University of Washington Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby cougarlive » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Wow thanks for the info that's really helpful info.. Thanks. I'm not into the whole college drinking/party atmosphere, so despite the proximity to the law school, the u district prolly isn't the best idea for my small family.

I wouldn't mind a bus commute that's a little longer (where I can at least read), I just don't want to drive more than 20 min( not to mention what was said about the parking situation an how expensive the passes are). I commute an hour each way for work, which gets really old really quick. Automatically turns a 40 hour work week into a 50 hour, and I'll need every extra hour I can save during 1L.

for the poster above who mentioned commuting an hour and twenty min., that sounds rough! Hopefully you don't have to do that all 3 years.

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I'll most likely be a UW '15. Grew up in Tacoma; have lived in Capitol Hill, Ballard, and International District as an adult. The trick with housing will be to find a neighborhood close enough to the law school to commute by public transit, foot, or bike (driving strongly recommended against!) while still avoiding the overpriced-yet-lousy housing options in the immediate vicinity of the school/"the ave"/the frats.
I'm looking for a house in Ravenna, north U-District, or Wallingford -- preferably somewhere close to the Burke-Gilman, a biking/walking path that passes through the University.
I'd love to answer any questions about Seattle or the Northwest and I encourage everyone to come see the area during ASW. UW has been an underrated school, though that was recently partially remedied in the latest USNWR rankings (top 20). http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

fosterp
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:09 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby fosterp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 pm

dome wrote:I'll most likely be a UW '15. Grew up in Tacoma; have lived in Capitol Hill, Ballard, and International District as an adult. The trick with housing will be to find a neighborhood close enough to the law school to commute by public transit, foot, or bike (driving strongly recommended against!) while still avoiding the overpriced-yet-lousy housing options in the immediate vicinity of the school/"the ave"/the frats.
I'm looking for a house in Ravenna, north U-District, or Wallingford -- preferably somewhere close to the Burke-Gilman, a biking/walking path that passes through the University.
I'd love to answer any questions about Seattle or the Northwest and I encourage everyone to come see the area during ASW. UW has been an underrated school, though that was recently partially remedied in the latest USNWR rankings (top 20). http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings


Can you tell us how accurate the public transit time schedule is? I am looking at a place in kenmore, and the bus route shows about a 35 minute ride from the P&R up there. This seems to be pretty idealistic and I would think it could change substantially depending on traffic conditions.

Also, anyone going to the Sounders game after ASW? Looks like they are offering free tickets to the first 20 students.

honeynutt
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby honeynutt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56 pm

How is everyone going about finding housing/roommates? I know some other schools have a housing forum for admitted students that want to find roommates. Does UW have anything like that?

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:13 am

fosterp wrote:Can you tell us how accurate the public transit time schedule is? I am looking at a place in kenmore, and the bus route shows about a 35 minute ride from the P&R up there. This seems to be pretty idealistic and I would think it could change substantially depending on traffic conditions.


The buses are reliable and clean. They're not always perfectly on time but they're much better than in other cities I've lived (Los Angeles, Chicago). Though I can't claim to have firsthand knowledge of the bus route you're investigating I do know that Kenmore isn't actually too far away from the U-District. If you need to transfer then you should expect to give yourself ample time to make the transfer. Then, given that, I'd say that the bus times would be consistent since you're not crossing over any bridges.

You can pick up an "orca" transit card so you don't need to carry around exact change all the time.

To sweeten the deal, the buses are free to ride in the downtown area.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm

tag

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Does anyone live in Capitol Hill? Or even farther south in the Intl District? How's the commute? Bike-able? It looks alright (4mi, < 30min) from google maps, but was wondering if anyone had experience.

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Does anyone live in Capitol Hill? Or even farther south in the Intl District? How's the commute? Bike-able? It looks alright (4mi, < 30min) from google maps, but was wondering if anyone had experience.


Biking in Seattle means biking big hills and biking in wet conditions. If you're ok with that the commute won't be too difficult.

A bike commute from Capitol Hill to the U-District will be fast and convenient. Depending on what part of the hill you're on you can either just ride over to 23rd/24th and cross the Montlake Bridge OR find the bike path the runs on the east side of I-5 and take that to the University Bridge.

Biking to the U-District from the International District (I-D) is going to be longer and involve navigating around hills. It will either involve an aggressive ride through Downtown to Eastlake and over the University Bridge OR the route over Capitol Hill, down 23rd (which becomes 24th) and over the Montlake Bridge.

