Houston 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Titleist

Re: Houston 2015

Postby Titleist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:27 am

sjwest wrote:Um. Today. I hope you've all sent it in!

I sent it in a few hours after I received it.

I would guess this upcoming last of week would be the last chance to get scholarships boosted- if at all. It might be too late.

Definitely worth a shot if you can shave off more future debt.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:07 pm

Wow glad the heads up helped somebody!

As for scholarships, I'm actually retaking the LSAT on Monday on the off-chance that my scores might improve and earn me a better scholarship. I emailed admissions about the commitment form because I didn't want to sign my name down in blood just yet. I wanted to make sure I could still back out later on if I eventually did decide not to go. When they phoned me to discuss it, I mentioned the fact that I was retaking the LSAT, and they said that as commitment forms come in and people submit their withdrawals, they are constantly adjusting things. Think about it, other school's second seat deposits/commitment forms often require that students withdraw from other schools they've been accepted to, so when those other deadlines come up, more seats/scholarships are opening up. More money is available all the time and things are constantly changing.

Absolutely try to continue negotiating. Maybe mention the fact that another school's seat deposit that requires your withdrawal from UH is coming up, and you would appreciate a second consideration for more financial assistance. I will definitely be renegotiating when my new (hopefully improved) scores arrive. No reason not to, you have absolutely nothing to lose.

As a side note, the admissions guy I spoke to jokingly asked me if they should reduce my scholarship ($5k) if my score dropped. He scared the crap out of me. I REALLY hope he was kidding.
Last edited by sjwest on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:09 pm

If your situation has changed at all, maybe your final semester's grades have come out (if you're still in school), and they increased your GPA, you should definitely write them and mention the change and elaborate on how it makes you a better candidate. Then you're not just begging for money, you have a reason why they should reconsider you and your future at their school.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:35 pm

sjwest wrote:
As a side note, the admissions guy I spoke to jokingly asked me if they should reduce my scholarship ($5k) if my score dropped. He scared the crap out of me. I REALLY hope he was kidding.

That would be the cruelest thing ever lol.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 pm

OH hey, I meant to mention, I bought Law School Confidential for the kindle and really enjoyed it, found it enlightening.

......... and I was going to say I can loan it to you electronically, but I just double checked and looks like the publisher disabled lending. So...

Go check it out from the library.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:09 pm

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I want to recommend in case no one has yet to try finding an apartment in the Montrose or Rice area. You will enjoy Houston MUCH better if you live in one of these neighborhoods and both are only 10-15 away from UH by car. If you want to find an affordable place in Montrose, the best way is to simply ride a bike or drive around the smaller streets until you find a sign advertising a room for rent. You should find many. You could also probably find some on CL and other sites. The Montrose area is full of great bars, restaurants, parks, art, etc.

The Rice area is usually a bit more expensive, especially if you want to be by the Village (where most of the bars are located). I lived their during my undergrad and the short walk to the Rice library made it an excellent place for a student. Also, it's a fantastic neighborhood if you are a runner, as there are many shaded running paths, and tons of joggers every morning and evening.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

superdingle2000 wrote: You will enjoy Houston MUCH better if you live in one of these neighborhoods and both are only 10-15 away from UH by car. If you want to find an affordable place in Montrose, the best way is to simply ride a bike or drive around the smaller streets until you find a sign advertising a room for rent. You should find many. You could also probably find some on CL and other sites. The Montrose area is full of great bars, restaurants, parks, art, etc.

This is true. The Montrose area is great especially and I was there recently and you can just drive up and down and see a ton of for rent signs in the yard.

I'm about turn in my application for a lease so hopefully it goes through. My S/O and I are the only ones so far to send one in since it's not listed yet.

ccn042000

Postby ccn042000 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi!!

My name is Crystal. Me and my roommate, are looking for a third FEMALE roommate for 3bed/3.5 bath townhome that is extremely close to both TSU an UH law schools. We are currently both in doctorate programs and are laid back and easy going. If you are interested please feel free to message me. The rent would be very reasonable, especially compared to single bedroom apartments that average about $800 or more and the shared amenities much more plush with upgraded appliance. Also non-smokers please and no pets (per landlord regulations).Thanks in advance for all inquiries!

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Anybody getting increasingly excited yet nervous?

I toggle between wishing August 27th was here already and trying to drag out this happy, simple time before crushing debt and workload takes over.

I go between the peace of knowing this is what I have always been meant to do and knowing this is insanity.

School needs to start already so I can stop over-thinking things.

Anybody feel the same?

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:19 am

Opposite! Because I'm going part time while working full time, I know I'm going to fight through 14 hour days Mon-Thursday starting in August. I am trying to spend as much time as I can with friends and family before I disappear from the world for 4 years.

Vacation! Travel! Keep yourself occupied with activities that you will miss come August. They come with the added bonus that time will seem to go by faster.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Last edited by mtyler19 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:00 pm

mtyler19 wrote:This is probably a dumb question but is there such a thing as w/d connections in Montrose apartments? I'm mostly looking at small complexes and duplex type things. blehhhh so tired of searching :?

Sometimes. A lot of times in the older duplexes/quad/octos, you're most likely to find them when they've taken two very small apts and combined them into a normal size, converting one kitchen to a utility room.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 pm

mtyler19 wrote:This is probably a dumb question but is there such a thing as w/d connections in Montrose apartments? I'm mostly looking at small complexes and duplex type things. blehhhh so tired of searching :?

The ones I sent in an application for have a w/d on site.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 am

Last edited by mtyler19 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:59 am

That is why the invented paper plates and plastic spoons!

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Titleist wrote:That is why the invented paper plates and plastic spoons!

Mehh. Guess I'm spoiled lol

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 pm

If you're that spoiled, portable dishwashers go for <$200 and countertop for <$100 on CL. You just use them as an extension of your countertop or as an island and then wheel them over to the sink to use them.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

If wanting to eat off of real plates with real cutlery is spoiled, consider me spoiled as well!

I'm not a college student anymore, gosh darn it.

mtyler19

Postby mtyler19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:34 pm

sjwest wrote:If wanting to eat off of real plates with real cutlery is spoiled, consider me spoiled as well!

LOL thank you!! :P

BVest wrote:If you're that spoiled, portable dishwashers go for <$200 and countertop for <$100 on CL. You just use them as an extension of your countertop or as an island and then wheel them over to the sink to use them.

and this actually doesn't sound so bad, I was thinking about something like this when I found a couple places that were perfect except for no dishwasher.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Perfect sans dishwasher shouldn't be an instant veto. If you're good about rinsing dishes, washing dishes by hand is no big deal. I did it at a past duplex, was fine.

However, whether or not you'll have time to hand wash dishes while you'll be studying in law school is a different story, and entirely dependent on you.

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:06 pm

BVest wrote:If you're that spoiled, portable dishwashers go for <$200 and countertop for <$100 on CL. You just use them as an extension of your countertop or as an island and then wheel them over to the sink to use them.

and this actually doesn't sound so bad, I was thinking about something like this when I found a couple places that were perfect except for no dishwasher.[/quote]

We actually rented a place in college that had one of these. You just wheel it to the sink, hook up the supply hose hose (there's an attachment that needs to be screwed on where the aerator screws on, so if the place has a fancy faucet it might no work), plug it in. I don't recall if they waste hose attached to something or if it just had a hook to hang over the edge of the sink like a washing machine hose.

Titleist

Postby Titleist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm

sjwest wrote:If wanting to eat off of real plates with real cutlery is spoiled, consider me spoiled as well!

To be fair, they make really nice paper plates these days.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Titleist wrote:

To be fair, they make really nice paper plates these days.

And dishwasher safe re-usable disposable ones as well, but that gets back to the problem at hand.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

You're going to law school to be a high paying attorney anyway so why not adjust to the lifestyle early. Pent house + full time maid service>dishwasherless appt.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Or we will be a jobless, homeless person with a J.D. like so many others in the saturated legal market (jobless anyway). Mayhap mad dish-washing skills would be a boon upon graduation date as a means to repay our loans.

oops. Happy face slid off for a second. Nah! We will all be uber successful with servants to wash our servant's dishes. :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”