Hastings Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
DildaMan

Re: Hastings Class of 2015

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Federal Income Tax was the gunner class. -_- Aside from that, everything else felt pretty balanced.

credited. sincerely hoping that i never have another class with some of the more insufferable contributors from tax.

If it weren't for Fields' awesome explanations of tax law, I would have entirely skipped attending those lectures. Thank god I did not sit next to the guy who laughs like a hyena. I was near the guy who kept asking questions to which the answer was inevitably: "Okay, that's a stupid question/Ask me after class."

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

DildaMan wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Federal Income Tax was the gunner class. -_- Aside from that, everything else felt pretty balanced.

credited. sincerely hoping that i never have another class with some of the more insufferable contributors from tax.

If it weren't for Fields' awesome explanations of tax law, I would have entirely skipped attending those lectures. Thank god I did not sit next to the guy who laughs like a hyena. I was near the guy who kept asking questions to which the answer was inevitably: "Okay, that's a stupid question/Ask me after class."

I wish I knew who these people were

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:51 pm

DildaMan wrote:^ Did you end up with an IP SA position for this summer? I got crapped on 1L, but I'm getting a lot more love this year.

Not a firm SA position but an in-house one.

DildaMan wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:

Rob?

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

ilovesf wrote:I wish I knew who these people were

Might have been me. Hope not. Was worth it if it was though.

My theory: if my comments bug you, raise your hand and say somethin more intelligent. I always wanted more people to chime in.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

lisavj wrote:

My theory: if my comments bug you, raise your hand and say somethin more intelligent. I always wanted more people to chime in.

I don't think it was you, unless you asked the same question in different ways several times a lecture, were a dude, and located smack dab in the center of the room.

To confess, I honestly don't really pay attention to the discussions in class. I'm only annoyed if we're trying to cover that last bit of material before the next class comes in, and someone asks a fairly useless question that adds nothing to the discussion.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:22 pm

a male human wrote:
DildaMan wrote:^ Did you end up with an IP SA position for this summer? I got crapped on 1L, but I'm getting a lot more love this year.

Not a firm SA position but an in-house one.

DildaMan wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:

Rob?

No clue on names haha...

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:32 pm

DildaMan wrote:were a dude

Nope. Not me then.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:56 pm

lisavj wrote:

don't get me wrong, i'm definitely a proponent of class participation. i think though, that those folks who repeatedly get "ask me after class" should take the hint. i also believe that there are plenty of people exhibiting a serious Hermione complex rather than a genuine desire to contribute.

tbf though, my most unpleasant interaction with a tax alum was outside of class. he expressed his feelings that only one professor was worthy of his respect first semester. i also had the privilege of sitting in on a moot court practice with him. just yikes.

i would say the vast majority of the people in tax were chill bros and gals, it just seemed like some of the more unpleasant folks were overrepresented in there.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:01 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
lisavj wrote:

don't get me wrong, i'm definitely a proponent of class participation. i think though, that those folks who repeatedly get "ask me after class" should take the hint. i also believe that there are plenty of people exhibiting a serious Hermione complex rather than a genuine desire to contribute.

tbf though, my most unpleasant interaction with a tax alum was outside of class. he expressed his feelings that only one professor was worthy of his respect first semester. i also had the privilege of sitting in on a moot court practice with him. just yikes.

i would say the vast majority of the people in tax were chill bros and gals, it just seemed like some of the more unpleasant folks were overrepresented in there.

I don't know what Stat class the worst guy in my section was in, but if it was tax, he was probably the annoying one. I'm sure kap knows who I'm talking about. Dilda weren't you in our section too?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Yup. I'm basically mute and do all my question asking in Office Hours so I don't think it was me. :P

Are you referring to an individual who speaks to others as if they were inferior, brings economics into every discussion ( whether it warrants it or not ), and wears glasses?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm

DildaMan wrote:Yup. I'm basically mute and do all my question asking in Office Hours so I don't think it was me. :P

Are you referring to an individual who speaks to others as if they were inferior, brings economics into every discussion ( whether it warrants it or not ), and wears glasses?

LOL no not at all. I wasn't saying it was you, I was wondering if you could guess who I was talking about, but you didn't. I don't see how you couldn't guess the guy I was thinking of since everyone I know hates on him.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Hmmm... I think I just described Depoorter's physical traits, but he's an awesome person who isn't snobby at all.

Are you talking about the really tall guy? Rides a bike, asks a crap-ton of questions. Had a "It's a trap" T-Shirt? I've heard people talking about two or three people in our section. For the most part, everyone is pretty nice.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:54 pm

DildaMan wrote:Hmmm... I think I just described Depoorter's physical traits, but he's an awesome person who isn't snobby at all.

Are you talking about the really tall guy? Rides a bike, asks a crap-ton of questions. Had a "It's a trap" T-Shirt? I've heard people talking about two or three people in our section. For the most part, everyone is pretty nice.

Lol I don't know who you are but did you ever go to class? Anyway I'm not going to describe who I'm talking about anymore because I don't want to openly say mean things about anyone in specific on here.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:06 pm

btw are you guys rising 2Ls or

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:11 pm

a male human wrote:btw are you guys rising 2Ls or

Yes

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 pm

DildaMan wrote:Are you referring to an individual who speaks to others as if they were inferior, brings economics into every discussion ( whether it warrants it or not ), and wears glasses?

ROFL. That's a pretty good description of me. :lol:

SF is talking about the guy who never bathed, wore a hairband during most classes, has a huge tattoo on his left arm and asked more questions than our entire section combined.

P.S. Can professors be gunners? Depoorter may qualify.
Last edited by kapital98 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Sorry for hijacking your thread. You only have one month left before 1L.

I feel so sorry for you.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 pm

kapital98 wrote:

I feel so sorry for you.

oh no, from an earlier post i thought you guys were rising 3Ls like me

however you can still feel sorry for me because i am now an empty husk of a person who had his money, confidence in his future, and will to go on sucked dry by the black widow(er) hastings

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 pm

a male human wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I feel so sorry for you.

however you can still feel sorry for me because i am now an empty husk of a person who had his money, confidence in his future, and will to go on sucked dry by the black widow(er) hastings

Lol no I'm still having that pre oci optimism. When I strike out at oci I'll become bitter like all the 3L posters here.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:45 pm

I think virtually all of us future 1Ls have moved onto the Facebook group.

So, keep the thread hijacking going. It gives us something to read here. The more Hastings threads the better! :-D

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 pm

apollo2015 wrote:I think virtually all of us future 1Ls have moved onto the Facebook group.

So, keep the thread hijacking going. It gives us something to read here. The more Hastings threads the better! :-D

Facebook is not anonymous. Once you start taking classes together that will become a problem.

With rare exception, our "Hastings 2014" facebook thread is essentially a place for people to sell stuff and try to get subletters.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 pm

kapital98 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:I think virtually all of us future 1Ls have moved onto the Facebook group.

Facebook is not anonymous. Once you start taking classes together that will become a problem.

With rare exception, our "Hastings 2014" facebook thread is essentially a place for people to sell stuff and try to get subletters.

This isn't totally anonymous either :P Someone could figure out who I am in a hot second. Just like we found out who each other are.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:00 pm

kapital98 wrote:
DildaMan wrote:Are you referring to an individual who speaks to others as if they were inferior, brings economics into every discussion ( whether it warrants it or not ), and wears glasses?

ROFL. That's a pretty good description of me. :lol:

SF is talking about the guy who never bathed, wore a hairband during most classes, has a huge tattoo on his left arm and asked more questions than our entire section combined.

P.S. Can professors be gunners? Depoorter may qualify.

He has tenure. :P

ilovesf wrote:Lol I don't know who you are but did you ever go to class? Anyway I'm not going to describe who I'm talking about anymore because I don't want to openly say mean things about anyone in specific on here.

I didn't really go to class regularly... I went to office hours instead. I did get bumped down a grade in one class because I didn't contribute to the discussion. Anyone get calls from the journals yet?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:04 pm

ilovesf wrote:
a male human wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I feel so sorry for you.

Lol no I'm still having that pre oci optimism. When I strike out at oci I'll become bitter like all the 3L posters here.

yeah i remember i was all excited to show how i special i was because i had all these extracurriculars like being an inaugural board member of the ip club, declining CLQ to join STLJ, having an IP-related unpaid summer internship, and planning to (and passing) the patent bar. when i went to a meet the employers fair, the recruiter told me to "do these things x y z to show your enthusiasm :)" and i was like "oh ok!" and actually did tailor a few activities toward my preferred area before bidding. ofc no one ever mentioned how grades are king. come interview time (gotten thru lottery) i saw that she circled my gpa with a question mark. i wonder how hard she tried to contain her laughter during the 20 minutes. man i wasted so much time ranking my bids and tailoring my cover letters (who actually reads them anyway)

i am almost having anxiety attacks as i type or for some reason adrenaline won't stop flowing; i'm on edge for no reason lately and having to tell myself not to give up. "networking" came to a dead end after being referred to someone else for the 8th time, the assignment at work right now is frustrating and truly only the intern can do because no one else would do this, i don't like my 1-hr commutes, and i keep making mistakes elsewhere because my brain is scattered or something. made a fool of myself in front of the executive board of my journal just this morning. haven't felt this rock bottom in a long time as if i have nothing redeeming about myself at this moment. regretting the moment the thought "what about law school" popped in my head at my prior job around 2009. forgive me if i don't have the strength to capitalize my shit in every post from now on.

sorry, hope i didn't party poop the 2L circle. you guys are in the clear if you're one of the top students :D

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 pm

The journals call you? I already accepted HLJ and withdrew from the other ones. I can't believe a class bumped you down, what a tool for a professor. Which one was it?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”