Kentucky 2015 anyone?

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Not many Kentucky Law people seem to post on here, but it's worth a shot. So far my chances of attending are pretty high.

User avatar
USMCMatt
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby USMCMatt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 pm

I just got accepted there. I am from California.

It was my first application and first acceptance so I have yet to make a final decision....

TxRenegade2012
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby TxRenegade2012 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:06 pm

Got in with a scholarship to pull it down to in state, but it's gonna be hard to pull me out of the great state of Texas

skipIHSV
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby skipIHSV » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

I'm waiting on scholarship info but I'll most likely be there next fall.

econ_runner
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby econ_runner » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Accepted mid-January. So far top two choices are WVU and Kentucky. Heading over to Lex next week to check out the law school. Should be fun.

wightjm
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby wightjm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Just curious, what are your guy's numbers?

Im 157/3.5 OOS

Status says:

Current Status: File Pending for Decision

Current Status Date: 2/14/2012

Hoping for good news

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 pm

wightjm wrote:Just curious, what are your guy's numbers?

Im 157/3.5 OOS

Status says:

Current Status: File Pending for Decision

Current Status Date: 2/14/2012

Hoping for good news


3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!

MLONDER
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby MLONDER » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm leaning strongly towards heading up to UK in the Fall. Still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but the scholarship offer they gave me is pretty much unbeatable, and I'm not really a prestige-first/biglaw or bust type, so being able to go to an excellent school in a great college town seems pretty appealing to me.

I'm coming from OOS, South Carolina to be specific.

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm

MLONDER wrote:I'm leaning strongly towards heading up to UK in the Fall. Still waiting to hear back from a few schools, but the scholarship offer they gave me is pretty much unbeatable, and I'm not really a prestige-first/biglaw or bust type, so being able to go to an excellent school in a great college town seems pretty appealing to me.

I'm coming from OOS, South Carolina to be specific.


I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).

MLONDER
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby MLONDER » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeah, and scholarship money aside, I've been thoroughly impressed by my correspondence with the faculty throughout the recruitment process. I've had a couple of very informative phone conversations with members of the staff, and I've enjoyed the course teaser e-mails I've received from the professors. I just get a really friendly vibe from the staff, and the College doesn't seem as formulaic, competitive, and numbers-driven as the other schools I've had correspondence with.

We may be in the minority here, but I agree with you wholeheartedly about debt. I'd feel WAY more comfortable going out into the world with a UK Law degree and minimal debt than, say, an Emory Law degree and close to $200K of debt to pay off before I've even gotten started. UK has an unmatched reputation within the state of Kentucky, a great campus, a vibrant social scene, and the basketball team doesn't hurt it's cause either.

Like I said, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools, but UK is at the top of my list right now, and I'd say there's a 75-80% chance I'll be in Lexington next Fall. If that's the case, I hope to see some of you all there too!

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 pm

MLONDER wrote:Yeah, and scholarship money aside, I've been thoroughly impressed by my correspondence with the faculty throughout the recruitment process. I've had a couple of very informative phone conversations with members of the staff, and I've enjoyed the course teaser e-mails I've received from the professors. I just get a really friendly vibe from the staff, and the College doesn't seem as formulaic, competitive, and numbers-driven as the other schools I've had correspondence with.

We may be in the minority here, but I agree with you wholeheartedly about debt. I'd feel WAY more comfortable going out into the world with a UK Law degree and minimal debt than, say, an Emory Law degree and close to $200K of debt to pay off before I've even gotten started. UK has an unmatched reputation within the state of Kentucky, a great campus, a vibrant social scene, and the basketball team doesn't hurt it's cause either.

Like I said, I'm still waiting to hear back from a few other schools, but UK is at the top of my list right now, and I'd say there's a 75-80% chance I'll be in Lexington next Fall. If that's the case, I hope to see some of you all there too!


100% agreed!! Same experience with the recruitment staff and the emails from the professors. I expressed a strong interest to work in educational law (my entire personal statement was based on this) and the dean of admissions wrote in the handwritten note in the admissions letter that they have an education specialist and they would love to have me at UK, which attests to how they really DID look at my personal statement and actually responded to it! That was impressive to me.

kentuckylaw
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby kentuckylaw » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.

econ_runner
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby econ_runner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am

I wasn't able to make it down to Lexington to visit the law school because I caught the virus floating around my office, but after visiting WVU I'm pretty set on attending Kentucky. I'm hopefully going to visit the town in the coming weeks to scope out the apartment scene for graduate students.

cpannett
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby cpannett » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:13 pm

kentuckylaw wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.


for kentuckylaw - where would you suggest for housing?



ypark87 wrote:
3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!
&
I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).


for ypark87 - how much in scholarships were you offered? and what type of scholarship diversity v. merit, etc.?

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 pm

cpannett wrote:
kentuckylaw wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.


for kentuckylaw - where would you suggest for housing?



ypark87 wrote:
3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!
&
I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).


for ypark87 - how much in scholarships were you offered? and what type of scholarship diversity v. merit, etc.?


I was given the in-state tuition equalizer. I believe it is considered merit. Hope this helps!

Katilicus
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby Katilicus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:10 am

It's considered merit. According to the assistant dean that's all they are currently offering to out of staters (at least this late in the cycle). Not sure if this is actually true or just something to get me off the topic of negotiating.

cpannett
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby cpannett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Gotcha; that's what my offer was too. If your offer was something different, I was going to use it as leverage since I had higher scores to see if they'd offer me more. haha. But I guess it's one of those things that they're offering all the OOS people IS tuition in the the form of merit scholarships. Either way, it's nice.

are you guys still considering other law schools? or is everyone set on UK?

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 pm

cpannett wrote:Gotcha; that's what my offer was too. If your offer was something different, I was going to use it as leverage since I had higher scores to see if they'd offer me more. haha. But I guess it's one of those things that they're offering all the OOS people IS tuition in the the form of merit scholarships. Either way, it's nice.

are you guys still considering other law schools? or is everyone set on UK?


I am pretty set, barring any other offers of $$ and/or getting off the waitlist at other schools.

Katilicus
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby Katilicus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:26 pm

cpannett wrote:Gotcha; that's what my offer was too. If your offer was something different, I was going to use it as leverage since I had higher scores to see if they'd offer me more. haha. But I guess it's one of those things that they're offering all the OOS people IS tuition in the the form of merit scholarships. Either way, it's nice.

are you guys still considering other law schools? or is everyone set on UK?


I'm deciding. I'm actually leaning towards UC, higher ranked plus more $$ and no moving. But I'll be going to UK to visit in March, for the ASD as well as for a private visit and class visit. Since the $$ difference from the schools is enough to make me really question, its not enough to persuade me to not consider UK at all. I would like to visit. Honestly I'm taking a reasonable approach, every school that has offered me admissions I will go visit (within reason). I'm looking for the most comfortable fit for me, both financially and socially. If the school is not a comfortable environment for me, I don't care the rank, I wont go. Maybe that's a little silly, but hey, just my view.

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm

Katilicus wrote:
cpannett wrote:Gotcha; that's what my offer was too. If your offer was something different, I was going to use it as leverage since I had higher scores to see if they'd offer me more. haha. But I guess it's one of those things that they're offering all the OOS people IS tuition in the the form of merit scholarships. Either way, it's nice.

are you guys still considering other law schools? or is everyone set on UK?


I'm deciding. I'm actually leaning towards UC, higher ranked plus more $$ and no moving. But I'll be going to UK to visit in March, for the ASD as well as for a private visit and class visit. Since the $$ difference from the schools is enough to make me really question, its not enough to persuade me to not consider UK at all. I would like to visit. Honestly I'm taking a reasonable approach, every school that has offered me admissions I will go visit (within reason). I'm looking for the most comfortable fit for me, both financially and socially. If the school is not a comfortable environment for me, I don't care the rank, I wont go. Maybe that's a little silly, but hey, just my view.


I think that is a good view to look at. If you're going to be miserable there, why go, no matter how cheap or higher ranked it is? Anyone else who has visited or is planning to visit, please PM me or post here your impressions of the school! I unfortunately cannot visit and therefore would really appreciate any insight into others' visits.

kentuckylaw
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby kentuckylaw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 am

cpannett wrote:
kentuckylaw wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.


for kentuckylaw - where would you suggest for housing?



ypark87 wrote:
3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!
&
I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).


for ypark87 - how much in scholarships were you offered? and what type of scholarship diversity v. merit, etc.?


Dean Bakert should be sending you some information regarding housing. People live in several areas of town. My apartment is within walking distance, which I really like. But others like living further away from school where they can 'get away'. I wouldn't recommend living too far, however, because traffic in Lexington is pretty awful at the wrong time of day.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:25 am

ypark87 wrote:Not many Kentucky Law basketball people seem to post on here, but it's worth a shot. So far my chances of attending are pretty high.


Well, even though Anthony Davis, Terrence Ross and the gang will be gone, I am sure Calapari will continue to recruit well, and the 'Cats will continue to be dominant until he finally gets busted for violating the no-contact periods and tampering with signees from other schools after their announcements. :wink:

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

kentuckylaw wrote:
cpannett wrote:
kentuckylaw wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.


for kentuckylaw - where would you suggest for housing?



ypark87 wrote:
3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!
&
I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).


for ypark87 - how much in scholarships were you offered? and what type of scholarship diversity v. merit, etc.?


Dean Bakert should be sending you some information regarding housing. People live in several areas of town. My apartment is within walking distance, which I really like. But others like living further away from school where they can 'get away'. I wouldn't recommend living too far, however, because traffic in Lexington is pretty awful at the wrong time of day.


Is the graduate school housing legit at all? Or no

kentuckylaw
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby kentuckylaw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

ypark87 wrote:
kentuckylaw wrote:
cpannett wrote:
kentuckylaw wrote:Good luck everyone! I'm a 1L and really like it here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about UK.


for kentuckylaw - where would you suggest for housing?



ypark87 wrote:
3.22 and 156. Pretty amazed that I was accepted. So good luck to you!!
&
I agree with this. Their scholly money is pretty hard to beat and I am similarly looking to get out of law school with not 920347092734 dollars of debt (exaggeration obviously, but you get the idea).


for ypark87 - how much in scholarships were you offered? and what type of scholarship diversity v. merit, etc.?


Dean Bakert should be sending you some information regarding housing. People live in several areas of town. My apartment is within walking distance, which I really like. But others like living further away from school where they can 'get away'. I wouldn't recommend living too far, however, because traffic in Lexington is pretty awful at the wrong time of day.


Is the graduate school housing legit at all? Or no


I do know some people who live in the seminary, which is directly across the street from the school. They seem to like it, but I've never been inside. I'm not sure that I know of anyone who lives in any on-campus housing.

ypark87
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Kentucky 2015 anyone?

Postby ypark87 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=179831

Comment on this or read if you can -- it's about Kentucky + no ties = good? bad? Currently consensus seems to be that it's terrible if you don't have ties.




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest