Hastings Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 pm

^ Ignore my PM, you just answered it. lol What do you define as a top student?

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:The journals call you? I already accepted HLJ and withdrew from the other ones. I can't believe a class bumped you down, what a tool for a professor. Which one was it?


DePoorter -_-

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Sorry male- that sucks :( Im really scared that will happen to me too. On paper I'm good - mc, hlj, top 15, good summer gig, but you guys have me so worried that nothing is enough and I'll inevitably fail anyway. I've been trying to use my connections though and hopefully that will help something pan out. I thought working in house would be fun?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:The journals call you? I already accepted HLJ and withdrew from the other ones. I can't believe a class bumped you down, what a tool for a professor. Which one was it?


DePoorter -_-

What a tool. I wonder if that's why he crossed out my A- and have me a B+? Only I talked a couple times in the class so I don't know

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:The journals call you? I already accepted HLJ and withdrew from the other ones. I can't believe a class bumped you down, what a tool for a professor. Which one was it?


DePoorter -_-

What a tool. I wonder if that's why he crossed out my A- and have me a B+? Only I talked a couple times in the class so I don't know


Same things happened to me. I know a few people who scored B+ on the test but got an A- on the final. They asked him and he apparently said bump for participation.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:The journals call you? I already accepted HLJ and withdrew from the other ones. I can't believe a class bumped you down, what a tool for a professor. Which one was it?


DePoorter -_-

What a tool. I wonder if that's why he crossed out my A- and have me a B+? Only I talked a couple times in the class so I don't know


Same things happened to me. I know a few people who scored B+ on the test but got an A- on the final. They asked him and he apparently said bump for participation.

Omg that seriously pisses me off. Not only did I talk several times, but I raised my hand quite often but he didn't call on me and instead called on te typical gunners. That is REALLY infuriating.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:26 pm

I think he gave out too many A-'s too.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:30 pm

ilovesf wrote:Sorry male- that sucks :( Im really scared that will happen to me too. On paper I'm good - mc, hlj, top 15, good summer gig, but you guys have me so worried that nothing is enough and I'll inevitably fail anyway. I've been trying to use my connections though and hopefully that will help something pan out. I thought working in house would be fun?


thanks. your numbers look good, so i think you have a good chance at oci, definitely on the competitive side among your peers. probably will get several preselects and callbacks. the gap between "top" (whatever that may be) and the "rest" are so big that if you strike out at oci, it's just harder to find jobs since you guys will compete for the HCO postings.

in house has its perks, but most of my work is busy work. and i don't know if i'm being paranoid or not, but my boss seems to go on a power trip sometimes. i usually come in earlier and leave later than the attys to make a good impression, so adding the 2-hr roundtrip commute, i have 12-hour days pretty much. for that kind of time spent, i'd rather get firm experience, but what can you do.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:54 am

a male human wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Sorry male- that sucks :( Im really scared that will happen to me too. On paper I'm good - mc, hlj, top 15, good summer gig, but you guys have me so worried that nothing is enough and I'll inevitably fail anyway. I've been trying to use my connections though and hopefully that will help something pan out. I thought working in house would be fun?


thanks. your numbers look good, so i think you have a good chance at oci, definitely on the competitive side among your peers. probably will get several preselects and callbacks. the gap between "top" (whatever that may be) and the "rest" are so big that if you strike out at oci, it's just harder to find jobs since you guys will compete for the HCO postings.


This is the problem.

If you strike out at OCI (90% of you will), it's time to put shit into high gear in terms of networking and finding a post-grad job. It sounds crazy, but you very likely will have to spend as much time as possible for the next 2 years to find something.

Relying on HCO postings is not going to get you anywhere. Building relationships with professors, attorneys in an area you want to practice in, and with people who can vouch for you will start opening doors. The Bay Area being saturated with lawyers in every conceivable field is both a blessing and a curse in this regard depending on how you approach it. Your grades will be a huge determinant, but it's not impossible. I got something being ~40th percentile (and this is after a handful of A's 2L year), and I owe it entirely to getting people to vouch for me through recommendations and phone calls.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 pm

hiima3L wrote:
a male human wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Sorry male- that sucks :( Im really scared that will happen to me too. On paper I'm good - mc, hlj, top 15, good summer gig, but you guys have me so worried that nothing is enough and I'll inevitably fail anyway. I've been trying to use my connections though and hopefully that will help something pan out. I thought working in house would be fun?


thanks. your numbers look good, so i think you have a good chance at oci, definitely on the competitive side among your peers. probably will get several preselects and callbacks. the gap between "top" (whatever that may be) and the "rest" are so big that if you strike out at oci, it's just harder to find jobs since you guys will compete for the HCO postings.


This is the problem.

If you strike out at OCI (90% of you will), it's time to put shit into high gear in terms of networking and finding a post-grad job. It sounds crazy, but you very likely will have to spend as much time as possible for the next 2 years to find something.

Relying on HCO postings is not going to get you anywhere. Building relationships with professors, attorneys in an area you want to practice in, and with people who can vouch for you will start opening doors. The Bay Area being saturated with lawyers in every conceivable field is both a blessing and a curse in this regard depending on how you approach it. Your grades will be a huge determinant, but it's not impossible. I got something being ~40th percentile (and this is after a handful of A's 2L year), and I owe it entirely to getting people to vouch for me through recommendations and phone calls.

definitely, learning how to network will help you at least figure out what employers in your area like to see. i haven't gotten to the point where people will make phone calls for me (just email intros). it'll be hard for anyone to recommend you to big firms if your gpa isn't even listed, which is why i don't think HCO listings (mostly non-biglaw) should be ignored. they should be done in parallel to networking to maximize your coverage of applications. and eventually the pool of applicants narrows down as employers post into june and on. some will even contact you back as late as may/june/july to ask if you have something lined up yet.

as for me, i got mine by keeping in touch with someone at a career fair, even though i was knocked out at the screening stage. i like to think i did well on the interview as well.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 pm

There are tons of things listed on symplicity right now actually. I'm surprised to see so many good firms listing positions. I'm going to start applying for some of these things for next summer.

I also realized I spelled a firms name incorrectly in one part of my cl. I said their name four times and made a typo once. I hate myself.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:There are tons of things listed on symplicity right now actually. I'm surprised to see so many good firms listing positions. I'm going to start applying for some of these things for next summer.

I also realized I spelled a firms name incorrectly in one part of my cl. I said their name four times and made a typo once. I hate myself.


Mispronouncing the firm names is equally bad. I thought Knobbe was pronounced "knob". It is actually pronounced "kin-oh-be" much like the old man in Star Wars.

Helpful Links

--LinkRemoved--

http://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciations

From http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163524
Last edited by DildaMan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:38 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:There are tons of things listed on symplicity right now actually. I'm surprised to see so many good firms listing positions. I'm going to start applying for some of these things for next summer.

I also realized I spelled a firms name incorrectly in one part of my cl. I said their name four times and made a typo once. I hate myself.


Mispronouncing the firm names are equally as bad. I thought Knobbe was pronounced "knob".

Helpful Link

--LinkRemoved--

:lol: hopefully no one reads the cls thoroughly anyway.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lisavj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:47 pm

another good tip I heard: call up the firm after hours and see how they pronounce their name on their answering machine...

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

lisavj wrote:another good tip I heard: call up the firm after hours and see how they pronounce their name on their answering machine...


I actually had a friend who was doing that around 11 PM and someone picked up. Needless to say she panicked and hung up. :P

Are you double dipping OCI lisavj?

lucield
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 am

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lucield » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 pm

i'm hoping bidding outside the bay helped - i bit the bullet and even applied to sacramento and fresno for pretty high bids .... -_-

since that means mostly mid size cali firms, maybe it'll be easier to get pre-selects.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 pm

lucield wrote:i'm hoping bidding outside the bay helped - i bit the bullet and even applied to sacramento and fresno for pretty high bids .... -_-

since that means mostly mid side cali firms, maybe it'll be easier to get pre-selects.

Hopefully! I bid only sf/sv and 1 DC firm.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lisavj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm

DildaMan wrote:
Are you double dipping OCI lisavj?


Heck no. I already withdrew from Hastings. Plus I personally see double dipping as shady, and try to play above the board at all times. Y'alls are just the ones chatting at the moment, I have the day off, and I want Hastings to get more jobs b/c I actually like them - they took a chance on me despite my LSAT ineptitude (that's a real word). I wish they would stop the steady slide to the bottom of the T1.

edit: (always *conclude*, classic LWR mistake) therefore, I want to share the advice I've gleaned that is good. I can go away if I'm bugging y'alls.

lucield
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 am

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lucield » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

i think that the reduction in class size (even though the prices are being raised by like 15%) + the buzz that hastings generated in the national press bc of it = stopping the bleeding. i think we even might move up a rank or two this year.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Did anyone else get an email form a firm they bid on asking them to submit an app through their website as well?

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

I got one from Foley & Lardner earlier in the week.

lucield
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 am

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lucield » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Yup. about 10 minutes ago.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:20 pm

lisavj wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
Are you double dipping OCI lisavj?


Heck no. I already withdrew from Hastings. Plus I personally see double dipping as shady, and try to play above the board at all times. Y'alls are just the ones chatting at the moment, I have the day off, and I want Hastings to get more jobs b/c I actually like them - they took a chance on me despite my LSAT ineptitude (that's a real word). I wish they would stop the steady slide to the bottom of the T1.

edit: (always *conclude*, classic LWR mistake) therefore, I want to share the advice I've gleaned that is good. I can go away if I'm bugging y'alls.


Haha, no way your presence is always welcome. There aren't too many of us left on the boards.

If I may ask, what practice area of law were you looking into?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

lucield wrote:Yup. about 10 minutes ago.

Probs the same place. Are you going to respond and say thanks or just fill it out online?

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby lisavj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Litigation - preferably Tax or IP (full disclosure: my background is three years of seminary and three years as a youth pastor, not a PhD) but open to whatevs.

Also really hoping to do some writing on tax policy and churches as 501(c)3's - is a tax break a subsidy? how does that interact with, oh, say certain amendments, etc. Should there be a housing tax allowance? Should the ACA only permit religious exceptions to the tax penalty for Christian Scientists...that sort of stuff. (And Prof Bankman tells me there is oh so much more to plumb here - yay!)

Finally looking forward to trying to take a class with Michael McConnell, who teaches a class on Democracy in America, which was the topic of my senior thesis in undergrad. Looking forward to seeing what the legal perspective on that is...




Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests