Houston 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
zanzbar

Bronze

Re: Houston 2015

Post by zanzbar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:42 am

katznkt wrote:
zanzbar wrote:
katznkt wrote:
MissJewsbury wrote:Anyone checked into the Dell deal UH has for admitted students? (Link on the admitted students page.) I don't know the reality of just flying with the laptop I have...
I looked at it a while back and seem to remember it being pretty cool, but pretty pricey. It didn't seem like a really good deal to me, but maybe if I knew more about computers it would have made me drool.

I am debating the computer issue myself. I have a laptop for work that I will have to take with me everyday anyway. The idea occurred to just use an external hard drive and save all my school stuff to that.

It is big and heavy, but carrying around two laptops everyday for the next 4 years just seems ridiculous. What do yall think? Any part-timers in a similar situation want to weigh in?

Buy a super light weight, easily portable law school only personal computer, or save the dough and stick with the heavy work clunker (very good machine, and brand new, just heavy) that I will have to cart around anyway?
Just from reading this site I noticed people say to try to get a 14-15 inch monitor so you can easily put 2 documents side by side. Some people claim that 13 inches is enough, it would kind of suck to buy a laptop only to find out it is too small for what you want to do.
So does that mean that everybody thinks that I should def carry around two computers? Or will my 17" screen work laptop work?
If your coming straight from work to class you're going to probably have to take the laptop in with you anyways given the location of the campus at night so I would say keep the 17 inch, there are also ways to save all your files automatically to a server so you should look into that maybe so you don't have to carry around an external.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:32 am

zanzbar wrote:
Titleist wrote:How much would a holographic Charzard go for these days?
Like 8 bucks if its in good condition. I came across all of mine like 3 months ago and looked up the value on some of the ones I thought were rare and might be worth something, and let's just say I can relate to Facebook stockholders...
Depends lol. They actually go for a bit more, although "good" has a very special meaning in the world of collectibles (i.e., it's minimally acceptable). And as far a price goes, it depends on your buyer: eBay sellers like myself usually pay slightly less so they can net a profit for their time spent, whereas collectors usually pay FMV or even retail.

Also, Charizards range depending on edition. 1st>2nd>4th>3rd.

(Congratulations: half of you traditionals are now pulling some major nostalgia tripping. :D)

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Calchexas wrote:
zanzbar wrote:
Titleist wrote:How much would a holographic Charzard go for these days?
Like 8 bucks if its in good condition. I came across all of mine like 3 months ago and looked up the value on some of the ones I thought were rare and might be worth something, and let's just say I can relate to Facebook stockholders...
Depends lol. They actually go for a bit more, although "good" has a very special meaning in the world of collectibles (i.e., it's minimally acceptable). And as far a price goes, it depends on your buyer: eBay sellers like myself usually pay slightly less so they can net a profit for their time spent, whereas collectors usually pay FMV or even retail.

Also, Charizards range depending on edition. 1st>2nd>4th>3rd.

(Congratulations: half of you traditionals are now pulling some major nostalgia tripping. :D)
Yeah I looked and all mine are not first editions so their value is pretty low I kept in a binder for years so most are in mint condition, but their just not worth more then 2-8 bucks a card. I figure might as well hold onto them incase there is some messed up post-apocalyptic world where pokemon cards become currency. I guess I should go into the storage locker and check to see if any of the beanie babies I had from a long time ago retained any value, and then after that I will try to find the comic book collections from when i was really little. Maybe they can cover a couple law textbooks if I am lucky. :lol:

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:22 pm

Haahahahahahaha. Beanie babies got nuked years ago, so I suggest you put 'em back in storage. :wink:

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Calchexas wrote:Haahahahahahaha. Beanie babies got nuked years ago, so I suggest you put 'em back in storage. :wink:
Damn it, I was really hoping the honorary Princess Diana bear would be my retirement fund. I can remember when I was just seven years old I stole it from my sister and hid it in a suitcase before she could crinkle the tag because I figured 401ks were for suckers. Now I know what it must of felt like to be an Enron employee...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Hey are you guys in town yet?

I want drinks.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm moving in August.

Last time I was in Houston, apartment hunting, my gf and I went to River Oaks Bar and Grill. It was a nice place.

What are some other good places?

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 am

sjwest wrote:Hey are you guys in town yet?

I want drinks.
I'll be there 7/22! I can't wait to move!!! :P :P

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:33 am

Midtown has some great places. Pub Fiction, Little Woodrows, Lucky's pub.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katznkt

New

Post by katznkt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:42 pm

I've heard Kung Fu Bar is cool- it has a ton of games. Never been to vouch though.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Is that on Montrose? I think I've been there. They have giant jenga and connect four on the patio, IIRC.

Yea I didn't really play the arcade games. If you guys want to go somewhere to drink and play games, we'll hit up Joystix on the first or last Friday of the month. $15 all you can play and an attached bar. It's lots of fun.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:16 am

I have been to the one in Austin. I would have enjoyed it more but I was DD and my drunk friends were annoying.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:50 pm

In other news, the next ASD is the 12th. Anyone planning on going? I went in March, so I probably won't, as I'd have to take off work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

katznkt

New

Post by katznkt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:30 pm

I am leaning toward (better late than never) the ASD. Hate to waste vacation time, but I am seriously getting coldish feet in regards to the loans, so I hope going will settle my mind a little.

Joystix sounds awesome!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm not sure if this was answered already, but do I really need to budget $3000 for books??

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Man with all the Hornbooks, casebooks, textbooks and everything else, I can easily see spending over a grand, even if you buy used. $3000 though? I don't know about that.

Maybe add in school supplies, spirals, comp books, highlighters, bribing 2Ls for their briefs and you get 3 grand :lol:

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Scholarships have been posted in the MyUH financial aid page. If you received one, make sure yours is there and correct :)

And the new budget break down for 12-13 has been posted also:

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mattthebarbarian

New

Post by Mattthebarbarian » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 pm

nimchow12

New

Post by nimchow12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

I need help applying for the gradplus loan, has anyone done that yet? Also i havent heard anything from the school lately, I'm begining to wonder if i'm sill enrolled!!? :shock: I'm going to houston tmrw to look for apts and sign a lease with my boyfriend, if anyone is interested in getting a drink i'd be down,
best,

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 pm

After filling out all my loan app I received nothing from UH. Only thing that I received was from the loan website saying it was processed.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:27 pm

For those who graduated in May has anyone sent in their final transcript. I thought they would of asked for it by now, but I have yet to get an email concerning it. Also, does anyone have any recommendations as far as fairly nice motels/hotels near U of H. When I say fairly nice I don't mean Omni just not a place that you has hourly rates. :lol: It looks like I will have to be living in a hotel for the first 2-3 weeks of the school year, and I don't know anything really about the area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am

As far as I know they have not asked us to send final transcripts? I don't believe it is assumed that we have to send them either.

There are tons of hotels in third ward close to campus and meet your price range. Might want to invest in bear mace though.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 pm

sjwest wrote:Image

There ya go! I had friends that lived on Wheeler, and there was a lot of crime, so take heed of the map.
Going to post this up again. Also, definitely use priceline to book your hotel, since the only thing that matters about the hotel is where it is at. You'll get good deals, and most of them have weekly rates that are far cheaper than daily rates. Use the name your own price option. Seriously. Just don't book until you know what days you'll need to stay there.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Titleist wrote:There are tons of hotels in third ward close to campus and meet your price range. Might want to invest in bear mace though.
Mace? Psh... This is Texas aren't we all issued a gun at birth?

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Titleist wrote:As far as I know they have not asked us to send final transcripts? I don't believe it is assumed that we have to send them either.
I am fairly certain you will need to have your final transcript in at some point during the first semeseter. It wouldn't hurt to get that knocked out now.

On a similar note, you will be required to fill out the Declaration of Intention to Study Law during your first semester. It must be submitted to the Board of Law Examiners by October 1st, and the filing fee is $190. I tell you this so that you can start gathering the information before school starts. It could take quite a bit of time (time you don't have as a 1L) to gather all the information required. For example, I had to request a certified copy of my birth certificate to mail in with the paperwork. I was born in Houston, yet it took several weeks nad phone calls to receive a copy of it in the mail. You might need to request court documents, etc. Here is a link to the paper applicaton: --LinkRemoved--. They also ask for six references, but you can't use relatives, law students, or former employers. You will be able to fill out the application online and save it as you gather information. Do not turn in the application before school starts. The school will help you arrange fingerprinting on campus. Someone from the BLE will talk to you about this at orientation. They will scare the shit out of you, so I strongly encourage you to take a look at the form this summer.

*This is a PSA. Sorry if someone has already mentionted it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”