Houston 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
lawschooliscool

New

Houston 2015

Post by lawschooliscool » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:11 pm

Thought I'd start the thread

mtyler19

Bronze

Re: Houston 2015

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:25 pm

lawschooliscool wrote:Thought I'd start the thread
Thanks! Did you deposit already?

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Nice.

Personally, I haven’t paid my seat deposit yet.

Are yall going to ASD at the end of the month??

Anyone else thinking about living in Calhoun lofts? Its expensive and small, but I think its worth it for me to live directly next to the law center for a year.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Alan wrote:Nice.

Anyone else thinking about living in Calhoun lofts? Its expensive and small, but I think its worth a few extra student loan payments to live directly next to the law center for a year.
Me neither. I'll be there! I really want to, it sounds extremely convenient but I just don't think I could deal with paying that much just for that :?

JRSims22

New

Post by JRSims22 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 pm

mtyler19 wrote:

Anyone else thinking about living in Calhoun lofts? Its expensive and small, but I think its worth a few extra student loan payments to live directly next to the law center for a year.
Me neither. I'll be there! I really want to, it sounds extremely convenient but I just don't think I could deal with paying that much just for that :?
Hi guys! I'll be there too! :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 am

mtyler19 wrote:

Being walking distance from the center would be great.

I'm waiting on if SMU will accept me and if UH will give me money.

However, I see myself going to UH- which is getting me excited.

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Titleist wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:

Being walking distance from the center would be great.

I'm waiting on if SMU will accept me and if UH will give me money.

However, I see myself going to UH- which is getting me excited.
UH/SMU is a coin flip. Both are great.

I have not recieved a decision from SMU either.

As of now... H TOWN BOUND.

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Has anyone visited the campus? I have heard a lot of negative things about it.

vfaye

New

Post by vfaye » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:13 pm

bringyourlunch wrote:Has anyone visited the campus? I have heard a lot of negative things about it.
the campus/surrounding area isn't pretty and a lot of people complain about potential safety concerns. the school is largely a commuter campus, so most people drive to school anyway. i'm considering uhlc, but in a uh program at the moment and when i first moved here the advice i got, from several people, was something like "you know not to get an apartment near to school, right?"

that being said, it's definitely worth visiting. i'd heard a lot of negative things before I came to UH too and, in my opinion, they are largely unfounded.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 pm

bringyourlunch wrote:Has anyone visited the campus? I have heard a lot of negative things about it.
The campus is kind of outdated and has an awkward lay out.

The school is in the Third Ward which is a really run down part of Houston. However, the UHLC is isolated from bad areas by being on the northeast side of campus and bordered by 45.

Bottom line, the facilities should not make or break ones decision.

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am

Titleist wrote:
The campus is kind of outdated and has an awkward lay out.

The school is in the Third Ward which is a really run down part of Houston. However, the UHLC is isolated from bad areas by being on the northeast side of campus and bordered by 45.

Bottom line, the facilities should not make or break ones decision.
Agreed, the facilities shouldn't make or break one'd decision. However, when comparing similar schools, it is certainly something to take into consideration.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:21 pm

If you are comparing the facilities to similar ranked schools in Texas- Baylor and SMU then the UHLC does not come close unfortunately.

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm

As one TLS poster once put it, “UH is not a shiny law school.”

But it is still a great place to pursue a legal education and start a legal career :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tcuphi

New

Post by tcuphi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 am

Just visited this past weekend. Was between there and Baylor and the visit to UH confirmed my decision for Baylor. As stated in this thread, the campus is poorly laid out, in bad condition, and smells weird. There was really nothing that impressed me after visiting. That being said, stats dont lie. UH is a great school and turns out successful attorneys.

lawschooliscool

New

Post by lawschooliscool » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm

tcuphi wrote:Just visited this past weekend. Was between there and Baylor and the visit to UH confirmed my decision for Baylor. As stated in this thread, the campus is poorly laid out, in bad condition, and smells weird. There was really nothing that impressed me after visiting. That being said, stats dont lie. UH is a great school and turns out successful attorneys.
bro, you don't wanna go to baylor

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 pm

lawschooliscool wrote:
tcuphi wrote:Just visited this past weekend. Was between there and Baylor and the visit to UH confirmed my decision for Baylor. As stated in this thread, the campus is poorly laid out, in bad condition, and smells weird. There was really nothing that impressed me after visiting. That being said, stats dont lie. UH is a great school and turns out successful attorneys.
+1

bringyourlunch

New

Post by bringyourlunch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 pm

mtyler19 wrote:
lawschooliscool wrote:
+1
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

If you take TLS as a good authority then do not go to Baylor.

I have always been on the fence between the two schools. When Baylor gave me a 90k scholarship and UH gave me nothing (negotiating soon) it made the decision even harder.

However, browsing the forum and talking to members its apparent that UH is a better choice- regardless of how bad it smells.

bmunshi

New

Post by bmunshi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm

First time poster-

95% sure I'll be attending. I was admitted 2/14 but I haven't received any scholarship information yet. Has anyone who was admitted around that time gotten scholarship info?

Not sure if I'm going to ASD either. I have work and it's hard to get a day off.

Alan

Bronze

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 pm

bmunshi wrote:First time poster-

95% sure I'll be attending. I was admitted 2/14 but I haven't received any scholarship information yet. Has anyone who was admitted around that time gotten scholarship info?

Not sure if I'm going to ASD either. I have work and it's hard to get a day off.
Titleist and I were also admitted 2/14. Neither of us have gotten scholly offers. Many people have (mostly 5,10, or 15k/yr).

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if they are done giving out scholarships.

Regardless, I'm giving them till mid next week till I try and negotiate with them.

I hate how stingy UH is, if they would give me some money I would send a seat deposit in now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Titleist wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure if they are done giving out scholarships.

Regardless, I'm giving them till mid next week till I try and negotiate with them.

I hate how stingy UH is, if they would give me some money I would send a seat deposit in now.
Same here! Its ridiculous! I'm completely ready to go there, but their stinginess is driving me crazy!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey! At least you have already received some money. :wink:

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Bump to get back on first page.

Has anyone sent in seat deposits yet?

imbored25