

zanzbar wrote:I don't think it will be to big of an issue if you are very studious. I personally figured I would bust ass during the week and read a ton Saturday so I could keep the Sabbath holy, and by that I mean watch every NFL game possible. I am willing to give up a lot of things for law school but I just couldn't bring myself to give up fantasy football.

Someone on FB got a UHLC fantasy football league- you should join it.

I'm taking your approach too- but substitute Saturday/Sunday and college football/NFL.

However, since I'm in Houston I might convert to a Texan fan and keep up with them this season.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 am

Titleist wrote:
zanzbar wrote:I don't think it will be to big of an issue if you are very studious. I personally figured I would bust ass during the week and read a ton Saturday so I could keep the Sabbath holy, and by that I mean watch every NFL game possible. I am willing to give up a lot of things for law school but I just couldn't bring myself to give up fantasy football.

Someone on FB got a UHLC fantasy football league- you should join it.

I'm taking your approach too- but substitute Saturday/Sunday and college football/NFL.

However, since I'm in Houston I might convert to a Texan fan and keep up with them this season.

I used to love College Football just as much as NFL, but once Leach got fired I felt that any chance of my Alma Mater ever being relevant faded away so I returned to just NFL and watching the big SEC games when they were played. I am not going to lie I can't wait to see how that beatdown in the NCG effects the already bitter Alabama-LSU rivalry.

I also was thinking about adopting them, but unfortunately I was indoctrinated at a very young age to be a Cowboys fan so it might be a hard adjustment. I am probably going to end up hating the Texans by the end of the year because there are a couple weeks it looks like the Texans and Cowboys play at the same time on CBS and I doubt they would bump the Texans unless it was blacked out.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:44 am

Having a life is fine - just get all your work done. I did well, but managed to go out once or twice in a weekend (up until 2-3 weeks before finals). You just have to force yourself to go to bed before (or around) 2 and wake up relatively early to get your shit done on weekends.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:52 am

sjwest wrote:I haven't heard positive things about Crump, but check this page out for your other professors.

http://www.cartersahadi.com/profs.htm

Crump isn't bad at all. He's actually been tame these past few years, minus the fat jokes here and there. He'll pick on two or three people (usually the people who sit in the front middle row) and that's it. Towards the end, his class gets boring but what can ya do.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

That's good to hear. I had just surfed through the Class of 2014 thread and someone had mentioned he was tough. I obviously have zero personal experience on the matter.

InnocuousDiatribe

Postby InnocuousDiatribe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

sjwest wrote:That's good to hear. I had just surfed through the Class of 2014 thread and someone had mentioned he was tough. I obviously have zero personal experience on the matter.

He's not. He's more or less harmless, and his sample exams will prepare you for the final.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:40 pm

InnocuousDiatribe wrote:
sjwest wrote:That's good to hear. I had just surfed through the Class of 2014 thread and someone had mentioned he was tough. I obviously have zero personal experience on the matter.

He's not. He's more or less harmless, and his sample exams will prepare you for the final.

Cannot be emphasized enough.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Wow I can't believe orientation is this week. Summer has flown by.

As a side note, how will I know who all of you are IRL?

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm a UG senior @ UH, so if you have any questions about Houston or the campus in general lmk.

cheers.

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:55 am

sjwest wrote:HEY ALL! I know this is super last minute, but I'll be at Joystix tonight with friends from 9-12ish. I know some of yall are still not in town yet, but if anyone is bored and looking for something to do, I'll be there!

http://www.joystixamusements.com/

And I'd like to make more in advance plans for next weekend to hit up a bar. Anyone prefer a particular day? Particular bar? I'm fond of margaritas, but I'm not choosy. I just ask that it be a full bar, not a beer and wine place.

Anvil Bar and Refuge:
1424 Westheimer Road Houston, TX 77006

Mongoose Vs. Cobra:
1011 McGowen St Houston, TX 77002

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:10 pm

sjwest wrote:Wow I can't believe orientation is this week. Summer has flown by.

I'm down for a TLS meet up if we can get some people together.

Further, if the pro golfer in our class is lurking in this thread out yourself! Show me your ways.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:25 am

Titleist wrote:

Further, if the pro golfer in our class is lurking in this thread out yourself! Show me your ways.

I can't believe we have an 18 year old!

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Titleist wrote:

I thought it might have been you! Guess not :P

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:49 pm

I wish. I would not be talking to you nerds if I was a pro golfer :wink:

Calchexas

Postby Calchexas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 am

ITT: Some big geekin'.

Anyways, I enjoyed orientation greatly. It was nice getting a chance to meet people and tour Houston a bit more. I'm also very eager to receive my 1/6 on the writing sample. :mrgreen:

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Calchexas wrote:ITT: Some big geekin'.

Anyways, I enjoyed orientation greatly. It was nice getting a chance to meet people and tour Houston a bit more. I'm also very eager to receive my 1/6 on the writing sample. :mrgreen:

I know exactly what you mean. I could never get the prompt to download the night before so i pretty much had to read it and shit out 1 page on the fly. Instead of doing this take home writing assessment I just wish I could send in one of the papers I did last semester. I guess it could be worse, I heard SMU gave a spelling test at their orientation.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm

zanzbar wrote: I guess it could be worse, I heard SMU gave a spelling test at their orientation.

Not spelling. Grammar. It was annoying. On top of that it wasn't all grammar. 1/3 of it was actually proper legal formatting (quotations and citations). To make it worse, we had to pay extra for it (http://www.coregrammarforlawyers.com). I'm not entirely sure why we had to cram this in with our first day assignments since they could easily have sent it to us over the summer.

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”