WUSTL Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
flyingduck

New

Re: WUSTL Class of 2015

Post by flyingduck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Birdnals wrote:
flyingduck wrote:
butchcassidy wrote:What are you guys doing for housing?
I believe I just found a 1br in Clayton/Demun, directly south of campus and next to the huge park. Anyone have any advice on whether its a good area or not? I'm sure there is info in the "WUSTL 2L taking questions" thread but it will take years to go through page-by-page.

Clayton is a really nice area, and if you are close to forest park/campus then you are golden. I am probably going to rent a house with 2 or 3 professional friends. If we get the place we are currently gunning for I will probably host a pool party sometime during orientation week.

On the admitted students section of the website there is a blog, one post of which describes neighborhoods pretty well.
Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear. And I read that section but was unsure of the area about 7-8 blocks south of the law school, next to forest park. Good to hear it shouldn't be that bad. My number one concern is safety. And a pool party would be boss.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:36 pm

flyingduck wrote:Thanks for the reply. Its good to hear. And I read that section but was unsure of the area about 7-8 blocks south of the law school, next to forest park. Good to hear it shouldn't be that bad. My number one concern is safety. And a pool party would be boss.
In that area you don’t have to worry about safety nearly at all. CWE and U-City are a little bit less safe, but the worst I have hear about amongst friends who live there is a car getting broken into. Clayton is more like a mid-sized town than a part of a larger city. If safety and proximity to school are your main 2 concerns you picked the right area.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:04 pm

I'll probably end up in a 1 BR or a Studio in CWE. I don't mind the distance to the school and like the idea of being close to stuff to do. Going to be in STL sometime next month apartment hunting.

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Say I'm entertaining the idea of biking as my main transport. Is that at all feasible in St. Louis?

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:Say I'm entertaining the idea of biking as my main transport. Is that at all feasible in St. Louis?
Yes and no. STL public transportation is very bad. In the areas around Wustl you could probably get around OK as long as you live close to a metro-link stop as well as a grocery store. Also you can use things like zip car for when you need a car. Know however that St. Louis is pretty spread out when compared to other major cities, so the amount you save on insurance/gas will probably be negated in cab fares.

tl;dr= If you have a car, bring it (parking is either free or very cheap, and you will want a car). If you don’t have a car it is possible, but I would recommend at least trying to find a roommate with a car

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flyingduck

New

Post by flyingduck » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Birdnals wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:Say I'm entertaining the idea of biking as my main transport. Is that at all feasible in St. Louis?
Yes and no. STL public transportation is very bad. In the areas around Wustl you could probably get around OK as long as you live close to a metro-link stop as well as a grocery store. Also you can use things like zip car for when you need a car. Know however that St. Louis is pretty spread out when compared to other major cities, so the amount you save on insurance/gas will probably be negated in cab fares.

tl;dr= If you have a car, bring it (parking is either free or very cheap, and you will want a car). If you don’t have a car it is possible, but I would recommend at least trying to find a roommate with a car
I'm planning on bringing a car to campus. What are your thoughts on parking permits? I checked out the permits on the WUSTL website and there is a huge ($400+) difference between on-campus and off-campus parking permits.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 pm

flyingduck wrote:'m planning on bringing a car to campus. What are your thoughts on parking permits? I checked out the permits on the WUSTL website and there is a huge ($400+) difference between on-campus and off-campus parking permits.
This I don’t know about, and a current student can probably answer you better.

I can personally say I will probably be getting the standard $400 pass because, as you will soon learn, if it is more than a mile away people from St. Louis drive there, walking/public transpo wouldn’t even cross my mind as an option.

I have no idea though about any public lots or readily available street parking nearby, but a current student would. The Med school is on BJC’s campus, so I would imagine there is a shuttle that goes to the main school? That might be a possible option to check out for the extremely frugal student.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:57 pm

I know a guy who does it now. It's possible, but I would live close to campus if possible.

Regarding a permit, I didn't have one first year (took the Metro bus) and I got one this year. I thought I would go all three years without one because it is expensive, but now that I have one, I'll never go back to not having one. I am super lazy and being able to come and go as I please is awesome.

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I know a guy who does it now. It's possible, but I would live close to campus if possible.

Regarding a permit, I didn't have one first year (took the Metro bus) and I got one this year. I thought I would go all three years without one because it is expensive, but now that I have one, I'll never go back to not having one. I am super lazy and being able to come and go as I please is awesome.
Is there any time of the day where it is hard to find parking in one of the two lots close to the law school?

flyingduck

New

Post by flyingduck » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:41 pm

6thbackstreetboy wrote:You have officially just entered the best "Class of 2015" thread on TLS. Congratulations.

I'm 98.3% set on WUSTL. Anyone else? I know I can't be the only one that was wooed by the insane amounts of money.

If you haven't already, make sure to visit the WUSTL 2L Taking Questions thread. The amount of detailed information in there will blow your mind.
Might want to post a link to the facebook page in the first post.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi all,

this is a shameful plug but, to try to make up for it i have some advice about where to live in the last paragraph of this post.

my current roommate (a 2L like me) is doing an externship next year in a different city and I'm trying to see if anyone would like take his place.... if interested, contact me and i'll give you more details, but the Pros of living here would be that it's in Central West End, the living room and dining room are already furnished and you would get master bedroom with private bath.

Here's some unsolicited advice, which involves something one of my friends learned the hard way: The neighborhood I live in, "Central West End," technically spans from Union Blvd & Forest Park to the west to Boyle Avenue to the east, and from I-64 to the south to Delmar Blvd to the north. Rent within these boundaries will be higher than locations right outside of them. However, the real perks from living in CWE comes from living in close proximity to the hospital which will put you a mere 5 to 10-min walk away from over 30 places to eat, 10 bars, 4 coffee shops, a library, a movie theatre, a grocery store, a bank, a metro stop, and classmates and friends. Boundaries for this would be Forest Park Ave to the south, Maryland Avenue to the north, N Newstead Avenue to the east, and Kingshighway Blvd to the west. Outside of these particular boundaries, CWE can get somewhat sketchy (despite the fact that CWE as a whole is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd safest place to live in STL).

If anyone needs help deciding which neighborhood to live in or help with anything else, I'm up for answering any questions you guys may have.

Clint Eastwood

Silver

Post by Clint Eastwood » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:12 pm

http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=18344

The real reason we're all going here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm

Soooo, did everybody who didn’t get Webster Society get told they were held as an “alternate” or is this any different than just a straight up “gtfo of here with that weak ass app”

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Birdnals wrote:Soooo, did everybody who didn’t get Webster Society get told they were held as an “alternate” or is this any different than just a straight up “gtfo of here with that weak ass app”
Came here to ask this. :lol:
It was the main reason I still hadn't withdrawn at this point, so I suppose I can probably just send that email. Good luck everyone. :)

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 am

Hey guys!
Do you already know where you're going to live?
I was thinking of renting an apartment at U-City or Clayton, but I can't find anything I like.
I really want to be close to school and the best place (closest) I found was through Quadrangle Housing. I saw pictures of the apartment and it looks a bit old, so I'm afraid it will be worse in reality. And by the way, I won't be able to visit so I'll have to pick based on photos...
Is it better to look for an apartment in June/ July (maybe more offers)? Or should I rent asap?
Thanks!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

Unagi wrote:Hey guys!
I was thinking of renting an apartment at U-City or Clayton, but I can't find anything I like.
I really want to be close to school and the best place (closest) I found was through Quadrangle Housing. I saw pictures of the apartment and it looks a bit old, so I'm afraid it will be worse in reality. And by the way, I won't be able to visit so I'll have to pick based on photos...
Is it better to look for an apartment in June/ July (maybe more offers)? Or should I rent asap?
Thanks!
Maybe ask in the FB group? Somebody in the group might be going to a housing day and be willing to take pictures for you?
I know I am setting up where I am living this week, but I have roommates who live in St. Louis and are going to check out the place before we sign. It is a house in CWE. There will be more available popping up as landlords find out who is and isn’t going to continue renting with them. Keep on checking padmapper/zillow/ craigslist for something you will like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Thu May 03, 2012 10:33 am

wash u is a great school in a really cool town. Enjoy, guys!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm probably going to head to STL to apartment hunt in a few weeks, shit's getting real :P

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu May 03, 2012 1:09 pm

2014 wrote:I'm probably going to head to STL to apartment hunt in a few weeks, shit's getting real :P
I have a countdown on my calendar of work days left (51 days). I’m excited about having the entire month of August with nothing to do but hang with friends and get settled in.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I have Mid-May to Mid-June with no obligations at all and I'm looking forward to taking full advantage. My summer job is far more fun than it is work too so after next week I'm really looking forward for the next 3 months overall. I'm probably going to be some combination of scared shitless and excited when I move to STL in mid August though. Hopefully 2 weeks is sufficient to get moved in and stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:40 am

Looks like the first housing day was changed to June 21st, I could have sworn that I looked at it this weekend and it was the 14th. Shame, I could have made the one on the 14th :(

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 am

Unagi wrote:Hey guys!
Thanks!
If you're not gonna be living here til August, just wait. I didn't start looking til mid-August and had tons of options. No need to hurry, especially if that means you won't be able to visit at all, or will be paying rent without leving there.

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I'll be attending WUSTL Law this fall!

acadec

Bronze

Post by acadec » Wed May 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Checking in; I've been off the boards for a month or two, but I'm definitely going to WUSTL. Stoked to see you all this fall!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”