Alabama c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
beezy08

Bronze

Re: Alabama c/o 2015

Post by beezy08 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 am

Checking in! Just paid my deposit this morning

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:37 am

beezy08 wrote:Checking in! Just paid my deposit this morning
Glad to hear it!

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:46 pm

murray18 wrote:
beezy08 wrote:Checking in! Just paid my deposit this morning
Glad to hear it!
Thanks, I am pretty excited to have finally decided. I also got a wonderful welcome phone call from Claude within about 4 minutes of emailing her my intent form, she is the greatest!

creader

New

Post by creader » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:34 pm

If you play golf, and are any decent, the links will seriously bore you. Over half the holes are just back and forth straitaways, so it isn't much of a challenge, or much fun. It definitely isn't worth it imho. Also,

http://crime.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/1 ... the-links/

and

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... /100519481

Bmarce

Bronze

Post by Bmarce » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I sent in my deposit yesterday. Can anyone offer opinions on Harbrooke Downs and Capstone Cottages?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 pm

This thread desperately needs attention.

All future UA Law students please report.

I have a house rented already (with the SO), so I'm no help as far as 1 bedrooms go. Good luck to those looking.

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 am

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:This thread desperately needs attention.

All future UA Law students please report.

I have a house rented already (with the SO), so I'm no help as far as 1 bedrooms go. Good luck to those looking.
Well I'm glad you're here because my bf and I are looking to rent a house and I am struggling a bit. How did you go about it? I've been contacting some rental companies that I found online but still haven't found all that much.

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 am

beezy08 wrote:Well I'm glad you're here because my bf and I are looking to rent a house and I am struggling a bit. How did you go about it? I've been contacting some rental companies that I found online but still haven't found all that much.
We rented in what's left of the Forest Lake neighborhood. There is a lot there for rent but you really have to drive through and collect phone numbers, a lot of the property management companies don't have websites.

We rented from Owen Meredith and Sons Properties, which does have a website: http://omsrentals.com/index.php/property-search

Might be worth a look.

There was actually a place just a couple houses down that says it's available 8/15, which was too late, but the current tenants were not sure if they were staying in Tuscaloosa or not. They said if they were going to leave, they would be gone early. It's 302 22nd st., I think. If you check with OMS, they may be able to tell you if they've gotten word from the current tenants.

The Queen City area is also nice, but the part that isn't completely overrun with undergrads is quite pricey.

I wanted to be able to bike to the law school, so I stayed as close as I could. If you don't mind commuting, Northport is a nice area.

Also, I have pets, so we really needed a house. There are decent apartments around, but we really didn't look closely at those.

Hope all that helps!

beezy08

Bronze

Post by beezy08 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:01 pm

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:
beezy08 wrote:Well I'm glad you're here because my bf and I are looking to rent a house and I am struggling a bit. How did you go about it? I've been contacting some rental companies that I found online but still haven't found all that much.
We rented in what's left of the Forest Lake neighborhood. There is a lot there for rent but you really have to drive through and collect phone numbers, a lot of the property management companies don't have websites.

We rented from Owen Meredith and Sons Properties, which does have a website: http://omsrentals.com/index.php/property-search

Might be worth a look.

There was actually a place just a couple houses down that says it's available 8/15, which was too late, but the current tenants were not sure if they were staying in Tuscaloosa or not. They said if they were going to leave, they would be gone early. It's 302 22nd st., I think. If you check with OMS, they may be able to tell you if they've gotten word from the current tenants.

The Queen City area is also nice, but the part that isn't completely overrun with undergrads is quite pricey.

I wanted to be able to bike to the law school, so I stayed as close as I could. If you don't mind commuting, Northport is a nice area.

Also, I have pets, so we really needed a house. There are decent apartments around, but we really didn't look closely at those.

Hope all that helps!
Thank you! I am doing all of this from FL so I am basically having to use the internet to find places, which sucks for finding houses, but we really don't want an apartment. I will contact OMS though and am probably gonna go up next weekend to search.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Thank you! I am doing all of this from FL so I am basically having to use the internet to find places, which sucks for finding houses, but we really don't want an apartment. I will contact OMS though and am probably gonna go up next weekend to search.
It's definitely worth it to go check around in person. We made the trip from TN to see the OMS properties, but were really surprised at how many places had "for rent" signs out front that we never would have known about otherwise.

Also, Tuscaloosa does have some areas that I would not want to live in. It can be hit or miss, one block to the next. You can go from an immaculately maintained neighborhood to a run-down neighborhood with houses practically falling over just by crossing a street. Maybe a longer-term resident would disagree, but that was my impression. Driving around town is really the only way to get a feel for what areas feel right for you.

I'm also a little older, so it was important to me that I wouldn't live right in party-central (I'm in my late 20's, old man!). I felt like the area over by Queen City Ave was really heavily undergrad populated and I just can't deal with that.

Forest lake seemed like a good balance, but it's only half there since the tornado. Pretty shocking to see, actually.

mleighb12

New

Post by mleighb12 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Sending in my seat deposit! I went to Bama for undergrad and am so happy to be heading back to T-town for 3 more years!

RollTide8756

New

Alabama c/o 2015

Post by RollTide8756 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Sending in my seat deposit as well. I'm currently an undergrad here so if anyone has any questions about the town or housing, I'd be more than willing to throw in my two cents.

AndrewMSH

New

Post by AndrewMSH » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Deposited too. Looking forward to the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mleighb12

New

Post by mleighb12 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm looking for a female roommate for next year. If anyone is interested, send me a message.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Went down to the wire, but looks like I'm in.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh, and roll tide.

sinisterkid

New

Post by sinisterkid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:Went down to the wire, but looks like I'm in.
Congrats. Mind sharing dates/numbers? Also, how were you notified?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 pm

sinisterkid wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:Went down to the wire, but looks like I'm in.
Congrats. Mind sharing dates/numbers? Also, how were you notified?
168/2.95. Was actually notified back in november, I just finally made the decision today. I just realized sayin "in" was a little missleading.

Deathcab

New

Post by Deathcab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey everyone, congrats on getting in (if you've been accepted already) and don't give up yet if you haven't gotten the call yet (they are still making decisions with a GOOD number of offers to be made yet -- trust me) They are also sending acceptance packages via UPS in large numbers so its likely that big numbers of people will get their stuff on the same day as they make more offers. If you have any questions I can try to answer them or help.

I'm a 2L here and will be out of town working for the summer and my place is going to be sitting empty so if anyone needs a place for May, June, and or July let me know as I'm looking to sublet it. It's literally the closest apartment building to the Law School (Crimson Place -- about half a mile) and the units are gated with reserved parking, 24 hour workout facilities and one of the more popular pools in Tuscaloosa for the summer (it's always packed and loud -- love it or hate it)

So if anyone is going to be taking the summer class offered or just hanging out for the summer let me know and we can work something out! Good luck everyone!

sinstrike

New

Looking for Roommates this Summer and/or Fall

Post by sinstrike » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Never thought I'd hear myself say it but...ROLL TIDE! Hey guys, just checking in here (this is my first post on these forums). I've been accepted to UALaw and I'm going to be attending as part of the class of 2015.

I'm signed up to take the summer classes starting at the end of May through the end of July...is anyone else here doing that? I am looking for any potential roommates for both the summer and/or the fall. I have never been to Tuscaloosa, but I hear it is amazing and as soon as I graduate, I will be taking a tour of the whole city to find the best place to live.

Some quick stats about me: 22 y/o white male, and I currently go to the University of South Carolina in Columbia. Let me know if any of you guys would be interested in potentially being roommates (shoot me a PM).

Until then, can't wait to meet all of you in the coming months. I am VERY EXCITED to be going to Alabama! 8)
Last edited by sinstrike on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melsbells

New

Post by melsbells » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi, everyone! Going to be visiting Alabama in the next week or so just to check it out but i'm pretty sure that's where i'm gonna end up!

Roll Tide!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sgoodman

New

Post by sgoodman » Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 am

Last edited by sgoodman on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTRtarheel

New

Post by RTRtarheel » Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm going to be a 2L this coming fall if anyone has any questions about Tuscaloosa/law school.

Also, if anyone is looking for housing I'm currently in the market for another roommate. I'm renting a house with another law student (2L also). It is located in Northport and it has been almost entirely renovated during the past year (the kitchen is currently being redone). It has a nice backyard, wood floors throughout, and it is located in a nice quiet neighborhood. The rent for the open room is 400/month which includes all utilities (electric, water, cable/internet, etc). If anyone is interested or has questions about the room feel free to PM me.

irish1485

Bronze

Post by irish1485 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:54 am

Anybody else get their sections this morning?

murray18

Bronze

Post by murray18 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 am

irish1485 wrote:Anybody else get their sections this morning?
Yep. Section 2, section 7 for legal writing. How about you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”