--
Even for an avid cyclist, surmounting Capitol Hill on the ride back from the U-District will be a challenge, at least at first. It's very steep. The route back to the I-D that involves Capitol Hill will be similarly difficult. The route to the I-D through Eastlake and Downtown won't be as bad until you climb up Jackson in the I-D.

I used to ride from the I-D up to Greenwood as part of my daily commute, so I know this type of biking in Seattle is both doable and enjoyable. Still, I'd only advise people with good bikes with fenders, waterproof panniers, messenger bags, or backpacks, basic mechanical knowledge of their bikes, and strong legs and lungs to attempt this type of riding.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Awesome, thanks so much for the information. I'm coming from the bay area-- less hilly but maybe similarly wet. I only asked about ID and Capitol Hill because those are the neighborhoods I've been to, years ago now. I tend to like to live in busy areas/lots of foot traffic/less residential, if you have any suggestions for other neighborhoods!

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015 NOW W/ PICS

Postby barrotmartin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Since this thread is kinda dead I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw up a bunch of pictures of UW and the surrounding neighborhood for those of us coming from far away...
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Astronomy Building
Image
Allegro Cafe.
Image

I didn't take any of these and have never been to UW's campus/University District. Post more! Especially inside Gates Hall. Folks going to ASW?

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015 NOW W/ PICS

Postby dome » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

barrotmartin wrote:Since this thread is kinda dead I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw up a bunch of pictures of UW and the surrounding neighborhood for those of us coming from far away...
...
I didn't take any of these and have never been to UW's campus/University District. Post more! Especially inside Gates Hall. Folks going to ASW?


Thanks for the pics. I'll be there next weekend. Came out to Boston for BU's this weekend -- made me want to go to UW even more.

As an aside, there are like half a dozen pho places on the ave. I used to work on the ave and I'm partial to Than Brothers (in the second photo). Thai Thom, which is a little further up north on the ave, is also great and worth the wait. Flowers has an awesome veggie lunch buffet and there's some good falafel around too.
The ave is cool but it gets old. It might look nice now but it's got a well-deserved reputation for rowdiness and it caters to an undergrad and traveling-kid crowd.
It's not a great place for getting a beer unless you like sports bars or faux-Irish pubs.
North U-District has better food and better drinking.

Second aside, if you're coming from the Bay Area you would probably find something most similar in Capitol Hill or the CD. The other neighborhoods I'd recommend offer more of a mature, mellower vibe: Columbia City, Beacon Hill, Ballard, Fremont. Some people like Belltown but I don't.

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Just one more plug for Capitol Hill, if you're looking for less-residential, it's about as good as you can get -- It's the most densely-populated neighborhood in between San Francisco's Chinatown and Vancouver's West End.

rageking
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby rageking » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey everyone! I decided to go to ASW. Grew up in North Seattle, went to Garfield High School, and just finishing my last year of undergrad in NYC. The NYC UW Law Alumni Club threw a nice breakfast out here this week and I got to meet one of the 3L's that will be on the panel for ASW. Super excited to be coming back and hopefully meet some of you guys!

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Thanks Dome! for the neighborhoods and the word on food. Yeah from what I can tell UDistrict reminds me of Berkeley's fairly d-baggish drinking scene. Are you at UW law now? Do you know of folks who regularly commute from Capitol Hill?

Also found some more pics here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&start=450#p4056646

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm not at UW Law now (I live in LA) but I really want to matriculate this fall and probably will if and when I get scholarship information back from them. There's only one person I know currently at UW Law and I believe they live in the U-District, though they spend most of their time studying in neighborhoods with better coffee shops like Capitol Hill and Pioneer Square.

The only disadvantage I can see to living in Capitol Hill for a 1L is the commute to the law school. I think I'll want to live as close as possible as soon as the quarter starts.

honeynutt
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:17 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby honeynutt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 pm

dome wrote:I'm not at UW Law now (I live in LA) but I really want to matriculate this fall and probably will if and when I get scholarship information back from them. There's only one person I know currently at UW Law and I believe they live in the U-District, though they spend most of their time studying in neighborhoods with better coffee shops like Capitol Hill and Pioneer Square.

The only disadvantage I can see to living in Capitol Hill for a 1L is the commute to the law school. I think I'll want to live as close as possible as soon as the quarter starts.


Are you in undergrad right now or working? I'm finishing up undergrad in LA right now and leaning towards UW for this fall. I've only spent a week total in Seattle though and can't decide if it would be better to live closer to the school the first year or farther away. I feel like I don't know enough about Seattle or anyone there really to make a good decision.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 pm

The commute from UDistrict-- and being in proximity to other law students fresh to Seattle-- seems like a real draw to staying nearby at least for 1L. Though who knows, I spent my undergrad living away from campus where I was much happier to hang out with non-students. Wish I could come next weekend, but I guess a visit is in order somewhere down the line.

I'm filling out UW's $ application as we speak, Willfulness and the Debt Contract. UW your top choice?
Last edited by barrotmartin on Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dome
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby dome » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:45 pm

honeynutt wrote:Are you in undergrad right now or working? I'm finishing up undergrad in LA right now and leaning towards UW for this fall. I've only spent a week total in Seattle though and can't decide if it would be better to live closer to the school the first year or farther away. I feel like I don't know enough about Seattle or anyone there really to make a good decision.

I'm working.
You'll really have to "consider the source" about this advice since I am a Washingtonian at heart (and raised to hate Southern Californians) but I'd tell you that the NW is a lot different than SoCal. I'm not going to overly-caricaturize both regions as I'm sure you know the stereotypes, but living in Seattle does not require a car in the way that it does in LA. I think this is a good thing.
I also think that even though you'll be very busy your 1L year, Seattle is a great place to make friends. The students I've met at UW tend to be very smart, quirky, and friendly. There's a huge undergrad population if you tend towards a younger crowd and lots of professional and graduate students in addition to the law school if you're into a "mature" scene.
And if/once you outgrow the U-District there are many many more neighborhoods to explore.
If you end up not liking Seattle then LA is never that far away.
Both cities share the West Coast vibe and culture.

barrotmartin wrote:The commute from UDistrict-- and being in proximity to other law students fresh to Seattle-- seems like a real draw to staying nearby at least for 1L. Though who knows, I spent my undergrad living away from campus where I was much happier to hang out with non-students. Wish I could come next weekend, but I guess a visit is in order somewhere down the line.

I'm filling out UW's $ application as we speak/trying to figure out if I should defer a year and take on a salaried job for the local public defense office. I'd really like to get started with school but the job prospects seem so whack and from what I hear some relevant WE in your field is a boost. Willfulness and the Debt Contract. UW your top choice?

Yeah, UW is my top choice. It wasn't at first but after investigating other schools and considering where I'd like to begin my career I realized it's perfect for me.

tjddk
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby tjddk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 pm

dome wrote:I am a Washingtonian at heart (and raised to hate Southern Californians) but I'd tell you that the NW is a lot different than SoCal. I'm not going to overly-caricaturize both regions as I'm sure you know the stereotypes, but living in Seattle does not require a car in the way that it does in LA. I think this is a good thing.
I also think that even though you'll be very busy your 1L year, Seattle is a great place to make friends. The students I've met at UW tend to be very smart, quirky, and friendly. There's a huge undergrad population if you tend towards a younger crowd and lots of professional and graduate students in addition to the law school if you're into a "mature" scene.
And if/once you outgrow the U-District there are many many more neighborhoods to explore.
If you end up not liking Seattle then LA is never that far away.
Both cities share the West Coast vibe and culture.


This is my dilemma, trying to choose between Seattle and LA... Didn't think it would be even close, but the more I imagine myself in LA, the less I get excited about ucla. I'm actually a Californian, but also grew up hating SoCal. Doesn't help that I seem to switch between UW and UCLA each week...

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby cougarlive » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Anyone going to ASW? Bringing a guest? Just wondering if the guest is invited to Saturday's activities as well.

km12
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:36 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby km12 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:44 am

I'll be at ASW. I'm not planning on bringing anyone, but from my understanding of the invite guests are welcome both days.

User avatar
barrotmartin
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby barrotmartin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 am

For those of us who aren't able to make it to ASW, here's a Seattle's paper describing the space and architecture of Gates Hall:
http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/article/On- ... 129196.php

trojanseahawk
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby trojanseahawk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:58 am

90% going to UW. Went to the ASW and loved the building and the fact that UW seems to feed into the firms I'm interested in. Originally from Seattle, went to school in LA and have been working in DC. Excited to move back home!

ionoiforgot
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:24 am

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby ionoiforgot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 am

So I'm from CA, and I'm right now in South Korea. This makes everything an adventure in terms of keeping up with information about UW. Does anyone know the details about on-campus housing? It seems like from what I'm hearing, I might be inclined to just take campus housing if it is offered...

Anyone else here from out of state? :D

mdwc21
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: University of Washington Class of 2015

Postby mdwc21 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

-
Last edited by mdwc21 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest