W&L c/o 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Where are you living?

Generals Retreat
2
20%
Apartment downtown
3
30%
House downtown
0
No votes
Pikes Place
1
10%
Out of Town
2
20%
Other?
2
20%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 am

mcdeeremitch wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
wvuchip wrote:I called Reel and she basically refused to help me find a place that took pets, so I just went down there and found my awesome place within literally 10 minutes.

So she's a shitty realtor is my point, I guess.


i wouldn't call her shitty, shes a realtor helping students find rentals for free, no charge for the student..if you go to a real city and seek help like that they will probably charge you. In actuality shes paid to help place tenants in apartments/homes that shes the listing agent for, anything else isn't really her responsibility, or the responsibility of any other realtor who is not charging a fee.

it is pretty easy to find a place without a realtor though


How do i go about finding a place if I can't get down there till mid-june....Im looking for a 3 bedroom within walking distance to school and downtown


i would say check the newspaper listings online here http://www.lexingtonva.com/index.php/cl ... ories/C15/, idk if general's offers 3 beds but if they do you can check them out. As far as talking to realtors, i decided on w&l back in november but when i started talking to realtors they told me to not even contact them until a week or 2 before i come, because contacting them too early won't really do much, unless you are willing to pay a deposit before you even see it

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 pm

anjmissy wrote:here is what a current resident of retreat said to me about a few weeks ago

Congratulations on being admitted! I'll give you some pros and cons for General's Retreat to give you an idea of what its like.

Pros
Its walking distance to downtown and school. To school it takes 10-12 minutes door to door in cold weather. This is nice because going home in the middle of the day is no hassle and there is really no commute to school. To downtown its like a five minute walk which is important for if/when you want to go out to the bars/restaurants or parties. Some of my friends who live a little further out there near Walmart, have a more difficult time finding a way home. There is traveller for those folks but its nice to just be able to walk. Also, this is a second pro, a bunch of friends live at GR so I can always find someone to walk home with. Lexington is safe so I definitely feel fine walking home alone, but its nice to walk with someone.

Its two floors so it feels bigger and works well when having guests over. Personally, I feel like the two floors is awesome and since it separates the bedrooms from the common areas (kitchen/living room) its great for having parties. I know that my bedroom is separate from the party people. Also, related to having guests over, there is plenty of parking and my guests never have a problem parking when they come over. Also, I have a dog so the two floors really works well for me.

It has a really nice and new washer and dryer, hardwood floors throughout, a renovated kitchen with nice counters, and from me and some of my friends, they threw in a free TV. These are all things that some of my friends who live in other places don't have.

The management has been really good with me and responding to any requests or repairs that I've needed. They are really friendly and have been nice to deal with, compared to some of my friend's experiences with old and grumpy landlords.

Cons
There are some things that I would want to change about my apartment. Note that many of these things are true for many/most apartments in lexington because the buildings are older. The walls are paper thin. Many times, I can hear my neighbors. However, even though the walls are thin its not noisy. I can definitely study at home if I want to. On Friday and Saturday nights you can expect it to be noisier if your neighbors are having guests over, but I think thats true anywhere where you have neighbors who are students. Also, the upstairs is always nice and cozy but the first floor can be chillier. I have rugs, which help, and I just blast the heat. Surprisingly, my utilities have not been crazy even though I blast the heat and sometimes forget to turn it off when I leave the house ($100ish a month).

Overall, I like it here. Its a nice, clean space and I love the two floors. I live alone and I use the second bedroom as a study/extra storage. I know one of my friends has a roommate and they seem to be doing fine. I happen to think the second bedroom is a little too tiny to fit all of the bedroom furniture in their comfortably, but I may just be a bit high maintenance lol. I wanted to live alone because at this point in my life I'm over the roommate thing. Considering how busy law school is, I wanted to be able to come, home, lounge on my couch and not have to worry about a roommate. However, many of my friends do have roommates and are happy. It all depends on personal preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions about General's Retreat or W&L more generally! Good luck!


her reviews were really helpful and in the end it helped me decided against retreat, but mainly because of price.


Decided to go with General's retreat. I think there's a bunch of living there. I might need to get a bike though.

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed May 30, 2012 11:44 am

Paid second deposit...getting really excited now!!

crouton62
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby crouton62 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi so I've had a change of plans involving W&L Law, but not before I secured a lovely apartment in Lexington. It is above the men's shop Alvin Dennis which is on the corner of Washington and Jefferson Streets, directly across from the main W&L campus and a ten minute walk to the law school. Cannot beat the location. PM me here for more detail if interested. If you know of any other incoming law students who still need housing, please let me know via PM as well and I can coordinate with them via email. Thanks.

djis
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby djis » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Anyone still looking for housing? My house is available mid-August!

Five bedroom, two bath house available for rent at 104 Tucker St. Best suited for three individuals or a family. Walking distance to Washington and Lee, VMI, and downtown Lexington. Available August 2012. Rent is $1350/month plus utilities. Call David Stull at (540)460-1111 (or PM me for details.

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am

Anyone hear what type of incoming numbers we're looking at for c/o2015? The e-mail about the refund on the deposit seemed like they wanted to shed a couple before the fall.

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Well the suspicion of over enrollment has been comfirmed. I bet the class size is closer to 165 then 135. I wonder what the implications of a much larger class size is, especially when a lot of schools are shedding numbers.

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:Well the suspicion of over enrollment has been comfirmed. I bet the class size is closer to 165 then 135. I wonder what the implications of a much larger class size is, especially when a lot of schools are shedding numbers.


I'm pretty sure its closer to 200 minus the few that have already decided to defer... but hopefully they will start shedding numbers now that he sent out the mass email

SPE155
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby SPE155 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:Well the suspicion of over enrollment has been comfirmed. I bet the class size is closer to 165 then 135. I wonder what the implications of a much larger class size is, especially when a lot of schools are shedding numbers.


I'm pretty sure its closer to 200 minus the few that have already decided to defer... but hopefully they will start shedding numbers now that he sent out the mass email


What makes you think the size is near 200?

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:37 pm

SPE155 wrote:
mcdeeremitch wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:Well the suspicion of over enrollment has been comfirmed. I bet the class size is closer to 165 then 135. I wonder what the implications of a much larger class size is, especially when a lot of schools are shedding numbers.


I'm pretty sure its closer to 200 minus the few that have already decided to defer... but hopefully they will start shedding numbers now that he sent out the mass email


What makes you think the size is near 200?


When i was in Lex a couple of weeks ago looking for a house..I went by the bookstore and was talking to a lady that works there and she was telling my that the class size was much more than expected and was around 200 at that moment...I dont think we have to worry that much Im sure they will get the class size back down to around where they want it


Edit: I also wouldn't put 100% trust in that because I would assume the actual specifc number is kept as a pretty well guarded secret

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:15 pm

it is 200..i actually did an email search on the directory and there are 200 email addresses for 15L students

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:31 pm

anjmissy wrote:it is 200..i actually did an email search on the directory and there are 200 email addresses for 15L students


Well there you have it then....for anyone really considering the offer i suggest you consult the negotiating scholarship thread on the forum since W&L is handing out leverage on a silver platter

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

I wonder what Brett Twitty's new 'target' is. Do you think that he can get 50 people to defer? 25% of the incoming class is a lot, especially since it is almost July.

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:I wonder what Brett Twitty's new 'target' is. Do you think that he can get 50 people to defer? 25% of the incoming class is a lot, especially since it is almost July.


yeah..im pretty sure it can be done..i didnt think the offer was that tempting, if i defer that means i would have to start paying on my undergrad loans sooner, will have to work at my job longer, try to find someone to sublease my awesome apartment thats so close to school..so i dont think its worth it to me, but others may think so..also does anyone else find it annoying how current students think we aren't "relaxing" merely because we have discussions about things..like dang i feel like every other convo we start on the fb group someone is like "chill, relax for the summer"..like come on..lol..idk why people assume that just because you are discussing future things you arent relaxing.

also my guess is the new target is like 160

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby wvu » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:20 pm

When I was at Wake for ASW they talked about how for the class of 14 they overshot their target the same way, and they basically added another section so people still had small sections, but the overall class size was larger. Not sure how that would affect the "feel" of the school, but if we got down to 160-ish I think it wouldn't be too bad. I just hope we're not going to have to double up on carrels or anything.

anjmissy wrote:also does anyone else find it annoying how current students think we aren't "relaxing" merely because we have discussions about things..like dang i feel like every other convo we start on the fb group someone is like "chill, relax for the summer"..like come on..lol..idk why people assume that just because you are discussing future things you arent relaxing.

Seriously. I have 6 hours a day to kill at my boring IT job, what else am I going to do but browse Facebook/TLS and talk about the upcoming year? :lol:

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:44 pm

I know right..like they expect for us to be on a beach chilling somewhere 24/7..idk about anyone else but at the top of my things to do to relax list is to do mindless internet stuff..lol

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 am

anjmissy wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:I wonder what Brett Twitty's new 'target' is. Do you think that he can get 50 people to defer? 25% of the incoming class is a lot, especially since it is almost July.


yeah..im pretty sure it can be done..i didnt think the offer was that tempting, if i defer that means i would have to start paying on my undergrad loans sooner, will have to work at my job longer, try to find someone to sublease my awesome apartment thats so close to school..so i dont think its worth it to me, but others may think so..also does anyone else find it annoying how current students think we aren't "relaxing" merely because we have discussions about things..like dang i feel like every other convo we start on the fb group someone is like "chill, relax for the summer"..like come on..lol..idk why people assume that just because you are discussing future things you arent relaxing.

also my guess is the new target is like 160


We have chosen a career in law. It is only natural that we are going to over-analyze,stress and talk about our incoming class. This is pretty important stuff IMO. Increasing a class size from 135 to 160 is definitely worthy of discussion.

Current students do have wisdom when it comes to the summer prior to 1L. And I will heed their advice by quitting my job a month before classes start and drive across country, but I still think I can "chill" and talk about what the makeup of my incoming class will be like.

fightin4lawschool
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby fightin4lawschool » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:53 am

Probably no wait list work then? Still hoping!

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:33 am

If they are trimming 30+ people from the class..its highly unlikely they move to the waitlist

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:38 pm

anjmissy wrote:If they are trimming 30+ people from the class..its highly unlikely they move to the waitlist


Id have to agree...probably the only way there is movement from the waitlist is if in their haste to get people to defer they trim off their median numbers and pull one or two from waitlist to prop it back up...but very unlikely

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm

i def have wayyy too much time on my hands at work..but from looking up emails it seems like they are at 160 now..soo im moving into my apartment on Aug 11th and i am bringing a bunch of ikea things (you know what that means)...putting together my furniture party..lol..il probably post this on the fb group closer to the day but il prob get a couple of pizzas and beers if people want to come over and help me put together all of this stuff..lol

User avatar
CwallXC322
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby CwallXC322 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 pm

anjmissy wrote:i def have wayyy too much time on my hands at work..but from looking up emails it seems like they are at 160 now..soo im moving into my apartment on Aug 11th and i am bringing a bunch of ikea things (you know what that means)...putting together my furniture party..lol..il probably post this on the fb group closer to the day but il prob get a couple of pizzas and beers if people want to come over and help me put together all of this stuff..lol


I'd love to but I'm not getting to Lexington until August 18. Is there an ikea near Lexington? I was thinking I would have to get all my furniture from Wal-Mart.

How do you look up the e-mails? If that number is accurate, then Brett Twitty did a pretty awesome job of reducing the class size quickly.

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:i def have wayyy too much time on my hands at work..but from looking up emails it seems like they are at 160 now..soo im moving into my apartment on Aug 11th and i am bringing a bunch of ikea things (you know what that means)...putting together my furniture party..lol..il probably post this on the fb group closer to the day but il prob get a couple of pizzas and beers if people want to come over and help me put together all of this stuff..lol


I'd love to but I'm not getting to Lexington until August 18. Is there an ikea near Lexington? I was thinking I would have to get all my furniture from Wal-Mart.

How do you look up the e-mails? If that number is accurate, then Brett Twitty did a pretty awesome job of reducing the class size quickly.


well if you go to your wlu email and click on the "to" icon when composing a new email..you can search all members in the wlu law family..so i jus counted the ones that said 2015..lol..and nope theres no ikea near lexington, im going to the one in woodbridge..ive been in dc this summer so on my travel to lexington il pick up a uhaul and tote it with me..they do have a shipping option though, i just thought it was too much.

also there is a furniture store in lexington that have ok prices..there called grand home furnishings, its right on main i think..i think i may get a sofa from there, i purchased a lot of items from the guy currently in my place (a huge office desk, bookcase, and dining table and chairs)..im just pickn up bedroom pieces from ikea

edit: yes it does appear that admissions did an awesome job narrowing it down..with still time to spare as well..lol

mcdeeremitch
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby mcdeeremitch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Has anyone started looking at cable/satellite and internet providers in Lex., just wanted to see what options were out there and how much??

User avatar
anjmissy
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:40 am

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Postby anjmissy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

directv was offering me a great 29.99 price for tv but i was told i couldnt put a dish on a downtown building..sooo..im stuck with comcast..il probably get there 39.99 tv package but i may wait to see if they have any more promotions before i get it..i also just recently contacted dominion to start my power on aug 1st and they quoted me an average $58 a month for that area (downtown apartments), so i guess thats not that bad

also im confused by the whole our deposit being applied to our tuition thing..does that mean our fall refund check will include our deposit money or does it mean that the loans that we requested will be lowered..if that makes any sense.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest